Terrible life-decisions: How a DCS-module is made

RagnarDa

Because everyone loves WIP-stuff I thought I'd show you some retroactively.

2013:

Herre's the first video I recorded at the very beginning of the Viggen-project. I modified CptSmileys F-16 FM and figured out how to reverse the engine and remove the FLCS-logic:

Another video with F-16 FM, this time I figured out how the landinggears worked in DCS, except for nosewheel steering that implemented a solution myself.

This is probably the first video of the redone FM that was made from scratch. This video was made by another programmer that shortly after this parted with the project:

This is (needlesly long) collage from around this time of when I tried to figure out why the aircraft in certain conditions would accelerate until it exploded. This happens if the force you apply in one direction is positively linked to the velocity or acceleration in that direction, for example if drag makes the plane go faster. I had'nt yet figured out I could test the FM outside of DCS.

2014:

Landing with reversal? Pretty 3D-model by Riller now in-game!

Automatic thrust (AFK) and other stuff:

Verifying if the take-off distance is correct, and it was!

Demo of a GCI-script I made

-

Verifying spin-behavior with a video of the Viggen in a spin, that is the reason for the camera setting (this behavior is ofcourse been improved since then)

-

First ever picture of an air-to-ground radar in DCS (bugs included)! January 14 2015

Screen_150114_003945.thumb.jpg.8f836e7cc03b28f186ade8901157641b.jpg

Here it is showing ships (sans the bug)!

Screen_150114_170718.thumb.jpg.ec1af0a52c0730f07b6870c6fe445bb0.jpg

And some ground

Screen_150114_173940.thumb.jpg.68d1aac41f04eb0f81cf0385e735cdc2.jpg

Rb15! Awesome Rb04-model by Jedi!

https://youtu.be/dhUNzV672Rw

Jet-wash!

https://youtu.be/OJ0FYY10QRA

Mobile TILS-station demo

https://youtu.be/xSrmC0WgOZY

Rb04 in group mode + Rb05

https://youtu.be/Jqk1vHk0AC8

A demo I did of how I simulated the navigation-system is drifting when the pitot malfunctions.

https://vimeo.com/119382101

The unique “stolpbana” HUD-feature

https://youtu.be/N-KF-Ymvn1U

Landing symbology

https://youtu.be/_8GlBFvef-c

Demo of how latitude could be displayed (a departure from RL-Viggen). Changed into showing longitude instead.

https://youtu.be/OvHiBJe1tXY

Long summary of different features I did during vaction in autumn -15. Includes TILS-landing, different radar-modes, short landing and more

https://youtu.be/RthM_nfhRog

Demo of the guns sight with the unique target velocity measurement (automatic lead on target)

https://youtu.be/lwhKt8HZ3c8

Maverick-sight. It was tricky to simulate the collimation effect since DCS doesnt support this.

https://youtu.be/E8zL56FkCcM

Carrier landing with an arrestor hook-simulation I did. Please note that the replay is slowed down just before reaching the carrier. I also have a video somewhere of before I understood how arrestor cables on carriers worked and I just thought of them as big rubber-bands which made them launch the Viggen backwards of the carrier :P

https://youtu.be/Wm3WWESYts8

Demo of Sidewinders made with a lot of help from Roland. Note how it locks onto clouds, the sun and the ground.

https://youtu.be/C_ZrPLUOSCc

Demo of the dynamic kneeboard:

Screen_160301_212628.thumb.jpg.585e84a1138e077d8dce575ceb0b0e35.jpg

Picture of when I first tried the new external 3D-model the art-guys did. I was blown away!

Screen_160417_204559.thumb.jpg.1ed0f7abdb03f2cc73712485226b14b1.jpg

Picture taken while creating the mini-campaign:

Screen_160612_143818.thumb.jpg.cfe456b5d961cb20412d2778adb83ed4.jpg

Especially in preparation for the Grudge Match in december 2016 a big consern for me was stability. I therefore created some autmated tests that would take-off the Viggen and fly it around for hours.

Screen_160809_041507.thumb.jpg.9a0512c590de1b777cb5850565f64dd8.jpg

Work on the new sexy HUD-textures the Ensamvarg did!

Screen_160818_175317.thumb.jpg.c26d1639aa8fd5c2ff8724ad3e4ae19e.jpg

Here I am trying to make the HUD look nice in the night

Screen_161029_214658.thumb.jpg.86f10ab065a1a57b9171d007f72e494b.jpg

First picture of the new awesome radar Swither did!

Screen_161113_171617.thumb.jpg.ebf9cf503186d115b1de7e1d48407059.jpg

Demo of the simulation of the boogey-wheels

Screen_161120_201156.thumb.jpg.38069f7f8e373e19ec5a9202a5fef5c4.jpg

Picture of working to implement the final HUD-textures the art-guys did! The sizes wasnt the same as the old one so had figure out aligning them properly.

Screen_161205_191438.thumb.jpg.5f3eadc5aa4c4c39382835be441dd643.jpg

Sorry for very long post! I realize the chronology might be messed up too. Hope you enjoy so much that if I find other old stuff I might post it. Happy Viggenering!

Edited by RagnarDa
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

DCS AJS37 HACKERMAN

There will always be bugs. If everything is a priority nothing is.

That was...interesting! ;)

Thanks for all your hard work with this!

I never dared dream about a DCS level Viggen.

Edit: the Nav systems vimeo vid doesn't work due to privacy settings.

Edited by Goblin
  • Like 1

... Sorry for very long post! I realize the chronology might be messed up too. Hope you enjoy so much that if I find other old stuff I might post it. Happy Viggenering!

Thanks a lot for giving us this insight into the development of a DCS aircraft ... The almost three years that this module has been in development serves to illustrate just how difficult this task really is, I'm amazed :)

Two questions spring to mind:

How many people worked on this project?

Who had the idea of doing this aircraft in particular and why? what other aircrafts did you consider before choosing the Viggen?

I know, those are three questions :D

Anyway, thanks a lot for developing this simulation, its actually the DCS aircraft that I enjoy the most: not too complicated as the A-10C and the mission profile is enjoyable.

Cheers!

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Herre's the first video I recorded at the very beginning of the Viggen-project. I modified CptSmileys F-16 FM and figured out how to reverse the engine and remove the FLCS-logic:

:smartass::D

I knew it, it all revolves around the F-16! It is the alpha and the omega!...

Cool, thanks for sharing man. I really enjoy you guys work and I am a fan.

• Like 1

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

I love these posts! Three years from just proof of concepts to a full featured module it's an incredible achievement! Do you have daily responsabilities (e.g. work) besides HB, or it's your full-time job?

By the way, is it still possible to add TILS stations on F10 map?

Regards!

• Like 1

From those it seems that the decision to do an AJ37 was done pretty early, may I ask if you ever considered doing a JA37 instead and what caused you to choose the AJ(S)37? Not saying it was a bad choice, just wondering...

Cool! Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

I haven't been part of this module but the story goes more or less like this:

- There is a guy named Snail, a Viggen lover from the Netherlands who wanted to fly a Viggen in BMS so bad ...

Thanks a lot for the story .. the members of the Viggen team that I have heard of are:

@Cobra8472 - Nick Dackard - Lead artist

@RagnarDa - Christoffer Wärnbring - Lead programmer Viggen project

@Swither - Daniel Malmquist - Lead programmer F14 project, supporting programmer Viggen project

@ensamvarg360 Andreas Sandin - Artist

@BroadcastJedi Teodor Frost - Lead Researcher

@Jriller Anders Karlsson - Artist

This person, Snail, didnt make into this team?

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Terrible life-decisions: How a DCS-module is made

Thanks a lot for the story .. the members of the Viggen team that I have heard of are:

@Cobra8472 - Nick Dackard - Lead artist

@RagnarDa - Christoffer Wärnbring - Lead programmer Viggen project

@Swither - Daniel Malmquist - Lead programmer F14 project, supporting programmer Viggen project

@ensamvarg360 Andreas Sandin - Artist

@BroadcastJedi Teodor Frost - Lead Researcher

@Jriller Anders Karlsson - Artist

This person, Snail, didnt make into this team?

Haha, ok, no snail had nothing to do with the AJS37, it was a forum members effort at first. 4 of those listed above were the guys who took the idea of a AJS37 into action.

This was back in 2012 something I think.

I remember Snail from the old FreeFalcon days, he was behind the Viggen published in FreeFalcon. At that time it was quite impressive even considering Falcon limitations, it was one of the few full 3D cockpit available in that sim.

Regards!

Updated original post with correct years (someone wrote it's been in dev almost 3 years, but it's actually more than 4 years).

The idea to make the AJS37 was formed after a visit to the Swesim-museum in Stockholm. At that time a lot of different airplanes was in development so a more "obscure" one made more sense then. Funnily enough I didn't want to participate at first, but then was so intrigued about learning the physics involved in flight modeling I couldn't keep away. We couldn't find another programmer so when most of the FM was done I thought it would be such a waste if the whole aircraft wasn't finished so I did the avionics as well. Learnt A LOT on the way about C++, physics, math and how airplanes work. Having no formal education in this area it was a challenge to say the least. Someone asked about day-job and I do have one full-time in a completely unrelated area. Not all of us do work day-jobs though.

• Like 1

DCS AJS37 HACKERMAN

There will always be bugs. If everything is a priority nothing is.

... Funnily enough I didn't want to participate at first, but then was so intrigued about learning the physics involved in flight modeling I couldn't keep away. We couldn't find another programmer so when most of the FM was done I thought it would be such a waste if the whole aircraft wasn't finished so I did the avionics as well. Learnt A LOT on the way about C++, physics, math and how airplanes work. Having no formal education in this area it was a challenge to say the least....

Incredible ... kudos for your dedication and smarts ... the end product is really nice, probably my favorite DCS module, along with the Ka-50.

Someone asked about day-job and I do have one full-time in a completely unrelated area. Not all of us do work day-jobs though.

I can only wonder about the aircrafts that you would develop if you could dedicate full time to this .. are you also working on the F-14 too?

Best regards.

Just found this thread. Really interesting read! Thanks for sharing!

It shows how much work goes into these modules and how long it takes to make them happen (especially if this is not your day time job!). Kudos!

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

One of the interesting take-aways of this is just how much a project changes visually from its' inception to release. It's why we try to be very clear with what you're seeing on DCS: F-14 currently is about as far away from the final product as you can get. :)

The Viggen was using development placeholder artwork up until just 1 month before it was announced.

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Very cool, thanks for sharing. I Always appreciate a glimpse at other people's process.

"The Viggen was using development placeholder artwork up until just 1 month before it was announced."

Yeah I found a couple of those videos on Vimeo, by accident, well before you guys released any promo stuff. I Kept the find to myself because I knew you didn't want to share any wip artwork at the time. :)

This work was shared on the Swedish forum www.masterarms.se.

Someone made a thread start wondering if this couldn't be done in DCS too, and as the thread took off, people said " I can do a 3D model", "I can do a skin", "I can do research " and "I can do programming". (I think I remember the AJS37 was the plan very early)

Is this thread still out there? If that's the case i would be really thankful if you could share the link :)

I know there has been some links to this forum in the legendary viggen discussion thread that started here in mid-2015, but I can't find them anymore :(

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Is this thread still out there? If that's the case i would be really thankful if you could share the link :)

I know there has been some links to this forum in the legendary viggen discussion thread that started here in mid-2015, but I can't find them anymore :(

I'm not sure, but in theory it should, there was a Viggen thread before the AJS was released but I can't find that one now.