Navigation?

Mt5_Roie

Looking at the manual it's not really covered. But how does one navigate in a P51? I would assume you could use roads and landmarks for visual navigation, but is there a way to fly to a specific waypoint? I know in RL they have VOR and NBDs for aids...

Coder - Oculus Rift Guy - Court Jester

Map, compass & stopwatch. That's it.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

Read about the P-51, and other, pilots based in Australia during the War. At the outset only a tiny percentage of the continent had been mapped so keeping track of how you got to where you are was rather important.;)

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

The art of navigation comes down to knowing the difference between where you are and where you are not. If you know where you've been, and where you've gone, then you can deduce where you are not and subtract that from the possible locations where you may be, once you've gone there from where you are, and then calculate backwards from where you aren't to where you are.

Easy as pie! ;)

where ever you go, thats where you are.

"No matter where you go, there you are."

-- Buckaroo Banzai

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

The thing is, ED has not created a WW2 sim here. Instead, the world its P-51 flies in is full of contemporary details and equipment. Having no navaids at all is therefore just a little bit of a cop-out. I assume most warplanes currently flying have been retrofitted with GPS or VORs. I know ED want to create as perfect a recreation of the "classic" Mustang as possible -- and I'm loving it, it's the best stick and rudder flying I've ever done in a sim -- but later in the life of this product I think they should issue a VFR chart of the region and/or a VOR/OBS-equipped aircraft, or, realistically, and given it's not set in WW2, this P-51 is a VFR-only aircraft.

Old WW2 warplanes used to navigate by LORAN up until the late 60s. There are still LORAN stations available, but they arent really used anymore. I dont have P-51, but there should be a radio receiver in the cockpit somewhere where you can dial-a-LORAN station. But LORAN also has to be modelled in the sim as well. Russia uses a similar system called CHAYKA. Most LORAN stations are now off the air as of 2010, as well as CHAYKA. But the systems can still be brought back online.

Edited by hitman

The art of navigation comes down to knowing the difference between where you are and where you are not. If you know where you've been, and where you've gone, then you can deduce where you are not and subtract that from the possible locations where you may be, once you've gone there from where you are, and then calculate backwards from where you aren't to where you are.

Easy as pie! ;)

Hope that's apple pie cos I'm lost...

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

in the sim, there is a command to mark current location on kneeboard. it will be a triangle on the kneeboard toggled.. And the page for limitations needs the background image a bit less opaque... it's difficult to read on the fly.. Unless someone mods it..

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

in the sim, there is a command to mark current location on kneeboard. it will be a triangle on the kneeboard toggled.. And the page for limitations needs the background image a bit less opaque... it's difficult to read on the fly.. Unless someone mods it..

I use the kneeboard. On my Fighterstick I use a 4-way hat: up to toggle it on or off; left goes back a page; right goes forward a page; down uses that location triangle that shows where I am and the indicated time. BUT if I go off the kneeboard map, I am screwed.

What to do when you lose both compasses to dogfight damage? Has happened to me. I lost just about all my rotary flight instruments on the front dashboard and made it back to land it. The A.I. guy in the off-line one-on-one, P-51 against P-51, is unmerciful. Just a few pings and he does quite a bit of aircraft damage. Using the kneeboard map and the identifier triangle is how I got back to base.

One of the kneeboard maps is upside down. Intentional?

Also it is possible to zoom in on the in-cockpit pilot's kneeboard, too.

Nice thing about playing a map repeatedly is terrain identifiers to remember where you are and where you are going, like uniquely shaped hills or mountain peaks.

Edited by ErichVon