Open Conflict - Server Information

Mirknir

Especially the wind, yes. They are a bit exaggerated.

Try living on The Wash - what you get on this server is like a calm summer's day in comparison!

Oh - and the RAF/USAF do a load of bombing here on the shore ranges. (look up RAF Holbeach)

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

SO many complaints about epic dynamic weather that Mirknir created. Do you guys think it's just clear and no wind every day in reality? This is a SIM remember? Sack up! And :pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]1000 miles of road will take you around town, a 1000 feet of runway can take you around the world...unless your in a Huey, you can go anywhere with no runway in a Huey!

multiplayer name ''DustOff=3=6''

Wind is fine. But when GBU-12 can't hit a target because of it, maybe we should try a little less.. There was 40kts wind at 5000ft (not sure about 9000 i dropped my bombs from) when i tried according to my CDU. Not a single one of 5 had hit the target. Even when stationary. One time my gun pipper was out of the HUD because of how sideways I was. Not speaking of very low clouds which makes engaging ground targets even harder.

Yes, there can be 40kts wind at 5000ft, but would A10 go on a sortier to destroy a convoy on a day like that? I don't think so.

So please, turn it down a bit so ground pounders can have their fun. Weather is something I very much like about this server, because you change it and that gives me a different experience each time i fly, but the one right one is pretty extreme for a lot of aircraft i think.

Have a nice day.

Smash 1-1 | Hawk

I vote for crappy weather, and while on subject trow in some night time between the restarts as well.

I just don't understand the fuel "(dis)balance" concept. Even though I enjoy the Flanker the most, I could just load 80% fuel if I start with 0% like the Eagle. there is a AWACS so you really never need that much fuel to locate and get a kill. :)

But anyways I don't agree with the whole FC3 need to start with low fuel. It is just a sim/game, get over it.

Just my 2cents.

Have a nice Weekend.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Flying is indeed a ton of fun in this wind, employing weapons is.. interesting as cicimicikiller stated. Guided bombs really seem to struggle in this conditions. Even trusty GBU38 missed a target the other day. Things improved with using the LASTE wind correction in the A10, or correcting manually.

CBUs are unusable though.. them little chutes go on a nice little journey instead of doing their work :lol:

One time my gun pipper was out of the HUD because of how sideways

Yes, there can be 40kts wind at 5000ft, but would A10 go on a sortier to destroy a convoy on a day like that? I don't think so.

Oh noes! We cant fight a war today it's windy! I guess we will just have to let those soldiers in contact die because we can't operate one of our most capable ground attack aircraft....really dude? The a10 is more than capable to operate in windy conditions. It just may not be as easy for you to point at shoot. You will probably have to outfit yourself with different weapons however. There is also manual and programmable wind correction inputs that can be made. As for gun straffing it's even more simple, don't do an attack run with a cross wind and problem solved. These are the reasons it's good for people to experience flying in wind so they learn new things. But to just give up and say the wind would make everyone call a time out in war is slightly ridiculous.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]1000 miles of road will take you around town, a 1000 feet of runway can take you around the world...unless your in a Huey, you can go anywhere with no runway in a Huey!

I just aim the tgp at the lowest front point of the target that I can to help compensate against the bomb flying over. I was able to hit 3 out of 4 drops with GBUs on the oil platform last night

=============================

i7 5820k | 32GB RAM | Nvidia 2070RTX | 1TB SSD

Oh noes! We cant fight a war today it's windy! I guess we will just have to let those soldiers in contact die because we can't operate one of our most capable ground attack aircraft....really dude? The a10 is more than capable to operate in windy conditions. It just may not be as easy for you to point at shoot. You will probably have to outfit yourself with different weapons however. There is also manual and programmable wind correction inputs that can be made. As for gun straffing it's even more simple, don't do an attack run with a cross wind and problem solved. These are the reasons it's good for people to experience flying in wind so they learn new things. But to just give up and say the wind would make everyone call a time out in war is slightly ridiculous.

Imma load up a Huey and go on a shootin' spree tonight.

Win 10 | i7 4770 @ 3.5GHz | 32GB DDR3 | 6 GB GTX1060

I knew there will be some expert trying to teach me how to fly, probably because i have only 5 posts on this forum so I must be noob. Thank you for your constructive criticism. As long as i know weather corrections are pointless for laser guided bombs.

Also if you want to play "real war" here, then our soldiers would all be f****d, because my TGP can't see through 8000ft thick layer of clouds and laser designate a moving tank.

Oh and please enlighten me, what weapon should i use to destroy four T90s and two shilkas moving in convoy. (remember, in reality A10s fly with 2, max 4 mavericks missiles). What would be your weapon of choice except GBU12 for a heavily armed moving target?

And of course you assumed i want wind totaly turned off, which i did not say, but what can I expect...

I should stay of the forums as I always do, exactly because smartasses like you.

Smash 1-1 | Hawk

I just aim the tgp at the lowest front point of the target that I can to help compensate against the bomb flying over. I was able to hit 3 out of 4 drops with GBUs on the oil platform last night

Yeah i was thinking something more like a moving tank, i use JDAMs for big static objects.

Smash 1-1 | Hawk

Mirk, bit of a request, I was wondering if there was an option for 2 or so more m2ks on each side since they are a nice multi-role but seem to have gotten very popular, especially since the winter sale. I know we've limited them to reduce the amount of aa but some of us also like to ground pound in them so would be awesome to have more. Is there any stats from the server to indicate what isn't being used perhaps so we could reduce this down?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I vote for crappy weather, and while on subject trow in some night time between the restarts as well.

I just don't understand the fuel "(dis)balance" concept. Even though I enjoy the Flanker the most, I could just load 80% fuel if I start with 0% like the Eagle. there is a AWACS so you really never need that much fuel to locate and get a kill. :)

But anyways I don't agree with the whole FC3 need to start with low fuel. It is just a sim/game, get over it.

Just my 2cents.

Have a nice Weekend.

There are plenty of other servers where you can go "Airquake" if you like. The 104th has a great server for that. But those of us that fly the the full fidelity modules, there is quite a bit of start up time involved before we can get into the action. The starting fuel level is an attempt to somewhat even out the time it takes for everyone to get going.

My very unpopular wish is a server similar to OC with all the quick start FC3 fighters removed from the mission. I would host a server like this if I had any idea how to create a server. And I would be willing to bet I am not the only one that would like a server like this.

i7-7700K @ 5.2Ghz

SLI 1080Ti

64GB GSkill Trident Z RGB 4133

Asus Maximus IX Extreme

Custom Water Cooling Loop

TM Warthog/ MFG Crosswind

I knew there will be some expert trying to teach me how to fly, probably because i have only 5 posts on this forum so I must be noob. Thank you for your constructive criticism. As long as i know weather corrections are pointless for laser guided bombs.

Also if you want to play "real war" here, then our soldiers would all be f****d, because my TGP can't see through 8000ft thick layer of clouds and laser designate a moving tank.

Oh and please enlighten me, what weapon should i use to destroy four T90s and two shilkas moving in convoy. (remember, in reality A10s fly with 2, max 4 mavericks missiles). What would be your weapon of choice except GBU12 for a heavily armed moving target?

And of course you assumed i want wind totaly turned off, which i did not say, but what can I expect...

I should stay of the forums as I always do, exactly because smartasses like you.

The SALT is reallllll lol

You obviously have a reading problem, all I said was you would need to refit your load out. Take 2 Mavericks kill the shilka, use the cannon for the rest. Just be sure to strafe with the wind to your back or head on. The damn gun was DESIGNED to kill tanks. And OMG only 2 Mavericks?! What about flyin back to base to rearm!? Gasp!

There are plenty of other servers where you can go "Airquake" if you like. The 104th has a great server for that. But those of us that fly the the full fidelity modules, there is quite a bit of start up time involved before we can get into the action. The starting fuel level is an attempt to somewhat even out the time it takes for everyone to get going.

My very unpopular wish is a server similar to OC with all the quick start FC3 fighters removed from the mission. I would host a server like this if I had any idea how to create a server. And I would be willing to bet I am not the only one that would like a server like this.

I dream nightly of OC with no FC3 modules....except Mirknirs su27 of course ;)

Open Conflict 2017

- Open Conflict - Skynet ReGenisis -

Hello guys,

First off, happy new year and I wish you all another year of happy flying:pilotfly:

I am back from vacation and I think it's time to do a "small" post about the status of the server and where I would like to go next.

Now, about the server

First off, for new people here, lemme tell you a bit about that Open Conflict.

It is a free server I develop on my free time and host for everyone to enjoy.

I have a job and a life so my free time on OC is limited and not everything can be delivered as fast as I would like :)

I also have limited funds ; that why the server is opened to donation.

Even with limited means and time, I love to host the server for many reasons but at the center of all of them are you guys, the players and the stories.

Now, about this thread.

I've created this thread to communicate with OC players but also for them to communicate with me.

DCS has grown so much and my fly-time being limited, I appreciate all your constructive feedback and suggestion and some of the best ideas in Open Conflict originated from here.

I also try to keep this thread positive and respectful to encourage the conversation.

Pure whine is of course not welcomed and rarely listened to as it doesn't really provide information or make the server progress.

I like and will continue experimenting with all sort of stuff and a proper conversation can be so much more enriching for me as I don't fly everything and make content that I can complete.

Example: "I had trouble flying my <aircraft> name when starting at <airport name>" is already so much more information than "This crap weather is getting old". :)

Now about Skynet and the map

First off, the experimentation I've been doing on the next version of Skynet have been successful and I can now talk about it a bit more.

This past year, I've been struggling to improve Skynet to the level I want it to be for one main reason: the lua scripting language.

LUA is a nice scripting language but it also has a lot of disadvantages that make it really counter productive and error prone with a project of Skynet size (around 20k lines of code).

Adding feature to Skynet has become very time consuming in dev and test and it's not working well with my new schedule.

Using a framework developed by Vyrtuoz for Tacview and DArt for LotAtc, I can now migrate Skynet to the more powerful programming language C++.

Without going to deep in boring details, C++ is just a better tools as it's a proper and powerful programming language and it's the one I use daily at my job.

Long story long, migrating Skynet to C++ will take me some time but in the process, it will give Skynet more power to do more advanced features and give me a more powerful and fast tool to debug and test.

With this new power, I want to add more meaning to the map with base capture, more dynamic objectives, more group missions and more strategy for players.

I have a lot of ideas on how to go toward this direction, some proposed by you guys, like:

• Better communication channels depending on your aircrafts role
  • Base capture
  • Supporting assault infantry
  • Player calling for help
  • Objective under attack calling for help
  • Objective SAMS reporting enemy detected aircrafts
  • Skynet own AWACS or EWR system that will report to everyone the same and ignore some weaker or protected aircrafts
  • Fog of War on detailed information, recons

I know, it's a lot but I don't think impossible.

Anyways, it's still a long way to release but as I was saying earlier in 'about the thread', don't hesitate to post your ideas like some people already did even if they seems crazy cause even if they are, they can spark more.

It can be stuff you would like to do, something you would like Skynet to do,

something to fix a problem...

Let's say FC3 aircrafts are a bother for you ; try to think about a change in context that would make them less a bother to you ; maybe a more dangerous SAM filled conflict zone ; maybe an AWACS mode that better report thread coming on you, maybe a feature to better call for support and guide help to you....

Thanks for reading this wall of text :thumbup:

And yea, the wind will calm down in next map version

Edited by Mirknir
  • Like 1

Mirknir

My old server:

The Thread

The SALT is reallllll lol

You obviously have a reading problem, all I said was you would need to refit your load out. Take 2 Mavericks kill the shilka, use the cannon for the rest. Just be sure to strafe with the wind to your back or head on. The damn gun was DESIGNED to kill tanks. And OMG only 2 Mavericks?! What about flyin back to base to rearm!? Gasp!

You also said to use wind correction which is pointless for GBU12s and that makes me question your knowledge of A10C. Do you even fly it? Good luck with a gun on moving T90s with a hurricane in your back.

You also said "in real life" they fly no matter what wind for CAS, which also total BS.

Oh and yes. "Stand by guys, I'll be back in 40 with 2 more missiles"

But i see, you have answer for everything and I'm salty.

I did not really came to this thread to listen to someone telling me so smart things like "use your gun, don fly crosswind with gun, go back to rearm." Thank you, without this valuable hints which really did not come up in my head and that I've never done, i would be totally lost! I

I came here to react and state my oppinion to the server admin.

As to suggestions, maybe update the first page of this thread with current server information (weather etc)?

First time i was flying this server i was a bit confused about where to find information about current mission.

Smash 1-1 | Hawk

You also said to use wind correction which is pointless for GBU12s and that makes me question your knowledge of A10C. Do you even fly it? Good luck with a gun on moving T90s with a hurricane in your back.

You also said "in real life" they fly no matter what wind for CAS, which also total BS.

I did not really came to this thread to listen to someone telling me so smart things like "use your gun, don fly crosswind with gun, go back to rearm." Thank you, without this valuable hints which really did not come up in my head and that I've never done, i would be totally lost! I

As to suggestions, maybe update the first page of this thread with current server information (weather etc)?

First time i was flying this server i was a bit confused about where to find information about current mission.

You will probably have to outfit yourself with different weapons however. There is also manual and programmable wind correction inputs that can be made.

As for gun straffing it's even more simple, don't do an attack run with a cross wind and problem solved.

These are the reasons it's good for people to experience flying in wind so they learn new things.

Like I said, reading problem.

Check the server briefing Left Alt +B (really hard)

Then take your salt elsewhere:thumbup:

Edited by acdelta57
  • Like 1

I designed the server so that every information you need is on the server when you play ; in the mission briefing or in Skynet chat / radio commands / text popups.

I change and experiment often with a a lot of things so I prefer to spend my time and focus my effort in having the information in-game instead of on an outside media like a website that would be bound to not be up-to-date.

The in-game briefing has overview (text and picture) information about the rules, the weather, the mission and the access to Skynet radio and menu commands (type -help in chat)

I would agree that DCS put, in the briefing, a lot of clutter information that none cares about (like the available slots) and that sometimes prevent people from seeing the important information I put in.

However, with a little patience, you should get the information you need ingame. :thumbup:

Mirknir

My old server:

The Thread

If the Soviets are bearing down on you and there is a 40 knot crosswind woukd you just not fly that day? As for guns put the wind to your back hit the pack and put some rounds on them, with the wind t your back it shouldn't effect the accuracy to terribly (I did it today in fact). Oh and I hate to break it to you, 30-40 knots is not a hurricane.

"Though I fly through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil. For I am 80,000 feet and climbing." -9th SRW Det. 1 Wing Ops, Kadena AFB, Okinawa, Japan

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i5-4460, 16GB of RAM, MSi GTX 970 Twin Frozr V, ASRock H97M Anniversary, 2x 1TB HDD, Fractal design Core 1100, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Corsair Vengeance K70, Razer Abyssus mouse, BenQ 1080P monitor.