Belly-Wop Landings ?

ErichVon

This is a, "why don't you try it and see what happens question".

Are belly landings on an airstrip survivable?

Do you still get scored for your sortie if you do?

Can you land dead-stick on a flat grassy area?

Thanks.

Erich

:pilotfly:

Edited by ErichVon

Belly landings are survivable yes.

Belly wop? I have no idea what that is? Are you just being racist or something?

And thanks for the health tips... WTF?

Belly-wop = gear up because busted undercarriage. Landing with just one wheel down, not too smart.

Busted should be broken for the English teachers in here.

Me racist? In here on a public forum? Are you nuts?

Instant ban for life on most any forum I have ever used.

No.

I learned the term belly-wop doing improper dives in a New York swimming pool out on Long Island. Smarts like heck from a 15 foot diving board.

Erich

Edited by ErichVon

I learned the term belly-wop doing improper dives in a New York swimming pool out on Long Island. Smarts like heck from 15 feet diving board....

Ain't that the truth! Know it as a Belly-Flop myself.....Hurts like a MoFo.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Are belly landings on an airstrip survivable?

The main undercarriage doesn't retract flush for just that reason. The wheels will still keep the belly off the ground even with a wheels up landing. Just don't forget to dump your stores first.

:thumbup: Survivability!

BiPod.

I had a belly-wop landing today and it felt like a normal landing except for two things: I hit the runway a little lower than with the gear down and I rolled out for a little while, then drifted to the right and stopped.

Then I waited on the runway for three minutes and *poof*, my landing gear were down. If only I had fuel left to taxi back to ramp (long story).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

257th Fighting Falcons/First VFW-25th Virtual Fighter Squadron

Specs: Win7 HP 64 bit, i7-960 @ 3.2GHz, 12GB DDR3 RAM @ 1333MHz, Intel-based Alienware mobo, 256GB Samsung SSD, WD 1.0TB HD, Samsung LCD monitor @ 1920x1200, TM Warthog, SIMPED vario F-16 rudders w/brakes, R.A.T. 7 mouse, 2xMimo 7" LCDs, 2xTM Cougar MFDs, and TrackIR4 w/Pro Clip. Wife who tolerates it. Cat who thinks she can interrupt at ANY time. :doh:

• 4 weeks later...
We've had pilots belly land on two training mavs and the bottom of the verticals....a week later we had the jet repaired and back in the air.

Now I don't have to ask, search is your friend.:book: Just did it by accident...wings completely empty...started that way. It would have been a beautiful landing if the gear had been down. Anyway, after I did not crash or really damage it I wondered how possible it was. Thanks Paulrkiii.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

A pity I didn't think of this on my way back to base after the River Raider mission where AAA shot out my under-carriage and I ended up skidding sideways down the runway with only my nose gear....

Oli 'Scarecrow' Lusk

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Intel Core i7 3930K @ 4.20Ghz

ASUS Rampage IV Extreme Motherboard

16GB DDR3 RAM

EVGA Geforce GTX 680 4GB

I still had the major benefit of my main wheels sticking out, when you added in the verticals in back it worked rather well...just pay no mind to the sparks from the tail. Not even a single failure in the mission log!

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

More interesting is look at the state of his gun, I wonder what happened there.

will if it was from the landing the pave penny would have been knocked off, so he may have had a sticker in one of the barrels/breach that has then caused a bit of a bang in front landing gear area as there is seemingly a barrel missing, so he has done a full gear up landing rather than one without the nose gear.

Well, now I don't feel quite as dumb for leaving the gear up. The sparks were a nice touch though...would have been extra cool at night.

sparkin.thumb.jpg.22e6335bb189910b59443dd2f5e7dade.jpg

Belly-wop = gear up because busted undercarriage. Landing with just one wheel down, not too smart.

Busted should be broken for the English teachers in here.

Me racist? In here on a public forum? Are you nuts?

Instant ban for life on most any forum I have ever used.

No.

I learned the term belly-wop doing improper dives in a New York swimming pool out on Long Island. Smarts like heck from a 15 foot diving board.

Erich

i don't think you know the meaning of smart. for example "smarts like heck" doesn't make sense in that given context. it's also awkward grammar which adds to the confusion.

:smilewink:

i don't think you know the meaning of smart. for example "smarts like heck" doesn't make sense in that given context. it's also awkward grammar which adds to the confusion.

looks in the correct context to me for both "smart" & "smarts" as in

“Landing with just one wheel down, not too smart.”

Or

“Smarts like heck from a 15 foot diving board”

even if it's awkward grammar.

will if it was from the landing the pave penny would have been knocked off, so he may have had a sticker in one of the barrels/breach that has then caused a bit of a bang in front landing gear area as there is seemingly a barrel missing, so he has done a full gear up landing rather than one without the nose gear.

To be honest I have no clue what happened but I am willing to bet that if it was a gun malfunction that the gun looks that way due to the procedures used to safe it. This pic was taken after everything was said and done.

also here is a pic from the rear of the same jet...enjoy

080325-F-3817W-210.jpg

This is me and cibit doing a formation landing, but he forgot to put the gear down :D

CSnoc.jpg

A-10's + belly landings go together quite well :)

Grrr dirty washing etc:P

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You an English teacher?

Different areas of USA use English terms differently as to meaning as well as the jargon variations of one specific trade (work) compared to other trades.

Kinda beating a dead horse I think.

Louisiana Cajun French English and Down East Mainers are good examples as to variations to USA English. Now compare to the various dialects of England, Ireland, Scotland, New Zealand, and Australia. Same word may have different meanings.

Why I quit posting to the forums, mostly, is the mean-ness and trival crap as to your reply. Though 99% of the guys are usually cool.

Since I posted start of the thread, I have done a couple gear up landings on purpose on concrete and in the grass. The jet performs quite well. On concrete, shut down, wait 3 minutes, all fixed up and taxi over to get refueled and rearmed. In the grass or on a beach, too bad they got it setup so the plane usually cannot move, once fixed. Would be nice if the game allowed the damaged jet to land on a roadway, shut down, wait 3 minutes and if enough fuel, takeoff to nearest airport.

Edited by ErichVon

Would be nice if the game allowed the damaged jet to land on a roadway, shut down, wait 3 minutes and if enough fuel, takeoff to nearest airport.

Just mount 2 cargo pods and put the ground crew into them for in-field repair ops :D Hey what are you doing!