AV-8B Harrier Thread

Angelthunder

To give a better impression on the HUD symbology and the target 'v' markers etc.

From a Gr.7, but probably not much different from an AV-8B.

https://youtu.be/Q8bmk4yZAJI

That was interesting - thanks!

Quite interesting to see how the markers are often aligned with the shadow of a forrest: the sun is in front of the a/c and the area before (flat ground) and after (the forrest itself, the treetops) the shadow are probably heated by the sun but the shadow is cooler.

Also interesting - although this could just be an effect of using the camera to capture the HUD? - is that the V markers seem to be drawn a bit over the actual hot spot. Which would make some sense at least - probably to not obscure/cover the actual point.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is he flying against the wind? Why is the ground speed always lower than the indicated speed?

(I realised this is true in the first part of the video) then it looks like the GS is higher.

Edited by Ignition
watched the full video

If u dont have any indication of where the TGP is looking then how do you align for a GBU drop?

The aircraft has the following AG HUD reticles:

- Free Target Designator (diamond) TD

- Laser Track Target Designator (A crossed diamond) LTTD

- TV Track Target Designator (A square) TTTD

- Maverick Target Designator (A bold X) MTD

- TV FOV target designator (A big rectangle) TFTD

- Iron sights (roll stabilized)

- Rockets sights

- AG gun sights.

I think that anyone of those can be used with the TGP.

In the case of the GBU the LTTD would be used.

The octagon symbol that was in the APKWS video is indeed the field of regard for the TPOD. This is also going to be visible on your EHSD on your MPCD. I don't know if you guys have access to the NATIP/NTRP, but it would be referred to there.

As far as PGM dropping with a TPOD designated target, you'll be using auto mode for delivery. So you'll be IP inbound, centering yourself up on the Azimuth Steering Line (ASL) until pickle.

That was interesting - thanks!

Quite interesting to see how the markers are often aligned with the shadow of a forrest: the sun is in front of the a/c and the area before (flat ground) and after (the forrest itself, the treetops) the shadow are probably heated by the sun but the shadow is cooler.

Also interesting - although this could just be an effect of using the camera to capture the HUD? - is that the V markers seem to be drawn a bit over the actual hot spot. Which would make some sense at least - probably to not obscure/cover the actual point.

In the end it shows quite nicely, why the 'v' markers may show hot spots, but don't necessarily make for a "place bomb here" designation.

You need to identify and check each marker quickly, decide on threat type, choose a target, align and make a delivery somewhere "close" to the marker (as it seems not very precise).

So it may be good to give you pointers on the final run-in on a tasked and prepared bombing run (aka the mark closest to the target WP), but it is far from a magic crystal ball unveiling all enemy locations.

So I am very relaxed about it. :D

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

The octagon symbol that was in the APKWS video is indeed the field of regard for the TPOD. This is also going to be visible on your EHSD on your MPCD. I don't know if you guys have access to the NATIP/NTRP, but it would be referred to there.

As far as PGM dropping with a TPOD designated target, you'll be using auto mode for delivery. So you'll be IP inbound, centering yourself up on the Azimuth Steering Line (ASL) until pickle.

That is great news, just to make sure the octagon shape is basically where the targeting pod is looking ?

also any documentation or source will be highly appreciated!

That is great news, just to make sure the octagon shape is basically where the targeting pod is looking ?

also any documentation or source will be highly appreciated!

Yes, any documentation will be highly appreciated. As I said, the only one I have is quite old.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

We need a current british carrier... Oh, wait a second... :smartass:

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

I'm also curious by his rapid head movement when decsending. I would be interested to know what he's using as reference points or what he's looking at like that...

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

i7-7700K 4.2 GHz, Gigabyte GTX 980 4Gb, Asus Prime z270k, 16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600MHz, Plextor PCIe SSD 256Gb, Samsung EVO 750 SSD 500Gb, 9.5TB SATA incl 4TB Mirrored. Saitek X52-Pro

Did he shake his head at the end of that, like he wasn't happy with his landing?

He must have missed his landmark on the touchdown. They have very specific points on the deck they aim to set it down on. There's a good video about a Marine Harrier that had a front gear that failed, and the deck crew set a stool down where he is supposed to set the front gear down at, and the pilot nailed the landing.

Edit: found it.

Edited by Gunny Highway
  • Like 1

I'm also curious by his rapid head movement when decsending. I would be interested to know what he's using as reference points or what he's looking at like that...

I believe there is a precision landing light system mounted on the superstructure.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Leonardo Da Vinci

"We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch - we are going back from whence we came."

John F. Kennedy

lol, kinda a double post, but just found the original video on youtube from an article on foxtrotalpha...

• Like 1

i7-7700K 4.2 GHz, Gigabyte GTX 980 4Gb, Asus Prime z270k, 16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600MHz, Plextor PCIe SSD 256Gb, Samsung EVO 750 SSD 500Gb, 9.5TB SATA incl 4TB Mirrored. Saitek X52-Pro

I'm resting from the TGP development. But that does not mean that I am not working. I'm working on other pages until i feel that i can finish the TGP.

Now, the ENG (for engine parameters) MPCD page is ready. This page shows you all you need to know about the engine. Also the PHOVER, which is a special page used to test the hover capability, has been enabled but its functionality will wait until the EFM is ready.

17545491_1310314042388564_1616157161893491246_o.jpg?oh=4aab7638fbc82c65c1f34a6a9587ae4c&oe=594F045A&__gda__=1499409989_0537868031bb5367d8e070caf5e64144

MPCD ENG, for engine parameters, page

17833993_1310314102388558_3678331182452740095_o.jpg?oh=bf03996db2128d894e9ac2d8fbac02fc&oe=5990EA5C&__gda__=1502989773_0d7f4cbeb596c964df9155803ed359be

PHOV, for performance hover, page. This page is used to test the engine capability for hovering.

On other news, the AG gunsight is now ready. It includes a slant range indicator. Since there is no radar to indicate true slant range, the value is calculated from onboard sensors, including the radalt.

17814302_1310314289055206_8246600226814657144_o.jpg?oh=88ddef492c93470574f993acb8442bde&oe=5996CCC2

AG gunsight. The engagement range is between 1500 to 6000 feet. The two "V" show the selected minimum and maximum engagement ranges. The last three ticks show 6000, 5000 and 4000 feet range respectively.

17834403_1310314382388530_380196747432843217_o.jpg?oh=e5cfaf11b32f1092e1aabc72625af253&oe=5999E289

AG gunsight. You can see the slant range indicator counting down. In this image it is indicating about 4000 feet slant range.

17834083_1310314519055183_6475406620277930572_o.jpg?oh=de71873e816a11f87bde009b6a4c9bcb&oe=594D59B6&__gda__=1498683142_5f5f45349c4a6c04e384fac212194281

AG gunsight. The slant range indicator is showing that the aircraft is now at the selected engagement range. (The arc is between the two "V"s).

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

Looking great Zeus & RAZBAM team! these little/mini updates with photos are great to be able to follow the development of a DCS module and see a side we rarely see. Thank you for taking the time to keep us updated so regularly.

• Like 1

Windows 10 Pro 64, I5 4690k @4.6GHz with CAPTIAN 240EX AOI, Samsung 850 EVO ,G Skill Ripjaws 16G RAM, Nvidia GTX 970 STRIX, MSI Z97 GAMING 5, WD Blue 1TB HDD, Seasonic M12 II EVO psu, Track IR 5, Pro Flight X-55 Rhino H.O.T.A.S

Freakin awesome. Looking so good. I can't wait to have more MFD's to click. I am curious, do you own a VR headset and if so, does this not have the most open view of any plane made so far? I mean those canopy sills come down to below elbow level pretty much when you see footage from in and out of cockpit. Cannot wait to fly that in VR myself. Curious if you have or not and if view is as good as I am expecting it to be?

Thanks again for taking the time to put these update posts together and sharing with us behind the scenes of a DCS module in the womb as it grows.

• Like 1

Is it just my imagination or was the cockpit model updated?

Canopy frame and dashboard look a lot rounder and less jagged than in previous pictures. :thumbup:

• Like 1

Specs:

i9 10900K @ 5.1 GHz, EVGA GTX 1080Ti, MSI Z490 MEG Godlike, 32GB DDR4 @ 3600, Win 10, Samsung S34E790C, Vive, TIR5, 10cm extended Warthog on WarBRD, Crosswinds

Is it just my imagination or was the cockpit model updated?

Canopy frame and dashboard look a lot rounder and less jagged than in previous pictures. :thumbup:

I was thinking the same.

Looks excellent, can not wait to try this baby out! Keep up the good work!

• Like 1

Techlabs Chameleon Watercooled Gaming PC - Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.7GHz : Samsung 950 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 500 gig SSD, Seagate 1TB 7200RPM Drive : MSI GeForce GTX 1080 "Founders Edition" 8192MB : 800W '80 Plus Gold' Modular Power Supply : 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz : Occulus Rift S : TM Warthog : MFG Crosswind V2 : Win 10 64. PointCTRL.

Whoa, is that engine page predicting how long it's going to take for the engine to spool up?

No matter what it is, it looks really freakin' cool.

• Like 1

DCS modules are built up to a spec, not down to a schedule.

In order to utilize a system to your advantage, you must know how it works.