DCS World Updater....driving me nuts!

mdmasters

Twice now I have tried to update DCS World from 1.2.2 to whatever version the auto updater is trying to install. The "verifying files" thing works, and then it begins to SLOWLY download the update. The update takes several hours to download (most of the time the download is just stalled without actually moving any data), and so I go away, and when I come back several hours later, I have an error message that says:

"Can't apply update. The operation has been canceled by the user."

Of course the operation was NOT canceled by anyone. A few days later I tried a second time, and again, after hours of excruciatingly slow downloading, I found the same error message on my screen.

Can someone tell me what the heck is going on here, and how do I get this thing to work? This is the worst auto updater I have ever used.

I tried searching this forum, but the search tool is awful.

Tried downloading the latest if all else fails..

Well at least one person responded with a credible answer, and I thank you for that. Yes I did download the entire new version of DCS World, and upon installation I got an error message stating something to the effect that I couldn't install a newer version over an older version. So I'm trying to avoid a complete uninstall reinstall with all of the modules that I have, but it is looking less likely. I do not have a screen blanker or anything like that running.

To the other losers who's feelings I hurt by being critical of something that works poorly, well, I guess I should apologize. What was I thinking. This is the smoothest update process that I have ever seen. I'm happy to waste hours and hours time working through broken software. Gosh, I have nothing else to do because apparently when one encounters a problem with broken software, it means that he is not getting laid.

The world is full of retards.

Unfortunately as forums get larger and people start getting high post counts they start to think it's alright to be an asshole to new members just asking questions. Truth is, most forum search tools are terrible and are put in a place that draws no attention to them on the page. Google is actually a better search tool than the one that the forum has.

To answer your question, many people had similar issues when updating from 1.2.2 to 1.2.3. I'm not sure if the updater is broken or what, but when I updated, I had to do a full reinstall. It's time consuming, but it doesn't actually remove your control settings or anything, so it should be relatively painless to get yourself all set up again.

This process shouldn't take up an activation of your modules, but it has done so in the past. If you are concerned about this (they do come back after a certain period of time), make sure to deactivate your modules first by following the instructions in THIS THREAD.

Edited by YeaImRota
  • Like 2

http://www.reddit.com/r/hoggit

Hoggit 1st Fighter Wing

Weekly training missions on Tuesday nights, missions on Saturdays!

TS3: hoggit.us

@ YeaImRotota... "Unfortunately as forums get larger and people start getting high post counts they start to think it's alright to be an #$$&>*! to new members just asking questions. Truth is, most forum search tools are terrible"

@mdmasters..."To the other losers who's feelings I hurt by being critical of something that works poorly"

Actually, its the other way 'round (on all points)...

(there seems to be a pattern amongst the newer members of 12 months or so... or is it just me?)

For most (actually, nearly everybody) the updater and forum search function works quite fine.

What helps... is to post up system specs and also to look your at your own particular system; ie is something running in the background, what is running at the same time as updating/ downloading. Bear in mind also, with a new release, there would be a lot of flyers all attempting to download at the same time... in this case the servers are (naturally) limited

Edited by Wolf Rider

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"

Unfortunately as forums get larger and people start getting high post counts they start to think it's alright to be an asshole to new members just asking questions.

How about members that come and act like ED is their parents who must grant all the kid's wishes? You think that it's OK, even if THAT is the actual trigger for people getting a natural wish to answer to malice with malice?

Personally, I am sick of people who spit on work of ED, or anybody else, and even me IRL, and they don't even have a proof that they can make even a calculation in Microsoft Excel. And I know I am not alone in that.

I mean... This guy made the thread with :bomb: attitude. What'd you expect? Help?

Imagine a guy slamming open a door of a bar and entering with his attitude from the first post. He would make it 5 seconds before he'd get hit with a bar stool.

Now, if someone makes a harsh joke as a result of his misbehaviour, it is just a natural reaction. :)

• Like 1

Some of the replies here astonish me. Someone complains that the update service is poor and he gets slated for it. I am sitting here waiting for the update download to finish at 0.5KB/s. Its my third attempt. I also tried a direct download with similar results and a predicted 3 day download time. It's ridiculous. "Parents"? "Kid's wishes"? This is business not some family spat.

The fact is that this update process is pathetic. Download the whole thing and re-install? Are you mad? Why should I need to do that and why would that download be any faster? ED need to sort out their update server. And no, my BB isn't playing up, I have over 60Mb download speed tested just a few moments ago.

Oh, wait a minute it just kicked up to 1.3KB/S. Only a couple of days to go.

klem

56 RAF 'Firebirds'

ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F mobo, i7 8086A @ 5.0 GHz with Corsair H115i watercooling, Gigabyte 2080Ti GAMING OC 11Gb GPU , 32Gb DDR4 RAM, 500Gb and 256Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s + 2TB , Pimax 8k Plus VR, TM Warthog Throttle, TM F18 Grip on Virpil WarBRD base, Windows 10 Home 64bit

This process shouldn't take up an activation of your modules, but it has done so in the past. If you are concerned about this (they do come back after a certain period of time), make sure to deactivate your modules first.....

No, do not do that - a useless waste of a deactivation that you might very well need further down the line. Complete uninstall and reinstall NEVER utilises an activation. In the one instance it did due to a glitch, the activation was refunded to all. It has never happened since and this was a good while ago.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Klem, take into consideration that ED with limited resources made something that none of the rich companies in gaming did not. Yeah, it would be downloading like a charm if it was made by some multi-milion company. Right...

Also, take into consideration that anyone who does not understand what is "server overload" and blames the provider for it is considered as a bad customer, and a unfair one.

If you look at it more carefully, any ED product with DCS level of details should cost minimum 100$ when compared to games that don't include advanced physics (let's say shooter games) and many other thinfs. And those games are always the same with every next title, they just use new hardware capabilities to make better "eye candy". Dumb and meaningless "fun".

With the limited resources they have - they've made something nobody else did or could or wanted (ED). And all of that in the same time while they are fighting a legal problems because there are some selfish people who weren't capable of taking it into this level.

And nobody has the right to be ungrateful to blame on ED that servers got overloaded and for their own impatience. They pulled of a miracle, gave it to us for a reasonable price (and consider the bunch of promotional periods with lower prices) and if people just have a bit more understanding and patience, instead of acting like little b*tches, this WILL be a fantastic thing in a year or two. It is even now, but the potential is even greater.

Edited by Kameni

Klem, take into consideration that ED with limited resources made something that none of the rich companies in gaming did not. Yeah, it would be downloading like a charm if it was made by some multi-milion company. Right...

Also, take into consideration that anyone who does not understand what is "server overload" and blames the provider for it is considered as a bad customer, and a unfair one.

If you look at it more carefully, any ED product with DCS level of details should cost minimum 100$ when compared to games that don't include advanced physics (let's say shooter games) and many other thinfs. And those games are always the same with every next title, they just use new hardware capabilities to make better "eye candy". Dumb and meaningless "fun".

With the limited resources they have - they've made something nobody else did or could or wanted (ED). And all of that in the same time while they are fighting a legal problems because there are some selfish people who weren't capable of taking it into this level.

And nobody has the right to be ungrateful to blame on ED that servers got overloaded and for their own impatience. They pulled of a miracle, gave it to us for a reasonable price (and consider the bunch of promotional periods with lower prices) and if people just have a bit more understanding and patience, instead of acting like little b*tches, this WILL be a fantastic thing in a year or two. It is even now, but the potential is even greater.

Kameni,

Let me start by saying I have every respect for DCSW and respect for the abilities of the company that produced it. My irritation is that, given their customer base, their server seems to be inadequate. 0.5KB/s? 20-30KB/s for a couple of days? Are they serious? Have they no mirror sites? Who says that nobody has the right to blame ED for their server capability? And how am I "ungrateful"? Do I owe them some great favour?

Let me say it again, my disappointment is with their server not the company in general which has produced a good sim. On the other hand......

I know nothing about ED's business or whether they are rich or living on the edge. I simply responded to their advertising, downloaded their sim and bought their add-ons. Incidentally I saw somewhere there have been over a million downloads? So I imagine their business, with the add-ons, is going along just fine. They present themselves professionally (in all other matters) which entitles me to think they are on top of their game.

As for "should cost a minimum $100" I have literally a dozen flight simulators on my shelf gathered over the years and each one released when they were cutting edge. I have one or two that are every bit as good as DCS. Most of them contained many different aircraft and none of them cost more than $50. On the other hand I have a freely downloaded DCS but every single aircraft I want will cost me $40 or so (which I am actually happy to go along with) so ED will get there "minimum $100" out of me in the long run if they continue to create good aircraft.

Are you an appointed spokesman for ED? Do you think for some reason you have the right to declare who is a bad or unfair customer? Would ED even agree with you?

What do I know about "fighting legal problems", past "selfish people" and "pulling off a miracle"? I am simply being what they want me to be, a Customer. You on the other hand are clearly emotionally involved with the history and seem to think every ED Customer should carry the same cross.

As for calling us "b*tches", watch your mouth. You are presumptuous and arrogant to think you have the right to tell me who I am, whether or not I have the right to complain and what I must accept from my supplier.

klem

56 RAF 'Firebirds'

ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F mobo, i7 8086A @ 5.0 GHz with Corsair H115i watercooling, Gigabyte 2080Ti GAMING OC 11Gb GPU , 32Gb DDR4 RAM, 500Gb and 256Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s + 2TB , Pimax 8k Plus VR, TM Warthog Throttle, TM F18 Grip on Virpil WarBRD base, Windows 10 Home 64bit

Every company has frequent server overload problems.

Neither you, nor anyone else can call them names for ONE situation where it failed.

If you want to put name tags on someone, then consider all the good things they did.

And yes I am a spokesman - but not for ED, but for common sense.

And on the subject that made this arise:

Nobody that comes with attitude "nothing works, everything is crap" don't deserve help until he learns to be civilised.

P.S. Do I have the right? Yes - I have the right to give my opinion. At least it is not hateful to hard-working people.

Only a spoiled person demands perfection. I rest my case.

Every company has frequent server overload problems.

Neither you, nor anyone else can call them names for ONE situation where it failed.

If you want to put name tags on someone, then consider all the good things they did.

And yes I am a spokesman - but not for ED, but for common sense.

And on the subject that made this arise:

Nobody that comes with attitude "nothing works, everything is crap" don't deserve help until he learns to be civilised.

P.S. Do I have the right? Yes - I have the right to give my opinion. At least it is not hateful to hard-working people.

Only a spoiled person demands perfection. I rest my case.

Kameni, you need to read people's posts before you make assumptions, jump to conclusions and take it upon yourself to be the self-appointed White Knight of ED.

First of all I didn't call anyone names and I wouldn't need your permission to do so if I did. I did complain about ED's download service and for good reason.

I have not come with the attitude "nothing works, everything is crap" in fact if you bother to read my post again you'll see have respect for EDs product so don't invent reasons to pump yourself up.

To use your own simpering words I have not been "hateful to hard-working people", I have simply complained about their download service.

I did not demand perfection and you have no case to rest because it's none of your business. My complaint was with ED not you and that didn't take many words to express. In case you haven't noticed, most of my words have been a response to your self righteous presumption to speak for ED and I'm not going to waste any more time on you.

You need to read posts more carefully, show a little maturity and get over yourself.

klem

56 RAF 'Firebirds'

Are you expecting the same serverperformances like steam has? where much more ppl can download freshly released games on day one?

guess what; you cant. ED most certainly doesn't own that many servers like steam or blizzard does but unlike them, it's not their corebusiness to distribute games all day around the world or to run multiple servers crowded with thousend players simultaneously. So just draw a line, you don't know how many people downloaded the patch the same time you did...

Dear all, please mind your manners. If you can't voice your opinion with respect towards all other users, you will quickly find that this forum is not for you.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

Are you expecting the same serverperformances like steam has? where much more ppl can download freshly released games on day one?

guess what; you cant. ED most certainly doesn't own that many servers like steam or blizzard does but unlike them, it's not their corebusiness to distribute games all day around the world or to run multiple servers crowded with thousend players simultaneously. So just draw a line, you don't know how many people downloaded the patch the same time you did...

I understand that now and it quickly became clear early on in this thread but in my humble opinion it really isn't good enough to keep several thousand (?) customers hanging on a download service that, individually, is little better than the old 56k dial up service. It won't do their reputation any good. They need to add some temporary mirror sites and given the explained standing of the company it could be done with the help of community members who are in a position to do so, as happens in some other game forums. I know its not the end of the world and if things stay the same I'll just have to wait several days before trying to download in future but it's not good is it?

klem

56 RAF 'Firebirds'

But don't forget about the other options. If the Autoupdater is too slow you can still choose to download it from external mirrors or torrent.

Yes, I did those but both the direct d/l and Torrent were agonisingly slow. The Torrent told me there were only something like 1.5 seeds (I don't know how that is measured). Anyway the Torrent eventually got there first after many many hours so I cancelled the direct d/l which still had hours to go.

Unfortunately I then hit the problem others have reported, it won't install over a previous version and tells you to uninstall it. Now I am very PC savvy but bearing in mind many people aren't it leads on to questions for us all (and some may not even think about these): Will I lose all of my carefully set up controls for each different aircraft. Do I need to back them up? Where are they? Where should I keep them? Is there anything else I need to protect, after all Uninstall is Uninstall? So this is another update issue that ED might like to think about. Perhaps the uninstall process preserves config files, I never took it that far because that concern made me try the autoupdater again (about day 4 now) and this time it came down at about 150Kb/s so I let it run.

Unfortunately (again) the auto-update seemed to replace all controls settings anyway, putting them back to stock setups in newly named files so at least I was able to copy back the old ones. I've made backups as well now.

Now, those new file names contained bracketed elements like

Saitek X52 Pro Flight Controller {3C386280-AFF6-11e2-8003-444553540000}.lua

and those brackets were the difference between the filenames that left my old ones intact. I did have reason to disconnect/reconnect all my controls before the update which may have led to them being re-identified by DCS (it didn't affect any other sim) and that may have been what saved the old values files. Perhaps they wouldn't have been replaced if the IDs had remained the same. Perhaps they would have been overwritten regardless.

Anyway, all in all, not my best update experience :(

But the FW190 (what this has all been about for me) looks useful. Roll on the flyable version. :)

klem

56 RAF 'Firebirds'

Yes, I did those but both the direct d/l and Torrent were agonisingly slow. The Torrent told me there were only something like 1.5 seeds (I don't know how that is measured). Anyway the Torrent eventually got there first after many many hours so I cancelled the direct d/l which still had hours to go.

just in my own experience, I've found that downloading different files at the same time can lead to file corruption. ie surfing whilst downloading

Unfortunately (again) the auto-update seemed to replace all controls settings anyway, putting them back to stock setups in newly named files so at least I was able to copy back the old ones. I've made backups as well now.

just did the autoupdate and the controls section weren't over-written. They are as they were before the autoupdate

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"

• ED Team

User settings are stored in C:\Users\<YOUR LOGIN>\Saved Games\DCS and the updater does NOT touch them.

Moreover, the updater never deletes files which were edited by the user, backing them up in .backup_xxx folders inside the game installation folder.

Dmitry S. Baikov @ Eagle Dynamics

LockOn FC2 Soundtrack Remastered out NOW everywhere - https://band.link/LockOnFC2.

• 7 months later...

dcs update!!!

I am having the same problem.

At first I was getting a message telling me to basically go to where the

updater is..... so I did

C:\User|Home\AppData\Local\Temp\DCS\update\DCS_update_apply exe.

AppData is usually hidden so I had to go in to folder options and tick... yes show hidden folder and blaa blaa.

So anyways I found this and double clicked and I got this

can't apply update

dcs_update_apply.exe basedir cachedir storedir update_db_id

update cancelled by user

So after saying a few words beginning with the letter F .. I typed that whole in a search and came up what I was looking for but it was in Spanish!!

Then I finally found this in the forum...... and because some people don't know the answer they try to disguise that by mocking people!!!!

If anyone knows anything about this issue please help.

On many occasions I have tried to update DCS and I get the above message, so I ignore it for a few weeks then try it and it works.

In this case I don't want to do this because I am trying to install it on my older...... brothers computer, it's a surprise, well maybe.

So I am now going to try to apply the update ( 1 to 1.5 hours ).

Thank You