DCS A-10C QUESTIONS

Peyoteros

My bad:doh::D just don't know why I've heard so many other things about it representing a bad lock, etc

In DCS the pointing cross behaviour is backwards, a flashing pointing cross does indeed indicate a lock that is unlikely to survive launch in reality, in DCS however it indicates a good lock.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

My bad:doh::D just don't know why I've heard so many other things about it representing a bad lock, etc

Love this first link , since it is answering to you already.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2942609&postcount=4781

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=75055

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=71672

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=205059&postcount=3

Edited by mvsgas

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

When I want to record a replay, I want the displays to disappear when using F2 and F3 so I can see only the aircraft from outside. Anyone know how to do that?

Not sure if I understand, you want what displays to disappear in F2 view?

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

When I want to record a replay, I want the displays to disappear when using F2 and F3 so I can see only the aircraft from outside. Anyone know how to do that?

Hi, you find the command in "general" commands : it's left Ctrl + Y (you have to press Y two times to make the display to disappear, one time only change speed indicator)

In DCS the pointing cross behaviour is backwards, a flashing pointing cross does indeed indicate a lock that is unlikely to survive launch in reality, in DCS however it indicates a good lock.

Based on DCS: AV-8B Harrier vids I'm watching, looks like ED caught on to the error and made the pointing cross solid when locked, flashing when not.

I have never used the game mode, but as far as I know, there is no way to take those off in game mode.

To whom it may concern,

Sorry my bad English :)

I do not want to see the MFCD's when I use F2 and F3 view. Is that possible somehow in easy mode?

If my memory serves me well, there were some key combinations with F keys, with which you can toggle the screens.

Check your Game View settings and the Game mode manual

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

I got a question, I've always wondered

On switches such as the anti-collision lights and the EAC, is there a physical reason the switches flip back when the required conditions are not met ?

If not, it is kinda stupid to force them in the off position.

Lets say you fence in and when you fence out, you can not use your hotas to engage all your lights again, you have to reach for the switch.

Same with the EAC.

Why is it not like most of the other switches in the cockpit, which are not forced in any position. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work no matter the switch position.

'Shadow'

The switches are solenoid held in the on position, if the required conditions are not met the solenoids are not energised.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

The switches are solenoid held in the on position, if the required conditions are not met the solenoids are not energised.

I see. Thank you once again.

Is this described in the manual. Are all the switches like that ? Why is that ? Makes it annoying to flip the collision lights on all the time

'Shadow'

No, not all the switches are like that, only the switches that can “automatically” set themselves to off. It’s like that to allow things such as the HOTAS pinky switch turning off the anti-col lights, or the stick paddle to disengage SAS and anti-skid.

This is how most aircraft work, it’s not at all unique to the A-10.

Spoiler

Well, yeah... obviously the A-10 hasn't been the first.

Just, I find it strange to have the possibility to turn off the anti-collision lights with the HOTAS, but not turn them back on. The navigation lights also get turned off by the pinky switch, but they stay on

I really am curious about this ... huh

'Shadow'

If you’re flying in formation, you wouldn’t want your anti-col lights on (unless you’re the last aircraft in the formation,and maybe not even then), but you would want to turn your nav lights back on. It also allows for temporarily turning nav and/or formation lights back on to facilitate rejoins.

Having that switch solenoid held allows for such (common) situations.

Spoiler

I always thought the Mav pointing cross was the other way. Assumed it was something special to the A-10 (like launch inhibit where in other a/c it is hot pickle).

Is boat switch supposed to change the polarity of the video or just the symbols and if it's looking for black dots vs. white dots?

But if its supposed to be unified behavior then flashing cross means marginal track (in sim out of angle limits presumably in reality other causes as well). Solid cross is either not tracking at all or good track.

Strobe lights are extremely bright which is disruptive to formation night flying. It's like a very strong camera flash. Having a spring-loaded-conditionally-electromagnetically-held switch means you can drop the strobes quickly but retain all other lighting by cycling pinky. I guess it also discourages pinky-dim with strobe use. I don't know if it's typical real use but I like to do that when exiting the runway to taxi without strobes.

I always thought the Mav pointing cross was the other way. Assumed it was something special to the A-10 (like launch inhibit where in other a/c it is hot pickle).

Is boat switch supposed to change the polarity of the video or just the symbols and if it's looking for black dots vs. white dots?

But if its supposed to be unified behavior then flashing cross means marginal track (in sim out of angle limits presumably in reality other causes as well). Solid cross is either not tracking at all or good track.

Strobe lights are extremely bright which is disruptive to formation night flying. It's like a very strong camera flash. Having a spring-loaded-conditionally-electromagnetically-held switch means you can drop the strobes quickly but retain all other lighting by cycling pinky. I guess it also discourages pinky-dim with strobe use. I don't know if it's typical real use but I like to do that when exiting the runway to taxi without strobes.

I am guessing it to the fact that they are not bright at all in DCS :D. Will take in mind

'Shadow'

The boat switch/polarity switch doesn't change the polarity of the video (white hot/black hot) as with the TGP, it just changes what the maverick seeker is looking for and will track as you allude to. i.e hot object on cold background or cold object on hot background with an IR Mav, and dark object on light background or light object on dark background with a CCD Mav. The Symbology on the display simply changes to indicate which is selected. The missile needs to know what contrast difference you want it to track if/when it sees it.

Incorrect polarity selection is one of the main reasons for acquisition failure in reality. It's not modelled in DCS sadly.

Edited by Eddie

Spoiler

I am guessing it to the fact that they are not bright at all in DCS :D. Will take in mind

IRL the anti-col strobes are quite literally blinding when close at night. They are also visible from tens of miles away in clear conditions, DCS doesn't represent them well at all with the current aircraft lighting effects.

Spoiler