Ailerons extremely draggy

Pocket Sized

I am currently running 1.5.6 update 2. It's also present in 1.5.5 and 1.5.4.

Problem: Ailerons seem to create a tremendous amount of drag when deflected.

Replication: Accelerate to 600-800 kmh at low altitude and stabilize your airspeed. Do a full deflection aileron roll and note how much airspeed is lost almost instantly. The amount of drag is comparable to extending the airbrake!

Does anyone know of this is accurate behavior? It makes high speed dives difficult as countering uncommanded roll results in severe speed loss. The F-86 has much bigger ailerons that deflect further but they don't have any noticeable effect on airspeed when used, especially not to this degree.

I will probably upload a video later today replicating the problem.

DCS modules are built up to a spec, not down to a schedule.

In order to utilize a system to your advantage, you must know how it works.

• 3 months later...

Alright after you brought this up I did some testing of my own. Your results seem similar to mine, the drag produced by even the slight movement of the Ailerons on the Mig-15bis seems massive. In the video below I demonstrate this and compare it to the similar F-86, an aircraft with larger ailerons. The Mig demonstrates a loss of +80kts in a high speed roll while the Sabre would appear to actually gain speed in some instances.

Holy crap, I knew the drag was bad but I had no idea it was THAT significant.

If/when this gets fixed, I wonder how the "balance" between the MiG and Sabre will be effected? It seems like they're pretty even in game despite the MiG having to deal with such a massive handicap.

DCS modules are built up to a spec, not down to a schedule.

In order to utilize a system to your advantage, you must know how it works.

• ED Team
Alright after you brought this up I did some testing of my own. Your results seem similar to mine, the drag produced by even the slight movement of the Ailerons on the Mig-15bis seems massive. In the video below I demonstrate this and compare it to the similar F-86, an aircraft with larger ailerons. The Mig demonstrates a loss of +80kts in a high speed roll while the Sabre would appear to actually gain speed in some instances.

Thanx, guys! We will check it out!

Wow, good find. thanks for the post.

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

• 2 weeks later...
  • ED Team
I am currently running 1.5.6 update 2. It's also present in 1.5.5 and 1.5.4.

Problem: Ailerons seem to create a tremendous amount of drag when deflected._

Did a quick flight yesterday. No joy to fly at the moment. Doing two aileron rolls slows you down faster than airbrake usage.:cry:

fixed it!:) But probably in the FRIDAY-update it fix will not be included:(

PS. WILL BE included!))

Edited by PilotMi8
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
fixed it!:) But probably in the FRIDAY-update it fix will not be included:(

PS. WILL BE included!))

Hi PilotMi8,

Will the fix be included in the new version DCS 1.5.7 now planned for release next week?

I am a big fan of your Mig-15 :)

Thank you in anticipation.

Happy landings,

Bell_UH-1 side.png

this isnt anything new, patch notes regularly omit 3rdparty module changelogs. heatblur also noted viggen fixes for 1.5.7 and those weren't posted in the patch announcement either.

i would think pilotmi8 to be a trustworthy source of information, if he says its in the incoming patch, then it will be in the patch.

Yes, could we get some confirmation this will be fixed in the 1.5.7 patch once released? I just started flying the MiG-15bis (after months of flying the Sabre), and I've been astonished at the speed bleed during simple aileron rolls. I scrubbed 100 kts of airspeed in a simple 180 deg roll.

I understand these kinds of bugs can appear with constantly evolving software, just hoping it'll be fixed soon.

i believe that is what he means, it will be in 1.5.7 patch.

As I understand it, he was referring to the fix in relation to the DCS version 2.1.0 update for Friday 26th May.

I am asking if it will be included in the version 1.5.7 update due this Friday 7th July.

His post about the fix was dated 24th May, at which time there was no news of version 1.5.7 update, only 2.1.0. There is no mention of the fix in the version 1.5.7 changelog, so I am concerned about that.

Some information on this from the developers would be very welcome, as many of us are not involved in testing version 2.1.0. I hope that version 1.5.7 users will not be left out of this fix.

Happy landings,

Bell_UH-1 side.png

Agreed. I tested the MiG-15bis in the latest 2.1.0 Alpha last night, and it flies VERY differently. The problem is definitely fixed there. I can do complete aileron rolls with almost no speed loss. It feels like it should - a rocketship just bursting with power (albeit a glacial roll rate :>).

Hopefully we can get confirmation for the 1.5.7 release on July 7th. I'm looking forward to getting back into Museum Relic (which is dependent on the Caucasus map).

Agreed. I tested the MiG-15bis in the latest 2.1.0 Alpha last night, and it flies VERY differently. The problem is definitely fixed there. I can do complete aileron rolls with almost no speed loss. It feels like it should - a rocketship just bursting with power (albeit a glacial roll rate :>).

Hopefully we can get confirmation for the 1.5.7 release on July 7th. I'm looking forward to getting back into Museum Relic (which is dependent on the Caucasus map).

Nice to know that the performance is good in version 2.1.0. Thanks for the feedback and good news :)

Happy landings,

Bell_UH-1 side.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Greetings

I'm having lots of stalling issues and loss of control hence why I'm here.

Found the performance stats pdf here - https://belsimtek.com/upload/docs/DCS_MiG-15bis_AERODYN_OPER_LIMITATIONS.pdf

I quote from page 4 - Minimum airspeed limitations

"Minimum control speed at which the control surfaces retain sufficient

effectiveness is 300 km/h at altitudes above 12000m"

I'm losing control at @400kph at even low to medium alts in dogfights and the AC is too slow to recover in a dive. Hella draggy. I'd like that extra 100 kph margin if possible :D

Now I remember in beta phase this was a joy to fly, bags of power, now it feels like its too draggy and underpowered.

I understand the beta FM was not accurate but IMO the current iteration does not tally with the documented statistics either and needs bumping up.

I also notice slightly worse performance in 2.1 but I put that down to the QFE of Nevafa being around 900-1000 meters higher above sea level than Caucasus.

I'm learning to let the MiG fly me and I just help it along but still I feel something is a miss here.

I can live stream it if dev's are interested in seeing where it all falls apart in combat.

Many thanks

The FALSE is real, but it's not THRUTH right?

Intel i7 8700K OC4.4GHz | 16GB | GTX1080Ti | Logitech G940 | TrackIR5 |