The AH-64 Apache Thread

Piffer

So if someone's watch on the ground catches the sun the wrong way and creates a reflected flash of light, boom, they're dead? This should precipitate a whole new industry of matte-faced Rolexes. <g>

Heh, that's a pretty good idea for a false alarm trigger test for the system.

You're onto something with the idea, but the system works a little differently than you might think. It doesn't work on visible light, it works with mid wave IR and it must have algorithms that help it identify the specific and rather large IR signature of a muzzle blast. They would really want to keep down the number of false alarms and such.

You can read more about the systems from this .pdf even shows the symbology shown in a CROWS sight, and the helicopter MFD icon indicating ground fire.

http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2011smallarms/WednesdaySI12570Weiland.pdf

Edited by Invader ZIM

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That the US Army flies as well.

Boring CrApache.

Yea, little known fact I guess, FLIR system is downgraded, ECM is different on export versions, among other things. Still keeps the same name though. Like the Export M1's to Egypt without the depleted uranium armor.

Export is always downgraded.

Considering the bad crash and damage, wouldn't have mattered much anyways, should have put the smiley by my post I guess.

Here's a dashcam video of the accident, it really plowed into the building at high speed, more amazing is that the crew both survived that.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=be2_1398411664

Edited by Invader ZIM

Yea, little known fact I guess, FLIR system is downgraded, ECM is different on export versions, among other things. Still keeps the same name though. Like the Export M1's to Egypt without the depleted uranium armor.

Export is always downgraded.

But with the same powerplants, same weight and balances, same performance. Essentially the same aircraft.

Heh, that's a pretty good idea for a false alarm trigger test for the system.

You're onto something with the idea, but the system works a little differently than you might think. It doesn't work on visible light, it works with mid wave IR and it must have algorithms that help it identify the specific and rather large IR signature of a muzzle blast. They would really want to keep down the number of false alarms and such.

You can read more about the systems from this .pdf even shows the symbology shown in a CROWS sight, and the helicopter MFD icon indicating ground fire.

http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2011smallarms/WednesdaySI12570Weiland.pdf

Thank you, that is an interesting read.

ROG Maximus X, Intel i7-3770 3.5GHz , Nvidia 680Ti, 16GB DDR3 2400MHz, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro

• 3 weeks later...

Apache driver here

Hello all,

I grew up flying flight sims back from the old days of the original MSFS until now and was a member on various flight sim forums. I always remembered how interesting it was to speak with real life pilots that came around from time to time to sort of cross check how accurate the sims were and whatnot. I'd like to extend the same courtesy so if anybody has any questions feel free to ask. I don't believe DCS has any Apache sims but if anyone has any questions about helicopter aviation in general I'd be glad to answer them the best I can.

Welcome :)

Ed Macey's a member here as well although he has not been around in a good while.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Welcome :)

Ed Macey's a member here as well although he has not been around in a good while.

That is awesome I'm sure it's amazing to have him around here. His book was great I've read it multiple times once I start I can rarely put it back down. I've read the other book about the Ugly flight called "Apache Dawn" by Damien Lewis. Not sure if that book was set before or after Ed Macy's time there but they were all part of the Ugly squadron.

Hats off to him and the entire Ugly crew. Amazing stories from them all.

Hello all,

I grew up flying flight sims back from the old days of the original MSFS until now and was a member on various flight sim forums. I always remembered how interesting it was to speak with real life pilots that came around from time to time to sort of cross check how accurate the sims were and whatnot. I'd like to extend the same courtesy so if anybody has any questions feel free to ask. I don't believe DCS has any Apache sims but if anyone has any questions about helicopter aviation in general I'd be glad to answer them the best I can.

Thanks for your service, Air Force here. Where have you been stationed at?

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

Not the biggest or most interesting question I suppose, but what's up with the American military's seeming obsession of calling pilots "drivers"?

Eh I dunno, here in Canada they 'drive' motorcycles too. *shrug*

Hello all,

Welcome,And Thank You very mich for your service and willing to give feedback/knowledge to The DCS Community:thumbup:Cheers!

Can you say what block/version of AH-64 You've flown? And have you flown Combat missions?

Thank You

Patrick

mini.gif

Not the biggest or most interesting question I suppose, but what's up with the American military's seeming obsession of calling pilots "drivers"?

The same reason pilots do anything, obviously: because it sounds cool.

Duh. :smilewink: