Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

tobaschi

Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion  

437 members have voted

1. 1. Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

• 599$ did not faze you, and YOU PRE-ORDER IT!
    • 599$ puts me into bankrupcy - I will not spend that kind of money - WILL NOT BUY
    • on the fence, will BUY LATER (at retail launch)

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's good to know but I am a bit surprised since Jason sounded thoroughly unimpressed when he posted about it on the Rise of Flight forums.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Crazy video!

I was just testing outtera and the Mig29... Wow! The 3d pit is pretty impressive, like you are actually in the plane. The Outtera boys did a good job with the rift implementation, but Dcs would be so much better.....crickets

That's good to know but I am a bit surprised since Jason sounded thoroughly unimpressed when he posted about it on the Rise of Flight forums.

I wouldn't say that - he gave quite a balanced review of the first go he had at it. I think he called it tech that's 80% there which sounds about right to me. The low resolution, movement latency and lack of keyboard visibility were the main downsides he called out and these are 3 areas which the OR devs specifically said they're working on to improve in a recent vid I saw. Just remains to see what the OR devs can put together now - if they can tie down the remaining technical problems it's going to be a game-changer. But until I see that happen I'll be sticking with Track IR.

Tack Ir sucks compared to the rift now ( sorry for my French ) ! I can see the keyboard fine, but it is near my lap. The latency is a non- issue for most demo's . The res is low, and we do need that fixed.

If we get 1080p and positional tracking, then we are good to go!

Edited by Flim

Tack Ir sucks compared to the rift now ( sorry my French ) ! I can see the keyboard fine, but it is near my lap. The latency is a non- issue for most demo's . The res is low, and we do need that fixed.

If we get 1080p and positional tracking, then we are good to go!

+1

Tracking Latency is down to the programming. When its done right I see no latency at all. Same with keyboard, you can look down or use a screen overlay. Resolution on the consumer version will be at least 1080p and early renderings show two camera on the front plate, meaning positional tracking.

Bring on the DCS integration!

Maybe they are saving the announcement of rift support for the Sept 1st secret announcement.

Intel i7 6700k OC 4.7ghz

Asus ROG Maximus VIII Hero Motherboard

Zotac GTX980ti 6GB Amp Extreme

32 GB DDR4 3200 RAM

Oculus Rift CV1

Thrustmaster Warthog

Here is a nice description of the 1080 prototype:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/36892/my-impressions-of-the-1080p-hd-oculus-rift-prototype/

I incredulously got a chance to demo the 1080p HD Oculus Rift Prototype at The Siggraph 2013 conference in Anaheim.

I just hope to emphasize how much of a leap forward this prototype truly was in it's own right.

I loved everything about it.

The Screen

It's a night and day difference.

Looking at Things From a Distance:

This was my absolute favorite thing about the HD Prototype.

My dev kit should be with me tomorrow. Has anybody succeeded in getting it to work in DCS in any form?

I'm passionate about helicopter sims. I fly x-plane 10, FSX and the Huey in DCS. So far it seems none of them fully support the Rift. I do hope that will change. The rift seems like the perfect add on for virtual VFR low level flight.

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

My dev kit should be with me tomorrow. Has anybody succeeded in getting it to work in DCS in any form?

I'm passionate about helicopter sims. I fly x-plane 10, FSX and the Huey in DCS. So far it seems none of them fully support the Rift. I do hope that will change. The rift seems like the perfect add on for virtual VFR low level flight.

Sure, I can use Nthusim HMD with DCS World, but it's a bit awkward to use with the Rift resolution.

Tracking latency: there's none (probably who experienced it, it was due to a poor programming). There hardware drift in the device if the software is not designed to compensate it via intuitive algorithms, and despite this, the tracking precision and the simplicity of who the device tracks your head (no 6-dof in the devkit tho) is AWESOME! I can't describe it, after you have tested it, returning to the trackIR (I own a TIR4 with clip-PRO) is a pain and you really understand how bad the TrackIR actually is!

FOV: it's HUGE, I dunno how ppl said it's like watching into a tube (probably they had the lens too far apart? I dunno). It almost covers your whole visual with a little black perceptible on the sides. It's like wearing a bike helmet to make to make an example. It's much bigger than three 27" monitor in surround mode (that I own), in other words I can't imagine anything giving a such big FOV if not sitting in fronto of a huge cinema screen.

Screendoor effect: I imagined the bad, reading all the reviews around.. but honestly I didn't noticed anything "strange". I mean you can actually see the "dots" if you're looking for them, but it's not that they are going to disturb you much, I mean while being captured by the whole rest, you won't concentrate on the pixels much.

Resolution: opposite of the previous point, I've read ppl talking about the poor res, but trying it yourself, you figure that is really poor. If you're getting used to have a very high DPI, this is going to beat your head. The devkit is not for gaming for sure, a 1080p is absolutely necessary for some serious experience. I've tried some "demos" that are awesome even at this res (Titans of Space anyone?), but I can't imagine most of the game on it, especially something like DCS-A10C where being able to read the MDFs is absolutely necessary, even without zooming much. Can't wait for the retail improved version.

Said this, I were convinced about it before, have tested it around, but now that I received mine and I had the opportunity to test intensively, I'm even more convinced. This is going to revolutionize the gaming (at least some aspect of it, like fight sims, racing sims, FPS.. etc.) and we absolutely need it "today" to not come late when the retail version will hit the stores.

Please add the support to it... NOW!

Hey Npole, try Outtera and the Mig, mucho cool!

Having problem in Outtera with the Warthog throttle though, acts all wacky...

Like I said, for it to be usable we need higher resolution and positional tracking. I like the idea of a 5.5 1080p screen, I think it will make a world of difference. Also, the immersion at this point is better than any other option including: triple screen, single large screen w/tir, 4-5- projectors etc...

I guess we need to get this in the hands of some Russian ED programmers! I know you boys are watching, lol

Sure, I can use Nthusim HMD with DCS World, but it's a bit awkward to use with the Rift resolution.

I hadn't realized this software was available! I have owned Nthusim sofware for a while now. I used it with my projector on a curved screen.

EDIT: Brad I purchased the pre-release software and posted on the Nthusim site. Perhaps you could reply there at your convenience (user name Fergus).

Edited by Frusheen

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

I hadn't realized this software was available! I have owned Nthusim sofware for a while now. I used it with my projector on a curved screen.

EDIT: Brad I purchased the pre-release software and posted on the Nthusim site. Perhaps you could reply there at your convenience (user name Fergus).

Should be all set. There is an early access FAQ in the Nthusim forums along with the download link. It's still in early access development build. It has the same core engine as the projector utilities though. :)

In other Oculus news, John Carmack just joined up with them as CTO. :thumbup:

http://www.oculusvr.com/blog/john-carmack-joins-oculus-as-cto/

Edited by BHawthorne

I was kinda surprised to see John joining them so soon, but he has been suspiciously silent over the past few months, so I suspected something like this would happen. I haven't seen definitive word yet if he really left id software for Oculus or if he simply took the position as a secondary job...

| i9 12900K |  64GB DDR5-6000 | STRIX RTX 4090 OC | LG 38GN950 38" |

| Hanns-G HT225HPB | TIR 5 & Varjo Aero | Virpil Throttle & Stick | TM TPRs |

You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.

I haven't seen definitive word yet if he really left id software for Oculus or if he simply took the position as a secondary job...

From Oculus news he receives his permanent office, and here is twit from Carmack

@ID_AA_Carmack: My time division is now Oculus over Id over Armadillo. Busy busy busy!

https://twitter.com/id_aa_carmack/status/365126783290445824

Thanks, haven't looked on Twitter for that one. Good to know that he doesn't leave id, that might have been the end of Doom 4.

| i9 12900K |  64GB DDR5-6000 | STRIX RTX 4090 OC | LG 38GN950 38" |

| Hanns-G HT225HPB | TIR 5 & Varjo Aero | Virpil Throttle & Stick | TM TPRs |

You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.

John Carmack joining the Oculus team is huge,cmon ED i want rift support and I want it noowww!! lol

Intel i7 6700k OC 4.7ghz

Asus ROG Maximus VIII Hero Motherboard

Zotac GTX980ti 6GB Amp Extreme

32 GB DDR4 3200 RAM

Oculus Rift CV1

Thrustmaster Warthog