DCS World 1.5 and 2.0 Discussion

NineLine

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Need clarification on Beta 1.5 Graphics Options Please

After viewing the changelog for Beta 1.5, I seen that there were new graphics options added. I started searching both Google and within the DCS forums. To date I have not been able to find a simple explanation of what these setting actually do, and how they impact performance except for some understanding of DOF and some of the shadowing, I'm not as clear as I would like to be on some of these options. Does anyone know where I can find simple explanations for the following? Thanks

Options•Changed System / Graphics “Scenes” to “Terrain Textures”. Also changed to Low and High settings.

•Added “Ultra” setting to Visib Range. This is for high-end systems only.

•Added separate Low and High settings for Heat Blur.

•HDR now simply has On or Off settings.

•Depth of Field settings added.

•Lens Effects settings added.

•Clouds settings added (no affect until new clouds are implemented).

•Anisotropic Filtering settings added.

•Model Visibility settings added.

•Flat Terrain Shadows settings added.

•Tree Shadows setting removed.

•TSAA setting removed.

•Cockpit Shadows setting removed.

•Search option added to Controls

•F2 view camera effects settings added to Misc.

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

After viewing the changelog for Beta 1.5, I seen that there were new graphics options added. I started searching both Google and within the DCS forums. To date I have not been able to find a simple explanation of what these setting actually do, and how they impact performance except for some understanding of DOF and some of the shadowing, I'm not as clear as I would like to be on some of these options. Does anyone know where I can find simple explanations for the following? Thanks

Options•Changed System / Graphics “Scenes” to “Terrain Textures”. Also changed to Low and High settings.

•Added “Ultra” setting to Visib Range. This is for high-end systems only.

•Added separate Low and High settings for Heat Blur.

•HDR now simply has On or Off settings.

•Depth of Field settings added.

•Lens Effects settings added.

•Clouds settings added (no affect until new clouds are implemented).

•Anisotropic Filtering settings added.

•Model Visibility settings added.

•Flat Terrain Shadows settings added.

•Tree Shadows setting removed.

•TSAA setting removed.

•Cockpit Shadows setting removed.

•Search option added to Controls

•F2 view camera effects settings added to Misc.

visibility increases the visibility of buildings and other objects. So the distance at which u can see these objects is greater before they clip into view.

heat blur.... if u notice carefully...almost all aircraft (I think all) emit heat blur off their engine exhaust. I don't know if it is like the old heat blur (only at speeds below a certain threshold)... but the high setting is a more realistic heat blur that doesn't have a distinct cut off line of where the blur is drawn behind the exhaust

DOF...as u mentioned.... adds a camera "effect" of shallow depth of field in external views

lens effects... adds dust, lens flare (again artistic film effects) to external views and in the cockpit while looking at the sun

Clouds WIP

anisotropic filtering ... basically prevents the abrupt transition of low quality mip maps at shallow view angles... so if u are looking at the runway while take off...u look in the distance at the "parallax" pattern of the runway lines...it doesn't appear blurry.

model visibility ... increases distance at which the higher level of detail model is visible

flat terrain shadows... a more "resource light" version of shadows for drawing shadows on terrain. You will see its effects more in nevada and newer maps. I don't recall if the mountains in the current map draw these flat shadows

tree shadows have been removed as options...but they are directly included as part of the shadows option...visible at high and ultra IIRC

TSAA is removed because now with the DX11 executable...u have direct support for higher quality MSAA and QXAA

Cockpit shadows also merged into the single global shadows option...

reason for those removal is now the shadows aren't as resource hungry as in DCS 1xx .. so pretty much not much of a reason to turn them off

now you can also search for key bindings in controls. Super useful...rather than going through the pages..u can type the "target unlock" in search for example and the command shows up.....to change assignments

You now have option for a floaty or shaky F2 camera view...I personally can't tell the difference yet...but u can see it more in some of the videos made by our resident experts Glowing amraam and x-sounds.

• Like 1

WHISPR | Intel I7 5930K | Nvidia GTX980 4GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR4 | Intel 730 series 512GB SSD | Thrustmaster WARTHOG | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR4 pro |

|A-10C|BS2 |CA|P-51 MUSTANG|UH-1H HUEY|MI-8 MTV2 |FC3|F5E|M2000C|AJS-37|FW190|BF 109K|Mig21|A-10:SSC,EWC|L-39|NEVADA|

None Beta update - DCS World 2

Has their been a proposed DCS World 2 (stable) version release date been announced yet? I can't see any mention in the DCS main menu screen 'news items' about this.

Thanks...

Edited by IJammer

When they will release 1.5 for normal version?

In its current state, which is to be expected, Beta is still very buggy. Once the major issues (like game crashes) get resolved, we should expect transition to a "standard" 1.5.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commanding Officer of:

2nd Company 1st financial guard battalion "Mrcine"

See our squads here and our

Croatian radio chat for DCS World

When they will release 1.5 for normal version?

sithspawn said that, it would be released in a time between now (a few days ago) and november.

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

• ED Team
sithspawn said that, it would be released in a time between now (a few days ago) and november.

Between now and the release of 2.0 Beta, which is still planned for November sometime... as always, subject to change.

Its all about how smooth the 1.5 beta goes, we are due for another patch I think soon.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Thank you Witchking for your informative response!

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

now you can also search for key bindings in controls. Super useful...rather than going through the pages..u can type the "target unlock" in search for example and the command shows up.....to change assignments

Can you elaborate a little on this? I do not seem to be able to find this ability in the control menu? I am sure I am missing something very simple...

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Glad to help. I can show u more about that when I get home from work tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WHISPR | Intel I7 5930K | Nvidia GTX980 4GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR4 | Intel 730 series 512GB SSD | Thrustmaster WARTHOG | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR4 pro |

|A-10C|BS2 |CA|P-51 MUSTANG|UH-1H HUEY|MI-8 MTV2 |FC3|F5E|M2000C|AJS-37|FW190|BF 109K|Mig21|A-10:SSC,EWC|L-39|NEVADA|

A very nice addition!

1. access the dropdown list in the controls option

2. click "Search..."

3. type what you're searching for

4. magic occurs!

InDUhWp.jpg

Edited by Bourrinopathe

/// ВКБ: GF Pro MkII+MCG Pro/GF MkII+SCG L/Black Mamba MkIII/Gladiator/T-Rudder MkII | X-55 Rhino throttle/Saitek Throttle Quadrant | OpenTrack+UTC /// ZULU +4 ///

/// "THE T3ASE": i9 9900K | 64 GB DDR4 | RTX 2080ti OC | 2 TB NVMe SSDs, 1 TB SATA SSD, 12 TB HDDs | Gigabyte DESIGNARE mobo ///

Ah I see now - very nice, thanks!

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Between now and the release of 2.0 Beta, which is still planned for November sometime... as always, subject to change.

Its all about how smooth the 1.5 beta goes, we are due for another patch I think soon.

My Rig: EVGA GTX 1070 x 2 | EVGA x58 SLI classified | i7 X 990 CPU | 24 GB RAM | Windows 10 Home 64 bit| Track IR Pro | CH Fighter Stick | CH Throttle | CH Pro Pedals |

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nornal release day for patches?

Does anyone know what day patches are usually released on? I'm eagerly awaiting the patch that will fix the Oculus Rift crashes because the Devs have said this is fixed in update 3. That was over a week ago though and I've been checking for the patch most days since then. Are they usually released on a Friday or any day of the week?

• ED Team

ED will release the patch when it is ready, they are working hard to resolve current issues, all we can guess is it will be soon.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I feel sorry for you guys putting yourselves through the beta torture

No need. I haven't had this much fun with DCS for ages :thumbup:

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

It is a alpha beta whatever fact is you can't do full sorties in the rift in multiplayer because it's just not to that stage yet

It doesn't need to be at that stage yet because CV1 VR isn't even out yet. I'll be glad just to do free flight or now, minus the crashes obviously. I can get in at times and have a good flight now, but it will be much better when I don't crash on the load screen. They have fixed this with update 3 though, so not long to wait.

That is exactly my point they professed how great sli and vr is so much better but at least on the vr portion it's totally broken. So it's rather odd to me that they say something is functioning so much better but in reality it is not. Even sli is not producing what it should the graphic card vendors haven't even released updated game profiles for this 1.5 so we have a long way to go. I totally agree it looks great but it's nowhere near ready for a serious flight group to use for its training nor sorties.

Well it is functioning much better if you compare it with the old build. Unfortunately, VR has come at a time when we need much better hardware to run it. That's why we will only see a low res display when it's introduced next year. I think we will have to wait for the Geforce Pascal cards to arrive before we really start to move forward with VR.

There was talk of Nvidia bringing out a driver that would allow 2 cards in Sli to run a screen each for VR, but I've heard no more about that. Anyways, it's early days and ED can only work with what they've got.

Edited by Crunchy

@mtbikergt78 - This is what the Wags said last week in the DK2 thread. This is why they are having problems, but these might soon be fixed.

It should be much more stable in Update 3. I just ran 12 missions back to back without a crash.

The other big item we still need to resolve is the judder. Note that the judder is actually caused by timewarp. More precisely, it actually works only in orientation timewarp, but we have started experiments with positional timewarp by exporting the depth buffer to the Oculus runtime. Without this far distance, pixels are blended incorrectly in between two frames and this appears as image doubling.