P-51B or C

Mike Busutil

P-51B or C  

68 members have voted

1. 1. P-51B or C

• Yes very much!
    • No thanks, the D model is the best.
    • Don't care, I don't like WW2 aircraft.

The B & C, and any other WWII bird! I'll buy them all! :thumbup:

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

I will gladly pay full boat for any WWII US aircraft. (And many European as well!) :thumbup:

I almost find myself wishing for a P-51A model now. Below 12,000 ft I would chew that Fw-190D up and spit it out.

Great idea Mike Besutil!

Edited by chris455

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] Remembering Arlie "Jack" Campbell, US Army Air Forces, WWII. Well done dad, rest in peace.

You're right. In the outfit I'm most familiar with, the 325th, there were some pilots who preferred the C model, which of course is the same as the B. Slightly thinner wing and greenhouse canopy made it just a little faster and, some thought, a better gun platform. The drawback? The 50 cals had to be mounted partly on their sides which made a tighter turn for the ammo feed into the receivers. In a fight the guns were very likely to jam if you were firing and pulling more than 3 1/2 G's. They added electric motors to help move the belts but the D models had wings thick enough to take the Brownings upright. Wonder if they would model this? Sure would like to see this version....and about a hundred other WWII planes. I like jets but DCS is well on the way to the best WWII sim ever...if they just follow through.

I'd love to see an older model razorback P-51, especially since I like the look of the razorback version better than the bubbletop. Heck I hope we see older model versions of all aircraft once DCS WWII Europe is released. Mission designers can then decide what era of plane they want in a mission, so that you don't have to worry about being in an older crate and being bounced by a late war aircraft.

dzjehh.jpg

"Hurled headlong flaming from the ethereal sky; With hideous ruin and combustion down;
To bottomless perdition, there to dwell; In adamantine chains and penal fire"

(RIG info is outdated, will update at some point) i5 @3.7GHz (OC to 4.1), 16GB DDR3, Nvidia GTX 970 4GB, TrackIR 5 & TrackClip Pro, TM Warthog HOTAS, VKB T-Rudder Mk.IV, Razer Blackshark Headset, Obutto Ozone

One thing is interesting I found, there is actually a P-51B model within the DCS files and is viewable via model viewer. So who knows? :)

Would love to see this bird, it just looks more badass to me.

EDIT - Saved you some time.

6a9x.png

ED did look at making the B model, (Check your p51b.dll in the mods/aircrafts/P51-d/bin folder)

But it was scrapped in favour of the D model. So afaik there are no plans to finish the b model and its there as a redundant entry.

As for WW2 aircraft in DCS I have been putting some into it off my own back but the problem isnt getting the models into dcs and flying but getting a true afm in.

All the programmers I spoke to about it want it to be a full blown module release, not something I am interested in doing solo.

Some screenies can be found on the facebook page here : https://www.facebook.com/GWBHF

Video here as well

Pete

id love a new p51 for several reason. Definitely the B. Even just a visual mod.

BTW. whats with leaving redundant files in ? always wondered that.

SFM Warbirds ?

Tail draggers dont work with sfm sadly. Its configured into nose wheel aircraft mode

I'm sure you could copy and paste over the P-51D AFM, no one would notice!

It's not quite as simple as that. We have the P-51D AFM on our Spitfire, but it's not just a simple copy and paste.

What Rock Said.

It doesnt work that way if you want all the contact points working, cockpit positions without screwing he settings for the Mustang up etc etc

I was fortunate enough to see a B at Duxford last year and got some nice shots of her. Although I would say the 'D' was a better looking aeroplane I found it so interesting to see her maybe because of how few there are. And the more you look at her she is still a beautiful aeroplane. I would love to see a B in DCS.

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

I was fortunate enough to see a B at Duxford last year and got some nice shots of her. Although I would say the 'D' was a better looking aeroplane I found it so interesting to see her maybe because of how few there are. And the more you look at her she is still a beautiful aeroplane. I would love to see a B in DCS.

yeah princess liz is a stunning aircraft :)

Rock and I were fortunate enough that we got to sit in her while she was in the UK :)

Rock, Ells and Myself :)

1403624_544211888986983_1025237679_o.jpg

yeah princess liz is a stunning aircraft :)

Rock and I were fortunate enough that we got to sit in her while she was in the UK :)

Indeed - what an awesome day that was! :) Princess Elizabeth is, without doubt, my favourite stang. I really can't wait for a high back 51 to fly in DCS :)

Virtual Horsemen - Right Wing (P-51)  - 2008... 

Virtual Ultimate Fighters - Lead (P-47) - 2020...

• 2 weeks later...

I'd much rather have something more modern than a variant of the Mustang. Give me a multirole fighter though and you can have whatever you want!

Saying that, I can't see it happening. With all the WW2 stuff on it's way already I'm hoping that ED will shift their focus onto the Vietnam era and beyond.

We have choppers, we have ground pounders and we'll soon have a decent selection of warbirds. What DCS really needs is new terrain and a nice selection of fast jets (and no, FC3 doesn't count).

Edited by howie87