MFG Crosswind - Review

Milan,

Wish you all the best. But question for you. What will the "finished firmware for universal joystick controller." (MFG SiMM8Rge electronics) do for end users?

For example, are you trying to create something

1) like Leo's board or GP-WIZ? So people can make button boxes

2) create a better base for TM Warthog using SiMM8Rg?

3) Or better electronics for MFG rudders?

Thank you

Hansang

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

More free time, weekend! Mounted and setuping!

MFG-Cross_apwwhsp.jpg

MFG-Cross_apwwhsn.jpg

MFG-Cross_apwwhss.jpg

MFG-Cross_apwwhqr.jpg

.... after some of tests (in P3D and C-47) ...

Prepar3D-_apwwhsq.jpg

... simply Wow !!!

This sheets rubber feet. See red circle.

Mine are black.

I use for this burs:

MFG-Cross_apwwhas.jpg

Edited by YoYo

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Man they look so much better in that color scheme!!

That is because almost everything looks great in a black finish. :)

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Here are mine screwed into the volair sim chair. They barely fit, and I mean by millimeters but they do have full range of motion on all axises without any collision of the pedal mount or frame on the chair.

b5cec626d82cb7ac2c07bc11b844c293.jpg

Sent while I should be working instead.

For us August orders, we have a choice: delay till September if we want graphite, or get it on schedule if we want mild grey.

I think "Tie Fighter Black" (graphite) looks GREAT.

But "Stormtrooper White" (mild grey) is not so bad either!

An extra couple of weeks should not make a difference in a lifetime choice like this ... but it is difficult to be sure one is making an objectively-subjective choice without being subtly biased due to knowledge of early/late delivery!!

I WAS leaning graphite, but now I am leaning mild grey/white ... but am I being unduly influenced by the delivery schedule???? Who knows???

I've put together some comparison images based on images folks have shared here or from MFG's website or elsewhere on the web to help others facing this dilemma.

EDIT: As I noted, I used images sourced from various places. I did NOT explicitly ask for permission to use these for this comparison. If anyone has any objection, please let me know and I will remove them stat.

EDIT 2: Maybe a poll is called for?

MFG_Crosswinds_G_vs_W.thumb.jpg.b54638b895aeb6401730f5feeae94845.jpg

Edited by Bearfoot

@Bearfoot, nice comparison !

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

For us August orders, we have a choice: delay till September if we want graphite, or get it on schedule if we want mild grey.

I think "Tie Fighter Black" (graphite) looks GREAT.

But "Stormtrooper White" (mild grey) is not so bad either!

An extra couple of weeks should not make a difference in a lifetime choice like this ... but it is difficult to be sure one is making an objectively-subjective choice without being subtly biased due to knowledge of early/late delivery!!

I WAS leaning graphite, but now I am leaning mild grey/white ... but am I being unduly influenced by the delivery schedule???? Who knows???

I've put together some comparison images based on images folks have shared here or from MFG's website or elsewhere on the web to help others facing this dilemma.

EDIT: As I noted, I used images sourced from various places. I did NOT explicitly ask for permission to use these for this comparison. If anyone has any objection, please let me know and I will remove them stat.

EDIT 2: Maybe a poll is called for?

I'm content to stick with the mild grey. They are under my desk and no one but me sees them. I'm on the August list also.

Of course, If everyone else wants to switch to Graphite that's ok by me. It'll mean I get mine sooner. :music_whistling:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lian Li 011 Dynamic Evo, Core i9 11900K @ 5.0GHz, Corsair H150i CPU cooler, Asus Prime Z590-A, Radeon RX6800 XT64GB, Team T-Force Delta DDR4 3600, Corsair RM1000X PSU,  Win 11 x64

September is just around the corner, and you'll own these pedals for a long time. I say deal with the (minor) wait and get it in "Tie Fighter Black"/graphite!!

I'm content to stick with the mild grey. They are under my desk and no one but me sees them. I'm on the August list also.

But both of these statements imply that graphite is definitely aesthetically (of course, not functionally) better than mild grey, and that mild grey is an aesthetic compromise, and I am not sure that is the case! I am HONESTLY not sure how I feel about the relative merits of the two colors from a purely aesthetic perspective. I keep flipping back and forth. I thought the graphite looked nicer the first time I saw it, but now I'm thinking that there is a certain panache and flair to the stormtrooper white.

I can just imagine how this debate must have raged in the Messerschmitt/Bayerische Flugzeugwerke engineering meetings ...

Well, my pedals are under the desk.

Since the color does not matter.

But when it slip that is not good.

Black they are automatically. :music_whistling:

I just screwed them on a board and called it a day. I need the board for my joysticks anyway. I used it to swap out Komodo with TM. But they do look nice in that black/gray color!

j5YzjLI.jpg

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Good and detailed statement.

The standalone capability must be improved.

The balance should be spread to all four carriers and center of the base.

The front spacers are meaningless for me, but practical.

The rubber feet must be secured with screws, because very strong pressure comes down.

Instead of rubber feet are anti-slip feet for carpets better.

Ok, I will look into it. We used to fit anti-slip for carpets...but while rubber one work more or less well on all surfaces...anti-slip for carpets don't work at all on parquet or similar while rubber one does work. However, as you said yourself, when adjusted to forces close to realistic MFG Crosswind should really be fixed by using velcro pads or bolt to some large surface. Therefore we consider our baseplate as a quick solution so customer can use pedals immediately after unboxing, but most customers will somehow fix pedals if wall spacers is not suitable for them. I discussed this with many customers before, and adding big heavy baseplate which would increase price of product as well as shipping was voted as "better not"... but that debate is still on-going in my head as I would also like to provide a firm solution so my customers don't have to think too much about the way of fixing pedals...will see.

Milan,

Wish you all the best. But question for you. What will the "finished firmware for universal joystick controller." (MFG SiMM8Rge electronics) do for end users?

For example, are you trying to create something

1) like Leo's board or GP-WIZ? So people can make button boxes

2) create a better base for TM Warthog using SiMM8Rg?

3) Or better electronics for MFG rudders?

Hansang

We knew that we need to develop a decent electronics for our future projects so we did.... so answer on question 1 and 2 is YES..

Regarding question 3 - MFG SiMM8Rge is already implemented in all rudder pedals since around S/N 0350..

Thanks for the clarification Milan, and I'm glad it was all kept civil! :thumbup: I think both BRD and MFG are producing great pedals, I'll have to pick up a set of Crosswinds soon myself! :pilotfly:

Very interested in your F-16 pedal design also, is it just going to be a straight swap? will there be heelrests like with the Saitek Combats?

Yes, it is going to be straight swap...just swap footplates on 2 screws. Regarding heelrests on saitek I suppose you mean those plastic pieces that are supposed to support heel sliding....well, on MFG Crosswind we built a Y shaped baseplate exactly because of combat style...so there is NO obstruction for the heels during use...heels won't slide on some inclined plastic...but either your floor, or a cocpit floor...you can imagine some nice sheet of aluminum like in real aircraft for your heel to slide, completely detached from pedals itself :-)

Yes, it is going to be straight swap...just swap footplates on 2 screws. Regarding heelrests on saitek I suppose you mean those plastic pieces that are supposed to support heel sliding....well, on MFG Crosswind we built a Y shaped baseplate exactly because of combat style...so there is NO obstruction for the heels during use...heels won't slide on some inclined plastic...but either your floor, or a cocpit floor...you can imagine some nice sheet of aluminum like in real aircraft for your heel to slide, completely detached from pedals itself :-)

Hey Milan,

Can we see any pics of your combat style pedal concept ??? :music_whistling:

Check Six!!!_:gun_sniper:_:pilotfly:

||R7-2700X||ASUS ROG STRIX-X470F Gaming||GSKILL-TridentZRGB 16GBDDR4 3200C14||CORSAIR RM 1000X||SAPPHIRE RX 7900 XTX 24GB OC||WARTHOG HOTAS||:gun_smilie:

I'm a potential future customer and the F-16 style pedals would be exactly what I'm looking for.

Hopefully they'll be available in the next few months.

Regarding the base plate, Milan you could either offer this as a separate item, or offer a PDF with the dimensions of a base plate and the hole centres to bolt the pedals to on it.

Mark

Ok, I will look into it. We used to fit anti-slip for carpets...but while rubber one work more or less well on all surfaces...anti-slip for carpets don't work at all on parquet or similar while rubber one does work. However, as you said yourself, when adjusted to forces close to realistic MFG Crosswind should really be fixed by using velcro pads or bolt to some large surface. Therefore we consider our baseplate as a quick solution so customer can use pedals immediately after unboxing, but most customers will somehow fix pedals if wall spacers is not suitable for them. I discussed this with many customers before, and adding big heavy baseplate which would increase price of product as well as shipping was voted as "better not"... but that debate is still on-going in my head as I would also like to provide a firm solution so my customers don't have to think too much about the way of fixing pedals...will see.

Yeah, I would add it as an option. For those who wish to pay for it. I used something simpler before I mounted it to my board. A non-slip mat (THIS) which works great for hard wood floors.

We knew that we need to develop a decent electronics for our future projects so we did.... so answer on question 1 and 2 is YES..

Regarding question 3 - MFG SiMM8Rge is already implemented in all rudder pedals since around S/N 0350..

Ah, OK. I just recently ordered a bunch of stuff for my button boxes from Leo. I already have GP-WIZ and Phidgets, but wanted to try Leos' boards for the rotaries (encoder and switches). And I hope your TM base comes with replacement gimbals etc. While I don't have an issue with the ball joint they use, I'd love to try out something that you make. Love the MFGs smoothness so I can only imagine what your gimbal (if you make one) may do to TM Warthog!

Hope you make a ton of money! You certainly deserve it.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

Meanwhile, look at this Newsletter for early "Combat, heel on floor" foot rest concept: :)

http://mfg.simundza.com/assets/downloads/MFG%20Newsletter%20March%202015%20general.pdf

Wish they updated some info regarding the release of their combat style pedals...

Sent from my A210 using Tapatalk

||R7-2700X||ASUS ROG STRIX-X470F Gaming||GSKILL-TridentZRGB 16GBDDR4 3200C14||CORSAIR RM 1000X||SAPPHIRE RX 7900 XTX 24GB OC||WARTHOG HOTAS||:gun_smilie:

Wish they updated some info regarding the release of their combat style pedals...

Sent from my A210 using Tapatalk

We will update it soon...first time in last 2 years we finally produce more pedals per month than we have orders...so we are catching up, and our waiting time is decreasing. In other words - we will finally have some free time on CNC machine to produce new products, and Combat style footrests is on top of the list

We will update it soon...first time in last 2 years we finally produce more pedals per month than we have orders...so we are catching up, and our waiting time is decreasing. In other words - we will finally have some free time on CNC machine to produce new products, and Combat style footrests is on top of the list

:thumbup:

Good to hear.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Yes, but how many are waiting for their sofa's to be made!? :D:D

Screw'em....more RUDDERS!!! :joystick::joystick:

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

Thanks for the reply Milan...:)

Is it possible to know approximately by when can we see the combat pedals launched?

I have been saving to get these from you for a long time but if its going to take long then maybe I can buy the other accesories on my list that I have been contemplating and then save again for your pedals.

Just trying to arrange my list as per my budget... Hope I am not asking for too much...

Its just that I am located in India and anything I order from other countries comes with exhorbidant courier and custom duties which are prohibitively expensive(sometimes totalling to 1 and half to 2 times the original price of the item:cry:)

I am just trying to manage the best I can and hence asked you for a tentative date.

From one simmer to another :helpsmilie:

Sorry if this been answered somewhere but will it be possible to buy the combat footrests and mount on my Crosswinds or are this a completely new design?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

_____________Semper paratus, In hoc signo vinces________________

PC: Intel i7-8700K (4.9 GHz), Aorus Ultra Gaming Z370 MB, Gigabyte RTX 3080, 32 GB DDR3 (3,2 GHz), Samsung EVO 860 M.2 500 GB SSD + Samsung 960 M.2 250 GB SSD Gaming: Virpil T-50 CM2, TM WH Throttle, Crosswind pedals, HP Reverb

I remember Milan saying that they will be just an add-on and you can buy them in addition to the original design.