DCS World 1.5 and 2 Discussion

Wags

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

400~MB/Sec Avg Sequential Read vs 3500-4500+MB/Sec Seq. Read (DDR3->DDR4)

now thats what im talking about. what do i need (im sure its software). where to get it? freeware??

Asus x99, i7 5930k, 32g mem, MSI 1070GTX, 970 Samsung M.2, LG 35in Ultra-Wide, TrackIR 4

Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

now thats what im talking about. what do i need (im sure its software). where to get it? freeware??

Google it, RAMDisk, RAMDrive There's plenty of options, I use the Command Line tools, but it's an advanced setup.

(AMD, ASRock, ASUS etc all have their own software)

Outside of that, let's not derail to far from the DCS 2 Topic.

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

400~MB/Sec Avg Sequential Read vs 3500-4500+MB/Sec Seq. Read (DDR3->DDR4)

Yeah, No Difference what-so-ever, Once an image is loaded at boot, it's in the ram until you shut down, then it's saved back to the non Volatile memory, I Loaded 10GB into my Ram in a few minutes at boot, my system stays running weeks at a time, and is behind APC Battery Backup.

Even then, there are now PCIe3.0 4x-8x SSD Drives that read/write up to 2500MB/Sec.

SATA6 SSDs are going down, the SATA6 Port has a Max Bandwidth of 600~MB/Sec.

Impressive numbers for sure, but I'll still claim that there is no humannoticeable difference. When you load a mission, it might be 2 or 3 seconds quicker, but who's even going to notice unless you're counting?

uh....speaking about Nevada map in DCS 2...does anybody here think the Area 51 may...well,you know what i'm thinking :D

I hope so......:D

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

Area 51 is very close to Groom Lake AFB (or is it :music_whistling: ) and Groom Lake AFB is include...

Some facts about the NTTR map:

Airfields include Nellis AFB, Groom Lake AFB, Creech AFB, and Las Vegas McCarren. At a later point we hope to also add Tonopah AFB.

UFOs are possible :thumbup:

Wfm_area51_map_en.png

Playing: F-16C

Intel i7-13700KF, 64GB DDR5 @5600MHz, RTX 4080 ZOTAC Trinity, WIN 11 64Bit Prof.

Squadron "Serious Uglies" / Discord-Server: https://discord.gg/2WccwBh

Ghost0815

will have support DirectX 12 or AMD mantle for R9 290X ?

I don't think so, the development of EDGE have started probably too soon before those two was reveals and since ED is not a huge game company i'm sure they can't have prerelease access to those tech so earlier and easily !

CPU : I7 6700k, MB : MSI Z170A GAMING M3, GC : EVGA GTX 1080ti SC2 GAMING iCX, RAM : DDR4 HyperX Fury 4 x 8 Go 2666 MHz CAS 15, STORAGE : Windows 10 on SSD, games on HDDs.

Hardware used for DCS : Pro, Saitek pro flight rudder, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, Oculus Rift.

Own : A-10C, Black Shark (BS1 to BS2), P-51D, FC3, UH-1H, Combined Arms, Mi-8MTV2, AV-8B, M-2000C, F/A-18C, Hawk T.1A

Want : F-14 Tomcat, Yak-52, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, F-5E, MiG-21Bis, F-86F, MAC, F-16C, F-15E.

will have support DirectX 12 or AMD mantle for R9 290X ?

It would be way too early to start using DX12 which is not properly released yet and which needs new driver model (WDDM2.0) in Windows 10.

Limiting support to one specific OS version would be silly before it is used in the market.

"I would have written a shorter post, but I did not have the time."

We'll see if DX12 actually brings real world improvements, not just on microsofts powerpoint slides.

DX10 brought a few new features but was mainly a hoax to force gamers to get Vista.

Someone hacked Crysis to use DX9 and it looked almost exactly like the DX10 version.

We'll see if DX12 actually brings real world improvements, not just on microsofts powerpoint slides.

DX10 brought a few new features but was mainly a hoax to force gamers to get Vista.

Someone hacked Crysis to use DX9 and it looked almost exactly like the DX10 version.

Lower level GPU access and CPU overhead reductions are pretty much key features to DX12. With MS facing genuine competition this time around, it would be stupid of them to not accomplish those goals.

Lower level GPU access and CPU overhead reductions are pretty much key features to DX12. With MS facing genuine competition this time around, it would be stupid of them to not accomplish those goals.

They are also key features to DX11 as well.. That was the point of going to DX11.

DX12 is not yet available and keep in mind that Microsoft will only be releasing it to their newest OS which is going to be Windows 10... ED will not have the time / resources to code for DX12 at this point in time and not really any reason to if the only people that can use it are folks on Windows 10.

Makes a LOT more sense to support DX11 and keep your customer base than to shoot for a standard that isn't even carved out yet and alienate 3/4 of your customer base...

"Pride is a poor substitute for intelligence."

RAMBO

not mean to be rude but , to be honest , I do not give a damn for DirectX 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 :D

I want to see AMD mantle in dcs.

Don't hold your breath.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

They are also key features to DX11 as well.. That was the point of going to DX11.

DX12 is not yet available and keep in mind that Microsoft will only be releasing it to their newest OS which is going to be Windows 10... ED will not have the time / resources to code for DX12 at this point in time and not really any reason to if the only people that can use it are folks on Windows 10.

Makes a LOT more sense to support DX11 and keep your customer base than to shoot for a standard that isn't even carved out yet and alienate 3/4 of your customer base...

DX11 did offer a sort of low level access via direct compute but only good for specialized rendering tasks, still had CPU overhead but provided improved multi-threaded rendering. Slow adoption and poor developer implementation didn't allow DX11 to shine as much until Dice's Frostbite engine and Crytek's Cryengine 3.

Realistically anyone that is planning on playing DCS 2.0 has/needs Win 7 or better, which makes Win 10 free. Not that it should have any bearing on what ED does with Edge, but the supposed DX11->DX12 conversion SDK could be of some benefit.

Here is a part of a quote of 1 of PCars developper:

it has vastly improved multi threaded scaling
Do you think that getting 9 women pregnant will get you a baby in 1 month?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Mobo: Asus P8P67 deluxe Monitor: Lg 22'' 1920*1080

CPU: i7 2600k@ 4.8Ghz +Zalman CNPS9900 max

Keyboard: Logitech G15

GPU:GTX 980 Strix Mouse: Sidewinder X8

PSU: Corsair TX750w Gaming Devices: Saytek X52, TrackIr5

RAM: Mushkin 2x4gb ddr3 9-9-9-24 @1600mhz

Case: 690 SSD: Intel X25m 80gb

Hello all, I have a decision to make shortly, either a Hotas Warthog, or a GTX 970, can't do both, so if I can run DCS1 with mostly high settings at about 60fps am I likely to see a significant frame rate drop with DCS2 ? I know it's probably speculation at the minute, but you guy's know alot more about this stuff than I do ! Thanks in advance.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

not mean to be rude but , to be honest , I do not give a damn for DirectX 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 :D

I want to see AMD mantle in dcs.

see the tests this link

:pilotfly:

Seeing as most people in the flight sim community have Nvidia cards (because most sims are better optimized for Nvidia), DirextX 12 will be very good for ED to put some time into. Most people would benefit from DirectX 12.

Ryan Smith from Anandtech actually compared DX12 vs Mantle. Mantle still is faster on AMD cards, however, DX12 is still in a very early stage, and most cards tested were still AMD cards, so naturally will benefit more from an AMD optimized Mantle.

Source: http://www.anandtech.com/show/8962/the-directx-12-performance-preview-amd-nvidia-star-swarm/6

Give DX12 some time. I'm not saying to trust on DX12, but DX12 will probably be the best thing to implement in DCS rather than Mantle. Nevertheless, DX12 is not here yet, it will take a while before it's finished. Then it could still take ages before ED implement it in DCS 2 (perhaps even DCS 3, who knows)

As for the topic question, I believe it's only DX11, which is why I think ED posted that poll about everyone's graphics card and whether they support DX11. So far, only 3.4% of those who polled had an older graphics card, so I would think ED would make it DX11 only.

Source: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=126222

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hello all, I have a decision to make shortly, either a Hotas Warthog, or a GTX 970, can't do both, so if I can run DCS1 with mostly high settings at about 60fps am I likely to see a significant frame rate drop with DCS2 ? I know it's probably speculation at the minute, but you guy's know alot more about this stuff than I do ! Thanks in advance.

If you have enough power, which you appearently have, I'd definitely go with the Warthog, it's one of the best if not the best investement you can buy for DCS.