MFG Crosswind - Review

Review for MFG Crosswinds rudder pedals

So I have been using CH products for quite a while now (2012) and while they were good for budget rudders, featured toebrakes too, I had problems with their precision, the centering mechanism, and, after reading more about it, the pots were producing spikes and sometimes locking up requiring aggressive unsticking movement (often times I would move both legs simultaneously and fast, hitting the limits of rudder travel).

Another factor was I flew much the Bf-109 since her release and was surprised how inaccurate I can not maintain coordinated flight due to the shoe pads on CH pedals hurting the soles of my legs, my legs being closer together, the presence of the aforementioned center detent and centering springs. So after alot of thought, investigations, and asking people around youtube which is the best rudder pedal now, reading comments for videos where players are flying by keyboard and asking for precise rudders, I decided I need to upgrade my rudder.

Also, because I had CH hotas setup and already bought the TMWH, and experienced firsthand the transition from pots to hall effect magnetic sensors, the difference in precision and the notion of longevity intrigued me to go for a hall effect-based rudder. So after scouring many websites, even visiting a known Russian virtual pilot site with lots of beautiful, self made panels and controls (probably niche), I had to pick one of these rudders; MFG crosswind, Slaw, Baur, VKB. After real life commitments, lots of thoughts on what I require from my newer pedals, which is essentially:

- precision rudder inferring hall effect sensors

- a removable center detent

- precision toebrakes

- adjustable physical resistance to pushing rudder

- longevity while also surviving harsh conditions like dust and retaining function

- wide apart pedals

Initially I would go for VKB and after serious thought, I decided not to after reading about no toe brakes. I still will get a set because they resemble the Huey pedals (T-type), but because I require for now a toe brake equipped rudder, I decided to go with MFG. So after contacting Milan over at MFG and asking few questions like how much does the end product weigh, shipping dimensions, can it survive, do you offer replacements and many questions, I place an order and a month later I receive my pedals. Because I was working outside the country where my simming rig is, I was a bit afraid that this could be faulty and because I cant try it I might not be able to return it from my home coutry if its faulty. Also because unpacking then repacking for my travels I decided to wait to unbox until I am physically at the realms of home, at least to keep them protected from the jolts of transportation.

So I did. I unboxed it the third day after returning home, the packaging was excellent, and even more the rudder pedals base had edge extenders to remain away from the wall thereby protecting wiring. The base itself had rubber grips at the bottom to assist traction. The base looked really nice with lots of points to attach things with a hex key and its bolts, supplied in a bag along with three different screw pairs and the edge extenders (lets call them 'guards'), as well as spring tensioning attachment.

To my surprise, and because I am a huge fan of figuring things out, I pre-emptively downloaded MFG latest drivers and installed before plugging in, stayed away from windows calibration, and wasnt sure how to assemble the pedals. The base was straightforward, only the components were weird looking to a CH background guy, so I eventually figured out the following:

- two pairs for the pedals with slight outward angulations possible.

- the spring tensioner was puzzling at first till I learnt to pass it under the left half into the horizontal slit and tighten that with the retaining valve then cover the pointy end with the supplied protective rubber.

- lastly, the edge guards, easy. Two pairs for each. Done!

Testing time!

At that point, sheer panic marched into my confidence that this might be not working, so I open the MFG configurator after plugging the set. There it is! I move the pedals and WOW!!!

The tiniest sneeze is detected if youre on rudder. The brakes too, although I yet have to figure a way to soften them up (feels really solid resistance wise).

I boot up the 109 and as usual, the Rctrl Enter tells the full story. Precise!!!! To my amazement I can not stress enough this must be so far my best investment. Well done Milan! I am so glad I bought your rudder and really look forward to more accessories.

I even tried in Gazelle, Mi-8. Works as advertised. The tiniest rudder movement is registered, zero spikes! Precision beyond belief!

Thank you for enduring my boring but hopefully helpful review.

Until next time,

Bill

• Like 1

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

I'm glad to see 3 and a half years later this thread is still going with more and more positive reviews. Build a good quality product and they will come.

If only Thrustmaster matched this quality.

Yea, I am done with the bigger companies and their overpriced crap. From the X55 with it's bad build quality to the hotas warthog with it's dodgy gimbal. I have crosswinds on order and a VKB gunfighter ready to go once the MCG comes out and VKB's throttle system is in the cards too.

Edited by StandingCow

5900X - 32 GB 3600 RAM - 1080TI

My Twitch Channel

~Moo

I'm glad to see 3 and a half years later this thread is still going with more and more positive reviews. Build a good quality product and they will come.

If only Thrustmaster matched this quality.

True. If I had known TM would be like this I would have supported the independent producers like VKB ,slaw device, VPC,MFG.. because these guys are well worth the money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

... The brakes too, although I yet have to figure a way to soften them up (feels really solid resistance wise). ...

Pretty much like my experience. I agree on the brakes; they feel it bit hard after years of CH Pro pedals use.

Fortunately you can soften them a bit which I managed to do after watching Milan's video several times.

I found it a bit tricky because I'm lousy with mechanics; but the video tells you how to.

I also set the pedals to a 30° angle (out of the box it was 20°) which works better for me, and that's quite easy to do.

I would still like a set of softer brake springs though; especially for the 1944 planes where you have to apply differential braking for steering on the ground.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

Pretty much like my experience. I agree on the brakes; they feel it bit hard after years of CH Pro pedals use.

Fortunately you can soften them a bit which I managed to do after watching Milan's video several times.

I found it a bit tricky because I'm lousy with mechanics; but the video tells you how to.

I also set the pedals to a 30° angle (out of the box it was 20°) which works better for me, and that's quite easy to do.

I would still like a set of softer brake springs though; especially for the 1944 planes where you have to apply differential braking for steering on the ground.

Gotta watch that video because I'm almost at the ankles braking and my toes are in the air.

Received an email from Milan. Should receive my invoice next week. Also in case no one saw, he also said

NEWS FROM MFG

We recently changed our spring supplier due to some troubles with the old one. We used that opportunity to make a revision of the spring designs for our product. Pedals that will be delivered to you already include new modified springs. While we don't have pictures to show, we can tell you what's changed :

- Brake axis springs are made of thicker wire and slightly modified ( torsion diameter, hooking point, zinc plating in matt color) ...result is better looking spring that provide approx 10% stronger feedback on brakes with less friction and less squeek sounds.

- Main rudder centering spring is also zinc plated in matt finish to reflect the overall design of the pedals.

NEW SOFT CENTERING SPRING ADDON IS AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE

Cost is 2.4 eur ( 3 eur incl. TAX for EU customers)

Since our order form is not yet updated for it...If you wish to order a new soft spring you can simply add a note under your order : "softspring"

Of course, realistic centering spring is always supplied with the pedals. If you order "softspring" you will recieve both realistic and soft one, 2x in total.

DESCRIPTION :

to understand which spring we are talking about here take a look at this video :

As opposed to the old spring which is made super realistic, new spring is made of 0,2mm thinner wire, a 10mm shorter, have less coils, bigger outside diameter and less pre-tension on the spring. All of these factors result in a spring that look almost the same as the old one, but provide very different - softer centering feel. While pre-tension of the centering force can be set as before - so customer can regulate how "return to center" feel... moving rudder axis toward the end of deflection ( max rudder ) is much easier with a new spring ( as opposed to the old spring which require quite a punch like in the real world aircraft).

This new "unrealistic" spring is more comfortable for flying over extended periods, and provide more precision in a dogfight , while still retaining the superb feel MFG Crosswinds are known about. We decided to offer such spring to provide "the edge" in air combat for everyone who enjoy such flight. Due to the nature of a weak spring we feel that new spring will also be welcomed by helicopter pilots.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lian Li 011 Dynamic Evo, Core i9 11900K @ 5.0GHz, Corsair H150i CPU cooler, Asus Prime Z590-A, Radeon RX6800 XT64GB, Team T-Force Delta DDR4 3600, Corsair RM1000X PSU,  Win 11 x64

Hmm I would certain be interested in that new soft centering spring, wonder if one can order it by itself? I may contact Milan to find out...

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Hmm I would certain be interested in that new soft centering spring, wonder if one can order it by itself? I may contact Milan to find out...

Since my order isn't finalized yet I was able to add the soft spring to it. I should get my invoice on 7/17 and hopefully have them the following week.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lian Li 011 Dynamic Evo, Core i9 11900K @ 5.0GHz, Corsair H150i CPU cooler, Asus Prime Z590-A, Radeon RX6800 XT64GB, Team T-Force Delta DDR4 3600, Corsair RM1000X PSU,  Win 11 x64

I sent Milan an email a few weeks ago and he replied they have targeted April/May release of the combat pedals.

We are aiming to release combat style at April/May 2017....we're pushing

it :-)

And here we are mid-July... Glad I made my own pedals.

Intel 9600K@4.9GHz, Asus Z390, 32GB DDR4, EVGA RTX 3070, Custom Water Cooling, 970 EVO 1TB NVMe

34" UltraWide 3440x1440 Curved Monitor, 21" Touch Screen MFD monitor, TIR5

My Pit Build, VKB Gunfighter Pro w/WH Grip, TMWH Throttle, MFG Crosswinds W/Combat Pedals, Cougar MFDs, Custom A-10C panels, Custom Helo Collective, SimShaker with Transducer

Yeah, I got the same reply in January regarding the combat style pedals. I hope they'll have them out soon!

Spoiler

W10-x64 | Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra | Core i7 9700K @ 4.8Ghz | Noctua NH-D15

Corsair 32Gb 3200 | MSI RTX 3080ti Gaming X

Asus Xonar AE | TM Hotas Warthog

MFG Crosswind pedals | Valve Index

Since my order isn't finalized yet I was able to add the soft spring to it. I should get my invoice on 7/17 and hopefully have them the following week.

Same here, I too added the soft spring. Being on the west coast I will check my email the morning of 17th before heading into the office so I can pay and get them on the way.:thumbup:

So nothing official yet on the combat style pedals ...:music_whistling:

Its been a long long wait ...:(

Check Six!!!_:gun_sniper:_:pilotfly:

||R7-2700X||ASUS ROG STRIX-X470F Gaming||GSKILL-TridentZRGB 16GBDDR4 3200C14||CORSAIR RM 1000X||SAPPHIRE RX 7900 XTX 24GB OC||WARTHOG HOTAS||:gun_smilie:

I would however also like some feedback regarding the combat pedal option. Soon?

Yeah. Been waiting for that announcement since I received my pedals Dec 2014...

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard

Same here, waiting :thumbup:

Ditto. They would be an immediate purchase for me.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I agree a little update would be nice, the April/May targeted release time, they gave me a while back have long since passed.

Spoiler:

MSI Z790 Carbon WIFI, i9 14900KF, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 4090, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate MCG Pro w/200mm Extension, Winwing Orion Rudder Pedals W/damper, UTC MK II Pro, Virpil TCS Plus Collective, Dell AW3418DW Gsync monitor, 970 Pro M2 1TB (for DCS), Playseat Air Force Seat, KW-980 Jetseat, Vaicom Pro, 3X TM Cougar with Lilliput 8" screens. Tek Creations panels and controllers.

I agree a little update would be nice, the April/May targeted release time, they gave me a while back have long since passed.
I wonder what's holding Milan back in developing /launching the combat style pedals for more than 2 years now?

After all he has his own CNC machines and most of us have been enquiring about it for ages now...

Hopefully we hear some good news on that front soon...

He gets good business as well ...

Yeah, a little official update on that won't hurt anybody ...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Check Six!!!_:gun_sniper:_:pilotfly:

||R7-2700X||ASUS ROG STRIX-X470F Gaming||GSKILL-TridentZRGB 16GBDDR4 3200C14||CORSAIR RM 1000X||SAPPHIRE RX 7900 XTX 24GB OC||WARTHOG HOTAS||:gun_smilie:

Lastest Up date on Crosswind Combat Pedals

FYI as you can see I contacted Milan and here's his detail reply.

Many customers and owners of your crosswind rudder pedals, would like an update or progress report on the combat pedals modification. Also can you provide a possible time table for their release. Thanks!

Hi Larry and thank you on your kind note. I hope you are happy with your rudder pedals ( about a year since purchase so far).

I've seen forum posts on DCS forums regarding the delay on combat style pedals...please do forward this mail on the forum.

Resons for delay are many, unfortunately... but it will be done. Let me try to explain some circumstances...

- we can produce combat style on CNC as stated on the forums...but both CNC's are producing current model of rudder pedals. It takes a lot of machining time to produce pedals, and demand is still solid. I though that we will be able to manufacture combat style pedals when demand for the MFG decline a little...but I guess we'll have to start working another shift. Keep in mind that it's easy to produce a few prototypes on CNC...but we have to supply customers with enough units. What's the use of releasing such a new style if it's not available to purchase ?? ... Few months in a row our waiting times for rudder pedals are 30 days or less...which tell you that we can now manage some production time to produce combat style footrests in some quantity

- aside from CNC manufacturing these, we also explored other options...like laser cut and folded sheet metal , heat folded acrylic, or die cast aluminum parts. There are pro's and con's of each manufacturing ( price, aestetics ..) ... and now when we have a larger customer base ( 4500 units sold so far) we might opt for die cast aluminum. On that purpose we will probably sum up pro's and con's ...and provide a survey to our customers to help us decide.

- Many of customers will say ..." sure , nice explanation...but 2 years...huh.."

Such a long has passed because I'm the one who is in charge for that development, and I had to do other things in past two years. I was working a lot on customer service ( feedback, ordering, dispatching pedals, customer support) and helping out in production ( supplies, educating CNC operators, refining the production) ... I helped to polish out new software and firmware, updated pedals design with subtle changes, new spring design, introducing new color, warthog extensions ... and it's not just work...I recently got married and moved in to new home, honeymoon and stuff :-) ...other family stuff too...I guess you know how these things go without going too much in my private stuff. I still have to get my simulator "corner" in place which I find crucial to develop and test new stuff.

- TIMING

From late August I'll be 100% devoted on combat style footrests...and I'm sure we will have solid news for you at end of September ! Releasing combat style is our top priority and must happen before 2017 end's... even if it means I'll work round the clock :-)

P.S. It's not just combat pedals. I'm pretty sure that I'll tune up MFG Crosswinds a bit too, make them a bit more narrow, more stable base of the pedals, already have few concepts. We'll need to redesign package for new variant's since pedals can ship with either current style , or combat, or both. Separate packing for footrests also need to be done etc.

Apologise for delays... I know you all want it "yesterday", but I'll do my best like with the MFG Crosswinds.

Kind regards

Milan Simundza

• Like 1

Spoiler:

MSI Z790 Carbon WIFI, i9 14900KF, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 4090, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate MCG Pro w/200mm Extension, Winwing Orion Rudder Pedals W/damper, UTC MK II Pro, Virpil TCS Plus Collective, Dell AW3418DW Gsync monitor, 970 Pro M2 1TB (for DCS), Playseat Air Force Seat, KW-980 Jetseat, Vaicom Pro, 3X TM Cougar with Lilliput 8" screens. Tek Creations panels and controllers.

What is the difference between said pedals and crosswinds anyways?

What is the difference between said pedals and crosswinds anyways?

The Combat Style being discussed, are down lower where one's heels rest on the floor. Like the Saitek Combats were.

The regular pedals currently shipping with the Crosswinds, are up a little higher where one raises up the foot and rests the entire foot in the pedal.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|