Do I need TrackIR to enjoy/play this game?

jreynol2

Just wanted to get your thoughts. Thanks!

TIR makes a huge difference in any flight sim.

In the case of something with a fully clickable cockpit, like A-10, it can be extra useful in simplifyiing access to various panels that are not right in front of you.

It is not needed but highly desirable, IMHO.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Note that FaceTrackNOIR might be a cheap alternative if you have a webcam. The developers (it's open source/free software) were supplied with an API by ED and were able to implement native support. Hopefully this implementation should work either right out of the box for World, or will work later.

The drawback is basically that you have a lower refresh rate, and a narrower field of view (which may or may not be a problem, I haven't tested myself), but on the other hand - if you have a webcam then you get it at zero expense.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Note that FaceTrackNOIR might be a cheap alternative if you have a webcam. The developers (it's open source/free software) were supplied with an API by ED and were able to implement native support. Hopefully this implementation should work either right out of the box for World, or will work later.

The drawback is basically that you have a lower refresh rate, and a narrower field of view (which may or may not be a problem, I haven't tested myself), but on the other hand - if you have a webcam then you get it at zero expense.

Wow, this is great! I'm def. going to check this out. Thank you!!!

Do you *need* it? No. I can't use mine in daylight hours because the TIR camera picks up speckles of sunlight and my display twists and turns like crazy. Do no dogfighting in an A-10C - where it really shines.

Should you get one? YES. The immersion factor is 10x+. It does help your orientation when running in.

• Like 1

Do you need it .... YES ..

I cant imagine anymore to puse the POV keys to turn my head. Especially if you fly over a target , inverted, dropping a bomb and checking for incoming AAA or missles.

and PS dont aim you TIR towards a window with sunshine then it indeed doesnt work proper .

• Like 1

You dont need one to play the game (fact). Enjoyment on the other hand is down to the individual. After having my TIR4 for many years now I would not enjoy playing without it. After i've been simming a lot i'll find myself moving my head trying to look at things out of shot while watching tv :)

• Like 1

Also note if you buy it direct from Natural Point, it has a 30 day money back satisfaction guarentee.

I have been using Track IR for several years, and would not fly without it.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

First time I hear someone having this issue... Do you know about "light filtering" function in TrackIR settings? Long time ago, I had those problems when I was still smoking, TIR would pick up cigarettes light and would go crazy for that moment... and then I found "light filtering" no more problems... and then I stopped smoking (best thing I've done in my life, second best thing was to stop watching TV) ;)

Do you *need* it? No. I can't use mine in daylight hours because the TIR camera picks up speckles of sunlight and my display twists and turns like crazy. Do no dogfighting in an A-10C - where it really shines.

Should you get one? YES. The immersion factor is 10x+. It does help your orientation when running in.

‎"Eagle Dynamics" - simulating human madness since 1991

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I flew for almost a year , FC2 , and a little A-10C before I landed out for mine . Others used to say to me , "If I didnt have TIR , I couldnt fly anymore" ..... that used to make me laugh , as I thought TIR cant be that good ..... I could see from watching youtube vids that it certainly looked the part .

So , I eventually forked out the money and bought it ..... it was easy to setup , and even more so with a little help with profiles from various other people on TS , thanks :) .

Now , Im saying , I dont know if I could ever play a flight sim without this bit of terrific equipment !!!

Big yes from me , buy one and experiance something pretty awesome dude .

First time I hear someone having this issue... Do you know about "light filtering" function in TrackIR settings? Long time ago, I had those problems when I was still smoking, TIR would pick up cigarettes light and would go crazy for that moment... and then I found "light filtering" no more problems... and then I stopped smoking (best thing I've done in my life, second best thing was to stop watching TV) ;)

I have tried fiddling with it but not extensively. Since I tend to play a lot during daytime hours now, I might have more of a play with it today. Thanks.

Guest Izoul123

I would never use the sim without Track IR again. Can't go back!!! Yes, it is exponentially better with it for many reasons, and I'd go as far as saying 'required' in my opinion, assuming you want ease of use/immersion.

Setup for me was pretty much plug and play. I have no exposed/open windows/light issues in my office that would affect the performance of it. I did some minor software adjustments to my taste, but for the most part it was plug'n'play. The only 'bitch' I have about it is the pro clip for it is somewhat shoddy/very flimsy. I ended up disassembling an old XBOX1 headset, and used just the headset-band for it which I secured the pro clip to. The housing for clip/where the cords meet is very flimsy, so be very careful with it!! I ended up reinforcing it.

I just wish it existed earlier in life and sims like Falcon and such could have used it back in the day. I think we'd see more people buying sims today if that were the case had it been more commonly used in the golden era of flight sims.

Track IR changes everything. Get it. End of story. :)

Edited by Izoul123