A decade on ED Forums

Bucic

So, here it is, a decade has passed. :yay:

Although I consider anything pre-AFM a waste of time it was great to watch FC evolve into DCS with AFM and beyond. Not to mention what awaits us in 2016!

The simulator aside, I'm glad I'm a part of this community. I have learned so much here. Even though I'm an educated aerospace engineer I can name more than one subject I've learned more about here than during my college years. During my work as a tech documentation translator for a helicopter company there wasn't a day I didn't use the knowledge I've acquired while lurking through the forums or learning Black Shark. Since the advent of DCS Black Shark the forums are crawling with subject matter experts in several fields, all eager to help, share knowledge.

There was also a countless number of topics loosely related to DCS or even simulators in general I have found here. I hope the diversity will be embraced and no strict policy regarding that is going to be applied. This would be such a loss, in my opinion.

For all of this I sincerely thank the community and ED for being at the core of all of this and by bringing the genre back to life, transformed! :thumbup:

PS. The only other community I value this high would be the A2A Simulations Community - Battle of Britain "Wings of Victory" A community of mature dedicated gentlemen I highly respect.

Edited by Bucic

Congrats ;)

ChromiumDis.png

Author of DSMC, mod to enable scenario persistency and save updated miz file

Stable version & site: https://dsmcfordcs.wordpress.com/

Openbeta: https://github.com/Chromium18/DSMC

The thing is, helicopters are different from planes. An airplane by it's nature wants to fly, and if not interfered with too strongly by unusual events or by a deliberately incompetent pilot, it will fly. A helicopter does not want to fly. It is maintained in the air by a variety of forces in opposition to each other, and if there is any disturbance in this delicate balance the helicopter stops flying; immediately and disastrously.

Some times i wonder if there is anyone who is able to play DCS without these forums.

I've got over 9 to go before i get to a decade!

"Long life It is a waste not to notice that it is not noticed that it is milk in the title." Amazon.co.jp review for milk translated from Japanese

"Amidst the blue skies, A link from past to future. The sheltering wings of the protector..." - ACE COMBAT 4

"Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight"-Psalm 144:1 KJV

i5-4430 at 3.00GHz, 8GB RAM, GTX 1060 FE, Windows 7 x64

Cheers Bucic!

I dont know if you remember me but you were one of the earliest guys i started flying with in the Su27 when I started with Flaming Cliffs 2. You also playtested some of my early embarrassing attempts with the ME.

Congrats on 10 years and thanks for being a level headed fellow when I was learning

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

"This was not in the Manual I did not read", cried the Noob" - BMBM, WWIIOL

Some times i wonder if there is anyone who is able to play DCS without these forums.

I've got over 9 to go before i get to a decade!

Isn't it true! The forums/community should be right there on the DCS main site, mentioned in the features list ;)

Cheers Bucic!

I dont know if you remember me but you were one of the earliest guys i started flying with in the Su27 when I started with Flaming Cliffs 2. You also playtested some of my early embarrassing attempts with the ME.

Congrats on 10 years and thanks for being a level headed fellow when I was learning

I don't think I do, sorry. I don't even recall being knowledgeable with the 27 at all! What the hell were I attempting to teach you?! :D

Edited by Bucic

"S!

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"

Great thoughts Bucic and congratulations to you and all those "old bods" that have reached that 10 years.

Regards

DL available skins here:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/?CREATED_BY=Strut

Pictures of my Skins here: https://imgur.com/a/bOQyQqW

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64bit, Intel® Core i7-5820K CPU OC @ 4.50GHz x6, X99A GAMING PRO CARBON, MSI RTX 2080 TI GAMING X TRIO 11Gb, 32GB DDR4 RAM, SSD 960 EVO250GB, SSD 850 EVO 500GB, JetSeat, MFG Crosswind Pedals, VPC Mongoose T-50, TMWH, DSD ButtonBox, Pimax 5k XR/BE

Congratulations for a decade on the forum!

Can't believe I've also been here for half a decade.

I agree, the forum is a very important part of DCS and, at times, a lot more time-consuming than the actual simulation. ;)

Edit: PS, since this turns into a wishlist, I'll take that 2.0 alpha access as well, please. :D

Congrats!...

And I want to say I'm one of those who check his join date after this thread. :D

Intel i7-14700@5.6GHz | MSI RTX4080 Super SuprimX | Corsair V. 32GB@6400MHz. | Samsung 1TB 990 PRO SSD (Win10Homex64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

4 more years to be in your shoes. I agree with all the above. To me, simulation was a dubious move considering my arcade-ish precedence before actually getting a taste of LOMAC FC2.

The mere thought that one can actually feel what is happening in a simulator can best be described by being a member of that boat. Even though I never joined army, as a kid I loved all things related to military life. This intensified after LOMAC, because before it, I was like god mode, but then realism adds a fun factor to me.

Also, Ka-50 was my first purchase from ED, and I was in awe after trying it out. I have 192 steam account hours on the shark alone. The support we get from this community, the maturity, the diligence, and of course - the quirks and goofs....

I'm very proud to have my fate as a DCS man. The only simulator with realism based focus and military air doctrine. The wealth of information, the guidance from all members on this forum, the support, the running into friends at weird times, the suspension... well done ladies and gentlemen. BRAVO!

Bucic, sorry to have jacked your thread, but I call a spade, a spade, anytime.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

A decade here also, although I didn't really start being active here until BS1(2009-2010). We have come a long ways!

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

A decade here also, although I didn't really start being active here until BS1(2009-2010). We have come a long ways!

Yeah, BS1 was a turning point for me as well. I spent far too many hours flying the shark. When I sold my controls guess what. Not a week has passed and I was back on it... by responding to noob questions almost every day for some time! :)

And I want to say I'm one of those who check his join date after this thread. :D

To me it's also funny how some of the venerable forum members have just always been there even to a vet like me. Nate--IRL--, Panzertard, Groove and few others. Kind of like grandparents :)

Bucic, sorry to have jacked your thread, but I call a spade, a spade, anytime.

Oh, don't mind me! Anyone with a decent mileage on ED Forums is welcome to make this topic his topic, along with aspiring youngsters making comments of their own :thumbup: With the exeption of the Alpha access remark. This one is just for me! :D

Edited by Bucic

Congratulations! 10 years closer to the inevitable death :devil_2:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, MSI MEG X570 UNIFY (AM4, AMD X570, ATX), Noctua NH-DH14, EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti XC3 ULTRA, Seasonic Focus PX (850W), Kingston HyperX 240GB, Samsung 970 EVO Plus (1000GB, M.2 2280), 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600 DIMM CL16, Cooler Master 932 HAF, Samsung Odyssey G5; 34", Win 10 X64 Pro, Track IR, TM Warthog, TM MFDs, Saitek Pro Flight Rudders

10+ Here to:thumbup: Time Fly's:pilotfly: when your having Fun!!!!!:megalol::joystick::music_whistling:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] SMOKE'M:smoke: IF YA GOT'M!:gun_rifle:

H2o Cooler I7 9700k GA 390x MB Win 10 pro

Evga RTX 2070 8Gig DD5

32 Gig Corsair Vengence, 2T SSD.

TM.Warthog:joystick: :punk:, CV-1:matrix:,3x23" monitors, Tm MFD's, Saitek pro rudders wrapped up in 2 sheets of plywood:megalol: