Profile of people in the DCS World

marluk

Hi everybody!

I was always curious what kind of people are interested in flight simulations. My friend once said that average flight simmer is employed, married and has a children(or child).

Are you for sharing some stats here?

I have graduated Mathematics & Computer Science, employed as a software developer, have a son.

Thanks,

Marin.

:pilotfly:

[B]*NOB* Lucky[/B] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Tko vrijedi leti, tko leti vrijedi, tko ne leti ne vrijedi

• ED Team
Hi everybody!

I was always curious what kind of people are interested in flight simulations. My friend once said that average flight simmer is employed, married and has a children(or child).

Are you for sharing some stats here?

I have graduated Mathematics & Computer Science, employed as a software developer, have a son.

Thanks,

Marin.

:pilotfly:

I'm married with children, but my Flight sim addiction started before all that, so I think its more about being old than being married with children lol.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

I am currently 18 years young. Started with DCS 3-4 years ago. Still going to school. Not married and no children ;).

However, many of the guys I had the pleasure to fly with, fall into your described profile.

20-40 years old, married and having children, working in all kind of diffrent jobs.

Check out my YouTube: xxJohnxx

Intel i7 6800k watercooled | ASUS Rampage V Edition 10 | 32 GB RAM | Asus GTX1080 watercooled

Aero engineer, unmarried, no children. I start flight simming around age 10, I don't think there was a point where I was not interested.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

Married with 2 daughters. Employed as a mechanical design engineer. 40+ years young. I refuse to grow up in some aspects of my life. I fell in love with flight sims in the era of Falcon 3.0.

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

Hi everybody!

My friend once said that average flight simmer is employed, married and has a children(or child).

Married or not, young or old, with children or not... I know all kinds of DCS pilots from our country. But we have one thing in common - endless passion for all flying vehicles heavier than air :thumbup:

My 3yo son

attachment.php?attachmentid=73174&d=1352622091

I fell in love with flight sims in the era of Falcon 3.0.

This was my first sim - "ACE" on Commodore 64 - pretty awesome, keep in mind that C64 has less cpu power than a current pocket calculators :D

ace_land.giface_refuell.gif

Edited by Suchacz

employed, married and has a children

Thb, that is pretty generic and is true for 80% of the population. No wonders that it is true for flight simmers as well, eh? :o)

Is there really some distinct attribute that is "typical" for us flight simmers? Maybe when compared to other "typical computer gamers", but even there I am unsure ...

I think for the most part the average flight simmer has to be employed, rather expensive hobby once you get into it. I'm 33, mechanical engineering (may be adding aeronautical engineering down the road) and a designer for a maritime engineering consultancy, unmarried and no kids - don't feel like doing either of the latter two at the moment, still too much to do first before I feel like settling down.

Been messing around with flight sims since a kid, though many wouldn't be considered sims by DCS standards now. One of the games that really got me into the genre was LHX, absolutely loved playing it all the time. Amazing when looking back at it now.

2jaxftd.gif

"Hurled headlong flaming from the ethereal sky; With hideous ruin and combustion down;
To bottomless perdition, there to dwell; In adamantine chains and penal fire"

(RIG info is outdated, will update at some point) i5 @3.7GHz (OC to 4.1), 16GB DDR3, Nvidia GTX 970 4GB, TrackIR 5 & TrackClip Pro, TM Warthog HOTAS, VKB T-Rudder Mk.IV, Razer Blackshark Headset, Obutto Ozone

Hi guys, I'm 38, Married, employed as a Womble and Now the father of a beautiful 3 month old baby girl. :D

Been flightsimming since the 80's, pretty sure my first sim was 747 on the BBC Model B, quickly followed by Atari, Amega and then PCs in 94 and never looked back since.

Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

I'm a university student. No kids and not officially married (thank god). I started simmin with the original F/A-18 Korea, then briefly sims like MiG Alley, Super Hornet, F-16 Agressor, Ka-52 Alligator, Il-2 Sturmovik and Falcon 4.0. More seriously flew Flanker 2.0/2.5 and Lock-On when it was released. Dropped mil sims and started flying FS2004 when it was released up untill like 2007. Since that I haven't been gaming or simming at all up untill just this year when I bought a new rig :) (been an Apple fanboy in between, and still am ;))

FA-18-Korea.jpeg

Someone might remember me as 'FlyingRussian' from the Ubisoft Lock-On forum back in '03

I am convinced that the common denominator is an addictive personality which may include:

- Impulsive behavior, difficulty in delaying gratification, an antisocial personality and a disposition toward sensation seeking.

- A high value on nonconformity combined with a weak commitment to the goals for achievement valued by the society.

- A sense of social alienation and a general tolerance for deviance.

- A sense of heightened stress, often associated with drug and alcohol problems.:drink::smoke:

But what do I know?

I'm at 38, an academic personnel in university and married with children; a daughter (11-month).

While I fly, she pulls the headset's cable, looks carefully at my headtrack's red LEDs (you must see her face! :D), tries to hold the collective and push down (like she wants to do this especially when I'm in Ka-50)... So funny...

I have good system for DCS Wold. As I said I'm at 38 and although this I have intention to make home cockpit in next year. :)

If I were at 68, I'd fly and make cockpit again. Nothing would change... :)

Intel i7-14700@5.6GHz | MSI RTX4080 Super SuprimX | Corsair V. 32GB@6400MHz. | Samsung 1TB 990 PRO SSD (Win10Homex64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

I am 35, married, no Kids (yet) and work for a Computer Company (doing network stuff)..my first Flightsim was Microprose Gunship..ahh good Days..

gunship_04.gif

I am not a hardcore Simmer..I mostly just like flying arround in DCS..

Edited by Lizzard

My Specs:

I don`t care..it is a Computer..a black one..

It appears that there are no rules.:music_whistling:

Only common thing is passion for flying. Although I must mention that I haven't found such friendly internet community till now. I feel here as a home. Thank you guys! :thumbup:

But we have one thing in common - endless passion for all flying vehicles heavier than air

My 3yo son

Suchacz, thank you for sharing the picture. You have beautiful little pilot. My son have just turned two. For a little while I will show him fs too ;).

My first sim was Microsoft Flight Simulator 3.0 that was in use at late eighties. My parents couldn't afford expensive PC but I had neighbour whos father owned computer company so I was often his guest:). Anyway, I had Spectrum ZX 48k and Commodore 64 at the time.

Msfs3.png

[B]*NOB* Lucky[/B] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Tko vrijedi leti, tko leti vrijedi, tko ne leti ne vrijedi

I am 17, and i stared flying DCS last year.

My first flight sim was Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004

DCS: F-4E really needs to be a thing!!!!!!

Aircraft: A-10C, Ka-50, UH-1H, MiG-21, F-15C, Su-27, MiG-29, A-10A, Su-25, Su-25T, TF-51

Late 40's, married, no kids. Worked until recently as a gunsmith and as a much tamer version of Yuri Orlov.

My nationality is Spanglish :)

Biker, fascinated by anything mechanical, especially weapons. Military technology and history geek.

Done some real world fixed wing flying but gave up as the cost\enjoyment ratio didn't work out for me.

First flight sim I cannot remember, but it would have been on an 8-bit micro like so many others.

---------------------------------------------------------

PC specs:- Intel 386DX, 2mb memory, onboard graphics, 14" 640x480 monitor

Modules owned:- Bachem Natter, Cessna 150, Project Pluto, Sopwith Snipe

Single, with no children, unless you count pops, who acts like a child due to stroke.

I was Flyign Flight sims when I was 5, so 1989ish, by time i was 10 or so I had Top Gun: FAW on PC, with a Topgun Joystick sitting on a box between my legs... and I thought it was the most realistic sim ever, along with Jetfighter II and III, Falcon AT, Falcon 3.0 and Falcon 4.0, I have pretty much every Jane's Sim, and a bunch from Novalogic, Everything from Thirdwire, etc.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Born in Wisconsin. 35, married, child on the way. Saved up money one summer when I was 12 to go flying but for $100 for 1 hour in a Cesna was way too expensive. Switched to motorcycles.

Now I have a Harley and run my own English school in Japan. As for flight sims, started with the C64 and was a huge space simmer until recently. Dumped the entire genre because I don't like the mentality of people producing those games anymore.

Looking back now...I did what I had to do to get here and I'll do what I have to to stay...

So great to read about everybody. I won't lie, I feel a little better now. I was a smidge down because I turned 29 last week and realized that's almost 30 and felt old, ha ha. But anyway, I've been married for almost six years, just moved for the third time in five years. Settled in North Carolina. Love it!

First flight sim I can remember is Jet Fighter, on floppy, but the first one I really wore out was Strike Fighter. Been on the MSFS train until I dicsovered DCS early last year.

Keep 'em coming ...

The State Military (MAG 13)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

SHEEP WE-01

AV-8B BuNo 164553

VMA-214

Col J. “Poe” Rasmussen

http://www.statelyfe.com

Specs: Gigabyte Z390 Pro Wifi; i9-9900K; EVGA 2080 Ti Black; 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4; Samsung 970 EVO Series M.2 SSD; WIN10; ASUS VG248QE; CV-1 and Index

Modules: A-10C; AV8B; CA; FC3; F-5; F-14; F-18; F-86; HAWK; L-39; P-51; UH1H; NTTR; Normandy; Persian Gulf

Grew up absolutely loving aerospace, especially fighter planes. My eyesight ensured I could never be a professional pilot of any kind despite being fully correctable to 20/20. As soon as I had access to a PC capable of playing flight sims, I spent as much time as I could playing them.

At this point, I am married with a son, but I played flight sims dating all the way back to the 9th grade on my Timex Sinclair 1000 (black and white with a very basic flight sim) and Timex Sinclair 2068 (color with flight sims like Fighter Pilot -- F-15 Eagle and Tomahawk -- AH-64).

So, I propose that flight simmers can be simply described as anyone who:

1) Loves flight/aircraft

2) Is aware that PC simulators exist

3) Has access to hardware that can run PC simulators.

The fact that a lot of simmers are married with children is most likely a byproduct of the fact that most people with the access to decent hardware (i.e. the cash flow to buy HOTAS, video cards, etc.) are probably adults, who in turn are most likely married with children.

Modern youth also tend to play the modern action games with little patience or dedication for learning intricately detailed flight sims. Aviation fanatics willing to spend time and money on flight sims appear to inevitably be a small minority regardless of age.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]