VSN flyable aircraft mods

1 hour ago, an-dre-as said:

but also for the SK 60

I did 4 missions for the Sk60, they are now on the hands of the Sk.60 developer, hopefully he will include them on the next release of that Mod. 👍

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Just two questions about the new F4. 

How can I know the altitude of a locked target in A/A? Does the radar show it? 

There is a sheet with the aim depression angles for A/G weapons? I tried 20, 30 and 40 for bombs at 400 knots and never got a kill. Same with rockets and gun. 

Thanks for the mod and for the help. 

1 hour ago, JorgeB2 said:

How can I know the altitude of a locked target in A/A? Does the radar show it?

No, the radar only shows the range to the locked target, in nm.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

1 minute ago, an-dre-as said:

Nice! Hope that too! 🙂

🙂 these are the missions subjects .. the weapon training missions require the use of the 476th target range mod

Qnf5gFY.jpg

• Like 2

Shame, currently the 476th mod crashes with my OpenXR setup...

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

On 2/2/2023 at 12:15 AM, Doc3908 said:

Very interesting. How did they ever think of employing an AIM7 if they had to visually identify the target. Makes the whole (BVR) missile concept kinda useless. 

FWIW, just as is now, Ground Control Intercept (GCI, EWRS) was used extensively during that war. Equipment was eventually placed within the fighters themselves, but GCI used IFF/SIF to help identify friendly aircraft. Only during peacetime is every aircraft a friend unless they prove otherwise. ROE allows Command & Control to declare aircraft 'hostile' . Though the aircraft commander always has the right to self-defense, they typically have to receive active or passive permission to fire. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants said:

Shame, currently the 476th mod crashes with my OpenXR setup...

Pity, on my DCS works perfectly, but of course I don't have OpenXR  😞

Using mod with beta always carries some sort of risk. I am told and I try to apply each mod slowing, it may crashed a couple of times afterwards, eventually, the sim "adopts" the mod and it would be fine, some how.

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

Hi Rudel !!,

You were kind enough to provide this link to VSN F-4B skins   https://discord.com/channels/511944472230232074/1067480006126751805

I went there on discord. This is a Split Air discord channel and I could find nothing there - no tab for the F-4B, no skins files by Urbi  . Seems everything there is Mirage, Alphajet and Bronco ?  If they are there and I have missed them can you or anyone else who my volunteer tell me where to look on that page? 

Thanks Rudel !!

Elvis

DISREGARD - FOUND IT !!!! 

Hi Rudel !!,

You were kind enough to provide this link to VSN F-4B skins   https://discord.com/channels/511944472230232074/1067480006126751805

I went there on discord. This is a Split Air discord channel and I could find nothing there - no tab for the F-4B, no skins files by Urbi  . Seems everything there is Mirage, Alphajet and Bronco ?  If they are there and I have missed them can you or anyone else who my volunteer tell me where to look on that page? 

Thanks Rudel !!

Elvis

• Like 1

On 2/2/2023 at 4:38 AM, Rudel_chw said:

want to add a few more and then share as a set

Here is my 4th mission for the F-4B/C

I will now edit a similar one but for Carrier launch, and then share the set at User Files. I want to do a few for weapons training too, but I'm waiting a bit for a more updated version of this F4 Mod  🙂

Greetings

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 2/1/2023 at 10:15 PM, Doc3908 said:

Very interesting. How did they ever think of employing an AIM7 if they had to visually identify the target. Makes the whole (BVR) missile concept kinda useless. 

Well, during that era, BVR was in it's infancy still... and the idea of visually ID'ing a target was not even thought of in those early days. 

See, in those days, they were still in the idea of thinking that a ground radar operator would vector you to "the enemies"... which in those days they imagined masses of enemy bombers and strike aircraft coming to sink your ships or nuke your cities... the BVR was imagined to stop some enemies before you got to visual range... raining aluminium everywhere instead of raining artificial "sunshine". Thus, a giant enemy formation flying to you, you just pick one and shoot it before it gets close.

But then, plans rarely survive first contact with the enemy, in the real world. It took real world considerations seen in Vietnam, to show that the original simplicity of employment they imagined, was so clearly flawed that they needed to invent what became IFF, probably among other tech.

Lots of friendlies around the skies, lots of non-combatant aircraft, including civilian airliners just taking people here and there. Lots of reasons. And yet, Vietnam also proved that BVR was also too effective and important to simply abandon, rather, it needed to be developed and refined into an all-new form of combat aviation, one with unique tech, unique support, unique training curriculum. 

Edit addition:

I just remembered that one technique used early on, was to have a pair of Phantoms split up: one would hang back, the BVR "shooter", and the other would burn ahead as fast a sageburner, who would be the "looker" or "spotter" that would vis ID the threat and then burn back out of the line of fire. Once clear, the shooter would take the long distance shot.

Sounds simple enough... and while  I'm sure it worked a few times, I also bet that getting all the coordination and timing just right was probably a LOT harder than it sounds.  Especially given how interceptor radars were totally manual in those days, and trying to use the earliest Sparrow with any effectiveness was probably an exercise in frustration. add in the lack of networked datalink for showing where threats and friendly's are...

Edited by Rick50
  • Like 2

Hello all.

And thanks to the VSN team for all the great aircraft. I've created a Royal Navy version of the F-35B with Meteor and Aim-132 missiles, and a few others, added to the load outs. I've also tweaked the AI flight data to "correct" specs and adjusted the weight so the AI can operate it from the QE2 carrier with both vertical and short take offs and vertical landings. Up to 32 aircraft can take off from the deck. Only a few can land right now as I still need to do some work on the carrier edits. As this is a separate lua file it can be used along side the original VSN F-35 MOD. I've only tested with AI so I have no idea how well the new weapons work with a human pilot yet. Let me know if there is any interest and I can look into getting some files posted.

F-35.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/5/2023 at 2:03 PM, Rudel_chw said:

I will now edit a similar one but for Carrier launch, and then share the set at User Files.

Hi, My training missions are now at User Files, and I created this thread to gather feedback and fix any bugs:

Best regards

• Like 2

23 ore fa, Rudel_chw ha scritto:

Hi, My training missions are now at User Files, and I created this thread to gather feedback and fix any bugs:

Best regards

I have a problem with nose wheel stering of F-4. I can't move the wheel: my rudder works, I use Alt+Q, but the wheel is straigth.

During flight it is really difficult steer the plane, with a little defensive maneuver causes the plane spin.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

On 2/13/2023 at 10:33 AM, limoncino said:

I have a problem with nose wheel stering of F-4. I can't move the wheel: my rudder works, I use Alt+Q, but the wheel is straigth.

During flight it is really difficult steer the plane, with a little defensive maneuver causes the plane spin.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

To steer on the ground, you need to be holding the nose-wheel-steering button while steering. I usually map it to the front paddle of my TM Warthog. As for "steering" in the air - that's all in the flight model. Don't know how realistic it is (I'm quite certain it's not), but it's interesting and challenging, which is what makes this mod fun to fly. As with the real Phantom, the key is to keep your speed up. Fly above 400kts and she responds just fine. Drop below 350 and she gets sluggish. In that case you have two options:

- Nose down and pick up speed

- Drop one notch of flaps, which makes her very controllable (especially after the latest patches), but you won't pick up speed fast and if you do, the flaps will get jammed

Either way, when slow, use the rudder (and at times opposite aileron). And keep re-trimming. The trim is kinda weird, but re-trimming helps during hard maneuvering.

Hope this helps.

Doc

On 2/13/2023 at 10:33 AM, limoncino said:

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

There were several patches released, one which addressed the spin.   If you have not used the patch see Rudel_chw post for the link to the discord.

On 1/31/2023 at 7:43 PM, Rudel_chw said:

For the F-4B recently updated, there is a pack with an extra 4 skins, here:

https://filehorst.de/d/eqCtgJGw

Also, on the Project's Discord there are several fixes that have been released recently: https://discord.com/channels/511944472230232074/1067480006126751805

On the same discord there are a lot of great liveries for the F-4B  by @Urbi

ZTezhyN.jpg

seabat

On 2/12/2023 at 7:36 AM, Beldin said:

Hello all.

And thanks to the VSN team for all the great aircraft. I've created a Royal Navy version of the F-35B with Meteor and Aim-132 missiles, and a few others, added to the load outs. I've also tweaked the AI flight data to "correct" specs and adjusted the weight so the AI can operate it from the QE2 carrier with both vertical and short take offs and vertical landings. Up to 32 aircraft can take off from the deck. Only a few can land right now as I still need to do some work on the carrier edits. As this is a separate lua file it can be used along side the original VSN F-35 MOD. I've only tested with AI so I have no idea how well the new weapons work with a human pilot yet. Let me know if there is any interest and I can look into getting some files posted.

cant get it to take off (non ai) from the QE2   am i doin somehting wrong? thyis is vertial  stol mode or normal mode its like it hasnt enough thrust or something

1 hour ago, JFCshloss said:

cant get it to take off (non ai) from the QE2   am i doin somehting wrong? thyis is vertial  stol mode or normal mode its like it hasnt enough thrust or something

I've only been using it with AI and have never flown the original mod. What version of the QE2 are you using?  I've seen two out there that seem pretty good. Also do you have the latest VSN-35? Are you able to take off from land? If I recall correctly the orig F-35 would not operate as an AI aircraft from carriers and most of the MOD carriers out there only worked well with 1-2 player aircraft taking off from the catapults, which the QE2 should not have. Can you take off from the TARAWA or NIMITZ? It's been so long since I've used the MOD in their original form I can't remember how they behave, lol. Start with trying to take off in the F-35 from the stock carriers, the last VSN had a good read me with carrier instructions. That will let us know if you are having a ship or aircraft issues. I'll get the old stick and rudder out later and see If I'm able to take off using my current MOD files. Also try and see if you can take off from the QE2 with no weapons and maybe 50% fuel load. I know aircraft weight affects how the AI handles take off, not sure how it work with a human pilot. But if the AI can take off I don't think there is a "thrust issue" with the aircraft lua, The only time I've seen an issue like that is when the AI takes off from a stopped QE2 with a full load. The aircraft leaves the deck fine but then crashes into the sea. But if the carrier has good "wind over the deck" full AI take off work fine. 

Edited by Beldin