What do you think about P-51D and Flying Legends?

csper

What do you think about P-51D and Flying Legends?  

1729 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think about P-51D and Flying Legends?

• I'm so happy thanks ED ! :))
    • I like, but it could be another WW2 plane. :)
    • I dont like P-51D, I want another WW2 plane. :|
    • I want WW2 scenery, not just a WW2 plane!
    • I want Flying Legends series to have only JETs. There is no place WW2 planes at JET's playground! :/
    • I just want ED to make modern aircrafts/helicopters.. :(
    • I want carrier ops!
    • I want two seater cockpit!
    • If Flying Legends will have only ww2 planes, so it has to be independent from moderns..
    • Flying Legends must have helicopters.

• ED Team

If I'm to say one thing that may show my more skeptical side then it's the worry that the dollars-in-the-eyes have started to appear amongst ED's management who now have more of an ambition of profiteering in mind whilst keeping potential customers hanging on to what may or may not be next.

I am not sure I see that, I mean if they were all about the money they would pump stuff out alot faster than this and probably not near the quality they have been producing. If I was going to be scared or worried about anything is that maybe they are having issues acquiring enough info to model another top fighter, and that is the hold up on an announcement, but that is all just random thoughts not based in any facts what so ever :)

• Like 1

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heh, true, but it's an interesting thought...

Ah the rumour mill.

Anyway, true sith, I think I'd possibly agree with your first sentence.

I'll look forward to the Mustang!

Corsair 550D / Be Quiet 650W Pro 10 / ASUS P8Z77-V Pro / Intel i5 3570K / 16GB Kingston HyperX 1600 MHz / EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX2 4GB / 128GB Samsung 830 / RME HDSPe Multiface 2 / 1TB Samsung F3 / Prolimatech Megalames Rev. B / Windows 10 / BenQ XL2420T / Saitek X52 Pro / Kone Pure+ / Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja

check this out

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Crosshair VIII hero wifi, 3800x w/ Enermax 360 AIO cooler (push-pull), 32gigs DDR4 Ripjaws 3600, Win 10 home on a Plextor PCI-E x4 3gb/s HD, EVGA 2070 Super FTW3 ultra+, Soundblaster Z

Rift S, M$FFB2, CH Pro throttle, Saitek pedals

BS2, A10C, P51D, SPITFIRE, FC3, Uh-1H, F86, Mi-8MTV2, SA342, MIG21-bis, AV8BNA, F14, F16, FA-18C, SUPERCARRIER

To fly the P-51D today in DCS, I would expect some off-the-shelf avionics to be modelled; such as a modern radio and a GPS kit.

See e.g. this video from 2:00 onwards

Edited by tflash
eliminated some unnecessary statements

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

What you need depends entirely on what you want to do... and, all too often these days in the case of GPS, your own ability and/or lack thereof.

If you want to thread your way through a crowded complex airspace in a high-performance fighter while keeping your eyes out of the cockpit, well, then I'll be starting to agree that you need a GPS, at least to the point where it would be stupid to go without one. In other words, once we get the L.A. scenery I'm prepared to vote for the addition of a GPS.

Until then, I volunteer to help people learn navigation by map, clock and compass. It's great fun, and you'll miss out on it if you hit Ctrl-G and bring out the portable Garmin attached to the glareshield (in which case I do hope a 50 degree misalignment of the compass is simulated... :D).

My impression of the DCS series community is that it is certainly not made up of people who shy away from challenges, so I think we'll be seeing a marked rise in the navigation capabilities once the Mustang hits our hard drives. :thumbup:

As for an upgraded radio, I agree. I want to cooperate with those flying A-10s and Ka-50s, which means the radio is indeed needed.

Cheers,

Fred

Edited by effte
Missing Words is a great song, but not so great in a forum post.
  • Like 1

Meh, GPS. It's not a primary navigation instrument. If you can't navigate without it, you shouldn't navigate with it either. Instead you should learn to navigate. :)

(Not being flippant, that's an almost direct quote from my navigation class.)

Agreed with effte as well, navigating old-school is actually lots of fun and not as difficult as people might think at first glance.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Since I do like to fly the vanilla Su-25 often in Lockon, it's not that I would shy away from some rustic navigation. It's just that we live in the 21st century and it would be rather unrealistic if you would actually try to fly a P-51D in combat today, make the effort to remount the guns and get them going, and fail to install a GPS kit that you can buy for less than 1000$.

And OK, GPS jamming does exist but is not really to be expected common in a scenario where you would be flying a P-51D today.

The Collins pilots do not seem to me some newbies shying away from serious aviation, no?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

....navigating old-school is actually lots of fun and not as difficult as people might think at first glance.

That's the problem with us old-timers........On the current map we stick our head out of the cockpit and know exactly where we are - no need for maps, compasses and the like :D

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Everyday I check these fourms for the DCS:NEXT. Everyday I check the other (non-ED) sim boards. The more I read about DCS mustang. The less excited I become for it. How do I feel about ED working on Mustang? I feel about the same as when I read valve release another game with no word on half-life 3. I'm happy to see another great sim/game on the market. I'm sad its not the sim/game I want to play.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Everyday I check these fourms for the DCS:NEXT. Everyday I check the other (non-ED) sim boards. The more I read about DCS mustang. The less excited I become for it. How do I feel about ED working on Mustang? I feel about the same as when I read valve release another game with no word on half-life 3. I'm happy to see another great sim/game on the market. I'm sad its not the sim/game I want to play.

dont bother, the post you´re looking for will come. I suggest not to look each day for updates. Play another game for a while (may be Half Life 2 :) ).

I am sure that by the End of June or July we will know what is next...we probably will have an open beta release again (hope so)

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

BlackSharkDen - Helicopter only

Specs:: ASrock Z790 Pro RS; Intel i5-13600K @5,1Ghz; 64GB DDR5 RAM; RTX 3080 @10GB; Corsair RMX Serie 750; 2x SSD 850 EVO 1x860 EVO 500GB 1x nvme M.2 970 EVO 1TB; 1x nvme M.2 980 Pro 2TB+ 3 TB HDD

Hardware: Oculus Rift S; Meta Quest 3; HOTAS Warthog; Logitech Rudder Pedals, K-51 Collective

That's the problem with us old-timers........On the current map we stick our head out of the cockpit and know exactly where we are - no need for maps, compasses and the like :D

The difference is that "my" method allows me to navigate, without GPS, in areas where I have never ever been and where there are no landmarks. I invite you to do contact-flying from Lissabon to the Azores, for example... :P

(And of course, just setting a compass heading doesn't work either since you'll be blown off course and need to have this in your route planning.)

And in the case of a recent experience - night-flying across sibiria. I wasn't the pilot (airline), but doing contact flying across a vast region, during night, where there's not a single light on the ground is obviously a pretty bad idea. :P

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Krebs,

I know the feeling. The other night, the movie I wanted to see was on channel 4. Yet, they were playing other movies on all the other channels!

Imagine my feelings of outrage, abandonment and despair! Sure, I got to see my movie, but a lot of other people got to see other movies which I didn't care about. All work should be focused on bringing me the movies I care about, so what are they doing airing all the rest?!

Now I'm off to find places where people are discussing those other movies in order tell them how deeply disturbed I am about the existence of their movies.

;)

Edited by effte
Smiley added, just to make sure.

....But the fourms topic is how do you think about P51....

You should wait until you get your hands on it and then make an informed decision one way or another - don't dismiss it out-of-hand :)

@effte: Yeah - I'm lucky that way. I decide when the weather is suitable for flying, or not :P

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

And OK, GPS jamming does exist but is not really to be expected common in a scenario where you would be flying a P-51D today.

I'd expect GPS jamming (and even spoofing) in every area of conflict. You don't want to know how cheap and available those devices are. Jamming receivers which have access to the military GPS signals is just slightly more difficult, so the basic assumption has to be that GPS will not be available for use.

I can't see a Mustang getting equipped with an INS, even if thrown in as FAC or the like in a modern conflict.

Regarding the Collins foundation, see previous post regarding airspace. Also consider the distinction between what you wrote, i e needing, and wanting.

Finally, you're approaching being an order of magnitude off regarding the price of an approved panel-mount GPS unit. :)

I will "watch" this movie. I will even enjoy it. It's just not the movie I want to see.

Well said!

That's almost how I feel and will continue to feel up to the day, if ever, that the development of a СУ-25 variant is announced :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'd expect GPS jamming (and even spoofing) in every area of conflict. You don't want to know how cheap and available those devices are. Jamming receivers which have access to the military GPS signals is just slightly more difficult, so the basic assumption has to be that GPS will not be available for use.

Well, no need to keep arguing about this: I agree the main thing we need is radio communication woth other planes; so a VHF radio that can have the right frequenties would do the job.

Edited by tflash
changed my mind :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• ED Team

No serious pilot will fly the P-51 today using compass as a navigation tool. (most will just fly short tours in visible conditions anyway) Only simmers would do this. That's the "reality" of it. :D

Actually, at TFC we do fly our aircraft to air shows to continental Europe without GPS in the cockpit.

However, the pilots may have a pocket Garmin with them, but I'll have to ask them next week.

I do know their flight planning is extremely detailed with maps/charts all over the pilot's ready room!

Edited by JimMack
  • Like 1

Having problems? Visit http://en.wiki.eagle.ru/wiki/Main_Page

Dell Laptop M1730 -Vista- Intel Core 2 Duo T7500@2.2GHz, 4GB, Nvidia 8700MGT 767MB

Intel i7 975 Extreme 3.2GHZ CPU, NVidia GTX 570 1.28Gb Pcie Graphics.