SOS: Save our Smoke!

ENO

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im thinking about rolling back, to the earlier 1.2.3, making a copy of the /effects/ folder.

Then re-patching back up to the new version of 1.2.3, renaming the effects folder and copying the old one.

Or just waiting for 1.2.4 and the magic fix it has...

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Im thinking about rolling back, to the earlier 1.2.3, making a copy of the /effects/ folder.

Then re-patching back up to the new version of 1.2.3, renaming the effects folder and copying the old one.

Or just waiting for 1.2.4 and the magic fix it has...

How does one go about rolling back to a prior version?

To do this, click the Windows "Start" button. In the text field that says "Start Search", paste in this:

C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\bin\DCS_updater.exe update 1.2.3.XXXX

The auto-updater will now "downgrade" you to the previous version of DCS.

XXXX is which version you want to downgrade to- if you wanted to go as far back as 1.2.2 I think you could, provided you had the proper version loaded. 7570 would definitely not be a suggestion- if you play MP.

"ENO"

Type in anger and you will make the greatest post you will ever regret.

"Sweetest's" Military Aviation Art

could of been a nice temporary fix if it had done what i wanted it to :(

If I had a dollar for every time I said that while trying to sort some of this stuff out-

Anyway, WIP I know... love the sim so I hope the boys who can make changes keep plugging away at it.

"ENO"

yeah the current smoke effects with the last update to 123 make the game really less enjoyable....from a steady ~40 it slows my game down to single digit fps if only one plane crashed.....certainly there is a big need for a quick fix for this...prior to 124 please....it worked ok with the first version of 123.

To do this, click the Windows "Start" button. In the text field that says "Start Search", paste in this:

C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\bin\DCS_updater.exe update 1.2.3.XXXX

The auto-updater will now "downgrade" you to the previous version of DCS.

XXXX is which version you want to downgrade to- if you wanted to go as far back as 1.2.2 I think you could, provided you had the proper version loaded. 7570 would definitely not be a suggestion- if you play MP.

mh ok this could be a fix for me....has anybody an idea what numbers the first 123 version had??1.2.3.?????

Don't kill or get killed :P

...in a combat sim. :cry:

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

In C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Bazar\ParticleEffects\effects

Are the files that I've thought are particle settings.

When you open those files - it's pretty much obvious what are parameters in there.

But - you need to know what those specific numbers represent.

So - you open the "readme" file that is on a same location.

You get a file full of:

Emitters =

{--ѯ豮ê*½ì¨²â¥°î¢¬ â*¤à**î¬*᫳ç*¥ á**è¥*2å*®ã*¥é*¨ 们͊ {

Name = "Fire1", --è¤¥í²¨ä¨ªà²®à*½ì¨²â¥°à¬*í³¦å**â*«î¤*å�Š Texture = "DCSFireTex.png", --⥪Ჳà*¬ â±¥ ⥪Ჳà»*䮫æ*» å°*í¨²á¿*â*®\Bazar\ParticleEffects\textures

So, I've tried to change encoding of the text in Notepad++ but nothing helps.

It would be nice if ED - since it decided to provide the ReadMe, provide us with usable and readable ReadMe...

So we can see what number represents what and tweak settings for ourselves, depending on our PC configs.

mh ok this could be a fix for me....has anybody an idea what numbers the first 123 version had??1.2.3.?????

I'd like to roll back to 1.1.1.1 at this point :helpsmilie:

Anyone else make any headway with this issue? Doesn't look like any practical fixes that we used to be able to use are working... Granted, in this scenario we had many, many, many vehicles involved that resulted in single digit... but even cutting frames down from 90+ into the 20s isn't exactly what we're hoping for...

I hesitate to even pull the trigger anymore because I know it's going to bring someone with a 3000 dollar computer to his knees every time.

"ENO"

I tried your mission file and had no performance hit from the smoke itself. It was mostly tied to the numbers of objects in the scene in my case.

Will continue to do some testing and see if I find anything.

Found something, not big atm but it's something.

Enabled Vsync and monitored my GPU usage during the mission. At start my GPU usage was about 50%.

After a while as the smoke started filling the screen, the GPU usage went up to almost 100%.

Very noticeable when the houses starts going up in smoke.

This is on a Titan btw.

• Like 1

I just found something that may be of interest, unless someone else already knows this.

I was flying the GAU-8/Rockets training mission today and decided to destroy everything I possibly could. No matter how many smoke plumes I had, my framerates were still good. That is until I destroyed one specific vehicle, which was one of the three vehicles circling the range. I believe it was a fuel truck, but I will have to record a track next time to confirm. It wasn't until I killed this "fuel truck" or whatever it was that my framerates went to crap.

To make things more interesting, I tried a smoke mod that was posted here a few days ago but I can't find the thread. Anyway, this mod completely eliminated any smoke whatsoever from destroyed vehicles. Except for that same "fuel truck" mentioned earlier. Despite the mod, this truck still smoked, and despite the fact that it was the only smoke plume in sight, my framerate still suffered.

Maybe there are more than one type of smoke effect and this particular one is causing the issue?

Very interesting... I have gone "fuel truck heavy" in some of my convoys because they added a little more zip to the attack and the secondaries.

Interesting because in my test mission I never put in fuel trucks. Going to have to try that out!

"ENO"

I hope so. I just tried again while recording a track and could not reproduce with the smoke mod: this time it eliminated all smoke 100%. However I too confirmed that the offending vehicles were fuel trucks from the debrief hit list.

From my observations the smoke bug manifests with

crashed A-10

destroyed civilian traffic (set the traffic to high and strafe a highway or a train = slideshow)

MSI GTX 770 2GB -> 1920x1200, MSI H97M, Xeon 1231v3, 16GB

In C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Bazar\ParticleEffects\effects

Are the files that I've thought are particle settings.

When you open those files - it's pretty much obvious what are parameters in there.

But - you need to know what those specific numbers represent.

So - you open the "readme" file that is on a same location.

You get a file full of:

Emitters =

{--ѯ豮ê*½ì¨²â¥°î¢¬ â*¤à**î¬*᫳ç*¥ á**è¥*2å*®ã*¥é*¨ 们͊ {

Name = "Fire1", --è¤¥í²¨ä¨ªà²®à*½ì¨²â¥°à¬*í³¦å**â*«î¤*å�Š Texture = "DCSFireTex.png", --⥪Ჳà*¬ â±¥ ⥪Ჳà»*䮫æ*» å°*í¨²á¿*â*®\Bazar\ParticleEffects\textures

So, I've tried to change encoding of the text in Notepad++ but nothing helps.

It would be nice if ED - since it decided to provide the ReadMe, provide us with usable and readable ReadMe...

So we can see what number represents what and tweak settings for ourselves, depending on our PC configs.

Assuming Notepad++...

Encoding/Character Sets/Cyrillic/Macintosh

Then of course Google Translate... :D

Emitters =

{--- LIST OF emitters, in this case the description of 2 lights and smoke

******** {

******** Name = "Fire1", - id emitter needed to lodah

******** Texture = "DCSFireTex.png", - the texture, the textures should hranits ¤ a. \ Bazar \ ParticleEffects \ textures

******** Technique = "AnimatedFire", - rendering technique (must be present in the shader effect)

******** - now implemented several techniques:

******** - Translucent - BASIC ¤ technique supports satin texture alfakanalom

******** - AnimatedFire - especially long AGN ¤ ¤, procedurally animated pixel shader AGN ¤

******** - TranslucentAnim - procedurally animated smoke shader + refreshment on normalmap, the texture

******** - TranslucentAnimLowLight - dl ¤ colored smoke, the difference with TranslucentAnim, only in the ratio of light otrazhЄnnogo

;)