Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

tobaschi

Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion  

437 members have voted

1. 1. Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

• 599$ did not faze you, and YOU PRE-ORDER IT!
    • 599$ puts me into bankrupcy - I will not spend that kind of money - WILL NOT BUY
    • on the fence, will BUY LATER (at retail launch)

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wasn't a bad adapter. Accel makes the best you get. Good luck with your efforts!

I have 9 AccelL Mini DP to DVI Adapters, I had to replace 2 that were DoA, They have great adapters, but there are still failures etc

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

Yes, it's a mess over at the oculus forums. Personally, I can't believe how impatient people are being only a couple of days after shipping was supposed to start that they personally have not received a notice.

The excuses dont reflect on oculus at all. Things like, if I dont know when they will bill me then I wont have money on my card. So? Put money on your card and leave it there, you werent planning on spending it in the meantime were you? The excuses after only a couple of days just reflect on maturity imo.

People seem to think the echo chamber of hearing themselves and a few others over and over reflects the rest of the world.

Anyhow, I hope there is no serious issue and mine arrives tomorrow, or tantrum will surely ensure! :)

I for one am just excited to get my OR whenever it comes, and while I agree with what you and Derek are saying, Oculus brought this on themselves, just like their stupidity on quoting price points well before a consumer version was close.

They should have never said a price in the early days and with the pre-ordering they should have never emailed out a ship date, instead they should have sent a confirmation order and a TBA ship date.

They'll figure it out, I'm not worried but they could have prevented the mess they created by simply not giving anyone a ship date.

Finally we have some comment from Oculus about the delay:

I didn't get the email but the shipping that was previously on my order page has been removed.

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

I agree,Oculus definitely brought this on themselves. I ordered DK1 and waited months for it,I knew it was a dev kit and I knew before I ordered it that it would be months before I got it,they sold 50k units I believe. DK2 came out and again they said it would be months before you get it. I figured maybe they learned from the logistical problems they had with DK1 so DK2 should ship faster,and in my opinion or at least in my case DK2 did ship slightly faster than DK1. I believe they sold 100k units.

Now they are owned by Facebook, a multi billion dollar company, first day of preorders = website crash, I was ok with that, it happens. Order confirmation errors,ok with that also. When you ordered your rift there was a brief second where it showed what month your rift would be delivered,since the website crashed you had to constantly reorder and the date changed to April,then May then June all within a matter of minutes. I had like 40 total charges on my CC because I kept trying to reorder. I'm sure all of you are in the same boat so I know you know how I feel. The first rifts are being delivered to the people who backed the kickstarter, they cant even fill those orders even though they claim they have been making them since September.

At this point I'm tired of typing, to sum it all up they should have had a minimum of 150k CV1's ready to ship on March 28th,there is no way they have anywhere close to that. Everyone is saying be patient, I was patient during DK1 and DK2,even Gear VR. Dont offer the product if you dont have the product.

Intel i7 6700k OC 4.7ghz

Asus ROG Maximus VIII Hero Motherboard

Zotac GTX980ti 6GB Amp Extreme

32 GB DDR4 3200 RAM

Oculus Rift CV1

Thrustmaster Warthog

I got an email saying 1-3 weeks.

That update is good enough for me, I'm not remotely concerned and am looking forward to receiving it.

You might want to amend your signature then :-p

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

I went to pester the local GAME this morning, as I do every week, asking for a VR update.

The lad said that they were not expecting any in - or to take orders for them (only "interest") until all current orders for both headsets had been delivered.

He also said that it might be worth waiting and picking up a PSVR instead (something I have not looked at in any way - so no idea what they bring to the table), as apparently, they will work on the PC, too.

Whether the PSVR will be compatible with the other VR titles is another matter.

I'm sticking to keeping my Rift order and seeing what people say when they actually have their VR headsets, over the next couple of months. I can then decide. So far, the only reason I can see for cancelling, except for a sudden, unexpected shortage of funds, is the time-frame. But then, if I didn't have to wait, I would have had to have made a less informed decision - so works both ways :)

- here's an interesting vid on the Rift components:

Edited by Brixmis

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

Just got the delay/apology email. April 12th processing or earlier for me. Hopefully we have 1.3 integration by then. Now time to get back to work on my g-seat.

I can't help but think that the biggest cockup has been the SDK/runtime. What the hell have they been doing for the last 2+ years.

I look at the store and really there's only 2 standouts that I want to play.. Elite Dangerous and PCars. Elite Dangerous has pretty much always had OR support, and PCars hasn't been that far behind it either, but, yeah, if you buy the Pcars from the OR store, there's no multiplayer with Steam.

Lucky Tale is 5 mins of fun but there's no depth to it, unlike say Mario. Eve Valkyrie? Seems more like a tech demo than a fully fleshed out game. And then there's the rest that are either tech demos or games which make little use of VR.

I'd have thought Oculus be on the ball. Nailing down the final SDK 6 months ago, so that it would have given DCS a good deal of time to integrate 1.3. Same goes for Assetto Corsa which had preliminary support but the dev has now put it on the backburner. Euro Truck Simulator? Alien: Isolation? Surely with the great interest of VR to devs, Oculus should have did like Nvidia does. Offer support so the Oculus name gets on a gamebox and frees up the developers resources.

Wasn't that the whole point of DK2? Those that have pre-ordered CV1 early, if it turns up tomorrow, what are you going to play? There's a massive graveyard of all these old games and tech demos that now don't even work with 1.3. Maybe I've misunderstood, but I thought that even 0.8 games would work under 1.3, but they don't seem to. Come 28th March, I'd have thought Oculus hit the ground running with a greater selection of games available rather than now having to wait, literally months, for stuff to be updated to handle the updated SDK.

At least the Valve store is somewhat more interesting. There's probably like 2.. 3.. 5 times the amount of stuff available..

Edited by Vladdo
  • Like 1

I can't help but think that the biggest cockup has been the SDK/runtime. What the hell have they been doing for the last 2+ years.

I look at the store and really there's only 2 standouts that I want to play.. Elite Dangerous and PCars. Elite Dangerous has pretty much always had OR support, and PCars hasn't been that far behind it either, but, yeah, if you buy the Pcars from the OR store, there's no multiplayer with Steam.

Lucky Tale is 5 mins of fun but there's no depth to it, unlike say Mario. Eve Valkyrie? Seems more like a tech demo than a fully fleshed out game. And then there's the rest that are either tech demos or games which make little use of VR.

I'd have thought Oculus be on the ball. Nailing down the final SDK 6 months ago, so that it would have given DCS a good deal of time to integrate 1.3. Same goes for Assetto Corsa which had preliminary support but the dev has now put it on the backburner. Euro Truck Simulator? Alien: Isolation? Surely with the great interest of VR to devs, Oculus should have did like Nvidia does. Offer support so the Oculus name gets on a gamebox and frees up the developers resources.

Wasn't that the whole point of DK2? Those that have pre-ordered CV1 early, if it turns up tomorrow, what are you going to play? There's a massive graveyard of all these old games and tech demos that now don't even work with 1.3. Maybe I've misunderstood, but I thought that even 0.8 games would work under 1.3, but they don't seem to. Come 28th March, I'd have thought Oculus hit the ground running with a greater selection of games available rather than now having to wait, literally months, for stuff to be updated to handle the OR.

At least the Valve store is somewhat more interesting. There's probably like 2.. 3.. 5 times the amount of stuff available..

I only bought the rift for flight sims. P3d already has support for 1.3 with Flyinside and DCS is coming soon. Unfortunately, the best helicopter sim is unlikely to ever see rift support (X-plane) but that was always going to be the case since long before cv1 was announced.

As for the stuff in the store I'm not interested in any of it really. I have elite dangerous so will give it a go but the god ray issues may make that a non runner. I tried eve Valkyrie while it was alpha and it didn't impress me at all. The rest of it is novelty titles that I might try or use to demo the unit to friends.

I keep my ear to the ground. Here's what I know WRT VR integration and various popular flight and driving sims:

I'd personally expect that ETS and ATS to offer v1.3 VR support at some point since VR was implemented early on. I'd also expect that Phoenix (PCarsII) should get the same VR treatment as PCars eventually. All this is my speculation.

I'd talk more about how great DCS is with v1.3 support, but right now there's nothing to say. I'm sure it will be good when it hits. I'm especially looking forward to the new planes in the works. I do hope that ED optimizes the various graphical elements to the sim's objects so to make rendering with VR more efficient. Frame rates have to be right, and there has never been more of a demand on frame rate performance than now with the advent of VR.

Edited by DerekSpeare
PCars - Steam VR Support current with Oculus Home

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

which makes the DK2 cost about the same as the CV1.

You get it wrong. I said before for those who already own DK2 this is alternative to think about. 270 is still less than 600.

With this kit you can even make your own DIY VR because you just need some cheaper GearVR replica for 20$ and headtracking solution. Even with this solution you can reach total 350$.

You are right only if you want to buy DK2 and upgrade kit in that case it is pointless to bother with something what will cost you as CV.

Wasn't that the whole point of DK2? Those that have pre-ordered CV1 early, if it turns up tomorrow, what are you going to play? There's a massive graveyard of all these old games and tech demos that now don't even work with 1.3. Maybe I've misunderstood, but I thought that even 0.8 games would work under 1.3, but they don't seem to. Come 28th March, I'd have thought Oculus hit the ground running with a greater selection of games available rather than now having to wait, literally months, for stuff to be updated to handle the updated SDK.

Yeah, I'm looking through the store right now, there's absolutely no way I'd spend money on 95% of those games. Hell I wouldn't even want to play them if they were free. Oculus really messed up the software lineup, plenty of reviews labelled VR as a gimmick in its current state thanks to that

Really hope that Valve has a more convincing lineup to drive public interest, it'd be such a shame if this ends up as a niche product for sim-games

Also, on an unrelated note, has anybody tried VorpX with DCS while we're waiting for the 1.3 update?

I keep my ear to the ground. Here's what I know WRT VR integration and various popular flight and driving sims:

I'd personally expect that ETS and ATS to offer v1.3 VR support at some point since VR was implemented early on. I'd also expect that Phoenix (PCarsII) should get the same VR treatment as PCars eventually. All this is my speculation.

I'd talk more about how great DCS is with v1.3 support, but right now there's nothing to say. I'm sure it will be good when it hits. I'm especially looking forward to the new planes in the works. I do hope that ED optimizes the various graphical elements to the sim's objects so to make rendering with VR more efficient. Frame rates have to be right, and there has never been more of a demand on frame rate performance than now with the advent of VR.

what about warthunder, and what is "WRT"?

by the way, do you feel like the audio in DCS is spatial? (after your DK2 experiences)

Edited by hannibal

find me on steam! username: Hannibal_A101A

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197969447179

Hmmm,Interesting.Just received this email

"Hi PATRICK,

We know you're anxious to receive your Oculus Rift and apologize for not updating your order status sooner. We've been working through an unexpected component shortage, and unfortunately, that issue has impacted the original shipping estimates for some early customers.

We're working hard to get up-to-date ship windows, and you should expect to see your order status updated on oculus.com by Tuesday, April 12. Although many Rifts will be arriving on schedule and in line with original estimates, we'll be covering shipping and handling costs for all orders placed through today.

We're shipping rifts everyday. Don't hesitate to reach out to the Oculus support team if you have additional questions.

The Oculus Team"

Patrick

mini.gif

You get it wrong. I said before for those who already own DK2 this is alternative to think about. 270 is still less than 600.

With this kit you can even make your own DIY VR because you just need some cheaper GearVR replica for 20$ and headtracking solution. Even with this solution you can reach total 350$.

You are right only if you want to buy DK2 and upgrade kit in that case it is pointless to bother with something what will cost you as CV.

I meant it as a total, the DK2 + that kit makes it about the same price as a CV1 minus Xbox controller,

So all together you're spending about the same, just split into 2 spread out payments.

Also with that kit, would you still be able to run direct to rift mode, or does it turn your unit into a botched DK2 that you run as a normal monitor and require a 3rd party program like VorpX to run games in VR, since youre not just replacing the screen but the Mipi board as well.

Another note,

for DIYers, you can buy a 15-25 HMD Cell phone kit, and mount this screen kit into it l, for half the cost of Oculus Cv1, you just wont have the tracking system or software.

I have seen DiY tracking mods running off TIR and ps eye cameras.

So its something to think about.

I meant it as a total, the DK2 + that kit makes it about the same price as a CV1 minus Xbox controller,

So all together you're spending about the same, just split into 2 spread out payments.

Also with that kit, would you still be able to run direct to rift mode, or does it turn your unit into a botched DK2 that you run as a normal monitor and require a 3rd party program like VorpX to run games in VR, since youre not just replacing the screen but the Mipi board as well.

Another note,

for DIYers, you can buy a 15-25 HMD Cell phone kit, and mount this screen kit into it l, for half the cost of Oculus Cv1, you just wont have the tracking system or software.

I have seen DiY tracking mods running off TIR and ps eye cameras.

So its something to think about.

Yes you right if you watch it that way. This could be better solution because direct HDMI connection and possibility to overclock lcd on 75Mhz same way as ORCV1. That is the possible benefit and advantage over smartphone.

I'm guessing this should be working straight away same way as simmilar kit was for DK1 with upgrade to 1080p screen.

It's more question than statement as one of the possibility for DK2 owners because you cant sell it for some dissent price to add rest for CV1.

Edited by wormeaten

Yes you right if you watch it that way. This could be better solution because direct HDMI connection and possibility to overclock lcd on 75Mhz same way as ORCV1. That is the possible benefit and advantage over smartphone.

I'm guessing this should be working straight away same way as simmilar kit was for DK1 with upgrade to 1080p screen.

It's more question than statement as one of the possibility for DK2 owners because you cant sell it for some dissent price to add rest for CV1.

The MIPI DSI on the DK1 supported 1080p, so you just replace the screen w/ a compatible one.

The Toshiba TC358779XBG MIPI / DSI Controller Chip in the DK2 wouldnt support that resolution.

Which is basically swapping out the entire guts and keeping the DK2 HMD and Tracking system.

I received the shipping fee refund as well. They've refunded everyone's shipping fees up to April 1st. This is likely many millions they've refunded and not insignificant. Good on them for it.

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

I'm really becoming disheartened with society in general. People have fought in war and kids get online and complain about every tiny thing they can think of.

Am considering removing myself from all online interactions (forums/reddit). It's just too depressing to see hard working creators be badgered by spoilt children.

I plan on spending every cent of that shipping saving in Oculus Store.

That's great news, hopefully more people who are entertained by shallow arcade games invest enough money to keep the industry afloat until bigger dev studios hop on and VR reaches core gamers.

I wish I still had my childlike mind that can be entertained by those kind of games.

Edited by Elo001

Looking forward to walking on the Moon with OR....

[ame]

[/ame]

ASUS Sabertooth X79 TUF Motherboard / Intel Core i7-3930K Unlocked Processor Six Core / Corsair CMP32GX3M4X1600C10 Dominator Memory Kit - 32GB (4x 8GB) / OCZ Solid 3 480GB Solid State Drive / EVGA GeForce GTX 670 FTW+ / Corsair CW-9060002-WW Hydro H70 CORE CPU Cooler / Seagate ST1000DM003 1TB Hard Drive / BenQ XL2420TX 24" Widescreen LED Gaming Monitor - 1920 x 1080 / Windows 7 Ultimate Edition, 64-bit / C-Tek 12-bit: Foot Pedals - Robinson Cyclic - 5-button-hat cyclic - Collective / TrackIR-5

That's great news, hopefully more people who are entertained by shallow arcade games invest enough money to keep the industry afloat until bigger dev studios hop on and VR reaches core gamers.

I wish I still had my childlike mind that can be entertained by those kind of games.

Are DCS, EveValkerie, Project Cars, Cliffs of Dover etc childlike games? I suppose we could say all games are childish. That said most people who have tried VR no longer seem to have much interest in playing those manly games on a monitor.;)