F-18 grip, WARTHOG compatible

The grips will come after these gimbals and ir tracking unit. Money from these sales will help me make grips much quicker, therefore cheaper and more time for me to bring other products to market too.

Hey Hegykc,

Can the gimbals be used as a standalone without the extensions on TMWH?

All the pictures show them fitted to Warthog with extensions.

Sent from my A210 using Tapatalk

Check Six!!!_:gun_sniper:_:pilotfly:

||R7-2700X||ASUS ROG STRIX-X470F Gaming||GSKILL-TridentZRGB 16GBDDR4 3200C14||CORSAIR RM 1000X||SAPPHIRE RX 7900 XTX 24GB OC||WARTHOG HOTAS||:gun_smilie:

Actually yes, i do have a design for a stock warthog without an extension and that's where you'll get the most improvement because for me at least, the original gimbal without and extension makes the warthog unusable, with it's hard center detent and stiction.

Edited by hegykc

Actually yes, i do have a design for a stock warthog without an extension and that's where you'll get the most improvement because for me at least, the original gimbal makes the warthog unusable, with it's hard center detent and stiction.

I'll be very, very interested in this.

Just an open question: how do you think Hegykc's spring system compares to the VKB camme gimbal, in terms of accuracy and feel?

I would think that the VKB gimbal, having separate axis for pitch and roll, should be more precise.

Do you think with Hegykc's system you can isolate the pitch movement from the roll?

Just a question, I know these products have completely different price point, but tbh, I'd much rather buy Hegykc's addon springs, than a whole new stick.

Windows 10 - Intel i7 7700K 4.2 Ghz (no OC) - Asus Strix GTX 1080 8Gb - 16GB DDR4 (3000 MHz) - SSD 500GB + WD Black FZEX 1TB 6Gb/s

I'll be very, very interested in this.

Just an open question: how do you think Hegykc's spring system compares to the VKB camme gimbal, in terms of accuracy and feel?

I would think that the VKB gimbal, having separate axis for pitch and roll, should be more precise.

Do you think with Hegykc's system you can isolate the pitch movement from the roll?

Just a question, I know these products have completely different price point, but tbh, I'd much rather buy Hegykc's addon springs, than a whole new stick.

This only improves the Warthog, eliminating the ridiculous center detent and reducing stiction. There is axis separation but not all the way. The no-extension design will be the cheapest option, so for around $30 I think it will be a great value improvement.

Just waiting for the launch man ... do it soon ...:thumbup:

Check Six!!!_:gun_sniper:_:pilotfly:

||R7-2700X||ASUS ROG STRIX-X470F Gaming||GSKILL-TridentZRGB 16GBDDR4 3200C14||CORSAIR RM 1000X||SAPPHIRE RX 7900 XTX 24GB OC||WARTHOG HOTAS||:gun_smilie:

Just waiting for the launch man ... do it soon ...:thumbup:

+1

And DO produce all the other drool-worthy stuff that you showed in other posts.

I'm especially looking forward to new stick and throttle grips :joystick::joystick:

Windows 10 - Intel i7 7700K 4.2 Ghz (no OC) - Asus Strix GTX 1080 8Gb - 16GB DDR4 (3000 MHz) - SSD 500GB + WD Black FZEX 1TB 6Gb/s

Hegykc sorry if I'm asking too much but I think my question got lost in the previous posts,

Where are your own bases in your plans currently? I need to know because if they are way after the replacement grips ill just get the warthog and upgrade it with your stuff.

GeForce GTX 970, i5 4690K 3.5 GHz, 8 GB ram, Win 10, 1080p

This only improves the Warthog, eliminating the ridiculous center detent and reducing stiction. There is axis separation but not all the way. The no-extension design will be the cheapest option, so for around $30 I think it will be a great value improvement.

Will the no extension version also have a different normal and pro version?

My system:

Intel Core i7 4770K@3.5Ghz, 16Gb Crucial 1600mhz DDR3, MSI GTX660 Gaming, Scythe Mugen 4, Samung 850 EVO 500GB, Fractal Design Define R4, WD Green 2TB, Windows 10

TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Flight Cessna Rudders

DCS:

A10C, UH-1, F15C

"When everything seem to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it..."

Henry Ford

Hegykc sorry if I'm asking too much but I think my question got lost in the previous posts,

Where are your own bases in your plans currently? I need to know because if they are way after the replacement grips ill just get the warthog and upgrade it with your stuff.

I would say definitely get the warthog and upgrade later if you can afford.

Will the no extension version also have a different normal and pro version?

No, just normal with regular springs. There is just no room for shocks when there's no extension, and they wouldn't provide much of an effect on such a small lever anyway. It still provides you with basically a new joystick. When that hard center and the ridiculous original spring mechanism is removed it's really something, smooth as butter!

Edited by hegykc

*this has 'nothing' to do with warthog replacement grips, but I'll open a gimbal dedicated thread when I get the final version of the product, and leave it in here for now

This is an almost final, but very roughly assembled prototype, basic and pro version, everything is functional but nothing is aligned yet. Shock dampers are skewed because they're missing correct length spacers, bolts are not correct length, colors are wrong etc. But this is the design. Warthog spring is removed in 2min with no modifications, it comes out by itself when you unscrew the top 8 bolts deactivating the original gimbal completely, and this is bolted on your extension in another 5min. I have also a design for stock Warthog without an extension. Everything will be anodized aluminum with some really sick color options.

This completely eliminates the ridiculous hard center detent and overpowers the sticktion problem. I am making tweaks daily. They should be for sale by the next month which would be August. I am hoping for 30 - 75 dollar price mark, depending on the version you need. Usually I would go for sub 30 dollars tops, but this is my very own kickstarter. You buy this, you get on the Replika Simulation Gear founders list. This and a couple of other simple products is going to fuel the development of everything else. The pro version with shocks has replacable springs for different forces, replacable shock oil and piston rings for different damping effects, adjustable spring pre-tension, and the whole unit has adjustable height. So you can have different strength force and damping on pitch up, pitch down, and roll, just like in a real aircraft.

I wouldn't even show this mess, but you asked for it :) In a week or two I'll have the final version with some really bad-ass color options and all the matching components.

3_zpsiykzzywe.jpg~original

Save

I know it's nitpicking, but isn't this (as far as I understand) actually a spring replacement, not a gimbal replacement? If I understand this correctly, we have to remove the big spring from the base of Warthog, reassemble the base, and then mount the new spring (and / or damper) system on top - but the actual gimbal in the base remains "stock" and is still in use as a pivot point for the stick?

I can see the removal of the spring could eliminate the force on the ball joint, so no more stiction, and new spring / damper system can be much better regarding center detent and axis bleeding.

And I'm actually relieved this will keep the stock electronics, stock sensor and stick remains as it is in Windows.

I'm interested. Have you considered cloth or rubber covers for spring system? Right now it looks a bit Rube Goldberg...:smilewink: Might be better in all black, I guess...

• Like 1

I know it's nitpicking, but isn't this (as far as I understand) actually a spring replacement, not a gimbal replacement? If I understand this correctly, we have to remove the big spring from the base of Warthog, reassemble the base, and then mount the new spring (and / or damper) system on top - but the actual gimbal in the base remains "stock" and is still in use as a pivot point for the stick?

I was kind of thinking the same thing, I was thinking something different as far as gimbal replacement. I wonder how much difference would be with this versus just of the extensions that are currently available? For instance I am flying a 7.5cm extensions with my Warthog, and even it alleviates some of the stiction that was present with the stock setup. Perhaps this would eliminate all of it?

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

You have a point, but to be fair this completely changes the hart/soul of the mechanism, so to speak. A completely different way it functions, although it has the same mount and pivot point.

It would be like putting a Ferrari engine and chassis in a old beat up 2 cylinder car and saying, "yeah but the engine mounts are still the same". Sure, but it is a major improvement. Not only improvement but a change that completely changes the way it works, so I stuck with gimbal replacement.

P.S. Not that this is a Ferrari or anything :) just making a point.

Edited by hegykc

I'd be interested in that dampening system for my VKB Mamba MkIII with extension... In theory, this should work as well, looking at the setup posted above.

Here's my stick - could this be attached as well? Would love to have a more "solid" center for my Mamba when using my extension with it.

attachment.php?attachmentid=141551&d=1464709637

Edited by rrohde

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

I'd be interested in that dampening system for my VKB Mamba MkIII with extension... In theory, this should work as well, looking at the setup posted above.

Here's my stick - could this be attached as well? Would love to have a more "solid" center for my Mamba when using my extension with it.

Yes. I'll be ordering one to see the bolt placements. Or you can measure it, warthog has 8 bolts in a 72mm diameter. Also what is the extension thickness?

No, just normal with regular springs. There is just no room for shocks when there's no extension, and they wouldn't provide much of an effect on such a small lever anyway. It still provides you with basically a new joystick. When that hard center and the ridiculous original spring mechanism is removed it's really something, smooth as butter!

Thx, will be looking into an extension then (and figure out a way to mount the stick at a lower height, using an extension on top of a desk is not comfortable I think).

My system:

Intel Core i7 4770K@3.5Ghz, 16Gb Crucial 1600mhz DDR3, MSI GTX660 Gaming, Scythe Mugen 4, Samung 850 EVO 500GB, Fractal Design Define R4, WD Green 2TB, Windows 10

DCS:

A10C, UH-1, F15C

"When everything seem to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it..."

Henry Ford

I will also offer cheap mounts, just waiting on the parts to arrive so I can take pictures.

That would be very nice!

My system:

DCS:

A10C, UH-1, F15C

Henry Ford

Yes. I'll be ordering one to see the bolt placements. Or you can measure it, warthog has 8 bolts in a 72mm diameter. Also what is the extension thickness?

I'll see if I can come up with some useful measurements for you! Thanks. :thumbup:

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Great! Definitely interested in EVERYTHING offered here!

One question regarding the gimbal/spring modifications to the TMWH ... will this resolve the axis-blending problem? I can see how it might improve the separation of the x/y axes by making tension on each axis independent of each other, but the articulation remains a ball-and-socket, which means that the movement is still constrained to a motion that mixes pitch and roll. Is that right?

I will also offer cheap mounts, just waiting on the parts to arrive so I can take pictures.

Wow! Could you clarify a little? I was thinking of buying some desk mounts to make the warthog with extension more realistic, but wasn't sure if it would be the right height/depth. I might hold off to get yours if they are more adjustable.

GeForce GTX 970, i5 4690K 3.5 GHz, 8 GB ram, Win 10, 1080p