Max. engagement altitude of the SA-15

Cookie

Hi everyone,

today I flew a mission where I was to take out an enemy armored column protected by a couple of SA-15´s riding along. Since the SA-15 can reach up to approximately 20k ft (according to various websites) I figured I´d play it safe, go up to 25k ft and just plink the tanks from up there with LGBs.

When I approached the area I was even a little over 27k ft high, so I wasn´t worried about the SA-15 at all and ignored the beeping RWR while setting up my attack run. Just as I was about to release the first bomb, I was all of a sudden hit by something. While I was still trying to figure out what hit me, something else hit me and I blew up midair.

When I looked at the debriefing, it told me I was hit by two SA-15. How is this possible? I was at 27k ft and should have been untouchable for them. Is there something I am missing? I looked up the performance of the SA-15, and every single website said it can only reach up to about 6000m/20k ft, so I assume that figure is correct.

What gives?

• Like 1

- Two miles of road lead nowhere, two miles of runway lead everywhere -

Click here for system specs

I would say the quoted effective range and altitude is not the absolute max, and I think I am safe to assume that this effective range and altitude is greater with slow moving target, like the A-10C especially if you are flying right above the SAM

EDIT: just saw one Russian video abuot TOR and it has specified engagement range 1km-12km and engagement altitude 10m-10km, this one makes more sense to me as 6km seems bit too low. So you should be looking to fly above 30000ft

Edited by Kuky

No longer active in DCS...

Don't believe everything you read in the Internet.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

If you took no action to avoid anything and just flew in a straight line... I imagine the missile was just lobbed at you and may have had sufficient energy to "coast" through its technical limit and run into you before it headed back to earth or self destructed. If you had made it maneuver at ALL outside of its initial launch parameters I suspect it may have had significantly less reach.

If it means anything- at least in 1.1.1.1 I can't say I've ever been hit by a TOR at 20+. Then again- I don't dangle my weiner at them either...

"ENO"

Type in anger and you will make the greatest post you will ever regret.

"Sweetest's" Military Aviation Art

I looked up the performance of the SA-15, and every single website said it can only reach up to about 6000m/20k ft, so I assume that figure is correct.

Aye - that figure is incorrect.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

at this altitude, you've had enough leeway to dodge and pull all sorts of crazy maneuvers to break lock and evade, but you didn't. IRL, A-10 pilots don't go in unless the SEAD/DEAD got out first. You either joke or play seriously. Just set a couple F-18's or F-16's in and clear the area before you barge in hot and heavy.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

It is possible because you flew a very slow, non maneuvering aircraft inti a SAM meant to attack things with higher performance :)

The 20000' ceiling is just a high pk ceiling. The missiles can reach farther.

When I looked at the debriefing, it told me I was hit by two SA-15. How is this possible? I was at 27k ft and should have been untouchable for them. Is there something I am missing? I looked up the performance of the SA-15, and every single website said it can only reach up to about 6000m/20k ft, so I assume that figure is correct.

What gives?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Hi everyone,

today I flew a mission where I was to take out an enemy armored column protected by a couple of SA-15´s riding along. Since the SA-15 can reach up to approximately 20k ft (according to various websites) I figured I´d play it safe, go up to 25k ft and just plink the tanks from up there with LGBs.

When I approached the area I was even a little over 27k ft high, so I wasn´t worried about the SA-15 at all and ignored the beeping RWR while setting up my attack run. ...

What gives?

:) I guess the lesson is, if you hear a launch tone on the RWR, somebody just mailed you one. Even when you think you're safe, keep an ear tuned to that RWR. Happened to me yesterday afternoon, while I was dancing with SAMs. Thought I was safe, when the RWR proved me wrong. The bottom line is that the AI doesn't launch, unless it has a resolution.

Rich

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

6k alt for 12k range?

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/russia/sa-15-specs.htm ?

Edited by Wolf Rider

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"

Pyro- not to be a d1ck but what on earth does "if you aim for the sky you will never hit the ground" supposed to mean? And how is that inspirational? I challenge you to shoot anything that doesn't eventually hit the ground. Perfect example: this missile eventually hit the ground- amongst the pieces of an a-10. (for the sake of staying on topic)

Anyway- I would still love to hear your take on it.

"ENO"

Type in anger and you will make the greatest post you will ever regret.

"Sweetest's" Military Aviation Art

at this altitude, you've had enough leeway to dodge and pull all sorts of crazy maneuvers to break lock and evade, but you didn't. IRL, A-10 pilots don't go in unless the SEAD/DEAD got out first. You either joke or play seriously. Just set a couple F-18's or F-16's in and clear the area before you barge in hot and heavy.

I have to disagree. I love dancing with SAMs. Most SAM systems, I can engage at the max range with Mavs before the SAM launches on me. Obviously there are exceptions to the rule.

With that said, I cannot wait for DCS F/A-18 to come out and I will happily fly SEAD for all of you slow pokes out there....

• Like 1

Win 10 Pro 64Bit | 49" UWHD AOC 5120x1440p | AMD 5900x | 64Gb DDR4 | RX 6900XT

I have to disagree. I love dancing with SAMs. Most SAM systems, I can engage at the max range with Mavs before the SAM launches on me. Obviously there are exceptions to the rule.

With that said, I cannot wait for DCS F/A-18 to come out and I will happily fly SEAD for all of you slow pokes out there....

You can dance all you like with the F/A-18. But you should finish so I take over, not play with SAM and I get stuck up with them :D

Wiseguy!! :thumbup::smartass:

Will you take me as WSO though? if it's a 2 seater ? :)

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

The DCS ingame encyclopedia and wikipedia tell a max range of 12 km for the 9M330 missile (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SA-15)

As 12 km vertically correspond to a height of ~39370 ft, you will have to cruise at least at FL400 to stay outside the danger sphere. I doubt you can achieve that with the A-10C here...

So avoiding by altitude is not the way to go here...

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SA-15][/url]

You can dance all you like with the F/A-18. But you should finish so I take over, not play with SAM and I get stuck up with them :D

Wiseguy!! :thumbup::smartass:

Will you take me as WSO though? if it's a 2 seater ? :)

Sure thing my friend, just hold on tight!

Win 10 Pro 64Bit | 49" UWHD AOC 5120x1440p | AMD 5900x | 64Gb DDR4 | RX 6900XT