Normandy Early Access Discussion

SkateZilla

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shadows off the trees look longer than they should be.

Just an observation. Not a complaint.

Time of day. Sun low on the horizon = longer shadows.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

I think the main reason that they look too long, is that they're sharp along the entire length. In real life the shadows would blur and look shorter.

magical-sunrise-through-ground-fog-with-long-shadows-and-sunbeams-picture-id535469354?k=6&m=535469354&s=612x612&w=0&h=8_Dg8Yp8MKItld4tKE6vbFteHhwhxJXB4wlnzB25zqw=

Edited by Boris

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

Shadows settings in the vids I posted were also set to flat for terrain, if that makes any difference. I believe it just changes the shadows from following the terrain.

I think it looks pretty good

Compare to this, see the length of the car shadows even, early morning

https://www.shutterstock.com/video/clip-8607130-stock-footage-close-up-aerial-view-of-traffic-on-interstate.html?src=rel/2499509:0/gg

Thermaltake View 91, Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra, i9 9900K, Corsair H150i Pro, 32Gb Trident Z 3200, Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 2080ti, Corsair AX1200i, Warthog A-10 Hotas, MFG Crosswind pedals, TiR5 Pro, HP Reverb Pro

While we're at it, I've noticed all testers in this thread just love flying during these "Gone with the Wind" / "Pearl Harbor" / "Twilight" - style romantic sunsets, but... could we see at least a few videos in different time of day / weather conditions? :D

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

While we're at it, I've noticed all testers in this thread just love flying during these "Gone with the Wind" / "Pearl Harbor" / "Twilight" - style romantic sunsets, but... could we see at least a few videos in different time of day / weather conditions? :D

Yes.. we've seen the sunset now.

I'd like to see overcast conditions. And some heavy weather...

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/philstylenz

Storm of War WW2 server website: https://stormofwar.net/

I briefly fiddled a bit with it but did not get a result I was hoping for, I think its my mission editor skills or lack of understanding how the weather is set up.

Anyone have a current 1.5 or 2.0 mission that can be downloaded with a specific set of weather parameters? Can then mirror that in Normandy editor and see what it coughs up.

Thermaltake View 91, Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra, i9 9900K, Corsair H150i Pro, 32Gb Trident Z 3200, Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 2080ti, Corsair AX1200i, Warthog A-10 Hotas, MFG Crosswind pedals, TiR5 Pro, HP Reverb Pro

It looks a bit iffy tbh

I loaded the default Thunderstorm preset in both Normandy and 1.5

In Normandy some nice rain squall effects sitting on the runway.

Airborne below the cloud a white haze, and lots of screen flickering flying through the cloud, so I guess still WIP.

Same preset was ok in 1.5

spth.thumb.jpg.37ee2715bad0217d989a886a17fbb7ed.jpg

Fog was disabled

Heres an autumn setting with heavy rain.

Looks much better than the default thunderstorm preset

720 to save time.

It does look nice but until we can see rain on the canopy, it will always look a bit odd to me.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

same again just different time.

In the screeny I posted earlier I would be interested to know how to remove the haze if one can. Fog was set to off, and used the default thunderstorm preset.

Will try some more later on the week.

Edited by Vlerkies

I think it looks great! Overcast conditions have always been to dark in DCS. This looks much better. Looks like a european summer day:) Also, the Normandy campaign, including D-day itself was plagued with poor conditions and summer storms. This looks the part!

It does look nice but until we can see rain on the canopy, it will always look a bit odd to me.

I agree. I also play a lot of race sims as well and they seem to do a great job often of rain on windshield effects. Really great at times. Hopefully this kind of effect is not outside the possibilities/capabilities of ED to create. Maybe their engine just can't do it or maybe no focus has been put towards it. Be nice to see it added for sure.

I agree. I also play a lot of race sims as well and they seem to do a great job often of rain on windshield effects. Really great at times. Hopefully this kind of effect is not outside the possibilities/capabilities of ED to create. Maybe their engine just can't do it or maybe no focus has been put towards it. Be nice to see it added for sure.

I hope it is possible as well. It certainly isn't a deal breaker but having seen the effect in another sim I can appreciate how much it would add.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Some clips of DCS Normandy alpha at different times during the day

3:30:

6:30

9:30:

I don't have a good capturing tool, but will try to upload better videos later this week

Ps thanks for the explanation, Chiclidfan!

Edited by poderoso

@poderoso

The trick to getting YouTube vids to display is to remove everything but the file ID after you paste the link in between the YouTube tags.

i.e. For your first link, you would remove all of the red text like this.

https://youtu.be/06wWsNUW_6M

Edited by cichlidfan

Hi guys, trying to get my settings dialed in with VR. Couple questions if I may...I really like the way the deferred lighting setting looks but I'm running into a problem where the horizon is blinding white. Also blinding white anytime looking near the sun. Anyone else getting this and any solution?

Also with shadows, if I set shadows to high but flat for terrain, doesthat gve high resolution shadows in the cockpit but simple shadows on the ground?

Thanks, Jason

Win 10 Pro, Intel i9 9900k overclocked to 5.1 (water cooled), 64 gb Corsair Dominator platinum RAM (3444 MHz)

Titan RTX overclocked and water cooled

1.1 TB SSD 2 TB M.2 SSD

TM Warthog Stick and throttle

MFG Crosswinds

Reverb VR

Buttkicker LFE, SimShaker, Jetseat.

All DCS modules