DCS SA342 Gazelle Project

Pat01

as far as i understand, FFB stick doesn't center but keeps center on trim position.

Ah ok. That is force trim.

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry for going off topic but can I ask what is the benefit of this? Helicopter cyclics don't have any forces of note. If anything you want zero force on the stick i.e no spring centre. Before getting my current setup I used to remove the power from my old ffb2 when flying helicopters so it wouldn't try and recentre. Do you mean a kind of pseudo force trim? Or to mimic the G-limiter on the gazelle?

Uhm, well, you do have load effect on cyclic. Not only the feedback system, but also trimming for instance. If you`ve ever been in a helicopter and managed to get hold of the cyclic, you would know. Anyways, I would absolutely prefer a fully realistic FFB, but will settle for simple spring (so that the stick won`t be limp). Well Polychop, should I assume "no" since you haven`t responded yet?

-=zero=-

Edited by zerO_crash

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Did anyone notice the lack of engine/rotor noise after start up in the last video? Maybe it was just on my end, but I could not hear a thing.

Cockpit noises has been reduced for video recording.

2D/3D Artist

MILTECH-5 /PD

Lead 3D Artist - TrueGrit Virtual Technologies

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

BO-105 PAH1A1/VBH / HKP-9A / BO-105 CBS-5 KLH

Eurofighter Typhoon

https://www.facebook.com/PolyDynamicsDCS/

Windows 10 (x64)

3x Corsair SSD GT 250 GB

Mainboard: Asus STRIX Z390-F

CPU: Intel Core I9-9900K @ 3.60GHz

RAM: 64 Gb

Graphics: MSI GForce GTX 980 TI 4GB

HOTAS Warthog

Hofmann Simpad Rudders

Oculus Rift / Oculus Touch

Heavy Metal is the law ! :punk:

Uhm, well, you do have load effect on cyclic. Not only the feedback system, but also trimming for instance. If you`ve ever been in a helicopter and managed to get hold of the cyclic, you would know. Anyways, I would absolutely prefer a fully realistic FFB, but will settle for simple spring (so that the stick won`t be limp). Well Polychop, should I assume "no" since you haven`t responded yet?

-=zero=-

My understanding is that a helicopter cyclic with hydraulic assist does not have any load effect other than the feedback trim set by the pilot (it's an artificial load designed into the system). What your asking for is the gazelle module to move the position of the centering force in your joystick. When you said FFB I thought you may be referring to the G limiter specific to the sas system in the gazelle.

You can DIY a force trim release system that does not require any input from the PC. It will function on a trim release button but does not have beep trim. I'll pm you an example of you wish to avoid derailing the thread further. Sorry to everyone else for going OT.

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

No one cares about weekend news just the release of the Gazelle haha

If we are really lucky.........we will get both :D

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

My understanding is that a helicopter cyclic with hydraulic assist does not have any load effect other than the feedback trim set by the pilot (it's an artificial load designed into the system). What your asking for is the gazelle module to move the position of the centering force in your joystick. When you said FFB I thought you may be referring to the G limiter specific to the sas system in the gazelle.

Well your understand is flawed I am afraid. Why do you have trim in a helicopter in the first place? Well, the answer is simple, to relieve the pilot of holding his hand in an unconfortable position for long, as well as setting a new "mid" setting for the cyclic so you don`t fight the hydraulics. Those are the two primary reasons why trim was created for helicopters in the first place.

And you don`t need a artificially simulated load, it`s going to be there anyways, regardless if it is a mechanical connection, or hydraulic, hell, even moderated through a computer (think of it as FBW).

Also, I do have a program that simulates spring load, that is not the point. The thing is, it is not as good as actual in-game FFB, as well as being problematic (you have to switch between FFB on and off depending on what module you fly), I wish to avoid it at all cost. There is virtually no reason not to put it, unless we are talking time constraints. Every module has it till now (mirage 2000 is getting it soon), so why not anyways?

Edited by zerO_crash

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well your understand is flawed I am afraid. Why do you have trim in a helicopter in the first place? Well, the answer is simple, to relieve the pilot of holding his hand in an unconfortable position for long, as well as setting a new "mid" setting for the cyclic so you don`t fight the hydraulics. Those are the two primary reasons why trim was created for helicopters in the first place.

And you don`t need a artificially simulated load, it`s going to be there anyways, regardless if it is a mechanical connection, or hydraulic, hell, even moderated through a computer (think of it as FBW).

Also, I do have a program that simulates spring load, that is not the point. The thing is, it is not as good as actual in-game FFB, as well as being problematic (you have to switch between FFB on and off depending on what module you fly), I wish to avoid it at all cost. There is virtually no reason not to put it, unless we are talking time constraints. Every module has it till now (mirage 2000 is getting it soon), so why not anyways?

We will have to agree to disagree. I dont believe the pilot has to fight against the hydraulics like you say. In training Huey pilots weren't even allowed to use force trim. The control forces weren't heavy like in a fixed wing aircraft. I've drawn us way off topic. No reason why you shouldn't have your force feedback. I never suggested otherwise. I only questioned what exactly you were looking for. Based on what I've read from you so far I'm sorry I asked.

This bird and VR look like they were made for each other. With all that open glass I can't wait for my CV1 to arrive next month!

ROTORCRAFT RULE

GB Aorus Ultra Z390| 8700K @ 4.9GHz | 32 GB DDR4 3000 | MSI GTX 1080ti | Corsair 1000HX | Silverstone FT02-WRI | Nvidia 3D Vision Surround | Windows 10 Professional X64

Volair Sim Cockpit, Rift S, Saitek X-55 HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, Microsoft FF2, OE-XAM Bell 206 Collective, C-Tek anti-torque pedals

UH-1, SA342, Mi-8, KA50, AV8B, P-51D, A-10C, L39, F86, Yak, NS-430, Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf

This bird and VR look like they were made for each other. With all that open glass I can't wait for my CV1 to arrive next month!

Yes.. yes they do.

We have a spool vidy, soon she comes.:D

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

We will have to agree to disagree. I dont believe the pilot has to fight against the hydraulics like you say. In training Huey pilots weren't even allowed to use force trim. The control forces weren't heavy like in a fixed wing aircraft. I've drawn us way off topic. No reason why you shouldn't have your force feedback. I never suggested otherwise. I only questioned what exactly you were looking for. Based on what I've read from you so far I'm sorry I asked.

Well then we disagree. But anyways, don`t worry about asking, we all learn more from discussing ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lucky man, I'd love to try VR out on this bird.

Lets hope we don't have to wait that long for the Gazelle to arrive!

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

i think glass reflections havent been implemented yet. i saw no reflection on the startup video

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

Well then we disagree. But anyways, don`t worry about asking, we all learn more from discussing ;)

We learn from discussing and doing... gonna be sweet....:hehe:

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

Indeed my previous statement on the release of the gazelle was incorrect!

For sure we should not forget the massive, nay gargantuan driving force behind the gazelle.... and I should have, could have, would have stated a huge thank you to Pat01 for bringing us the first true light weight to DCS...

Thanks Pat01... I am looking forward to it.

Just got an email mine is shipping in 1-3 weeks. Can't wait.

Although with my current Oculus Rift DK2 I have to say that newer aircraft are amazing to fly with the Rift. It seems like older jet and planes (FC3 series) aren't lined up right and the HUD is unreadable. One of my favorite to fly is the Mirage because she looks so great on the rift.

I also find that in the huey, I can "sense" more motion sensation then in jets. In Jets, i usually only get "sensed" when flying upside down. I think it's because of the open cockpit of the Huey. The gazelle has a even more open cockpit so should be amazing with the DK2 and the CV1.

i love the work thats progressing on the gazelle. the only complaint i have with the start up video is that the doors look "blocky" when it is in the open position... hopefully its just a WIP..

cant wait to buy..

come to realize maybe the video only showed of gazelle with certain graphics setting on low?

just a thought, not trying to critizize too much.. 1st day buy for me!

Edited by hannibal

find me on steam! username: Hannibal_A101A

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197969447179

/\ /\ /\ /\

Nice pic.

Well, they look ok on our Gazelle to me, actually the detail they have put into this is amazing. I just looked at the start of the quick-start video where you can see the doors and if you look at the hinges, rivets etc. they have out Gazelle very close to it's real life counterpart.

Wonder if it will release today? no sign of the weekend news letter yet........

Edited by bart

My money is on a release next week but announcement this week.

System Specs: i7 8700k @ 5.0GHz (not delidded), ASRock Extreme4 Z370 MOBO, EVGA GTX 1080 SC 8GB, 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz DDR4 RAM, Samsung Evo 240GB SSD, Samsung Evo 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Noctura NH-D15S Heat Sink, Acer VE278H 27" 1080p Monitor, Ocukus Rift CV1.

Controllers: TrackIR 5, Thrustmaster HOTAS X, Saitek Throttle Quadrant (with DIY removable collective mod), Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals.

Just trying to keep my number of takeoffs and landings equal!