Will there be actual ground troops to support? Will gun actually kick up dirt?

A-10 pilots often fly with a pair of binoculars. I'm not sure whether binoculars will be implemented into the game though. They also have the little TV screen on the right side of the panel. You can use that to attempt to get a closer look at what's happening on the ground.

I'd say ground references are the best though (when you can't see the target and you don't have a laser designation of some kind, of course ;)). Key words like "In the red house on the left side of the main road" work well when trying to coordinate accurate CAS support.

I don't know how far the game will go with the ground aspect, but for REAL CAS most hog pilots rely on references and coordinates. Hog pilots do often fly low and slow to get a visual, but for the most part, they will hit what the JTAC/FAC tells them to hit and not even see the individual infantryman.

(Note: CAS pilots love laser designations.)

"Don't tell mom I'm a pilot, she thinks I play piano at a whore house."

A-10 pilots often fly with a pair of binoculars. I'm not sure whether binoculars will be implemented into the game though.....

No need for Bino's ;)

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/munitions/litening.htm

......They also have the little TV screen on the right side of the panel. You can use that to attempt to get a closer look at what's happening on the ground.....

That was the A10A....Now you have two nifty MCFD's with oodles of buttons to tinker with!

• Like 1

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

A-10 pilots often fly with a pair of binoculars. I'm not sure whether binoculars will be implemented into the game though. They also have the little TV screen on the right side of the panel. You can use that to attempt to get a closer look at what's happening on the ground.

Zoom.

Maybe not as fun as having a "scope" view as you look out, but I'd like to think that zoom is like having a pair of binos handy.

(And yes, it's 270, though you will need to keep deviation and such in mind.)

Nope, the HSI will give you magnetic, not true, thus deviation not an issue for the pilot. If you look at 270 on your HSI you will know immediately where magnetic west is. Donno if the hog has a mag/true switch since it's only really needed flying close to the poles.

The FAC on the ground looking at a paper map is the one that needs to worry about deviation, not the pilot flying overhead.

With the price of ammunition these days do not expect a warning shot.

This sim is going to mean a lot of missed homework and even more laziness.

Instead, do your homework so in the future you'll have a chance to fly these in real life! :P

• Like 1

"Don't tell mom I'm a pilot, she thinks I play piano at a whore house."

• 3 months later...

Couple of questions about GAU8;

Can the ammo mix/type be customized, are there tracer rounds? (I know this has been asked but I'm not clear on the answer)

And a slightly more obscure one; do FLIR sensors pick up all 30mm rounds as heat sources, regardless of the rounds having a tracer element? (I'm wondering if they get hot enough in flight to be picked up by IR)

System specifications: Computer, joystick, DCS world, Beer

IIRC, no tracers. GAU-8 bullets are so tense and fast that you can rely only on piper to know where they will appear. Tracers also decreases barrels lifespan, and barrel lifespan has been a big concern from the beginning so tracers are kept out of the equation all the time.

Its also show a much wider pattern of firing than we have ingame if those are GAU shot. I have the filling theyre not.

other videos, of GAU busting tanks for example, are much less wide which make sense cause you have to put the max lead into the armored mover to be sure to disable it.

Has the gau diferent spreading pattern?

HaF 922, Asus rampage extreme 3 gene, I7 950 with Noctua D14, MSI gtx 460 hawk, G skill 1600 8gb, 1.5 giga samsung HD.

Track IR 5, Hall sensed Cougar, Hall sensed TM RCS TM Warthog(2283), TM MFD, Saitek pro combat rudder, Cougar MFD.

Gattlings are, by design, not the most accurate of weapons, although AFAIK for a gatling, the avenger is quite accurate. The trick is just spray and pray.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

Gattlings are, by design, not the most accurate of weapons, although AFAIK for a gatling, the avenger is quite accurate. The trick is just spray and pray.

Aye - at 70 rounds a second the chances are pretty good something's gonna hit. It only takes one to ruin your breakfast......

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Its also show a much wider pattern of firing than we have ingame if those are GAU shot. I have the filling theyre not.

other videos, of GAU busting tanks for example, are much less wide which make sense cause you have to put the max lead into the armored mover to be sure to disable it.

Has the gau diferent spreading pattern?

It all depends on range.

With a cold barrel, 80% of GAU-8/A rounds impact within 5 mils of the aimpoint, and 100% of rounds fall within 13 mils.

A hot barrel can yield 20 mils for 80%, and 30 mils for 100%.

Not so noticeable when you're shooting a T-72 in the ass at 2500ft slant range, but on a 15,000ft slant range LRS attack, it's a big pattern.

Also consider dive angle. The steeper the dive, the less effect dispersion has on the bullet footprint. Normal dispersion will have a much larger effect on bullet footprint for a LAS delivery.

EDIT: Wags beat me to it. Sorry.

Edited by BlueRidgeDx

"They've got us surrounded again - those poor bastards!" - Lt. Col. Creighton Abrams

I saw at least 4 times in those "cleared hot" video clips ground troops running away. Not including the gun run on the cows lol.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

System Specs

Intel I7-3930K, Asrock EXTREME9, EVGA TITAN, Mushkin Chronos SSD, 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z series 2133, TM Warthog and MFD's, Saitek Proflight Combat pedals, TrackIR 5 + TrackClip PRO, Windows 7 x64, 3-Asus VS2248H-P monitors, Thermaltake Level 10 GT, Obutto cockpit