Game Engines!

A.S

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lmao. old+not representative of actual simulation. what do you think happens when you put more physical calculations, ai, objects, etc?

also, limitations of procedural generation: can't use satellite for terrain texture. want accurate recreation of a place? not possible. parameters for generation are custom created. no satellite height data accepted.

don't be fooled by pretty video and pictures.

Edited by 213

Well if this engine is coded with multithreading calculations shouldn't be an issue... get dual CPU motherboard and 2 6 core CPU's are you're golden. But really, this is what soon has to happen... times of single CPU being sufficient are over... unless developers still want to be limited by how much they can put into their product and always have to compromise.

No longer active in DCS...

Well if this engine is coded with multithreading calculations shouldn't be an issue... get dual CPU motherboard and 2 6 core CPU's are you're golden. But really, this is what soon has to happen... times of single CPU being sufficient are over... unless developers still want to be limited by how much they can put into their product and always have to compromise.

As being one of those developers (not games industry but still a developer) I'll tell you it's FAR more complicated to split some of these algorithms than one would think. In a video game several systems must all be synced before you render the frame. Physics, Sound and AI are all interlinked. AI has to have the results of physics calculation in order to correctly respond to the scenario. Sound has to be linked to motion of the physics for realistic 3D sounds. The list goes on and on. It can be done but the interactions between these systems gets far more complicated to trace and debug. In addition in some scenarios these may be so tightly linked that you actually could loose performance by adding in the sync mechanisms to communicate across threads.

While it's true that modern CPUs are adding core's as their current marketing tactic. It used to be Mhz/Ghz but that was never a direct correlation to real performance either (Ex: AMD and Intel at the same clock speed, or Core2 at lower clock speed beating P4 at higher clock speed). Multithreading and more cores may or may not translate to usable horse power for a single given piece of software or task.

We should see gains from further multithreading in games, but it may not be the panacea that some claim.

lmao. old+not representative of actual simulation. what do you think happens when you put more physical calculations, ai, objects, etc?

also, limitations of procedural generation: can't use satellite for terrain texture. want accurate recreation of a place? not possible. parameters for generation are custom created. no satellite height data accepted.

Actually, the engine is different from most of other procedural engines in that it uses satellite height data for the terrain, further refined down to centimeter details. It's a real world location shown in the above video.

It does not use satellite imagery though, because that's not automatically refineable - can't easily add detail to it, unlike with the height info. However, it can use other data (essentially land class style info) to seed the procedural generation in a way that will enable you to match the look of the terrain without the effect of civilization. Atop of that you then use vector data defining how the civilization changes the nature (roads, fields&pastures, later also urban areas). So, while it doesn't let you use the imagery directly, and you'd have to vectorize it first, once you do so it will bring you a consistent level of detail down to the ground level.

Also, the engine tries to do everything graphics-related on the GPU, leaving CPU for simulation and game code.

Actually, the engine is different from most of other procedural engines in that it uses satellite height data for the terrain, further refined down to centimeter details. It's a real world location shown in the above video.

It does not use satellite imagery though, because that's not automatically refineable - can't easily add detail to it, unlike with the height info. However, it can use other data (essentially land class style info) to seed the procedural generation in a way that will enable you to match the look of the terrain without the effect of civilization. Atop of that you then use vector data defining how the civilization changes the nature (roads, fields&pastures, later also urban areas). So, while it doesn't let you use the imagery directly, and you'd have to vectorize it first, once you do so it will bring you a consistent level of detail down to the ground level.

Also, the engine tries to do everything graphics-related on the GPU, leaving CPU for simulation and game code.

I have been in contact with you to use your engine to develope my Americas Armor sim. Is it any closer to being released yet?? Also what code is used for programming, C#, C++, javascript??

I am very interested in this engine as it would have a huge world to work in.

If you want peace, prepare for war....

America's Armor

Dev Notes

AARM on Facebook

Help Fund AARM

Very impressive. Looks as though the days of needing a seperate engine for either a Simulator or a 1st Person shooter are nearing an end.

Specs: GA-Z87X-UD3H, i7-4770k, 16GB, RTX2060, SB AE-5, 750watt Corsair PSU, X52, Track IR4, Win10x64.

Sim Settings: Textures: ? | Scenes: ? |Water: ? | Visibility Range: ? | Heat Blur: ? | Shadows: ? | Res: 1680x1050 | Aspect: 16:10 | Monitors: 1 Screen | MSAA: ? | Tree Visibility: ? | Vsync: On | Mirrors: ? | Civ Traffic: High | Res Of Cockpit Disp: 512 | Clutter: ? | Fullscreen: On

Very impressive. Looks as though the days of needing a seperate engine for either a Simulator or a 1st Person shooter are nearing an end.

Yea, you can only make graphics so good, then you have to stop because you can't make them any better than photo-realistic :) After that happens, I guess you have to focus on improving your physics modeling, terrain size, object count, etc. Once these are all up to par, you should be able to make a decent FPS in a flight sim.

You gotta wonder if somewhere down the line, after photo-realism is reached and physics improved, all games might be able to converge into a small number of engines. It could free devs up from having to worry about making their own engines. We've already seen some of this trend already, but might photo-realism + large land areas reinforce it due to the huge amount of time it takes to make your own terrain, especially at photo-realistic levels?

Intelligent discourse can only begin with the honest admission of your own fallibility.

Member of the Virtual Tactical Air Group: http://vtacticalairgroup.com/

Lua scripts and mods:

MIssion Scripting Tools (Mist): http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=98616

Slmod version 7.0 for DCS: World: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=80979

Now includes remote server administration tools for kicking, banning, loading missions, etc.

Another missing in this list is X-Plane 10. It's not stunning like Outera above but it's fast, capable of very long draw distances without bogging things down. And in the hands of 3-rd party modders, it looks better than Rise of Flight and certainly better than DCS (though maybe not Nevada). I've been flying the (free) MD-500 around the (free) modded Seattle and have been mostly blown away. The new Oliver Perry is impressive too.

I have been in contact with you to use your engine to develope my Americas Armor sim. Is it any closer to being released yet?? Also what code is used for programming, C#, C++, javascript??

I am very interested in this engine as it would have a huge world to work in.

We are close to releasing a tech demo and a pre-release of our demo game. But it it's not yet going to be released as an engine, as we have to develop the APIs and a SDK for it yet. We want to evolve the developer support through the game modding first, then growing it to a sim/game platform in an indie-dev friendly way.

It's programmed in C++, UI is done via embedded Chromium browser in html+javascript.

• 3 weeks later...

Hire this guy!!!

His work looks amazing, having all these things put into DCS would be amazing!

http://evasion.inrialpes.fr/~Eric.Bruneton/

My Specs

Asus Maximus Hero IX Z270

i7 7700k @ 4.7GHz

32GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3700MHz DDR4

EVGA RTX 2080Ti

Samsung 960 Evo 1TB M.2 NVME SSD

EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2

Acer XB270HU 144Hz @ 1440p (IPS)

Valve Index

OOOOhhh, I wish I had the Alpha of a Hornet!

Yep put him to work right away !!!

Videos

clever chap

Edited by Druid_

i7-7700K : 16Gb DDR4 2800 Mhz : Asus Mobo : 2TB HDD : Intel 520 SSD 240gb : RTX 2080ti: Win10 64pro : Dx10 : TrackiR4 : TM Warthog : ASUS ROG SWIFT PG348Q

This are just rumours I read somewhere in the web:

I heard he is working right now in a Starbucks near the Louvre and is enjoying his current live....why he should throw all this away and start to work in Moscow ?!:D

Edited by PeterP

Yep put him to work right away !!!

This is awesome stuff. I was about to post the Rama vid myself (if you know the book then the video is extra cool)!:thumbup:

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

This are just rumours I read somewhere in the web:

I heard he is working right now in a Starbucks near the Louvre and is enjoying his current live....why he should throw all this away and start to work in Moscow ?!:D

Because they have bears and vodka (or so I've heard):P

Edited by cichlidfan

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

This is the perfect example of what i talk about when i say : nice graphic engine for simulator...

But everyone told me that its impossible...Yeah...impossible my a..

Sadly we meet again the small object size effect with tree look too small cause we embody a big camera and not a human eyes...

And with great optimization for AIRCRAFT/missile and object who move slower ONLY and not for show full planet, with limited rending speed, according to fastest object (missile) (in DCS i don't have any performance difference between look at a single area without moving the camera and use the free camera at more than 100000Km/h) we can obtain more details due to power saving and finally obtain the same rending than that : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apVq20stxZQ

FOR THE SAME ALTITUDE !!!!!!! i don't talk about the same rending that what we hare on the ground in Arma 2 with a soldier but at the SAME altitude than this video.

I talk about tree look, color, road, ground detail (like little bust, rock, relief and other detail)

And when we look that

We can see that at long range (long range for 3D object i mean, not for horizon) (3:00) that if we using only 2D tree and building at more than 5Km we CAN'T see difference against 2D and 3D and finally due to pixel tree effect a long range its better to use only ground texture with tree drawn on it at more than 5km like here

We can save the performance and obtain finally the SAME graphic rending that what we see in the video of Arma 2 for ground detail with 3D object and the same rending at long range than what we see in Aerofly FS.

Same rending than Arma 2 but NOT on the ground just OVER the ground like in my first link and for the rest ONLY texture like Aerofly FS

That will take LESS performance than your video cause that will use LESS 3D object and just replace ground texture by another who look like Aerofly FS.

For Aerofly FS i ONLY talk about the texture realism, its only a texture, but it a must have cause its look EXACTLY like real life, people can keep saying that "photorealism don't are realist due to condition and shadows" and other stupid things but its still be MORE realist and finally 1000 more attractive immersive and beautiful than actual DCS and other who don't use "photorealism".

But people still told me its impossible and after see this video will continue to told me that...

Its why i stop to answer to my topic : Graphic Engine, people boring me to say : "its impossible" for thing who already exist...

Edited by Demongornot

CPU : I7 6700k, MB : MSI Z170A GAMING M3, GC : EVGA GTX 1080ti SC2 GAMING iCX, RAM : DDR4 HyperX Fury 4 x 8 Go 2666 MHz CAS 15, STORAGE : Windows 10 on SSD, games on HDDs.

Hardware used for DCS : Pro, Saitek pro flight rudder, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, Oculus Rift.

Own : A-10C, Black Shark (BS1 to BS2), P-51D, FC3, UH-1H, Combined Arms, Mi-8MTV2, AV-8B, M-2000C, F/A-18C, Hawk T.1A

Want : F-14 Tomcat, Yak-52, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, F-5E, MiG-21Bis, F-86F, MAC, F-16C, F-15E.

Has anyone had a proper look at this guys webpage?

http://www-evasion.imag.fr/Membres/Eric.Bruneton/demo.html

there are some realtime demos available on there.

I did look around. Long enough to realize how far over my head he was!:P

Its PRETTY for sure.. however the 60 FPS count on the video.. what do you think thats going to be by the time you throw an A10 in there ? Complex calculations for a flight sim are what eats up your PC not the terrrain.

ever get 80 FPS in FSX with a default plane and then load up something like the PMDG 747-8 or any other systems intensive aircraft ?... hope you have a damn good PC or your gettin a slide show.

I have more hope for Outerra being the latest and greatest FS engine.. it is a real time rendering engine that INCLUDES groundbreaking physics, here check it out. Videos will speak for themselves

http://www.outerra.com/

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Matt "IceFire" Schuette

Commander In Chief United States Atlantic Command

Virtual Carrier Air Wing Eleven

Videos do not represent a game or graphics engine but algorithms meant to be used in one and they do appear pretty spectacular. Especially the atmospheric rendering is unbelievably good looking. Even though the trees have a bit funny color to them the atmosphere still transforms the scenery very real looking.

DCS Finland: Suomalainen DCS yhteisö -- Finnish DCS community

--------------------------------------------------

SF Squadron