Rudder Pedals

Rudder Pedals  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Rudder Pedals

• Simpeds
    • VKB
    • Actually, there's something better...

Let's just pretend for a moment that money is not an issue...

Which rudder pedals would you recommend: SIMPEDS or VKB?

http://www.dhs-electronic.de/index2.php?id=216&lng=en

http://www.vkb-flightsimcontrols.com/produkt/gallery.php?PHPSESSID=5c741cbdae78924a628c734a61818823 (unfortunately, only in Russian)

Bare in mind these would not only serve as an exclusive DCS hardware. I'd like to use them in other simulations too.

Thanks!

Never say never, Baby!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gentlemen,

All of the available rudder pedals available on the market "work great" - they make the aircraft yaw...

The question is: which ones do it best? Now, since precision is the fundamental aspect here I suspect resolutions would be the most important factors to compare; and so:

Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals: 1024 (512 each way)

Simpeds: unable to find information (I'm at work)

VKB: 4096 (2048 each way) --> 4x more precise than Saitek...

Knowing this, should the VKB be declared a winner?

Never say never, Baby!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Mangaroca, as a real world pilot, my comment about the Saitek pedals working great, means they work great. I have not tried the simpeds or vkb version, but for the price, I would say go Saitek.

A-10C - FC3 - CA - L-39 - UH1 - P-51 - Hawk - BS2 - F-86 - Gazelle - F-5E - AV8B - F/A-18C

i5-4590 - GTX 1060 - Oculus CV1 - TM:Warthog

[sIGPIC]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic9979_1.gif[/sIGPIC]

I have had my CH pedals for about 7 years and I have never had a problem with them.

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

• ED Team

They look like great pedals

I have just purchased some saitek pedals and I am very happy with them they do a great job.

And at a good price as well :thumbup:

http://www.ebuyer.com/128905-saitek-pro-flight-rudder-pedals-pz35

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

As I said, they all work well but has anyone of you actually tried the other pedals from my list? How can you vote not knowing the "other side of the story"?

With all do respect, DCS doesn't require such rudder precision but try your luck in Rise Of Flight and you'll understand what I mean.

Never say never, Baby!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I fly RoF, and I find the combat pedals more than adaquate. If I had not, I would have written that. I don't know how the other pedals are, valid point of course. However, I'm only telling my end of the story. I also don't believe (my opinion, thus may be very far from the truth) that a lot of people here would have such pedals. But again, this is what I think.

I'm sure that Simped use Hall Sensor Effect. Maybe the VKB also use HS but not sure.

The VKB set is very nice but I see them right for Il-2, and I think they are very expensive.

Saitek and CH use high quality potentiometer, but does not matter how hight quality is, they have an end.

Got the Saitek Pro pedals for 1.5 years now and I'm as happy as I can be.

Actually, I don't think the resoution of the sensors is the main criteria. I strongly doubt one will notice the difference between a 512 or 1024 resolution for rudder pedals...

But there are other aspects to bear in mind. When I searched for pedals that time, I've read many many reviews, mainly about the Saitek and CH products (and a few others). What I've learned from that was that the Saitek - over the long run - are extremly good in returning to the center position. That was the USP for me and I can just confirm that after 1.5 years of heavy usage (FSX, FC2, DCS), the center position has not faded away at all. As soon as you relief the force on the pedals, they smoothly return to the center position. I have not changed my (very narrow) deadzone setting since installation. Very solid product!

Edited by Zenga

I'm sure that Simped use Hall Sensor Effect. Maybe the VKB also use HS but not sure.

VKB use MaRS sensor - like ones used automotive industry, but denveloped and build for the propose, use in sim rudder pedal. On papper, better than HS. :)

Saitek and CH use high quality potentiometer, but does not matter how hight quality is, they have an end.
True for CH, Saitek use common pots.

About resolution:

CH have 256 points

Simped only 128 points - accord this tread:

http://riseofflight.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=350&t=26026&hilit=simped

Notice that both are old projects, from end of 90's.

VKB cost - made by request - about 300 U$ (in Russia), but notice that are all in metal and use 14 ball bearings, plus MaRS sensor.

Manny dont say: "Cougar/Warthog are "real" by being made of metal"? ;)

In Russia are another option, Bauer BRP Pedals - made by request - all metal, bearings, Mars - but more cheaper than VKB. They use a exclusive center system - these above use variations for same system - that allow options for center cam, ie with soft center, ideally for Black Shark.

http://avia-sim.ru/forum/files/pedals26_193.jpg

BTW - I use ancient Thrustmaster RCS "USBberized" with DIY USB controller (Mjoy).

Sokol1

If you are using a Saitek product for helicopters- this mod should be mandatory:

How To: Remove centre detend from Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Paddles

and I also highly recommend it for fixed wing.

I use them for over three years without noticeable degeneration in accuracy.

..Oh.. well .. - read yourself: 'Wobbly' Input from Saitek Combat Pedals

BTW: I voted for "Actually, there's something better..."

I plan right now to build my own set -

where I have the ability to move the centring force gradually with a trim-wheel - and also to move it instant by using a electrical-magnet clutch.

(come-on... it's only a single axis... if you are not happy with the accuracy.. - replace the poti.. - it's costs about 2€ max)

Edited by PeterP

CH here and no problems. Work greta for every flight ism I have.

They also work great in ArmA2 for gas and brake in the vehicles :D

See, I think CH is too narrow and thus the input is not optimal.

Never say never, Baby!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

As I said, they all work well but has anyone of you actually tried the other pedals from my list? How can you vote not knowing the "other side of the story"?

With all do respect, DCS doesn't require such rudder precision but try your luck in Rise Of Flight and you'll understand what I mean.

I tried the Saitek normal version, the old CH's and I found my salvation in the Simped F-16's - not only from the Resolution but also stability and feeling.

There's no "Overkill". There's only "open fire!" and "time to reload".

Specs: i7-980@4,2Ghz, 12GB RAM, 2x GTX480, 1x 8800GTS, X-Fi HD, Cougar, Warthog, dcs-F16-pedals

See, I think CH is too narrow and thus the input is not optimal.

I've never had a problem with them and I'm 6'2" 200lbs, but maybe I'm just use to them. To me they felt no different then sitting in a real F-16.

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

It's all a matter of taste. If money is no object then get whichever you want. Just like any controller - the best one for you is the best one for you.

To be perfectly honest, I haven't seen or used any set of rudder pedals that I truly thought was ideal; they all seem either too cheap, or too complicated. Any of them, however, are better than the damn twist-sticks (IMHO/YMMV)!

Saitek pro combat pedal here...

Very satisfied:

RoF

A10C

Don t have tome to play anything else ubfortunatly.

HaF 922, Asus rampage extreme 3 gene, I7 950 with Noctua D14, MSI gtx 460 hawk, G skill 1600 8gb, 1.5 giga samsung HD.

Track IR 5, Hall sensed Cougar, Hall sensed TM RCS TM Warthog(2283), TM MFD, Saitek pro combat rudder, Cougar MFD.