DCS: AJS-37 Viggen Discussion

VEPR 12

Goes for both the Vigg Pilot and the receiving end in that autopilot mode :joystick:

For those less familiar with JA37's cannon: the aircraft had an automated aiming possibility where the aircraft's radar was used to aim the cannon (= the aircraft). It had the advantage that the pilot succesfully could open fire at a big distance, much earlier than the opponent, but it also lead to a very bumpy ride because the autopilot took over the steering.

How (s)low can you go

IIRC the autopilot takes control in pitch and yaw, but not in roll. It will tell you on the HUD what it wants you to do in the roll axis, though. No idea why they did it that way.

But no, the JA 37 isn't stellar in a sustained dogfight compared to other 80's fighters. No all-aspect heaters before, what, 1988?, no fancy off-boresight tricks like on the MiG-29 and the sustained turn rate isn't great, nor is the thrust anything special, and in a drawn-out fight the need to use very high afterburner thrust settings to keep speed up in turns shortens its already short legs pretty quickly.

BVR though it can be a pretty interesting opponent before 1990-ish, especially if not operating alone. The PS-46/A was a very good radar for its time, situational awareness is great with the tactical map screen and there's potential for buddy illumination for the Skyflash as well as other neat tricks. Only two radar missiles, though.

Edited by renhanxue

IIRC the autopilot takes control in pitch and yaw, but not in roll. It will tell you on the HUD what it wants you to do in the roll axis, though. No idea why they did it that way.

But no, the JA 37 isn't stellar in a sustained dogfight compared to other 80's fighters. No all-aspect heaters before, what, 1988?, no fancy off-boresight tricks like on the MiG-29 and the sustained turn rate isn't great, nor is the thrust anything special, and in a drawn-out fight the need to use very high afterburner thrust settings to keep speed up in turns shortens its already short legs pretty quickly.

BVR though it can be a pretty interesting opponent before 1990-ish, especially if not operating alone. The PS-46/A was a very good radar for its time, situational awareness is great with the tactical map screen and there's potential for buddy illumination for the Skyflash as well as other neat tricks. Only two radar missiles, though.

With the JA37D upgrades in the 90s and the addition of the Aim-120s it got some new life in it and once again made it more or less top of the line for a BVR engagement (The Datalink it had combined with the Aim-120 made for a Lethal Combination)

And i thought the RB 74 started reaching Swedish units in 1986? not 1988?.

Or was there an upgrade required on the JA 37 before it could use the

RB 74?.

Edited by mattebubben

With the JA37D upgrades in the 90s and the addition of the Aim-120s it got some new life in it and once again made it more or less top of the line for a BVR engagement (The Datalink it had combined with the Aim-120 made for a Lethal Combination)

And i thought the RB 74 started reaching Swedish units in 1986? not 1988?.

Or was there an upgrade required on the JA 37 before it could use the

RB 74?.

I may be remembering wrong. 1988 was the year I remembered but I can't remember where I saw it. May have been in SIPRI's arms transfer database or something.

Anyone lucky enough to have an early copy of the Viggen kind enough to take a screenshot of the stick amd throttle controls so we can start planning our button mapping on our HOTAS? ;)

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

i5 4590 @ 3.77GHz | GTX 1060 6GB | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 | 1TB HDD+500GB HDD | Win10 Home X64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Anyone lucky enough to have an early copy of the Viggen kind enough to take a screenshot of the stick amd throttle controls so we can start planning our button mapping on our HOTAS? ;)

Would that be wise or even possible before you have the actual aircraft available in your install?

How (s)low can you go

Would that be wise or even possible before you have the actual aircraft available in your install?

It is for the most part. Ive done it for nearly every module Ive prepurchased so far.

i5 4590 @ 3.77GHz | GTX 1060 6GB | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 | 1TB HDD+500GB HDD | Win10 Home X64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

you could consult the manual already available

Sorry for asking the same question a third time, but does anyone know if the Viggen has any HUD modes in which the pitch ladder isn't slaved to a waypoint? IIRC in landing mode you can "cage" the pitch ladder to the center of the HUD, but what about normal navigation?

DCS modules are built up to a spec, not down to a schedule.

In order to utilize a system to your advantage, you must know how it works.

Sorry for asking the same question a third time, but does anyone know if the Viggen has any HUD modes in which the pitch ladder isn't slaved to a waypoint? IIRC in landing mode you can "cage" the pitch ladder to the center of the HUD, but what about normal navigation?

It doesn't, strange as it may seem.

Edited by Justin Case
typo
http://www.masterarms.se A Swedish Combat Flight Simulator Community.

400 pages of chat later and now it's finally happening! All aboard the HYPE TRAIN!!!:pilotfly:

This thread has been through a long journey indeed. From speculation of a possible new module to the final release :D

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Communications

Greetings, fellow Viggen lovers. It was certainly worth the wait!

However, something I'm struggling with is the comms menu, where some of the options which are normally white are in black font, which I believe means that I'm not transmitting. Has anyone else encountered this? I'm sure the fix is easy, I'd love some pointers! :helpsmilie:

Greetings, fellow Viggen lovers. It was certainly worth the wait!

However, something I'm struggling with is the comms menu, where some of the options which are normally white are in black font, which I believe means that I'm not transmitting. Has anyone else encountered this? I'm sure the fix is easy, I'd love some pointers! :helpsmilie:

I think it's because you have Easy comms turned on.

Welcome to the forum! :)

Happy birthday Viggen! :)

It's been 50 years since the first flight.

Mission: "To intercept and destroy aircraft and airborne missiles in all weather conditions in order to establish and maintain air superiority in a designated area. To deliver air-to-ground ordnance on time in any weather condition. And to provide tactical reconaissance imagery" - F-14 Tomcat Roll Call

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I finally had my first flights in the Viggen. What a wonderful aircraft. The cockpit is beautiful and looks fantastic in VR. My first Viggen landing ever had a roll-out distance of merely 450m.

This looks like it is going to be a DCS classic. Well done LNS!

• Like 1

Anyone else having trouble setting up popup points?

Did like it says to in the manual: tact/input enter bearing and distance from waypoint, select the target waypoint (M2 in this case), go back to akt pos but am only getting the M2 target point without the U2 popup point before?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Let me add a question, anyone got automatic leading to work with AKAN and ARAK? I'm in mastermode ANF, tracking the target then going trigger unsafe. At that point I would expect the sight to step as the necessary lead is applied, but it stays where it is. Weapons subsequently land behind the moving target.