Stuck in grass = death

Replication:

Taxi into the grass that surrounds a taxiway.

Come to a stop.

Watch as, even at full afterburner, you are completely stuck.

The only way out is to respawn.

Due to a nice touch in the engine model, going full power while you're stuck results in flameout. Lack of cooling I guess?

Even if this is realistic behavior, I think this is one place where it makes sense to diverge from reality. Making a small mistake during taxi shouldn't ground you for an extra 5 minutes in my opinion.

DCS modules are built up to a spec, not down to a schedule.

In order to utilize a system to your advantage, you must know how it works.

Replication:

Come to a stop.

Due to a nice touch in the engine model, going full power while you're stuck results in flameout. Lack of cooling I guess?

Even if this is realistic behavior, I think this is one place where it makes sense to diverge from reality. Making a small mistake during taxi shouldn't ground you for an extra 5 minutes in my opinion.

This is not something unique to the Mig-21.

Its the same with all aircraft.

So its not something Leatherneck can do anything about.

Its up to ED to do such changes.

Same problem in real life. So don't change it, ED :)

• Like 1

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Soviet planes would beg to differ...their huge wheels where made for rougher terrain. If it isn´t raining (and thus muddy) I think they should be able to atleast crawl around...but that´s not an expert opinion.

I found that kicking rudder left and right at full power gets you free with all aircraft that have nose wheel steering...sadly, the MiG-21 doesn´t...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

GCI: "Control to SEAD: Enemy SAM site 190 for 30, cleared to engage"

Striker: "Copy, say Altitude?"

GCI: "....Deck....it´s a SAM site..."

Striker: "Oh...."

Fighter: "Yeah, those pesky russian build, baloon based SAMs."

-Red-Lyfe

Best way to troll DCS community, make an F-16A, see how dedicated the fans really are :thumbup:

Real pilots have to wait hours or longer before they can fly again if they get stuck in the grass. Are you really worried about a few minutes? Learn to stay off the grass. Grass is bad for big heavy fighters on small tires.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi6j9H5h77MAhVP5mMKHYjvDqsQjRwIBw&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.reddit.com%2Fr%2Fhoggit%2Fcomments%2F3nj2wd%2Fthe_reason_why_you_get_stuck_in_the_grass_with%2F&psig=AFQjCNFrfGhih7qFtBOaCD-UCT4azrtxGA&ust=1462370275689797

21920148_BG3.jpg

Just think of all DCS grass areas as being well watered, meaning it will not hold up to the weight of the jets.

• Like 1

Soviet planes would beg to differ...their huge wheels where made for rougher terrain. If it isn´t raining (and thus muddy) I think they should be able to atleast crawl around...but that´s not an expert opinion.

Yep.

The prop planes are among the only planes in DCS that are able to land and takeoff from grass or dirt. While I agree that most of the fighter jets modeled are indeed unable to move on grass, I know that some specific planes would be able to but aren't in DCS, talking about the F-86, MiG-15, L-39 and, yeah, the MiG-21. Perhaps even the Flanker could move slowly on grass but that's even working in DCS, depending on weight.

However, this all would not apply to every field IRL.. only those maintained to be more or less flat.

Edit:

Another thing is that the A-10C is totally unable to land or takeoff from the desert on NTTR.. that should also be possible.

Edited by codefox

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i hear alot stating STAY off the grass, BUT ......what about the harrier when it arrives. will it have the same identity as a plane or a helicopter

as the harrier can takeoff from grass.

attachment.php?attachmentid=139968&d=1462287619

As for russian Birds hehehe i think this sums them up, i hear they used them to plow fields lol :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=139969&d=1462287730

19656632610_9d8ac618cf_b.thumb.jpg.81684342eb3fb7cff7fd66d47dedb866.jpg

Su-25_in_water.jpg.dd70df8651ad1503a0f1df472b78f410.jpg

Water cooled i9-9900K | Maximus Code XI MB | RTX3090  | 64GB | HP Reverb G2 

Replication:

Come to a stop.

Actually the Mig has one advantage over that bug. Today i had the same on 104th after a crash land on the grass on Maykop. I repaired then rearmed and ofc i could not takeoff, I rearmed again with only JATO and got unstucked in secs!

"These are not the bugs you are looking for..":pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My YouTube channel

SPECS

-AMD FX8370 8 Core Processor 4.2 ghz

-GIGABYTE 970A-UD3P

-GTX 1050 TI Windforce 4g

-16 GB RAM

-Saitek X 52

-FaceNOIRtrack - 3 point clip Red Led

The prop planes are among the only planes in DCS that are able to land and takeoff from grass or dirt.
If you do it gently you can land and take off from the grass next to runways with the Su-27 and Su-25A. I manages to do that 3 times in a row on VA server with 20% fuel and empty pylons.

If you do it gently you can land and take off from the grass next to runways with the Su-27 and Su-25A. I manages to do that 3 times in a row on VA server with 20% fuel and empty pylons.

Yes, as I mentioned the Flanker is also more or less capable of doing so, depending on weight. Been parking it on grass every now and then. Never tried the Frog for that tho. Seems like most 3rd party modules are affected by weird ground physics regarding unpaved surfaces, as you can see with the Gazelle for example.

Edited by codefox

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This a common misconception. No aircraft can take off from grass or dirt unless that dirt or grass is prepared and maintain the weight. Most airfields, AFAIK, would not take the time and effort to compact the ground and prepare it and the ones that do also have some limitations.

Additionally, jet engines are very susceptible to foreign or domestic material/object, causing Foreign/ Domestic Material Damage (F.O.D. and D.O.D). So running a jet engine (without special filters, i.e. Mig-29A, SU-27S, etc. or engine placement like the A-10) at high power settings on ground or grass that has not been properly maintained and cleared form objects like rocks would kill that engine or cause DOD, that will kill the engine.

Edited by mvsgas
  • Like 1

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

I'm not sure what Leatherneck try to model, but my guess is FOD affecting the engine. Basically, every rock, dirt, etc. going down the engine and destroying compressor blades

DamagedFan.jpg

I would disagree, at most, made into an option so every one can play their own way. I would agree in arcade mode it should work like that.

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Yep.

Things to consider

What versions of the Mig-21 is that? Does it have modifications (like intake filters) that allow it to land in fields? The Mig-21 is used by so many countries that is has sub versions of the subversion which are further modified. What is the weight of that aircraft? How was the field prepared to accommodate the aircraft?

Edited by mvsgas

To whom it may concern,

I would also like to point out that the SU-25 picture and the Mig-21 video, they do not have any stores loaded. No tanks, no weapons. Not very useful combat aircraft if you can only do this for show.

But, the A-10 can at least do it with training munitions.

zi5_bcb08o0

I would also love to see a video of a SU-25 going at takeoff speed in that much water.

To whom it may concern,

I'm not sure what Leatherneck try to model, but my guess is FOD affecting the engine. Basically, every rock, dirt, etc. going down the engine and destroying compressor blades

The engine starts with no issues after it happens. That's why I said flame out and not engine fire/seizing/destruction.

DCS modules are built up to a spec, not down to a schedule.

In order to utilize a system to your advantage, you must know how it works.

Things to consider

What versions of the Mig-21 is that? Does it have modifications (like intake filters) that allow it to land in fields? The Mig-21 is used by so many countries that is has sub versions of the subversion which are further modified. What is the weight of that aircraft? How was the field prepared to accommodate the aircraft?

These are regular Bis and UM versions. After failed feature of blown under-intake nozzle in Su-7, the Russians didn't bother with modifying intakes, but rather concentrated on landing gear (Su-7BKL being most prominent example). Later, 4th gen fighters were the first to feature intakes designed with FOD prevention in mind.

Obviously the planes on the clip don't carry anything, and the field is most probably not an ordinary sheep-run either, but Warsaw Pact airbases usually had a grass strip next to the concrete one, prepared for similar emergency/training ops, which were not something extraordinary back in a day.

Not that it bothers me all that much in the game, as most of taxiways in DCS are wide enough for convenient and safe taxiing, but let's not get stuck in the immersion (based on Western, post-F-16 planes?) that any surface which is not concrete and squeaky clean means trouble for combat planes, 'cause that's not always the case.

• Like 1

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Things to consider

Can't say anything about weight, but Finnish Air Force did do some of their own experiments with Mig-21s when they were being phased out. One of the experiments involved taxiing on dirt roads. IIRC FOD wasn't any particular problem as the intake is above and in front of the nose wheel. But that's second hand knowledge. I haven't read any actual documents about those experiments.

• Like 1

Things to consider

All Russian planes can! That's the reason for big undercarriage and wheels Vodka logic

Mig-21 Headbutter

"These are not the bugs you are looking for..":pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My YouTube channel

SPECS

-AMD FX8370 8 Core Processor 4.2 ghz

-GIGABYTE 970A-UD3P

-GTX 1050 TI Windforce 4g

-16 GB RAM

-Saitek X 52

-FaceNOIRtrack - 3 point clip Red Led