Is DCS membership growing or shrinking?

fitness88

i wish there was a persistent stat system in DCS.

i think that will drive alot more new people to play.

although i think dedicated DCS players dont care for it.

shoot, all the effort to take off and manage to get kills, i would like to see my track record kept online!

i think thats what makes warthunder appealing.

Cliffs of dover doesnt have persistent stats. it is a popular sim shooter but it also lacks players, whom of which go in and out like DCS players

I know it's a bit off topic but I just had to argue against this.

Online stats makes modding and custom missions impossible.

So it's either mods/custom missions OR online stats.

Here's a few examples..

---Battlefield genre---

@Battlefield 2

Highly modded, it is stil played by thousands each day. (Project Reality) Unmodded, it wouldnt be.

@Battlefield 3/4

Modding is 100% no go since stats, unlocks and DLC's became the stuff kids want.

---GTA genre---

@Grand theft auto 4.

Highly modded, being able to mess around in multiplayer with friends in a highly modded game - being as free as you want to.

@Grand theft auto 5.

Mods only singleplayer. Multiplayer modding will get you banned because of... Online stats system.

---Flight sims---

@IL2 cliffs of dover.

Probably wouldnt be played as much as it does without team fusion mod. Team fusion mod wouldnt work with online stats as it turns IL2cod to a entire different game.

ILbos is a great example.

In all cases, the main reason is that stats can't be kept under control if the game isnt locked to be as the developers want it to be, so every player has 100% the same user interface.

All im saying is...

Eagle dynamics - don't you even think about it! :D

Edited by <Grizzly>

It's really easy to check a company growth. Just check invoices numbering thru time.

But instead of doing this, I suggest we keep rolling as at community by sharing wags and talented people's videos, and inviting people to try the game.

Flight simulation, after a tough decade, is really picking up. :pilotfly:

IL-2 Forgotten battles:

Mods are allowed, usable mods can be enforced by the dedicated server, different levels of protection against unapproved mods selectable by the dedicated server, stats system user made, using sql and php, again, up to the dedicated server admin if they want to use a back end database or not...

Edited by Hadwell

My youtube channel Remember: the fun is in the fight, not the kill, so say NO! to the AIM-120.

System specs:ROG Maximus XI Hero, Intel I9 9900K, 32GB 3200MHz ram, EVGA 1080ti FTW3, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVME, 27" Samsung SA350 1080p, 27" BenQ GW2765HT 1440p, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p G-SYNC

Controls: Saitekt rudder pedals,Virpil MongoosT50 throttle, warBRD base, CM2 stick, TrackIR 5+pro clip, WMR VR headset.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

People will come when Hornet and Typhoon get there.

But EDGE will bring the first wave of prey to hunt online. :)

i7 2600k -- Noctua NH-D14--Asrock Z75 Pro3--ASUS GTX970 Strix --16Go Ripjaws X 1333--Thermaltake Smart M650--CoolerMaster Silencio 652S--AOC E2752VQ-- Sandisk Extreme II 480GB--Saitek X-52 Pro --SAITEK PZ35 Pedals

To be fair you left out the part that for BF3/4 and GTA5 its much more than just stats. Player progression, unlocks, and accessibility is all tied into what the player does. You don't have access to weapons or accessories until you reach a certain rank or do a certain amount with a given item. Last I checked you don't have to have 5 hour flight time and 10 aim-9M kills to get access to an Amraam in DCS. :music_whistling:

I generally do agree that in practice a global stats system with the current DCS implementation could lead to stat padding via the open nature of the game. Hell if all my stats were tracked from testing random things in an official capacity or just mission building it'd heavily alter my actual "gametime" stats. However its mostly just a question how you want to use a given system and the importance you place on said system. I'd be perfectly content with comparing friends stats or just looking at the heavy users stats to see what makes their numbers so great.

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

It wouldn't be a problem if it was the log book, and it just recorded stuff for you like it does in SP, so people that care about it can have it.

also BF2 had all kinds of stats and unlocks, it's just people didn't give a damn.

Is DCS membership growing or shrinking?

I think both.

1. Growing - is growing because of the increasing influx of people from the gamer community who like to try all and DCS and now looks like a '' of everything on offer ''. Yes, instead of an orderly and purposeful simulator people have the opportunity to click alternately various aircraft and play in it from the superficial curiosity rather than passion for a certain type of aircraft. These are short trips greatly affect the quality it offered content in Multiplayer. People bought various modules but want to try them on popular server and expected that from mission maker and server owner. These compromises affect the quality, whether you admit it or not.

2. Shrinking - Yes, more old simers withdraw from the chaos. If a man wants a modern A2A - how to fly on a server full of bombers, helicopters, training aircrafts, aircrafts from ww2... or vice versa? If we add to that the technical things that are expected of a modern aircraft such as problems with missiles, avionics... ppl quickly lose interest. Not only modern aircrafts pilots, and other pilots are not interested to fight against all that variety in missions. Therefore, more and more people flying single payer or will not fly at all.

Someone is satisfied with this and some do not, depends on how you see this our community - gamer or simer.

Personally, I would like to be less gamer opportunities and excursions. This can be resolved by a dedicated server/mission type ''willy - nilly''. Definitely need to separate things and thus we get the quality.

:pilotfly:

Немој ништа силом, узми већи чекић!

MSI Tomahawk MAX | Ryzen 7 3700x | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | RX 5700 XT OC Red Dragon 8GB | VPC Throttle CM3 + VPC Constellation ALPHA on VPC WarBRD Base | HP Reverb G2

Youtube Follow Me on TWITCH! 

---Flight sims---

@IL2 cliffs of dover.

Probably wouldnt be played as much as it does without team fusion mod. Team fusion mod wouldnt work with online stats as it turns IL2cod to a entire different game.

ILbos is a great example./QUOTE]

You can find your online ATAG pilot stats on their website. And you can't use a non-Team Fusion mod on the ATAG servers. Disallowing mods also has to do with preventing cheating. This is why some DCS servers run integrity checks.

Edited by emg

Data point of one, but I ditched playing through Steam so I could get earlier access to patches and new modules. I suspect a lot of people that may have originally found DSC via Steam have done the same.

I play pretty much exclusively single player currently, as I don't have a lot of time to dedicate to getting to know vSquadron mates and familiarizing myself with a lot of the necessary procedures for efficient communication with teammates. Maybe some day...

I got my first sim experience with Jane's F/A-18. I remember how close the community was then. A lot of that had to do with the 3rd party chat room called Hyper Lobby that allowed all simers from all sims to chat openly and get to know each other also you could launch from the same chat room after just meeting someone. Not to compare the flight modelling technology from then to now but it was a lot of fun. Mission building and planning played a big part that allowed co-op missions to run into the early morning hours with full comms. Lock On was the competition when it first came out and many moved there because of the improved flight modelling and graphics.

I must say that DCS offers a lot and has great potential for community play, but I miss those good old days.

Edited by fitness88

• 1 month later...
according to steam charts the player base has been steadily decreasing:

http://steamcharts.com/app/223750

I quit playing the steam version because it didnt tecognize modules i purchased from the website.

That's just steam though... that doesn't necessarily mean anything. For all we know people just moved from steam to the standalone.

I'm not saying you're wrong but take it with a grain of salt.