DCS FC3 Questions & Answers Thread

Milene

F-15 altimeter

Is it possible to separate or distinguish between the Baro and RDR alt. in the F-15. Or might that happen in the new AFM.

My Specs. below

ASUS TUF Z390 Pro Gaming

I5 9600K@4.5 Ghz.

32 Gb. G. Skill Rip Jaw V DDR4 @ 3200

MSI Gaming 1070 TI

Samsung 970 EVO+ NVME Pcie 500GB

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD

OCZ 120GB vertex 2 SSD

Win10 64 Pro

TM Warthog

TM Cougar

Samsuny Odyssey +

CH Pro Pedals

ASUS 32" 2560X1440 Main

Samsung 23" LED/LCD 1920X1080

Corsair TX 850W

Corsair H100i GTX

HAF 932

I can't install Lock on because apparently my DCS world is too up to date. The message tells me to download a newer version of the lock on client, but the ones on the download page are all old. Where can I get this new lock on version?

Lock on is a separate standalone game. FC3 is what installs into dcs world.

Always remember. I don't have a clue what I'm doing

I can't install Lock on because apparently my DCS world is too up to date. The message tells me to download a newer version of the lock on client, but the ones on the download page are all old. Where can I get this new lock on version?

Your installation of LockOn doesn't in any way interfere with the presence of DCS World. LockOn was developed in a time where DCS World didn't even exist. The LockOn installer doesn't have any awareness what DCS World is nor whether it is installed.

I am, unlike the previous two posters, going to guess that you mean Flaming Cliffs 3 (since LockOn would not give you that error message).

You can either use the module manager or reinstall DCS World and DO NOT let it run or update before installing Flaming Cliffs.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

• 4 weeks later...

I set up a few 1 vs 1 scenarios against an AI. When playing as a F-15C vs a Su-27 everything went as expected, but when I switched to playing the Su-27, I rarely ever got missile warnings from the enemy F-15C. Is this working as intended? I studied the track-files in TacView, and indeed the enemy was firing missiles at me.

Usually didn't get any warnings at all. Sometimes I briefly got a launch warning, but it was usually from AIM-120B/Cs that was defeated and passed me.

Can anyone enlighten me on this?

I also have another question. Sometimes I feel that the R-37ER lose track, even if I always got my radar locked on the enemy. Am I missing something here? Sometimes they even lose track shortly after being fired. They turn, and suddenly they just fly straight ahead until they run out of energy.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The R-27ER is very vulnerable to chaff right now—there's a thread around somewhere that says it'll only track a non-maneuvering, chaffing target about a quarter of the time. I think that's obvious bunk, and I hope it'll be fixed soon.

The AIM-120 and F-15 is working as intended. You don't get a launch warning when an AIM-120 is launched at you, because it's an active missile instead of semi-active, and the launch platform therefore doesn't need to use a missile guidance radar mode.

Black Shark, Harrier, and Hornet pilot

Many Words - Serial Fiction | Ka-50 Employment Guide | Ka-50 Avionics Cheat Sheet | Multiplayer Shooting Range Mission

I see.

I always thought the AIM-120 used the F-15Cs radar until it were close enough to track with its own radar (Pitbull?)

Correct!

However this all depends on what 'mode' the Aim120 is fired in.

If you fire at a bandit in STT (Single Target Track) he WILL get a launch warning as soon as you fire at him (regardless of range)

If you fire at a bandit in TWS (Track While Scan) he will NOT get a launch warning! Instead he will only get a missile warning when the 120 goes active.

Flying a F-15 you should try to make all your shots in TWS it will increase your PK and gives you better SA while engaging multiple bandits!

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

104th Phoenix Wing Commander / Total Poser / Elitist / Hero / Chad

You're never shooting in TWS mode in the Su-27.

The SNP mode is a surveillance/SA mode. Notice that when you lock a target from SNP it is always STT. You cannot launch or guide an R-27R without STT.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

The trick with IRST is not being seen to begin with ... and that's about all the tricks there are :D

IRST is very sensitive to the target's engine power. It will get you a target at barely more than 20km (IIRC, someone correct me if I'm wrong) that is head-on and not using afterburner. Missile seekers lock on at less than this distance (the IRST sensor is larger). So as you can see, IRST is not for head-on competitions against radar-toting foes. It's all about the ambush. But, it can help you track enemies who try to notch the radar, if you're close enough to them.

The rest is very specific tactics related to defeating radar guided missiles, and when exactly to use your missiles and which ones.

For example if you get close to a bandit and he doesn't see you or you're about to pull into a notch or something - an ET might be appropriate.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

• 2 weeks later...

It's been long time since I last got here.. so pardon my very noobish questions..

Just confirming... So DCS World is a free software? (perhaps a free simulator of the Su-25T..) and that the Modules we have here like P-51, FC3, etc.. are the ones for sale right?

...with this kind of development, Eagle Dynamics won't be selling any boxed versions of their software anymore? and that the only way to obtain a DCS Module is through the online shop?

What would happen.. say I bought FC3 Module then I lost my PC for some reasons.. The software I paid for is lost forever and that I need to "Re-buy" again?

Sorry for these noob queries, I'm just a monkey from a Third World Country.. ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Just confirming... So DCS World is a free software?

Yes.

...with this kind of development, Eagle Dynamics won't be selling any boxed versions of their software anymore? and that the only way to obtain a DCS Module is through the online shop?

PPL tend to "box" their download and make CD covers and all themself. There are plenty of cover pictures around.

What would happen.. say I bought FC3 Module then I lost my PC for some reasons.. The software I paid for is lost forever and that I need to "Re-buy" again?

No you do not need to rebuy, the license is working anyhow.

Sorry for these noob queries, I'm just a monkey from a Third World Country.. ;)

No need to be sorry m8 :)

You can download any of the modules without buying them, IIRC, but you cannot play them without a purchased key.

I noticed that FC3 has both a free download and a purchase link. I'm not sure as to what's going on here.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well, it seems like playing with a keyboard is not ergonomic to say the least. I'm considering a joystick, but I'm on a tight budget. Will a basic Logitech 3D Pro be a good upgrade?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00009OY9U

Any joystick will be a "good upgrade" from a keyboard.

At $30 it's cheap, decent enough and it's not the end of the world if it breaks after a year or two. Doesn't hold a candle to a high end stick in terms of configurability and build quality, but it doesn't cost $300+.....

Per Ardua Ad Aquarium :drink:

Specs: Intel i7-9700K, GTX 2080TI, 32GB DDR4, ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E, Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M.2

Well, it seems like playing with a keyboard is not ergonomic to say the least. I'm considering a joystick, but I'm on a tight budget. Will a basic Logitech 3D Pro be a good upgrade?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00009OY9U

I still use a Microsoft Precision Pro which is a 10 year old joystick. It serves me fine for Flaming Cliffs. I'll have to upgrade for sure when I start getting into A-10C though.

-HiJack: I see, thanks for answering my questions ^^

==

So, judging from the posts here, It's seems that everyone can download any DCS Module and what people are actually paying for are activation keys?

I'll honestly say, that I'm still uncomfortable with online/digital purchase and have never tried it before... I'd rather buy something that is tangible like a boxed version of a PC Game or so... don't care how long the shipping would take... as long as i can touch the item I wanted.

I guess this is the end of Lock On for me...

Unless I could convince the people in our house to let my use my Visa Card to buy activation keys for DCS Modules.. which is unlikely..

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]