DCS World 1.5 and 2.0 Discussion

NineLine

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to hear from anyone with a similar set-up to mine about hosting performance.

I'm currently running 1.2.16 on this rig with no issues at all and I want to put 1.5 OB on it (it'll be running the server only - I fly on a separate rig via LAN):

E6850 Core2Duo at 3.3GHz

4GB DDR2 at 1013MHz

GTX760 OC with 2GB VRAM

I'm sure the card will be okay - using render 3D=false flag - it's mainly the RAM I'm concerned about.

I'll have a test in SP - but hosting is another thing, of course.

Edited by Brixmis

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

Please move this post to the appropriate thread if you think it's important enough to get good visibility & doesn't belong here.

DCS is not one of the best but THE best imo flight simulation games. I've spent many hrs lookin through the forum and googling for game installation instructions. It's easy once you've figured it out & it's installed. In fact TO easy after you've set it up for the 1st time. It opens up a whole new world of flight simulation.

Just wonderin,,,,where would someone start if they wanted to install DCS who wasn't familiar setting up the software files. Just maybe a Sticky that has one or two sentences on "Starting Out" or "Installing the Software". Just wonderin!

The manual is great once all the files are correctly downloaded & installed.

Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Pro Gaming with Killer Networking & Sound Blaster Intel Motherboard / Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda T1000DM003 1TB SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5” HD / Processor: Intel i7-4770K @ 3.50GHz / Memory: 24 GB Ram / SSD: SAMSUNG 2TB SATA III 3-D Vertical Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-75E1T0B/AM / Samsung 42" Curved 4k MonitorControls: X-55 / Warthog / MFG Crosswind / VKB Mk.IV / TrackIR

Please move this post to the appropriate thread if you think it's important enough to get good visibility & doesn't belong here.

DCS is not one of the best but THE best imo flight simulation games. I've spent many hrs lookin through the forum and googling for game installation instructions. It's easy once you've figured it out & it's installed. In fact TO easy after you've set it up for the 1st time. It opens up a whole new world of flight simulation.

Just wonderin,,,,where would someone start if they wanted to install DCS who wasn't familiar setting up the software files. Just maybe a Sticky that has one or two sentences on "Starting Out" or "Installing the Software". Just wonderin!

The manual is great once all the files are correctly downloaded & installed.

It cannot be any easier to install. Two options.... download through steam.. search DCS world. Free download...install play. If you want 1.5 beta...go to game options in steam..select beta...it will automatically update it to beta version.

second option... go to digitalcombatsimulator.com. Follow the yellow download button. double click setup...follow instructions...play.

The thing that is time consuming is setting up your appropriate peripheral and its inputs in the options menu. Two aircraft are free to check out and fly around in. Depending on your interests u can then buy the appropriate aircraft if u want to check it out.

WHISPR | Intel I7 5930K | Nvidia GTX980 4GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR4 | Intel 730 series 512GB SSD | Thrustmaster WARTHOG | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR4 pro |

|A-10C|BS2 |CA|P-51 MUSTANG|UH-1H HUEY|MI-8 MTV2 |FC3|F5E|M2000C|AJS-37|FW190|BF 109K|Mig21|A-10:SSC,EWC|L-39|NEVADA|

"The thing that is time consuming is setting up your appropriate peripheral and its inputs in the options menu." True, it does take some time - if you get that far.

I don't want to sound like an idiot but my prob was tryin to figure out where (SSD or HD) to put what (downloaded files). I usually have a friend or relative help me out but everybody was out of town:( So I struggled for a wk to get the right hand talkin to the left hand, so to speak. Yeah, it was good for me to KNOW where everything is on my system. In fact, I still don't know if I put everything where it should go to make the game run efficiently. All I know for sure is it that when I click on "DCS" the game starts :) Heck, if you know what you're doin - 1/2 hr at tops!

Does it have to be that way? NOT so w/ other sims ie P3D, X-Plane, IL2, just to mention a couple.

Just sayin

Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Pro Gaming with Killer Networking & Sound Blaster Intel Motherboard / Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda T1000DM003 1TB SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5” HD / Processor: Intel i7-4770K @ 3.50GHz / Memory: 24 GB Ram / SSD: SAMSUNG 2TB SATA III 3-D Vertical Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-75E1T0B/AM / Samsung 42" Curved 4k MonitorControls: X-55 / Warthog / MFG Crosswind / VKB Mk.IV / TrackIR

Dang, good question & answers

So....any news on the next Q&A Video? (Subject?, ETA?) I really appreciate this kind of format and KUDOS to Wags and ED on implementing it.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

I'm blown away by the open beta so far. I completely stopped playing DCS for a while since performance was so poor on my new PC, which suffered from awful stutter, massive variations in FPS and was generally more effort than it was worth to get running properly. That's all changed now, whereas I was struggling to maintain 30-45fps in 1.2 I'm now getting anywhere from 60fps+ in the most dense areas to well over 120fps in low density areas. Absolutely amazing, the lightingis just perfect...

And to top it all off, I got my new Track IR today after my old one got lost in the move! Huzzah! :joystick:

Edited by 159th_LoneWolf
  • Like 1

I'm blown away by the open beta so far. I completely stopped playing DCS for a while since performance was so poor on my new PC, which suffered from awful stutter, massive variations in FPS and was generally more effort than it was worth to get running properly. That's all changed now, whereas I was struggling to maintain 30-45fps in 1.2 I'm now getting anywhere from 60fps+ in the most dense areas to well over 120fps in low density areas. Absolutely amazing, the lightning is just perfect...

And to top it all off, I got my new Track IR today after my old one got lost in the move! Huzzah! :joystick:

So exciting!

This latest hotfix wasn't the greatest for my setup, but I share your happiness about 1.5. Hotfix 4 will be a tonic I'm sure.

It has to rate up there with the top 3 greatest bits of software that a developer has ever given away for free.

It's mind boggling, really.

I'm gonna ask a really stupid question...does 1.5 REQUIRE a DX-11 card just to run? I am trying to set up a server on a second machine and can't even get 1.5 to boot past the splash screen.

Thanks

Sierra...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

I'm gonna ask a really stupid question...does 1.5 REQUIRE a DX-11 card just to run? I am trying to set up a server on a second machine and can't even get 1.5 to boot past the splash screen.

Thanks

Sierra...

If you disable d3d it should.

Don't ask me how you do that tho,

Thanks

Sierra...

The new graphics engine requires DX11. So unless you manage to get dcs running without graphics at all (so command line only) it will need a DX11 gpu. Unfortunately we have no way to run dcs on the command line yet. However, ED has announced that they will release a dedicated server which is usually command line only or with an optional graphical tool for configuration.

So yeah, without a dedicated server you need DX11 capable hardware. Maybe you can try buying an ond shitty DX11 gpu from ebay? The server shouldn't need a lot in the F10 map, right?

EDIT: Of course if you manage to run EDGE with DX9 or OpenGL that could help you as well but since EDGE was specifically made for DX11 i don't think it is possible to change the graphics API.

Edited by Oznerol256

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The new graphics engine requires DX11. So unless you manage to get dcs running without graphics at all (so command line only) it will need a DX11 gpu. Unfortunately we have no way to run dcs on the command line yet. However, ED has announced that they will release a dedicated server which is usually command line only or with an optional graphical tool for configuration.

So yeah, without a dedicated server you need DX11 capable hardware. Maybe you can try buying an ond shitty DX11 gpu from ebay? The server shouldn't need a lot in the F10 map, right?

EDIT: Of course if you manage to run EDGE with DX9 or OpenGL that could help you as well but since EDGE was specifically made for DX11 i don't think it is possible to change the graphics API.

Yeah...that's kinda what I was beginning to believe. And to be honest... Not too worried about it since I plane to upgrade my primary card once 2.0 is released so I can migrate that card to the server.

Thanks for the help.

Sierra

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

I would have thought that if you use the render 3D=false setting, that it wouldn't matter what card you use.

I've definitely read of people running servers from spare PCs using just the built-in Intel CPU graphics.

Might be worth giving it a try.

Although people talk of editing files in the sim folder, I just use a file added to user/Save Games/DCS/Config folder called "autoexec.cfg" with this line in it:

and that's it. When you start the server mission, you just see the GUI on a black screen.

Like I said, it might be worth a try.

Ohh interesting! Although newer Intel HD Graphics support DX11, so maybe it still needs DX11? Only one way to find out!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I deleted the post, but obviously not quick enough! Because I thought that if you are crashing already at the splash screen, this probably won't help you.

Maybe not. The new engine initializes the 3D engine right on startup. If the config you mentioned disables it completely it should still work.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It just disables the 3D part and works great for having my laptop run a server, even though it's not strong enough to run the full game.

But it doesn't work on my remote dedicated server (currently used to run a ROF server on). This remote machine has DX11 installed, but only has a very weak onboard GPU (Matrox G200eW), on start-up I get the DCS splash screen, followed shortly after by an APPCRASH dx11backend.dll error.

The error log shows this

"00000.378 ERROR DX11BACKEND: DX11Renderer::init() failed - D3D11CreateDevice() returned DXGI_ERROR_UNSUPPORTED"

It just disables the 3D part and works great for having my laptop run a server, even though it's not strong enough to run the full game.

But it doesn't work on my remote dedicated server (currently used to run a ROF server on). This remote machine has DX11 installed, but only has a very weak onboard GPU (Matrox G200eW), on start-up I get the DCS splash screen, followed shortly after by an APPCRASH dx11backend.dll error.

The error log shows this

"00000.378 ERROR DX11BACKEND: DX11Renderer::init() failed - D3D11CreateDevice() returned DXGI_ERROR_UNSUPPORTED"

Are you sure the remote machine is DX11 capable? What does dxdiag show?

If it does show DX11 it is strange and should work. If it doesnt it just means that the render 3D=false setting doesn't change the DX11 hardware requirement.

Edited by Oznerol256

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]