AV-8B Harrier Thread

Angelthunder

I just don't get how a bunch of you are all over this saying "disappointed, Harrier won't be out untill x months away"...

I'm neither a teenager nor full of angst (well I wasn't last time I checked). Neither would I presume to speak on behalf of others or try and generalise other people’s thoughts and concerns...

What I would say is that my personal disappointment at the current state of release (or lack there of) is more to do with Prowlers recent comments that I -no one else- but I interpreted as signalling an imminent release.

It’s possible that others too may have read too much into his very cryptic comments which if you read back I think you would have to agree was signalling something that clearly has not come to pass. Also, it's possible that delays have come from ED and RAZBAM were unsighted on it and were "hyping" in good faith, who knows?

Either way it’s not the end of the world, no one’s died, there are a lot bigger badder things in life to worry about, but if you find yourself this upset by people posting their thoughts maybe you should give this thread a bit of a rest for a bit?

Techlabs Chameleon Watercooled Gaming PC - Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.7GHz : Samsung 950 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 500 gig SSD, Seagate 1TB 7200RPM Drive : MSI GeForce GTX 1080 "Founders Edition" 8192MB : 800W '80 Plus Gold' Modular Power Supply : 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz : Occulus Rift S : TM Warthog : MFG Crosswind V2 : Win 10 64. PointCTRL.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm neither a teenager nor full of angst (well I wasn't last time I checked). Neither would I presume to speak on behalf of others or try and generalise other people’s thoughts and concerns...

What I would say is that my personal disappointment at the current state of release (or lack there of) is more to do with Prowlers recent comments that I -no one else- but I interpreted as signalling an imminent release.

It’s possible that others too may have read too much into his very cryptic comments which if you read back I think you would have to agree was signalling something that clearly has not come to pass. Also, it's possible that delays have come from ED and RAZBAM were unsighted on it and were "hyping" in good faith, who knows?

Either way it’s not the end of the world, no one’s died, there are a lot bigger badder things in life to worry about, but if you find yourself this upset by people posting their thoughts maybe you should give this thread a bit of a rest for a bit?

I readed prowler too, and if you are no teenager, you would be dissapointed right now

I7 7700k - Msi Z270 Gaming+

GTX 1070ti

16gb @2400

2x Samsung 850EVO 250/500 - 1x HDD 1TB

SAITEK-MAD CATZ CYBORG FLY 5 STICK

WIN 10

but if you find yourself this upset by people posting their thoughts maybe you should give this thread a bit of a rest for a bit?

Agreed. You will always find some level of displeasure posted from to time. Can't really ever recall joy being expressed of having to wait for an open ended number of weeks. I will just say chalk it up as another lesson learned about expectations here. Keep them low so you won't get upset when you get news similar to this. And that's not to say this is bad news. It's just a missed curve ball.

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

Screen_170912_120413.jpg

Is that a new Caucasus map? Anyway looks great :thumbup:

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

Screen_170912_120413.jpg

Is that a new Caucasus map? Anyway looks great :thumbup:

Yes, that's the new Caucasus map.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

Good finding, finch. I hope that is not a limitation of the DCS engine.

In fact it has been brought up previously and yes it was stated it currently is a limitation in DCS. They cannot currently do vectored thrust exhaust/heat blur effects. Right now can only point out the rear. I know it was also stated that Razbam is trying to work with ED to get it to work apparently. Hopefully those efforts are fruitful.

Fingers crossed they do because it really needs to work. Also a nice ground deflection effect, a de-tuned/tuned effect similar to the Heli prop wash would work I would guess, when it is hitting the ground. Lets' hope 2.5 can allow this kind of stuff. Be terrible if not. It really would complete that picture.

Edited by Torso

Looks good. Will happily buy it once I consider Mirage more or less "done". I.e. manual ready and FM fixed :)

AMD R7 5800X3D | Aorus B550 Pro | 32GB DDR4-3600 | RTX 4080 | VKB MGC Pro Gunfighter Mk III + Thustmaster TWCS + VKB T-Rudder Mk4 | HP Reverb G2

FC3 | A-10C II | Ка-50 | P-51 | UH-1 | Ми-8 | F-86F | МиГ-21 | FW-190 | МиГ-15 | Л-39 | Bf 109 | M-2000C | F-5 | Spitfire | AJS-37 | AV-8B | F/A-18C | Як-52 | F-14 | F-16 | Ми-24 | AH-64

NTTR | Normandy | Gulf | Syria | Supercarrier |

Going to delete this..off topic.

Edited by sze5003

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

Uh.... Nozzles, hovering, bombs, hoover.

But seriously, I had a question on how the lift over gate for the nozzles will work.

Assuming the nozzle control lever will be on an axis. Is it possible to set the gate with click spots or bottons, then not allow the lever to travel past the gate without pushing a button?

So, you press button, in cockpit effect is the lever is lifted so you can move the lever no matter where the gate is.

This would allow use of the stop as in real life. Pilots don't need to look down to move nozzles to stovl and it'll be in the correct position.

Just me 2 cents.

(PS, that's on top is, don't delete the thread, it's a good one)

-Shadow

Aurora R7 || i7K 8700K || 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s || 2TB M.2 PCIe x4 SSD || GTX 1080 Ti with 11GB GDDR5X || Windows 10 Pro || 32GB Dual Channel DDR4 at 2667MHz || Virpil Warbird Base || Virpil T-50 Stick || Virpil MT-50 Throttle || Thrustmaster TPR Pedals || Oculus Rift

Uh.... Nozzles, hovering, bombs, hoover.

But seriously, I had a question on how the lift over gate for the nozzles will work.

Assuming the nozzle control lever will be on an axis. Is it possible to set the gate with click spots or bottons, then not allow the lever to travel past the gate without pushing a button?

So, you press button, in cockpit effect is the lever is lifted so you can move the lever no matter where the gate is.

This would allow use of the stop as in real life. Pilots don't need to look down to move nozzles to stovl and it'll be in the correct position.

Just me 2 cents.

(PS, that's on top is, don't delete the thread, it's a good one)

-Shadow

Yes, the hover/VTO stop is modeled, and works as it should

In fact, the only features missing for the moment are the moving map and some TGP functions, the rest is pretty much functional, regarding the avionics, regarding external model, there is a basic damage model (but the logic is there, so no "no wings" fly ability)which will be updated/upgraded with each new iteration.

HUD gives you accurate information in a proper manner, even as some of it still needs to be tuned up (yeah,we are aware of the pitch ladder not properly behaving with the flight path marker)

Flight model is pretty much accurate, and i can openly say that the current AV-8B pilot that tested it, was very much comfortable with what he got from us, even when he put it to it´s paces, but it will be fine tuned for the ultimate simulation experience. I feel very confident to say that this is the most accurate AV-8B representation to date in ANY publicly available simulation software, and as such, is very complex to operate, that´s why it has to be checked more than once.If you find the Mirage 2000C complex to operate, this is perhaps 3 times the workload, it really makes you respect the fine gentlemen currently flying them and taking them to war.

And this is the version without a radar..

Regarding our schedule, yes, we are still on it, what Eagle Dynamics is doing is double checking what has been done, and I´m glad they are doing it, if they feel safe taking a couple of weeks, i´m all for it, the great members of this fine community sometimes forget, it´s not either fast or easy to put out there a product, even worse one with the AV-8B characteristics, and i know this as a FACT, since i spent 13 years publishing flight sim add ons by myself. Sometimes it´s not just the product itself, but what surrounds it.

So this is my story, and I´m sticking to it, mainly because it´s true.

So, if you feel like bashing us and/or our product, please do so, bottom line i´m sure once you got it, you´ll enjoy it. Or maybe you´ll hate it out of frustration, the only thing i can guarantee you is that you´re going to spend many hours learning to operate this bird, and no, you can´t pull "true lies" stunts with it.

• Like 1

Yes, the hover/VTO stop is modeled, and works as it should

In fact, the only features missing for the moment are the moving map and some TGP functions, the rest is pretty much functional, regarding the avionics, regarding external model, there is a basic damage model (but the logic is there, so no "no wings" fly ability)which will be updated/upgraded with each new iteration.

HUD gives you accurate information in a proper manner, even as some of it still needs to be tuned up (yeah,we are aware of the pitch ladder not properly behaving with the flight path marker)

Flight model is pretty much accurate, and i can openly say that the current AV-8B pilot that tested it, was very much comfortable with what he got from us, even when he put it to it´s paces, but it will be fine tuned for the ultimate simulation experience. I feel very confident to say that this is the most accurate AV-8B representation to date in ANY publicly available simulation software, and as such, is very complex to operate, that´s why it has to be checked more than once.If you find the Mirage 2000C complex to operate, this is perhaps 3 times the workload, it really makes you respect the fine gentlemen currently flying them and taking them to war.

And this is the version without a radar..

Regarding our schedule, yes, we are still on it, what Eagle Dynamics is doing is double checking what has been done, and I´m glad they are doing it, if they feel safe taking a couple of weeks, i´m all for it, the great members of this fine community sometimes forget, it´s not either fast or easy to put out there a product, even worse one with the AV-8B characteristics, and i know this as a FACT, since i spent 13 years publishing flight sim add ons by myself. Sometimes it´s not just the product itself, but what surrounds it.

So this is my story, and I´m sticking to it, mainly because it´s true.

So, if you feel like bashing us and/or our product, please do so, bottom line i´m sure once you got it, you´ll enjoy it. Or maybe you´ll hate it out of frustration, the only thing i can guarantee you is that you´re going to spend many hours learning to operate this bird, and no, you can´t pull "true lies" stunts with it.

I found the mirage easier to operate than the f15 actually, well I'm new to the f15. Sounds very exciting, can't wait to learn this one. I very much enjoyed learning the a-10 and it's systems and this sounds like I'll have a lot to do with the av-8b. I appreciate the communication throughout the whole phase too, that's very nice of you.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

Being ED customer for about 15 years, I learned to not have high expectations about anything that happens here. If you read some vague date estimations from a dev, you can be almost certain, that the software won't be released at that time.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

After seeing Youtube footage of the AV-8B Harrier on Falcon BMS and real cockpit footage of it landing on a LHC.Will this aircraft have the same vacuum sounding noises from it's Pegasus engines.

Engine sir, single engine, and a bloody fine thing it is too.

Aside from Spitfire, the UKs use of weather systems or towns to name its aircraft is generally lame however, the Pegasus engine is refreshing and Harrier is a nice bird of prey as is the Hawk and Jaguar is an awesome cat.

The Lightening 2 is a bit crap, it should have been named Zues. :helpsmilie:

Guys you seem like kids....

If the product is not ready, let it mature and be released when it is ready. It is that simple.

Or do you rather get an incomplete release full of bugs and/or with lots of missing features?

Release date estimates in IT (or any big projects for the matter) can never be taken as firm. And spoiler alert, I wouldn't be surprised if nobody gets a Hornet either this Christmas.

• Like 1

If the product is not ready, let it mature and be released when it is ready. It is that simple.

Or do you rather get an incomplete release full of bugs and/or with lots of missing features?

Release date estimates in IT (or any big projects for the matter) can never be taken as firm. And spoiler alert, I wouldn't be surprised if nobody gets a Hornet either this Christmas.

The point of discussion never was about the classic "it looks like it's ready, gimme gimme gimme".

DCS Finland | SF squadron

What an excellent insightful post, just one question... Could you please point us to the posts that are child like? I've just gone back about 10 pages and can't seem to locate any?

Techlabs Chameleon Watercooled Gaming PC - Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.7GHz : Samsung 950 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 500 gig SSD, Seagate 1TB 7200RPM Drive : MSI GeForce GTX 1080 "Founders Edition" 8192MB : 800W '80 Plus Gold' Modular Power Supply : 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz : Occulus Rift S : TM Warthog : MFG Crosswind V2 : Win 10 64. PointCTRL.

Yay!!! :yay:

Seriously though, take your time, smash all those nasty bugs, polish well, don't rush. We understand that in an EA product not all functionalities will be available, but we would expect that, for those already there, they will work as it's supposed to

Looking forward to the EA!

• Like 1

What an excellent insightful post, just one question... Could you please point us to the posts that are child like? I've just gone back about 10 pages and can't seem to locate any?

I guess he is pointing to my long post a couple of pages back.

And I admit, I might have used language that does not convey a message in a polite manner, of which I apologize. That said I still stand behind the gist of the post.

DCS Finland | SF squadron

do we have any anti radiation missile demo so far?

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5