Normandy Map Discussion

Lenux

makes sense to me, the unit list is the unit list, with all aircraft and vehicles, and the maps are seperate, pick which map you want to use then populate it with units of choice. its gonna be awesome, cant wait, being able to use era aaa wil be a big improvement also

• Like 1

We are Virtual Pilots, a growing International Squad of pilots, we fly Allies in WWII and Red Force in Korea and Modern combat. We are recruiting like minded people of all Nationalities and skill levels.

http://virtual-pilots.com/

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

makes sense to me, the unit list is the unit list, with all aircraft and vehicles, and the maps are seperate, pick which map you want to use then populate it with units of choice. its gonna be awesome, cant wait, being able to use era aaa wil be a big improvement also

agree +1.......era appropriate anti aircraft and vehicals will be great.....common Normandy!:pilotfly:

P-51, 190-D9, 109-K4, Spitfire MK IX, Normandy, and everything else:joystick:

i7 4770K, 4.3ghz, 32gb ram, Windows-10 Pro, Z87 Exstreme4, Corsair 850w psu, Samsung Evo 1T SSD & 250 SSD, Titan-X 12gb OC, Asus ROG Swift 27"/1440p/144hz/1ms monitor, Trackir 5, TM Warthog & 10cm extension, Saitek TPM, MFG crosswind pedals

I'll play the Devil's Advocate here a wee bit, but do we need this level of ground "bling" in what is essentially a flight sim? How much of it will you actually notice whilst zooming along at 250mph, let alone once one has some altitude?

(I noted that DCS is being described as "not just a flight sim", but let's be honest - most of us are here for the fidelity of the flight modelling and various period aircraft, rather than looking forward to driving an M4 through realistically-modelled bocage...)

• Like 1

My *new* AV-8B sim-pit build thread:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3901589

The old Spitfire sim-pit build thread circa '16/17:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=143452

im looking forward to Normandy, with all it comes with, high fidelity aircraft and era appropriate ground vehicals! i want icing on my cake! and yes, i would notice, especially when i'm doing a ground attack. high fidelity planes and period ground objects and vehicals dont have to be mutually exclusive:joystick:

• Like 2

Usual Suspects:joystick:

i7 6700k, 32g, Windows 10, Titan-X 12gb, Asus 27" 1ms 144hz, MFG crosswind pedals, trackir 5, TM Warthog

I think it's not a matter of Important vs not important and more a question of is it more Important than something else. For me I personally think it's nice to have, and while I would'nt want minecraft tanks, I place more importance on the map and damage model and all the other dozens of features we're getting. That being said, high detail is how ED does it's work and I don't see that changing any time soon.

• Like 1

9./JG27

"If you can't hit anything, it's because you suck. If you get shot down, it's because you suck. You and me, we know we suck, and that makes it ok." - Worst person in all of DCS

"In the end, which will never come, we will all be satisifed... we must fight them on forum, we will fight them on reddit..." - Dunravin

I'll play the Devil's Advocate here a wee bit, but do we need this level of ground "bling" in what is essentially a flight sim? How much of it will you actually notice whilst zooming along at 250mph, let alone once one has some altitude?

(I noted that DCS is being described as "not just a flight sim", but let's be honest - most of us are here for the fidelity of the flight modelling and various period aircraft, rather than looking forward to driving an M4 through realistically-modelled bocage...)

Why? For CA and Chopper pilots regardless of period. There will be those that use the map for such. In fact, I can see myself including a chopper mission just to fly around and explore the Normandy map with lots of period vehicles scattered around. The better their detail, the more I will like it.

I can also "see" tank battles one day in this map.

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

If the first video showing WWII ground units with war birds zooming around above has less than good-looking vehicles etc., it will not be good advertising for DCS-W.

It may seem like a completely secondary aspect of DCS-W, but if it looks great, it will draw in customer, if only to use them as back-drops, extras, and objects to blow-up in videos; and people love to make and watch these videos, which make for great advertising DCS-W.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

I can't help thinking you are getting a little too analytical with this Captain Orso. Yes, it is a very very minor problem, that I am sure could easily be addressed when the manpower becomes available.

Hasn't enough been said on the matter now? I think the message was received and understood with your first posting on the subject. Now, you are beginning to sound obsessive!

I agree with you there Cripple :thumbup:

Happy landings,

56RAF_Talisman

Bell_UH-1 side.png

Why do the work twice?

If CA WW2 is on the cards then why build a low detail model and go to the effort of LODs and physics modelling, baking texturing and importing and testing if you're gonna have to do it all over again later with an uprated model? Do it once and do it right.

Besides, people attracted to the CA world enhance player base making multiplayer more immersive and interactive; plus the CA tankophiles could well be drawn into trying the airframes. Increased playerbase = more investment = impetus for further module development.

It's not just about CA players either.

What about the movie makers? I've seen some absolutely fantastic videos where it's not all fly bys and gratuitous air externals but where views of ground units are intrinsic to setting the story giving feel and dynamism and context. I'm sure they welcome some attention on ground units - I certainly do as a viewer.

As long as LODs are optimised efficiently it should have no bearing on us propellor heads.

I do find the blinkers that some seem to adopt round here a bit exasperating...

Why do the work twice?

If CA WW2 is on the cards then why build a low detail model and go to the effort of LODs and physics modelling, baking texturing and importing and testing if you're gonna have to do it all over again later with an uprated model? Do it once and do it right.

Besides, people attracted to the CA world enhance player base making multiplayer more immersive and interactive; plus the CA tankophiles could well be drawn into trying the airframes. Increased playerbase = more investment = impetus for further module development.

What about the movie makers? I've seen some absolutely fantastic videos where it's not all fly bys and gratuitous air externals but where views of ground units are intrinsic to setting the story giving feel and dynamism and context. I'm sure they welcome some attention on ground units - I certainly do as a viewer.

As long as LODs are optimised efficiently it should have no bearing on us propellor heads.

That's all very well Fenrir but current LOD modelling on all aircraft leaves a lot to be desired let alone new ground vehicles. The main concern though is performance and the abilitiy to tweak levels of detail are minimal and semi-global so no opportunity to reduce say ground vehicle detail alone. Of course ground vehicles for low level work will be great but performance hit is a worry.

Edited by klem

klem

56 RAF 'Firebirds'

ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F mobo, i7 8086A @ 5.0 GHz with Corsair H115i watercooling, Gigabyte 2080Ti GAMING OC 11Gb GPU , 32Gb DDR4 RAM, 500Gb and 256Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s + 2TB , Pimax 8k Plus VR, TM Warthog Throttle, TM F18 Grip on Virpil WarBRD base, Windows 10 Home 64bit

Why do the work twice?

That's all very well Fenrir but current LOD modelling on all aircraft leaves a lot to be desired let alone new ground vehicles. The main concern though is performance and the abilitiy to tweak levels of detail are minimal and semi-global so no opportunity to reducce say ground vehivle detail alon.. Of course ground vehicles for low level work will be great but performance hit is a worry.

klem

56 RAF 'Firebirds'

ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F mobo, i7 8086A @ 5.0 GHz with Corsair H115i watercooling, Gigabyte 2080Ti GAMING OC 11Gb GPU , 32Gb DDR4 RAM, 500Gb and 256Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s + 2TB , Pimax 8k Plus VR, TM Warthog Throttle, TM F18 Grip on Virpil WarBRD base, Windows 10 Home 64bit

The T-90 in particular seems to have a high level of detail for a ground unit and to my knowledge has not caused issues. No reason to think it will be any different with the WWII ground units.

Yeah ground objects aren't on the same playing field in terms of model poly count or textures to the degree of ships and aircraft. Ground units typically are around 20-40k in size, there are a few that go above that number but not many. Most of the new ship models are near 100k or more. Aircraft are usually 100-200k, but there are a few extremes in there like the new Mig-29 model at 440k. There are plenty of aircraft though that are below the 100k number, some well below it. For example the 3 WW2 fighters are in the 50-60k range.

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

Yeah ground objects aren't on the same playing field in terms of model poly count or textures to the degree of ships and aircraft. Ground units typically are around 20-40k in size, there are a few that go above that number but not many. Most of the new ship models are near 100k or more. Aircraft are usually 100-200k, but there are a few extremes in there like the new Mig-29 model at 440k. There are plenty of aircraft though that are below the 100k number, some well below it. For example the 3 WW2 fighters are in the 50-60k range.

Well I knew that they aren't on the same levels as aircraft. All I was saying is that just looking at the pictures of the Tiger I (or Tiger II), they don't seem to be any higher detail than the current T-90, or maybe slightly better (which is to say, I think that the Tiger is a great looking model by the way). I could be vastly wrong since I don't play CA frequently but that was just my opinion by looking at things. I guess we will find out soon enough what resolution/poly count the WWII ground units are. Perhaps they are making them sharper since WWII aircraft fly slower? Or they figure people will want to play WWII CA more? Either way it goes, I would imagine that ED is going to do their best to have things optimized well. :thumbup:

Just as long as the possibility of getting something like 50 to 80 odd pilots on a WWII MP server will not be made difficult then that would be great.

WWII in DCS has the opportunity to be massively popular if it starts attracting WWII pilot enthusiast from other titles.

Happy landings,

Talisman

• Like 1

Bell_UH-1 side.png