Graphics Effects

Speedfreak

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Non of the other sim/games model aircraft to the detail DCS does. Easy to give eyes candy and nothing else. I prefer complex systems and flight dynamics over eye candy.

I also think DCS have a lot of amazing graphics, better than most sims

Edited by mvsgas

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

It's much simpler to create eye candy sweets than advanced complex systems.

Anyway someone talented should create new explosions.

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

Is there any construcitve criticism coming from you? What is it especially that you don't like/could be made better?

If you criticise, you should at least take the time and make it constructive. Bashing alone just won't do. :)

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

Terrain, explosions etc. in Wings of Prey or Apache: Air Assault really rocks.

But DCS: A10C...

I can not understand this in a modern flight sim.

Are you seriously comparing Wings of Prey or Apache: Air Assault to DCS-A10c? Please, its like comparing apple & oranges.

i5-3570K @ 4.5 Ghz, Asus P8Z77-V, 8 GB DDR3, 1.5GB GTX 480 (EVGA, superclocked), SSD, 2 x 1680x1050, x-fi extreme music.

TM Warthog, Saitek combat pro pedals, TrackIR 4

Is there any construcitve criticism coming from you? What is it especially that you don't like/could be made better?

I don't really like arcade sims like Wings of Prey etc. so I really enjoy the DCS: A10C beta. DCS: A10C with really high-end graphic for terrain,explosions etc. would be very nice.

candy sweets

They are bad for your health. :D

Back to the thread. DCS A10 is still in beta. It's not the end product. Secondly have you checked out the detailed damage modeling offered in this survey sim? DCS explosions are fine. They are not a turn off or a game-breaker. I would suggest you wait and give it another chance. Not to mention there are some pretty great modders in this community so it is entirely possible that there will be many eye candy mods released after release.

Edited by Konovalov

Intel i7-8700K | Asus Maximus X Formula | Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Gainward Phoenix GTX1070 GLH | Samsung 960 EVO NVMe 1 x 250GB OS & 1 x 500GB Games | Corsair RM750x 750W | Corsair Carbide Air 540| Win10 | Dell 27" 1440p 60Hz | Custom water loop: CPU EK-Supremacy EVO, GPU EK-GTX JetStream - Acetal+Nickel & Backplate, Radiator EK-Coolstream PE 360, Pump & Res EK-XRES 140 Revo D5, Fans 3 x EK-Vardar 120mm & 2 x Corsair ML140 140mm

Well, you sucker me in the conversation :D but

eKgPY1adc0A

:megalol:

• Like 2

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Simply put everyone here prefers realism and physics modeling over graphics. The current DCS BS graphics are a mix of average graphics, outstanding 3D models*** and some PITA graphic glitches like sky colors, transparency of units on sensors displays and poor haze implementation.

From what I've seen so far in the A-10C screenshots topic the new graph engine is a general improvement and there are high chances that the most annoying quirks from the old engine will be eliminated either by dedicated work of programmers or 'granted'. I hope ED will focus on the quirks that stick out (there are definitely too much of them now). With that ironed out all you have is a new line of 3D engine that looks like it will be evolving in a satisfactory pace.

*** Some of the 3D models in DCS are actually much better than those used in the very recent FPS games! Download the big image (mediafire link) and see for yourself.

Take a look at the lighter areas.

th_dcs_black_shark_bucic_apr_2010_015_.jpg

Original ~3000x3000 image here http://www.mediafire.com/?am7hd2606akewks

Edited by Bucic

Having grown up with the first of flightsims that were available, I've always been dreaming about flying a simulator in a believable virtual environment. When I flew the A-10C simulator for the first time it felt like that dream finally came true.

For me personally, I do not need better graphics then the level currently in place. Some effects, like clouds and indeed explosions could be better but for me the overall engine is more then enough. I rather have more airplanes, better AI, better mission planner and so on then better graphics. As most people here, I've put up with a lot of imagination in the past, including imagining a green wireframe box on a black background was a T-72 speeding across the terrain, firing shells at blufor tanks with dust kicking up behind it, muzzle flashes, engine sounds, you name it.

Check this:

http://stiggyblog.wordpress.com/2009/07/11/old-flight-simulator-games/

then think green monochrome monitor.

Yes these are not modern flightsims but since we are comparing DCS to wings of prey and air assault, the comparison was flawed anyways ;)

• Like 1

I7920/12GBDDR3/ASUS P6T DELUXE V2/MSI GTX 960 GAMING 4G /WIN 10 Ultimate/TM HOTAS WARTHOG

Well, you sucker me in the conversation :D but

eKgPY1adc0A

:megalol:

Unbelievable that he screwed that up so bad lol.

It's all been said here. Where Wings Of Prey may have put so many hours into creating textures, those same hours in DCS may have gone into avionics in for example. Of course we want both, but resources are limited.

Also, Sure Wings Of Prey looks excellent on your PC with those super graphics, but try adding DCS physics with those same graphics and your machine might start to feel like it is from 1999 :)

With all new AC for DCS we got something new, A10 adding HDR, TSAA, Beautyfull Water, streetlamps, grass... Who knows what another DCS Module brings us? :thumbup: (i bet clouds;))

EDIT: Wings of Prey and Apache AA - shooters for limited entertainment, without physics, "for kids" flying model, with maps big as my bathroom

Edited by Miro
  • Like 1

:pilotfly:

Terrain, explosions etc. in Wings of Prey or Apache: Air Assault really rocks.

But DCS: A10C...

I can not understand this in a modern flight sim.

Did you ever play Falcon 4? Not great graphically but one of the best sims to date. graphics dont make a sim the amonunt of detail in the pit makes the sim. Besiddes from your point of view(the pit) the most you should see is a little explosion and smoke.

I'm guessing you weren't flying when Janes F-18, F-15E, Falcon 3/4, etc. were out? Just to get to this level of graphics in a sim is a dream. Not everyone can handle high-end graphics and even though some can they would rather dump the graphics down for performance. If you want the whole theatrical deal go play Apache or Hawx...;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

EtherealN: I will promptly perform a sex change and offer my hand in marriage to whomever

Also, Sure Wings Of Prey looks excellent on your PC with those super graphics, but try adding DCS physics with those same graphics and your machine might start to feel like it is from 1999 :)

Optimization :D

It's programmers job to make game best optimized and use most as possible new solutions, as example many cores. Even today many years after multi-core have been introduced, games which fully work with many cores we can count on one hand's fingers.

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

if you think about it in real life if your a pilot when you launch you dooms day weapon you dont get a close up cam of the hit, jsut possibly see the smoke as you pass over.

DCS A10 is a huge improvement over KA-50 IMHO, I am looking forward to seeing waht the devs have in store for us next :)

Thanks mithandra

Custom built W10 Pro 64Bit, Intel Core i9 9900k, Asus ROG Maximus Code XI Z390, 64GB DDR4 3200 RGB, Samsung 1TB NVme M.2 Drive, Gigabyte AORUS 2080TI, 40" Iiyama Display. Wacom Cintiq Pro 24, HOTAS Virpil T50 Stick / FA-18C TM Stick and Virpil T50 Throttle, MFG Crosswind Graphite Pedals. HP Reverb

SPECTER

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lead Terrain Developer / Texture Artist

if code handle two online crewman in AH-64 this will be best option, if not F-16 (like i post earlier - multirole, and everyone got him in our Country)

Man I hope not another F-16. I hate single engine planes, Im hoping for a Su/Mig or F-18/F-14. I really do hope ED stays away from the 16. Its already been done and done fairly well at that.

• Like 1

I have no problem with the current Graffic, I think it look just grate!

And this is a sim not a sim for everybody!

MB:MSI X79A-GD45

CPU:Intel Core i7 3930K 3.2GHz

Ram:16 gb

Grafik :GTX 680 Sli

Win 7 64 bit

1200 W

2 ssd 120 gb

1 2 TB western Digital Caviar Green

I don't get why everytime somebody compares the graphics of one game to DCS A-10, everyone goes mad with "OMFG THOSE GAMES AREN'T AS COMPLEX". OP wasn't talking about the gameplay, he was talking about graphics.

Yes it's a game centered around realism, which is exactly why having small explosions draws some people out of the immersion.

If you want the whole theatrical deal go play Apache or Hawx...;)
Things like this really annoy me. Maybe he doesn't want to play Apache or Hawx...maybe he wants to play A-10 but with an option to turn on halfway decent explosions.

People who compare other games graphics to A-10 aren't saying those games are better, they're just saying what would make A-10 better, and imo anyway, a 2000lb bomb should look like a bomb explosion, not like a ten year old with a fuel can and a box of matches. It seems like everytime somebody mentions even something in any way negative about this game, they get rushed by a crowd of angry, sheep behaved fan boys.

Either way, it's still in beta so we can hope. Maybe somebody might mod some decent explosions in anyway.

if you think about it in real life if your a pilot when you launch you dooms day weapon you dont get a close up cam of the hit, jsut possibly see the smoke as you pass over.
Uhm, the player isn't always the one firing the weapons. You've got wingmates...other players online...not to mention mavericks are generally seen in the distance as well.
Edited by Divinity10
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

To think of that LO FC 2 / DCS / Warthog Beta explosions are awful. There's probably more drama in a piece of corn popping on hot oil than in those explosions :P Not to mention 80's-like mechanics of those explosions. A guy who made them had some problems with scale perception :) (for the same velocity big objects seems to be moving slower).

The fitst level damage modeling has been implemented for DCS BS though, I give that to ED. All seems to be moving forward (sound engine, physics...) but after watching ED's graphics engine for years I'm as mistrustful towards ED's graphics division as one can possibly be. I also hope that the maker of the flare trails effect has moved to ED's cleaning division long time ago :megalol:

If not Warthog release I would have thought that they sacked the graphics guys long time ago and haven't hired anyone to replace them :D

A better understanding of what DCS series accomplishes vs Apache Air Assault or wings of prey would answer this question.

Graphics have nothing to do with flight physics and general aviation functionality.

A10 simply doesn't have the graphical level of a DX11 game like Dirt2 or Crysis; or Birds of Prey and Apache for consoles. That's pretty much the end of the subject. But since everyone IS mixing apples and oranges, I’d say that a “better” or “realistic” simulator is no excuse for poor graphics.

TileProxy in FSX is a very good example of what happens when developers hire a Art Director and an Artist. Although in TileProxy’s case, it’s a good Samaritan that actually did that in his spare time, for free. Certain games have an Art Direction, others buy books and posters and replicate in 3D with textures, but don’t quite bother with lighting and Visual Effects.

It all comes down to the developers, the engine and the time/energy invested.

You look at the final product and you see where they are at.

http://www.youtube.com/konotani

Computer Specs:

Z97X-gaming Mobo

4670k i5

24G DDR3

GTX 1080

Asus PG278Q Rog Swift 27-INCH G-SYNC

Valve Index

Thrustmaster Warthog

Fanatec Clubsport Pedals (used as Rudders)

Thrustmaster T300 Arcantera Wheel

Obutto R3volution rig