Garmin GNS 430?

Espéce De salaud

Let's speculate a bit :music_whistling:

I can't think of ED doing anything less than an extremely detailed implementation, they must've reached an agreement with Garmin. This is the product page:

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/in-the-air/discontinued/gns-430w/prod301.html

And some images:

cf-lg.jpg

sc-01-lg.jpg

sc-02-lg.jpg

sc-03-lg.jpg

sc-04-lg.jpg

sc-05-lg.jpg

Maybe not the exact model they are going to implement, but anyhow I want to try this in my Fishbed...

On that link you posted it also says that it is discontinued?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] SMOKE'M:smoke: IF YA GOT'M!:gun_rifle:

H2o Cooler I7 9700k GA 390x MB Win 10 pro

Evga RTX 2070 8Gig DD5

32 Gig Corsair Vengence, 2T SSD.

TM.Warthog:joystick: :punk:, CV-1:matrix:,3x23" monitors, Tm MFD's, Saitek pro rudders wrapped up in 2 sheets of plywood:megalol:

It's been discontinued for a while. The databases are still kept current though. That's just because newer versions have come out. The 530 replaced this, and I believe that is discontinued now as well, replaced by the 600 and 700 series now (touch screen GNS) Never flown with those things yet.

I have flown a ton with the GNS 430 and love it. I know it like the back of my hand. It's still very prevalent in GA aircraft throughout the US.

Edited by Apache600

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The Museum Relic Campaign: --> http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=164322

Community Missions (SP & MP) --> https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=205546

will weather radar be implemented on garmin gps?_

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

Don't forget there's a free Garmin simulator if you want some early practice using a Garmin GNS 430 AW at

• UGKO Kutaisi Kopitnari
  • UGSB Batumi
  • UGTB Tbilisi-Lochini
  • URKA Vityazevo Anapa
  • URKK Krasnodar-Pashkovsky
  • URMM Mineralnye Vody
  • URMN Nalchik
  • URMO Beslan
  • URSS Sochi Adler

http://www.skywarriorinc.com/garmin.htm

Of course the included database doesn't include military AB or DCS specifics.

Edited by Ramsay

i9 9900K @4.9GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Let's speculate a bit :music_whistling:

I can't think of ED doing anything less than an extremely detailed implementation, they must've reached an agreement with Garmin. This is the product page:

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/in-the-air/discontinued/gns-430w/prod301.html

And some images:

cf-lg.jpg

sc-01-lg.jpg

sc-02-lg.jpg

sc-03-lg.jpg

sc-04-lg.jpg

sc-05-lg.jpg

Maybe not the exact model they are going to implement, but anyhow I want to try this in my Fishbed...

Wow yeah me too, I can't wait for it in the mig 21

Don't think it has the capability

The w̶e̶a̶t̶h̶e̶r̶ pictures are from a Garmin GNS 430W.

With an optional subscription to XM WX Satellite Weather and the addition of a GDL™ 69 series datalink receiver, you’ll have access to high resolution weather for the U.S., right in the cockpit. NEXRAD, METARs, TAFs and lightning information can be overlaid on Jeppesen and topographic map databases.
I doubt we will see the feature in DCS.

Having tried the Garmin simulator, I wish ED had gone for a "virtual" GNS 530AW as it's larger screen is easier to read and 3:4 ratio closer to the existing DCS kneeboard pages, etc. Functionally it seems almost identical to the 430 with just a few button and menu changes. I can see why pilots go for the smaller 430 though, as it looks small enough to replace an existing nav. radio set, etc.

Edited by Ramsay
Strike out w̶e̶a̶t̶h̶e̶r̶ They are terrain pictures

i9 9900K @4.9GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

The weather pictures are from a Garmin GNS 430W.

I doubt we will see the feature in DCS.

Having tried the Garmin simulator, I wish ED had gone for a "virtual" GNS 530AW as it's larger screen is easier to read and 3:4 ratio closer to the existing DCS kneeboard pages, etc. Functionally it seems almost identical to the 430 with just a few button and menu changes. I can see why pilots go for the smaller 430 though, as it looks small enough to replace an existing nav. radio set, etc.

Hmm didn't know that. I'm pretty sure those pictures are of terrain, not weather.

The GNS 430 doesn't have the capability to display weather. The pictures above are terrain warning's and topography. Garmin didn't introduce aviation weather into its systems until late model 500's on the IFR GPS systems and the 396 on the VFR systems (if I recall correctly). LNAV and VNAV are what I'm expecting, but it would be nice if we could have the 430W and have the WAAS capability to shoot those LPV approaches, either way I am really looking forward to having it in the cockpit as an avid Garmin user now.

Edited by Destroyer37

Specs:

Fractal Design Define R5 Black, ASUS ROG Strix Z370-E, Intel Core i5-8600K Coffee Lake @ 5.1 GHz, MSI GeForce GTX 1080ti 11GB 352-Bit GDDR5X, Corsair H110i, G.Skill TridentZ 32GB (2x16GB), Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB SSD

The GNS 430 doesn't have the capability to display weather. The pictures above are terrain warning's and topography. Garmin didn't introduce aviation weather into its systems until late model 500's on the IFR GPS systems and the 396 on the VFR systems (if I recall correctly). LNAV and VNAV are what I'm expecting, but it would be nice if we could have the 430W and have the WAAS capability to shoot those LPV approaches, either way I am really looking forward to having it in the cockpit as an avid Garmin user now.

Been awhile since I used one so thanks for the clarification. WAAS is awesome. Like a ILS for small airports. Not many of those on the NTTR map however

The 430 will do XM weather, but correct on the pictures being terrain though. WAAS is nice as long as the airfields actually have WAAS approaches...

I have to protest, we need a Glonass implemented too :music_whistling:

fWjegoR.png

Win 8.1, I7 4770K 4.5ghz watercooled, 240gb SSD in Raid 0, 16GB DDR3-2400, EVGA GTX780 watercooled, LG 29EA73-P (2560x1080)

Cobra M5 *modded by BRD*, CH Pro Throttle, Pro Combat Pedals, TrackIR5 Pro + Delanclip, Bose QC 15, TM Cougar MFD's

300/30 mbps

The W means WAAS-capable for VNAV approaches.

Yes, ED have only said

In parallel with DCS World 2.5, we continue to make progress on ... the option to add a Garmin GNS 430 navigation device that can be installed on various aircraft,
source

So it's not clear which GNS 430 version will be modelled or if it'll be a "virtual device" for many modules i.e. as found in FSX or modernised cockpits with their avionics upgraded based off real airframes.

Any version with a Jeppesen Database and Terrain data would fill in some of the big gaps in DCS's ATC and ensure realistic navigation in the Caucuses, NTTR, Strait of Hormuz and future 3rd party maps.

I'm pretty excited whatever ED come up with as long as it's to equal to Garmin's free trainer and isn't just filled with fictional data from game files.

Edited by Ramsay

ED cant even get ATC comms right, the chances of them getting Garmin nav correctly is about a .01% IMO.

My Setup:

HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Combat Pro Rudders, Trackir 5, i Control w/ipad, powered by Alienware Aurora ALX i7 3930k oc 4.2, dual 980s, 16gb Ram.

The more I think about it the less I think it will be the WAAS version of the 430. To me that's ok because I think that would be beyond the scope of what the 430 is being implemented to do, whitch I believe is to help some of the Russian and older aircraft navigate using Gps if they wish to do so. Since as of now DCS is missing many smaller airports and a few navaids I wouldn't expect a full jepp database either.

ED can basically just add all the GPS fix points (just imaginary points in space), the nearest airport function, DIRECT function, TERRAIN function. The ability to manually add gps fixes and coordinates and Maybe even the flight plan and OBS functions and that would be sufficient for a combat flight sim IMHO. I don't think it has a reason to be FSx payware quality.

Edited by smnwrx

Garmin GNS 430?

The more I think about it the less I think it will be the WAAS version of the 430. To me that's ok because I think that would be beyond the scope of what the 430 is being implemented to do, whitch I believe is to help some of the Russian and older aircraft navigate using Gps if they wish to do so. Since as of now DCS is missing many smaller airports and a few navaids I wouldn't expect a full jepp database either.

ED can basically just add all the GPS fix points (just imaginary points in space), the nearest airport function, DIRECT function, TERRAIN function. The ability to manually add gps fixes and coordinates and Maybe even the flight plan and OBS functions and that would be sufficient for a combat flight sim IMHO. I don't think it has a reason to be FSx payware quality.

Agreed... WAAS won't give you anything different anyway. Unless you're trying to shoot an approach to lower mins(LPV)... And of course the airport/approach has to have the WAAS approach. There really is no use for it in the sim, in my opinion.

I read the topic of this thread, didn't open or care as I wondered that what does that matter at all in DCS?

Then I went to fly KA-50 and first time landing to rearm I jumped to external view and spotted a odd white thing on the tail.... Quick zoom in and it says "GARMIN". A white small antenna stacked on green USA army camo.... Not so pretty look I say...

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

• 4 months later...