Game Engines!

A.S

it is fundamentally a mathematical procedural description of landscapes. so it is "basically that". sure, his terrain project is more related to describing features of the terrain using vector graphics. the idea of "fitting" a river between two points on a map with infinite LOD is a procedural problem.

but i have not even read his papers, merely looked at his screen shots. maybe you could tell me what it basically all boils down too if not the basic procedural techniques illustrated by the link in my last post?

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i knew i could find a thread to revive.

http://www.outerra.com/forum/index.php?topic=637.0

Alpha is released

This alpha release features:

• A complete, real scale planet Earth that can be explored
  • Created from real elevation data with resolution 90m where available, 1km resolution for oceans; data are dynamically downloaded as you go
  • Further refined by fractal-based procedural techniques down to centimeter-level details
  • Vector-based road system that integrates with the procedurally generated terrain
  • Ability to place static stock objects and drive provided vehicles

It's been a long time coming I'm sure there's a few of you who have been waiting for this.

i knew i could find a thread to revive.

http://www.outerra.com/forum/index.php?topic=637.0

Alpha is released

It's been a long time coming I'm sure there's a few of you who have been waiting for this.

I know that you will hate me, but I must say it...

"NICE TO SEE YOU AWAKE, MAN!" :megalol:

...sorry, but I couldn't help myself :smilewink:

This engine has so much potential once people get past the fact that it is STILL PRE-ALPHA!

Here's a quick video I made where I replaced the cessna's FM with an Edge 540 from FlightGear. I have tried everything from low level flight, to supersonic flight (f-16/x-15), to putting my cessna in orbit with rocket engines and the terrain/detail transitions are outstanding.

Recording this in real-time at 1080p with graphics maxed out and my GPU/CPU weren't even at 50% usage.

qYJ42XifTLs

Edited by SilentEagle
  • Like 1

This engine has so much potential once people get past the fact that it is STILL PRE-ALPHA!

Mmmyes..BUT WHERE ARE THE TOWNS?? :D:D

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, MSI MEG X570 UNIFY (AM4, AMD X570, ATX), Noctua NH-DH14, EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti XC3 ULTRA, Seasonic Focus PX (850W), Kingston HyperX 240GB, Samsung 970 EVO Plus (1000GB, M.2 2280), 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600 DIMM CL16, Cooler Master 932 HAF, Samsung Odyssey G5; 34", Win 10 X64 Pro, Track IR, TM Warthog, TM MFDs, Saitek Pro Flight Rudders

Even with EDGE, the original terrain that we have now in BS2 and A-10C will not benefit from EDGE technology, only the new Nevada map will AFAIK.

i7 7700K | 32GB RAM | GTX 1080Ti | Rift CV1 | TM Warthog | Win 10

"There will always be people with a false sense of entitlement.

You can want it, you can ask for it, but you don't automatically deserve it. "

Here's a quick video I made where I replaced the cessna's FM with an Edge 540 from FlightGear. I have tried everything from low level flight, to supersonic flight (f-16/x-15), to putting my cessna in orbit with rocket engines and the terrain/detail transitions are outstanding.

Recording this in real-time at 1080p with graphics maxed out and my GPU/CPU weren't even at 50% usage.

qYJ42XifTLs

Amazing.

Track IR?

Come pay us a visit on YouTube - search for HELI SHED

Main Banner.PNG

Excellent video.

Sure there is a contrast 'issue'. Just look at the sky and also the contrast between ground and forests. For the rest, DCS terrain is well populated and thinking of the time it would have taken, I take my hat off to the devs.

DCS Wish: Turbulences affecting surrounding aircraft...

[sIGPIC] [/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P - Intel Core i5 6600K - 16Gb RAM DDR4-2133 - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 Gaming - 8 Go - 2 x SSD Crucial MX300 - 750 Go RAID0 - Screens: HP OMEN 32'' 2560x1440 + Oculus Rift CV1 - Win 10 - 64bits - TM WARTHOG #889 - Saitek Pro Rudder.

Atmospheric scattering is fantastic in Outerra, I really hope ED implement it in the future.

Regards!

Of course, that would mean at least three different incompatible maps...the current one (that is not going to be done in EDGE according to ED), Nevada with EDGE, and then a new map under Outerra (who knows how long that will take).:huh:

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup: