[Reported] TrackIR Orientation Flips when Exceeding 90 Degrees on Vertical Axis

[Reported] TrackIR Orientation Flips when Exceeding 90 Degrees on Vertical Axis

I have set the view limit for looking up to 110 degrees in server.lua because that is about how much i can see when looking up in real cockpit (have to arc by back a little tough).

However when the view (head angle of virtual pilot) exeeds the lift vector (90 deg up) the image gets flipped 180 degrees.

For example: in vertical climb, when looking straight up, you see the horizon, inverted ofcourse which is how it should be naturally, but when you exeed that 90 deg up, the horizon gets flipped from inverted to non inverted, as you would be looking at it straight at level flight.

Device: TrackIr 4

Software: TrackIr 5 latest.

No mods, latest beta build

Edit: Same thing with default server.lua

But i got rid of the annoyance by restricting the pitch axis to 76% (pitch Y saturation 76%) and it still seems to give me about 100-110 degrees upwards angle which i feel is correct enough, but the view is still somehow bugged. it feels like it doesnt center it self properly in the y axis (up/dwn,not pitch).

Could be my track ir profile that just doenst work with these new head tracking settings. anyways i will be using the old default.lua untill these changes are done and permanent.

Edited by voodooman
added game version information

truble while looking up with TrackIr5

After last update DCS 1.5.4.54855.129 i have an issue while looking up!

I use TrackIr 5.4.

Look back and right till stop my neck is correct!

But looking up is breaking my mind! :cry:

Please look my video: https://youtu.be/X4blU-Ccb94

Мой позывной в DCS: _SkyRider_

Мой канал YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGdfzT7-xbgvmPwmUcCNArQ?view_as=subscriber

My callsign on DCS is: _SkyRider_

My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGdfzT7-xbgvmPwmUcCNArQ?view_as=subscriber

Thanks For the input and feedback and video guys,

This is being actively discussed in the 1.5.4 TrackIR Behavior thread as well.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Indeed, it is. :-) Hope it gets fixed.

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

After last update DCS 1.5.4.54855.129 i have an issue while looking up!

I use TrackIr 5.4.

Look back and right till stop my neck is correct!

But looking up is breaking my mind! :cry:

Please look my video: https://youtu.be/X4blU-Ccb94

Actually it looks like DCS has the range of motion correct, it would be better though if the view didn't suddenly snap. But in reality your head can't look straight up and back until you see the tail of your plane. You can only look directly up about 90d. The first part of the video shows the correct motion to look up and back.

image.thumb.jpeg.9804dfec6b720f7b8bf55340134a069a.jpeg

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

Head position misaligning

If you look up 90 deg, or further, you will notice that your current head moves awkwardly away. Easiest to see on FW-190D as it`s got that metal reinforcing above canopy. This issue exists however on other modules as well.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Look at your motion in the TrackIR software. Odds are VERY good that your reflectors are going out of range... The TIR software gets very confused when the dots align, or when one or more of them is not visible to the camera. If you can't distinctly see all three dots (triangle with the clip, or vertical bar with the "pro"), neither can the software...

Look at your motion in the TrackIR software. Odds are VERY good that your reflectors are going out of range... The TIR software gets very confused when the dots align, or when one or more of them is not visible to the camera. If you can't distinctly see all three dots (triangle with the clip, or vertical bar with the "pro"), neither can the software...

No, this is new incorrect behavior within DCS, completely separate from the reference points going out of range.

Actually it looks like DCS has the range of motion correct, it would be better though if the view didn't suddenly snap. But in reality your head can't look straight up and back until you see the tail of your plane. You can only look directly up about 90d. The first part of the video shows the correct motion to look up and back.

Im not talking about being able to see your tail looking up, but if your face is pointing straight up, edge of your vision is somewhere around 120-130 irl.

Ingame the trackir movement represent both your neck and your eyes, not only your neck. Ofcourse different types of helmets restrict that fov in vertical axis somewhat, but it is still more than your monitor can show you. that's why i feel setting that to 100-110 deg gives you about 120-130 degrees to the edge of your fov. I have modified head size in server.lua so my settings might not be right for you if yours is default.

But anyway, what i really came here to say is that restrict your trackir pitch axis to 76% (y saturation) and you dont have to suffer this annoyance anymore. if that 76% is not correct for you, just experiment a little and you find the spot when it doesnt flip to inverted anymore. when you find it, it should be the same as before.

Edited by voodooman

Just chiming in to say I'm suffering with the new behavior also. A look straight up snaps to a mirror image. Very disorienting in a dogfight. I'm running the same setup I have for the past couple years. I will try adjusting my Tir settings but the previous iteration felt perfectly realistic. Sad to see it go.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

[Dogs of War] WWII COMBAT SERVER | P-51D - FW190-D9 - Me109-K4

Visit Our Website & Forum to Get More Info & Team Speak Access

Despite several searches I can't find the 1.5.4 TrackIR Behavior thread.

Can someone provide a link to that thread?

Thanks

Edit: Please disregard, I found the thread.

Edited by jjohnson241

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

3rd Mar Div

RVN '66-'67

The angle of view limit doesn't bother me so much as it's similar to other flight sims in that regard. It could be better if the flipping effect was gone and your view just stops at the upper limit which is how it's handled in those other sims.

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

Same here only difference is I am using FTNIR V200 with 3 IR clip model - real bummer in dogfights...:smoke:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i5 4690K | ASUS Z-97PRO Gaming Mobo | Nvidia Gigabyte GTX970 3.5/0.5 GB Windforce3 | G.Skill Ripjaws-X 2x8GB DDR3 1600Mhz | Samsung Evo 120GB SSD | Win10 Pro | Antec 750w 80 Bronze Modular

The angle of view limit doesn't bother me so much as it's similar to other flight sims in that regard. It could be better if the flipping effect was gone and your view just stops at the upper limit which is how it's handled in those other sims.

The angle of view limit was already present in previous versions. The flipping is obviously a bug that needs to be removed.

• Like 1

The angle of view limit was already present in previous versions. The flipping is obviously a bug that needs to be removed.

I guess I hadn't noticed at some point it was changed. I know when I first got the A-10 in 2012 it was possible to look up until you saw the tail of the plane.

I have this "flipping" as well. I didn't notice it until I tried dog fighting in an F-15C tonight.

CPU: i7 980x @ 4.2GHz RAM: 24gb Corsair Vengeance

MB: Gigabyte Sniper X58 w/onboard Soundblaster X-Fi

HD: SanDisk 480gb SSD OS: Win7 Pro 64bit

VIDEO CARD: EVGA GTX 980ti FTW

MONITOR: LG 34" Ultrawide 2560x1080

MP SERVER: ibuypower i7-4810MQ w/Win7 Home 64bit

GEAR: Saitek X-52 Pro; Combat Rudder Pedals; Throttle Quadrants. Thrustmaster MFD's, TrackIR 5 w/Pro Clip, Turtle Beach X-12 Headset

I have this "flipping" as well. I didn't notice it until I tried dog fighting in an F-15C tonight.

It's maddening when trying to dogfight! The more I've adjusted settings, played with TIR software, and dogfought (real word?) the more I really do not like the new adjustments. I don't think the mud-movers here get it as much because their not swinging their view all over the virtual sky like the air-to-air folks.

HA! I got sent to this thread by SkateZilla's closure of another thread:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2845997#post2845997

and he states that this matter was resolved and to come here to this thread? For what, I don't see the resolve mentioned here, only the problem.

:huh:

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

Play with your Track Ir Pitch axis settings in game.

Lower the Y saturation until it doens't flip anymore.

For me it stopped flipping at 76%. But i have modified server.lua so it might be different for you...

Or use the old default.lua. then its the same as before.

could not find link for it so i put it in my dropbox:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i2cq7s39kecm6ci/default.lua?dl=0

Put inside DCS World/config/input/aircrafts/default/trackir

Edited by voodooman

Play with your Track Ir Pitch axis settings in game.

Lower the Y saturation until it doens't flip anymore.

For me it stopped flipping at 76%. But i have modified server.lua so it might be different for you...

Here's the thing: The 'image-flipping' is one thing... but I've just found, the more I play with the new changes, it just makes it a mess in general. There is so much more trackir centering for me now. When I switch back to the default settings, it is so much more stable and there is much less need to hit my centering button. Sheesh, just restore the old default settings for TrackIR folks pretty-please. :-)

Edited by wilbur81