Older than 50? 60? 70? Years

lazduc

I just want to say WOW!

I wish I`ll fly sims at 70! (Can`t imagine how they will look in 2046!)

Edited by alieneye

YouTube || Copycats - technology and product clones (primarily aviation) || dgrigoriev.com
SPECS: i7 8700K (OK 5GHz), 2xGTX 3080ti, 64GB RAM, 1Tb SSD, WIN 10, 2560x1440, Oculus Rift CV1 || TM Warthog, TIR5, MFG Crosswind pedals

I'm 58 years old, flight simming since the days of Falcon AT ...

... so I can fully apreciate what a wonderful product we do have with DCS, that's why I try to show my support by buying almost every module that they've produced :)

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Just hit 65. Janes Fighters Anthology started it for me..It had Multiplayer and appealed to me because I would be flying with and against humans ..WOW! Ummm on Dial-Up....LOL!

Thats where I met my squadmates. Four of us still fly together after 19-20 years. The difference from where we started to what we have know is pretty amazing and makes me appreciate ED for making it happen.

<S> To ED, you guys are my heros!

An actual age poll could be revealing. Im thinking the avg age is the older set.

My Dad was a WWII Vet. He was Navy in the South Pacific. Saw action at Okinawa with Kamakazis hitting his ship.

Uncles were Navy, Army and USAAF and saw action in Burma, Italy, France and Germany.

Edited by MegOhm_SD

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

57 here, and my first flight sims were on a C-64, but during the time of some of the great ones of the late 80/early 90s, life kept me too busy to really delve into them properly, though I did own quite a few I never really got a good grasp of any of them, unfortunately. Returned to flight simming when I retired in 2010 and rediscovered it.

It sure was a lot cheaper in the old days, with just a keyboard and very basic joystick.

It certainly has changed.

Btw, there should be a poll floating around on just this subject, though I am too lazy search for it, and I think the average age ended up in the 40's.

Edited by cichlidfan

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

In that range, but well to the left for now. :-)

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

My first flight sim was this:

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

My father is not a member on these forums but he just turned 60 and has been flying DCS for a few years now. He had a PPL in the 1980's and like many, started flight simming on a Commodore 64. I have him to thank for my love and great interest in aviation. I am 37 by the way.

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

Great stories....keep em commin. Way back...I purchased a TRS-80. The first program (on tape cassette ) was FS-1. Wire frame.. 41 years I have had a computer and flight sim software. I still have all the software and the computers. Imsai, Tandy 6000, Amiga, Apple, Commodore, well over 80 systems. Cant remember all the names. lol. And of course my new systems....and probably over 200 Flight sim software titles.

Its ironic, I read here about members wanting such and such models of their particular interest.....I have software that already models everything (almost) coming. Course most are not "Study Sim" types but still they are a kick to fly. I also have over 100 Radio controlled aircraft simulators. Every plane on DCS I have a RC aircraft sim.

Speaking of RC...I just finished the T-50 Pakfa. Also have the FW190, Me-109, Su-35, Mig-29 and the F-22. These guys weigh in over 6-8 lbs and use ducted fans. 40k to 60rpm..60,000 rpm, 10 blades...sound like the real thing. Next jet I am getting is the Mig-21.

Clear Skys..Happy Holidays

Lazduc

Great stories....keep em commin. Way back...I purchased a TRS-80. The first program (on tape cassette ) was FS-1. Wire frame.. 41 years I have had a computer and flight sim software. I still have all the software and the computers. Imsai, Tandy 6000, Amiga, Apple, Commodore, well over 80 systems. Cant remember all the names. lol. And of course my new systems....and probably over 200 Flight sim software titles.

Its ironic, I read here about members wanting such and such models of their particular interest.....I have software that already models everything (almost) coming. Course most are not "Study Sim" types but still they are a kick to fly. I also have over 100 Radio controlled aircraft simulators. Every plane on DCS I have a RC aircraft sim.

Speaking of RC...I just finished the T-50 Pakfa. Also have the FW190, Me-109, Su-35, Mig-29 and the F-22. These guys weigh in over 6-8 lbs and use ducted fans. 40k to 60rpm..60,000 rpm, 10 blades...sound like the real thing. Next jet I am getting is the Mig-21.

Clear Skys..Happy Holidays

Lazduc

My parents got this, and I tinkered around. http://www.oldcomputers.net/ti994a.html

When I moved out, I got this.

http://oldcomputers.net/tano-dragon.html

Man, in the day, this was computing at it's finest! :thumbup:;)

52 here ☺

My Hardware: ROG Strix X570-F Gaming - AMD 5600X @ 4.7 ghz - G.SKILL TRIDENT 32GB DDR4 3200 (14-14-14-34 CL) - GigaByte 3080ti OC 12gb - Corsair MP600 Force 1TB - 2 x EVO Nvme 500GB - Virpil Warbird Base T-50CM2 and TM Throttle + Trackhat + G25 + AOC AG271QG 27"

My Modules: JF-17, F-16C, AV-8N/A, F-18C, ASJ37, MiG-15Bis, MiG-21Bis, Fw-190D, Bf-109K, P-51D, F-86F, Ka-50 III, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, NS430, FC3, A-10C, Mirage 2000C, L-39, F-5E-3, SA342, Spitfire, AH-64, Mirage F-1CE.

My Maps: Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria, South Atlantic.

60!

Started out with a apple IIc and flight sims. 1986. I remember the sky was blue, the ground was green and the aircraft was wire frame!

Spend HOURS learning to dog fight.

I also spent way too much time with Microsoft CFS2. Still have this on the pc and do fly it sometimes. With all the mods available for CFS2 the folder has grown to 15 gb! Still great fun to fly.

I am STILL good at crashing on deck during carrier "landings":D

Boy, have we come a long way!

Fun to reminisce but I am forever spoiled by DCS.

Hawkeye

ps: I still own a rocket ship apple IIgs With every hardware upgrade you could buy for it. Still boots and runs fine after all these years.

What a great machine! Speeds along at a blazing 4 mhz!:D

"Yeah, and though I work in the valley of Death, I will fear no Evil. For where there is one, there is always three. I preparest my aircraft to receive the Iron that will be delivered in the presence of my enemies. Thy ALCM and JDAM they comfort me. Power was given unto the aircrew to make peace upon the world by way of the sword. And when the call went out, Behold the "Sword of Stealth". And his name was Death. And Hell followed him. For the day of wrath has come and no mercy shall be given."

Okay somewhat youngish 57.

I got into Terminal Velocity, but Whoa the Huey is AWESOME.

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

I'm just out the age range on this thread......49 here, but feel more like 20 on the VA server! (AO now I think it's called).

I started with "Spitfire 40" on an Amstrad CPC 464 back in 1986! This Friday coming I will have gone full circle on the Spitfire when our latest and greatest is released :D

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

wow so many uncles here :D

i am 36 and everybody is saying that why are you playing games at this age. now i am happy that my simmer uncles are also playing. i wish i will be playing at your ages too

salute

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

Hmm....Where are all of you when I'm in the servers? All I ever see there are 14-20 year old lunatics who only fly the F15. Sometimes I get so aggravated that I just don't go on line. I'll be starting up and some kid will careen into me as he's trying to do a supersonic flyover to show all of us his skills.

So I guess I just answered my own question. With age comes common sense I suppose. I'm only 52.

Those 'kids' online is why I don't play any game in MP. I have been frustrated too many times by the antics that go on regardless of what the game is.

In terms of DCS, I rarely have/had the time to dedicate to a good MP mission.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

These stories are great. Lots of fun reading them and looking forward to them. Kills the time waiting for you know what. By the way I have a TI99-4A.. with the huge floppy drive/serial/sound add-on. I have a number of Apple computers.

What was the strangest computer you ever came across? I'll bet some of you older gentlemen have come across systems that are almost unknown except for a few. Let me start out....see if you ever heard of an EXO system? One more that comes to mind....is yes the MindSet computer.

What have you seen??

Lazduc

Although I haven't been a flight simmer for decades I've been video-gaming since the dawn of video games. Took a while to remember the name and find a pic but this is where it started for me. The Telstar arcade! Think it was taken off the market for burning image into TV screens after a few months use. I remember the cartridges had this wierd pungent smell to them. Probably made of asbestos and plutonium or some other hazardous material back then.

Edited by cthulhu68