SOS: Save our Smoke!

ENO

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Cichlidfan, if the Huey had a Bambi bucket, it would make it easy to collect all them Cichlid's you are so fanatical about, no Rift lake or S/Americans though ?

I have had lots of SAs but my Lake Cichlids were mostly Tanganyikan dwarfs species.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Same, only got rift lake at the moment, colony of blue headed Moori (aggressive shits) & Frontosa.

Very cool! :thumbup:

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Other Sims?

:megalol:

Seriously?

Let's maintain our professionalism and not go there. I agree, we all want smooth gameplay and we are working towards that.

Other Sims? Cm'on Gents.

Other sim + loads of smoke + simulated shockwave (and I mean physical effect, not just damage) + flythrough + seriously (+ then still beta-phase).

No or extremely low FPS-loss.

;)

Hoping for the next patch to fix the smoke.

Edited by Feuerfalke
  • Like 1

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD

Other sim + loads of smoke + simulated shockwave (and I mean physical effect, not just damage) + flythrough + seriously (+ then still beta-phase).

;)

might help more if a FPS counter was shown...

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"

might help more if a FPS counter was shown...

Fly it, you will see for yourself.

;)

yep, these guys are really good, can't wait for battle of stalingrad

• 3 weeks later...

After 1.2.4 my overall framerates seem to have improved a bit, and smoke and some explosions don't bother me much. HOWEVER:

-CBU-97s still result in a slideshow when striking a target.

-30mm impacts slow me down to the low-mid 20s

-destroying a single static Mi-8 with a GBU-12 and the resulting smoke instantly brought my system to 14 fps.

• 3 weeks later...
Ok, maybe I should rephrase that: in another sim. Singular. Since there are (apparently) only two high-fidelity sims in existence, one of which is DCS. The only other plausible explanation given that truth is that perhaps there is some other graphical feature in DCS that, when combined with smoke, overloads the system while the other sim does not have this graphical feature and thus the smoke doesn't have any effect.

And by the way, I am being very professional by acknowledging the fact that there is (are) another sim(s) out there instead of being biased against everything that isn't DCS ;)

Nealius, I've been reading most of this thread and i've been trying lots of stuff over the years to make the sim more stable FPS wise when objects starts to do stuff. I can't believe the arguments coming from the ED testers (sorry i say what i mean no fooling around). It is obvious that the guys which actuallly DO the programming of this engine could have given a brief explaination on WHY the sim have these problems and more importantly can something drastically FPS wise be done without lowering the number of objects in the sim. The graphics engine or the interaction between the CPU and GPU work it not a success, end of story. I have a mid to low spec PC (HD 5850/I7 920 OC/ 6GB RAM) and i can usually run 1920x1080x32 and most all at MAX except shadows on low and meduim visual range which is the major impacts on the sim to get general flying around smooth and stutterfree. Thats just in general. The main issue of couse is the extreme FPS drops when ANY kind of smoke explosion etc. occur. You can do another totally different test than these done in this tread. Start FRAPS, start sim and have Civill traffic even on LOW. go to F11 view lets say at Batumi airport. . If you scan slowly horisontally stepwise around with the arrow keys, you will see that you can have 45 FPS stable for a while and then just in one step with the key have 32 FPS stable back and fourth at this point. Why is this happening even WITHOUT smoke and exlosions Yes i know Civil traffic is not good FPS wise but this happens with maybe TWO!! trucks on the road in the area????? They've built the damn big town structures into more or less one file so we can't even drop spesific buildings to make it better...Grrr...What I'm saying is that:

THE ONLY WAY TO MAKE THIS SIM PERFORM BETTER THE WAY ITS DESIGNED NOW IS TO LOWER THE AMOUNT OF OBJECTS BEING SHOWN AND CALCULATED!

Ok one reason the sim is so slow compared to the "ANOTHER SIM" could be that this sim have more target objects. One thing for sure is that the way objects are drawn and handled in this sim is way out there.

The point is, FPS drops like this which is happening suddenly is a total NONO in a sim like this. The sim is meant for smoke and explosions dammit.

Ok got a bit angry here, but getting the MAJOR problem away from the sim now is only done by reducing the object count and hopefully get rid of some effects. Thats what i've done and thats simple and fast and lets me run above 30 FPS even at top resolution and almost all at max. Let me have less objects but whats there at least runs better.

System spec:

Intel Core i7 920@4.2Ghz (stable, 65degC fully loaded), EVGA GTX-780, Asus P6T Deluxe V2 v.5.04 BIOS, Saitek X52, 1TB/500GB WD HD for system/storage. Kingston SSD 120 GB for DCS, 250GB Samsung 840 SSD for the rest. 16GB Kingston KHX1600C9D3 Memory, 9 GB Pagefile, EK HFX-240 Watercooling, Corsair HX-1000 PSU. HAF-932 Tower, TrackIR-5, Win64Ult

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thats what i've done and thats simple and fast

Care to explain in detail what you've done so that we can apply those tweaks as well?

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

Care to explain in detail what you've done so that we can apply those tweaks as well?

What i've done is to map away (rename) stuff in the following folders which i think i can do without:

X:\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Bazar\Terrain\Structures\High\EDM

X:\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Bazar\Terrain\Structures\blocks\new2

Also when it comes to explosion problems i think just think there is something going on in the following file and closely related as i do get response by changing values there, but you need to be a expert in geometrics and 3D directX programming to know what u do in there and am not.

X:\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Bazar\shaders\expl\boom_ffx.fx

Also stuff in the hlsl files which have directly with DirectX is interresting

X:\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Bazar\shaders

The above is just as a emergency things to try and get the explosions less complex to calculate. They are the death of this sim. They are straight on unusable in my opinion. The smoke isn't the problem most often its the initial explosion creation. I've also think i've ruled out the soundsystem as a problem as i did some tests on that.

Btw. anyone seeing any difference on DirectX 9.0c vs 11?

System spec:

Intel Core i7 920@4.2Ghz (stable, 65degC fully loaded), EVGA GTX-780, Asus P6T Deluxe V2 v.5.04 BIOS, Saitek X52, 1TB/500GB WD HD for system/storage. Kingston SSD 120 GB for DCS, 250GB Samsung 840 SSD for the rest. 16GB Kingston KHX1600C9D3 Memory, 9 GB Pagefile, EK HFX-240 Watercooling, Corsair HX-1000 PSU. HAF-932 Tower, TrackIR-5, Win64Ult

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]