DCS Mustang Developer Notes

EvilBivol-1

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hot air balloons heat up the air inside the balloon and the result is an air less dense then the air outside which makes the balloon lighter then air. this causes the lighter balloon to float on the heavyer outside air.

Yes--this is what I was saying. Heating a gas expands it, so wouldn't cooling a gas contract it, reversing the process? And if cooling a gas compresses it, then why wouldn't compressing the gas cool it, reversing the process?

I pretty sure it has to do with the confined space. Example, Hot Air Balloon, the gas is allowed to expand and exit the top hole in the balloon but as with the supercharger it is confined to a small space. This is forcing atoms to get packed tighter and tighter which I think is were you get your heat. the friction between the atoms as they want to expand away from each other.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.csg-2.net/

• ED Team
How? I thought that compressing matter (in any state) causes it to become colder, not hotter. No?

Did you ever pump a bicycle tire?

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

You have that backwards - expanding a gas cools it - compressing a gas heats it up.

Nate

OK, lads, science class..

Compressing a gas makes its particles come closer together in confined space. Think of it as compressing rice, so, more contact between particles, more friction, more kinetic energy produced, and more heat generated.

expanding a gas has the opposite effect, because the particles are getting further away from eachother, less friction, more space to traverse freely without bumping into eachother that often with compression, and hence less thermal.

Even if you rub your hands together on a cold night out, you'd generate heat that warms you up, because each finger and palm (gas particles) are coming together in contact, and the gas in between is being compressed as you rub, so that is heat from compression.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

I pretty sure it has to do with the confined space. Example, Hot Air Balloon, the gas is allowed to expand and exit the top hole in the balloon but as with the supercharger it is confined to a small space. This is forcing atoms to get packed tighter and tighter which I think is were you get your heat. the friction between the atoms as they want to expand away from each other.

Contract =/= compress.

Ah, okay. I think I get it now. Sort of. ; ) Thanks, gentlemen.

Oh! I've had an epiphany--it has to do with putting energy into the system. I wish I had thought of that earlier; it would have saved me a lot of puzzling. If you have to put energy into the system, either to expand it or to compress it, then it heats up--this makes perfect sense. (Now why didn't they just say so on all of the science-y web sites I visited trying to figure this out?)

• 4 weeks later...
Oh! I've had an epiphany--it has to do with putting energy into the system. I wish I had thought of that earlier; it would have saved me a lot of puzzling. If you have to put energy into the system, either to expand it or to compress it, then it heats up--this makes perfect sense. (Now why didn't they just say so on all of the science-y web sites I visited trying to figure this out?)

That's correct, the expansion of the gas is to negate the input of energy into the system, much like how an equilibrium reaction in chemistry favours the side that negates any input into the system (Le Chatelier's Principle).

<VAAF>

Virtual Australian Air-Force :thumbup::joystick::pilotfly:

• 4 weeks later...
  • ED Team

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

I like that idea, as long as each aircraft remains fully detailed. I'd be very disappointed if it ended up being a less-than-realistic survey sim like Flaming Cliffs, with the aircraft not being fully modelled, and the systems & engine management simplified. The world has enough low-detail survey sim-games. But if Eagle Dynamics were to make a full-blown WWII sim in which each aircraft (added individually over time) were as detailed as the P-51D, then that'd be the best thing I can imagine to happen to the P.C. flight sim world.

Edited by Echo38

I like that idea, as long as each aircraft remains fully detailed. I'd be very disappointed if it ended up being a less-than-realistic survey sim like Flaming Cliffs, with the aircraft not being fully modelled, and the systems & engine management simplified. The world has enough low-detail survey sim-games. But if Eagle Dynamics were to make a full-blown WWII sim in which each aircraft (added individually over time) were as detailed as the P-51D, then that'd be the best thing I can imagine to happen to the P.C. flight sim world.

+1!

MAC

RE Yo-Yo's vid...

Nice!

I haven't played with this yet but that's a nice demo. I Like the parabolic dive (?) / low/no G start, and then demonstrating how you need some G to extend, and a further couple of manoeuvres to lock.

I read an account of a contemporary 51 pilot with a gear emergency and how he was helped by another more experienced 51 pilot by radio. It took the emergency pilot about 20 minutes of increasingly aggressive side slips to get both locked.

I'll have to try this.

Cheers

• 1 month later...

+1

Yes! Please! IL2 COD does not work with Windows 8, so far everything else works fine. A replacement is much needed.

• R4BE BIOS 0701 • 3930K @ 4.7GHz +0.010 • XSPC Raystorm H20 block • 16GB Corsair Dominator GT @ 2133MHz 9-11-10-27-1N • SuperNOVA 1600 G2 • XFX 290x • XFX 290x • 2x XLR8 Pro 120GB Intel RAID 0 • XFI • Win10 IPEC 10147 • TM HOTAS Warthog • Slaw device BF-109 pedals • X270OC @ 2560x1440 @ 100Hz •

OK, lads, science class..

Compressing a gas makes its particles come closer together in confined space. Think of it as compressing rice, so, more contact between particles, more friction, more kinetic energy produced, and more heat generated.

and the heat created is blown off thereby making the compressed gas colder... repeat the process a few times and you get liquid nitrogen/ oxygen, CO2, etc

expanding a gas has the opposite effect, because the particles are getting further away from eachother, less friction, more space to traverse freely without bumping into eachother that often with compression, and hence less thermal.

the expanding gas absorbs heat from its surrounding environment... cooling the nearby environment

Even if you rub your hands together on a cold night out, you'd generate heat that warms you up, because each finger and palm (gas particles) are coming together in contact, and the gas in between is being compressed as you rub, so that is heat from compression.

rubbing two sticks together to create a fire, gets you warmer :) and a just as red glowing shoulder as pumping a bicycle tyre does

:book:

Edited by Wolf Rider

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"

Ouch, sorry for being such a smartass but that hurts just too much. ;)

Temperature in a gas can be explained as the mean kinetic energy of particles if you subtract coordinated particle movement, not the amount of particles "rubbing" against each other. Collisions between particles are ideal (unless they form a chemical bond or a different element or energy is dissipated in the form of radiation), that means kinetic energy is not transformed.

The reason why a gas gets hotter when you compress it is that in the process of compression, you increase the mean kinetic energy of particles.

Heat and temperature are different things, btw.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

• 2 weeks later...

I would love to see more Developer Notes like this thread started with. I was asking a few questions about Manifold Pressure vs Engine Speed and I think an article about it in this thread would be really useful. Yo-yo and a few others chimed in and were very helpful in pointing out that the propeller changes pitch (and therefore pushes more air) to maintain engine speed. Would be great to see a full write up on the topic.

Other ideas might be to talk about limitations of the P-51D, what to avoid, and what to take advantage of. I've been watching some of the Dogfights series on YouTube where they interview actual P-51D pilots. They talk about special maneuvers like 'pull the stick into your gut, give full bottom rudder, then push the stick forward to recover'. Discussion on this kind of stuff would be great too. I really enjoy listening to these guys talk about how they actually flew the aircraft beyond what the Army gave direction to.

Talking about this stuff might be useful for Yo-yo too so he can improve his sim design in case we discover something that you can do in the sim that would be impossible in real life.

486DX w/turbo button

• 3 months later...

Would it be possible to have a 'bug' thread.

I posted a question for the few P51 pilots and an aviation forum:

This is more of a comparison/question between Flight Sims (DCS) and reality, which I hopefully like to clarify ?

With the DCS P51 I'd set the speed to around 250 mph and then at the same time, pull full on elevator and apply full right rudder.

Knowing that this application is contrary to propwash and torque, at that speed I'd still expect to go into an accelerated stall, if not, a full spin to the right.

Would this assumption (and physical conditions) be correct ?

The reply

If you apply full controls as described above, the aircraft will enter a flick-roll, and most probably break apart. In something like a P51, it will be sheer madness to do this at anything above about 150 KIAS.

Flick maneuvers are limited to 110 KIAS in the Harvard/T6.

I posted a question....

What exactly is the perceived bug? That the aircraft is not going into an accelerated stall to the right?

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

I posted a question for the few P51 pilots and an aviation forum:

This is more of a comparison/question between Flight Sims (DCS) and reality, which I hopefully like to clarify ?

With the DCS P51 I'd set the speed to around 250 mph and then at the same time, pull full on elevator and apply full right rudder.

Knowing that this application is contrary to propwash and torque, at that speed I'd still expect to go into an accelerated stall, if not, a full spin to the right.

Would this assumption (and physical conditions) be correct ?

In furtherance to my above query, herewith vid of what happens when I do what you said, ie full elevator/full right rudder at 250mph:

D6OJLH6Hd18

Track: Mustang stall.trk

Would appreciate it if you would point out in the vid what should not be happening/how it should be happening so I can investigate further.

Ta

Edited by 159th_Viper

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'