F/A18E/F Super Hornets block 1 and BLock 2 E/F ( lot 26)

Kev2go

F/A18E/F Super Hornets block 1 and BLock 2 E/F ( lot 26)  

682 members have voted

1. 1. F/A18E/F Super Hornets block 1 and BLock 2 E/F ( lot 26)

• Yes, its a feasible as a potential future module
    • No

• 2 weeks later...
2. The AN/APG-79 Active Electronically Scanned Array (AESA) Radar 
System is classified SECRET. The radar provides the F/A-18E/F Super 
Hornet aircraft with all-weather, multi-mission capability for 
performing air-to-air and air-to-ground targeting and attack. Air-to-
air modes provide the capability for all-aspect target detection, long-
range search and track, automatic target acquisition, and tracking of 
multiple targets. Air-to-surface attack modes provide high-resolution 
ground mapping navigation, weapon delivery, and sensor cueing. The 
system component hardware (Antenna, Transmitter, Radar Data Processor, 
and Power Supply) is UNCLASSIFIED. The Receiver-Exciter hardware is 
CONFIDENTIAL. The radar Operational Flight Program (OFP) is classified 
SECRET. Documentation provided with the AN/APG-79 radar set is 
classified SECRET.

Block I Early II it is

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/FR-2017-09-28/html/2017-20743.htm

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, EnvyC said:

Y'all are working yourselves up over a nothingburger. Nothing is concrete, ED said they were doing a Fulcrum, until they weren't.

when did they cancel it? last I heard it was close by.

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+/ AH64D grip/custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 + Odyssey Ark | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro
 My wallpaper and skins

There's also the "You just never know" from NineLine. It could very well be a yes. This is more than a nothing burger. The A-10C was once the most popular module of DCS. The F/A-18C Lot 20 toppled it. Now, the F/A-18E/F Lot 26 could very well be the new most popular module of DCS (Until DCS: F-35 comes out, and let's be honest, that's not going to happen for a long time). With Top Gun: Maverick there is probably increased popularity of a possible Super Hornet, and given what happened with the Legacy Hornet (With no movie/PR to piggyback off of, it became the most popular module in DCS), it'll probably happen again with the Super Hornet.

If you notice, I said earlier that the F/A-18E/F would be the Lot 26. Why? Because DCS has a history of putting out the latest variant possible of an aircraft. The F-16C Block 50+ is the latest model available (Why they never made a Block 52+ I have no idea). The F/A-18C Lot 20 is the final legacy hornet model. And the Lot 26 incorporates a lot (no pun intended) of improvements from the previous lots. It has an ATFLIR, Datalink, JHMCS, and the same countermeasure system as the legacy hornet. None of those are classified. As stated above, the AN/APG-79 is classified, so we can't go further than that.

I can see it happening: The rectangular intake of a Super Hornet, the 12 AIM-120+2 AIM-9X, shooting down Fulcrums and Flankers, sending bad guys to oblivion, serving faithfully alongside the F/A-18C Lot 20 and F-14A/B. It will change the game of DCS as we know it. It will give ED tons of money and make us happy. Why not?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, SilentSparrow said:

There's also the "You just never know" from NineLine. It could very well be a yes. This is more than a nothing burger. The A-10C was once the most popular module of DCS. The F/A-18C Lot 20 toppled it. Now, the F/A-18E/F Lot 26 could very well be the new most popular module of DCS (Until DCS: F-35 comes out, and let's be honest, that's not going to happen for a long time). With Top Gun: Maverick there is probably increased popularity of a possible Super Hornet, and given what happened with the Legacy Hornet (With no movie/PR to piggyback off of, it became the most popular module in DCS), it'll probably happen again with the Super Hornet.

If you notice, I said earlier that the F/A-18E/F would be the Lot 26. Why? Because DCS has a history of putting out the latest variant possible of an aircraft. The F-16C Block 50+ is the latest model available (Why they never made a Block 52+ I have no idea). The F/A-18C Lot 20 is the final legacy hornet model. And the Lot 26 incorporates a lot (no pun intended) of improvements from the previous lots. It has an ATFLIR, Datalink, JHMCS, and the same countermeasure system as the legacy hornet. None of those are classified. As stated above, the AN/APG-79 is classified, so we can't go further than that.

I can see it happening: The rectangular intake of a Super Hornet, the 12 AIM-120+2 AIM-9X, shooting down Fulcrums and Flankers, sending bad guys to oblivion, serving faithfully alongside the F/A-18C Lot 20 and F-14A/B. It will change the game of DCS as we know it. It will give ED tons of money and make us happy. Why not?

Dont really think that ED still can anyways, what with the radar signature being somewhat...iffy. Foreign export models dont get the secret sauce like the Navy crews get, so there will have to be 2 different radar cross sections for the aircraft.

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+/ AH64D grip/custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 + Odyssey Ark | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro
 My wallpaper and skins

Wait, do Australian (And soon Kuwaiti and maybe even Indian) Rhinos not have the reduced RCS? I don't think so. Correct me if i'm wrong, but if I remember correctly the RCS is based on the airframe, not the inside, so there's no change in RCS. At the same time, it's not like we have to worry about the RCS, it isn't really stealth and the F-16C Block 50+ (I will not stop mentioning there is no Block 52+ until ED adds it, it's not too hard) has pretty much the exact same RCS as a Lot 26 Rhino that ED will model if they're modeling anything.

5 minutes ago, SilentSparrow said:

Wait, do Australian (And soon Kuwaiti and maybe even Indian) Rhinos not have the reduced RCS? I don't think so. Correct me if i'm wrong, but if I remember correctly the RCS is based on the airframe, not the inside, so there's no change in RCS. A

Indeed there is. Navy birds get radar absorbing materials bonded to the skins before they go to paint. Thats an addition foreign aircraft do NOT get. Now thats not to say foreign birds dont have a reduced cross section due to the unique angles, its just not nearly as stealthy as those for US customers.

Edited by Hammer1-1

My wallpaper and skins

Couldnt tell you. I just happen to know what features are installed on the aircraft because thats my job. Ive heard estimates (couldnt tell you how true they are) that its on par with F117 at certain aspects, its just something that makes it that much harder to track. The secret sauce IIRC converts radar energy into heat energy which better dumps it overboard kinda like static wicks do with static electricity. Dont quote me on that, wont be able to confirm it though because all I do is build them. There are a lot of things that only Navy aircraft get that overseas customers dont...and Im not exactly sure which aircraft get them all either; Ive only been at Boeing a short time now.

A little thing to dwell on btw...India is supposedly buying F-18E/F models in 2025; India is also cozying up with China and Russia. Bet your ass they arent getting the latest and greatest even if the sale goes through...which I HIGHLY doubt will. Block 3s are pretty much the only thing being built right now, and its really nice.

My wallpaper and skins

Well, India is distancing itself from Russia, at the very least. AFAIK India-Russia weapons deals are nonexistent other than the boneyard MiG-29 deal. Saying India is a Chinese ally makes no sense whatsoever. All of India's main enemies (Pakistan, Myanmar, China) are either China or an ally of China. China claims the entire India-China border. Indians are burning pictures of Xi. China is most definitely NOT an Indian ally.

Is the secret sauce (converting radar to heat energy) classified information? Please don't give out classified tech on the DCS Forums. Just don't. If it isn't classified, then wouldn't that make export Super Hornets better at avoiding Infrared signatures?

If you are actually working at Boeing on the Super Hornet, I respect you.

Edited by SilentSparrow

17 minutes ago, SilentSparrow said:

Well, India is distancing itself from Russia, at the very least. AFAIK India-Russia weapons deals are nonexistent other than the boneyard MiG-29 deal. Saying India is a Chinese ally makes no sense whatsoever. All of India's main enemies (Pakistan, Myanmar, China) are either China or an ally of China. China claims the entire India-China border. Indians are burning pictures of Xi. China is most definitely NOT an Indian ally.

Is the secret sauce (converting radar to heat energy) classified information? Please don't give out classified tech on the DCS Forums. Just don't. If it isn't classified, then wouldn't that make export Super Hornets better at avoiding Infrared signatures?

If you are actually working at Boeing on the Super Hornet, I respect you.

Its not classified info; its common knowledge. Weapons made in the USA that are exported are often dumbed down for allies intentionally due to laws prohibiting sales of advanced technologies. The M-1 Abrams is a good example: many countries operate it, but how many of them have Chobham armor? Chobham armored tanks dont quite get destroyed like those M1's youve seen get toasted by ISIS during that war. Also goes along that they keep options open for maintenance requirements as well as the buyers putting their own stuff on the aircraft in lieu of just to save money. FYI - the F-15EX being built right now is a derivative of a Saudi Arabia updated F-15 with FBW instead of the old analog stuff. The Quatar birds are sexy. Recently heard Boeing wanted to sell a single seater again, but they opted to keep the rear seat installed to work with the wingman drone program, so the guy in back will have his own plane to fly so to speak.

536f.webp

Edited by Hammer1-1
  • Like 1

My wallpaper and skins

I was talking about the "convert radar signature to heat signature" thing, not the "dumbed down" part for export. We're talking about a DCS Super Hornet, not the F-15EX IRL. For real, wouldn't the "convert radar signature to heat signature" thing make it easier for the Super Hornet to be tracked on IRST?

On 2/18/2021 at 3:17 AM, BIGNEWY said:

Hi,

welcome to the forum, It is not in our plans sorry. 

Hi, can we get the G or the abality to make a C into a G. Or even something close guess? I'm more into the support roll's and Ground attack.

I know it is not going to be 100% spot on. But you got ECM's on planes so why not build one the looks like one. The abalities booted to a much higher level?
ty.

Edited by shaneduce

The G is an Electronic Attack aircraft. For all we know, the G can jam an entire squadron (And a few SAM sites) while killing a few SAM sites and aircraft. This = Classified so hard even Trump couldn't ever get hold of it. We can get an E/F Lot 26 (The last fully unclassified F/A-18) but no more than that.

Edited by SilentSparrow

20 minutes ago, SilentSparrow said:

The G is an Electronic Attack aircraft. For all we know, the G can jam an entire squadron (And a few SAM sites) while killing a few SAM sites and aircraft. This = Classified so hard even Trump couldn't ever get hold of it. We can get an E/F Lot 26 (The last fully unclassified F/A-18) but no more than that.

Did you not read my post? I all said as much they could take a guess and call it a day. They all ready guess at the jammer's in the airframes. Why not a jamming plane just turned to 11?

22 hours ago, SilentSparrow said:

I was talking about the "convert radar signature to heat signature" thing, not the "dumbed down" part for export. We're talking about a DCS Super Hornet, not the F-15EX IRL. For real, wouldn't the "convert radar signature to heat signature" thing make it easier for the Super Hornet to be tracked on IRST?

the exhaust plume behind it makes it easy to track. An increase in thermal temps on the wings isnt going to make it stand out any more than it already does, especially when its not even really measurable.

1 hour ago, shaneduce said:

Hi, can we get the G or the abality to make a C into a G. Or even something close guess? I'm more into the support roll's and Ground attack.

I know it is not going to be 100% spot on. But you got ECM's on planes so why not build one the looks like one. The abalities booted to a much higher level?
ty.

DCS doesnt do ECM environments very well ATM.  No growlers, no prowlers, no spark vaarks, no B-52 with jammers installed...but there is a mod that allows you to skin your hornet like an E/F/G. Doesnt really do anything other than change the look.

• Like 1

My wallpaper and skins

37 minutes ago, Hammer1-1 said:

the exhaust plume behind it makes it easy to track. An increase in thermal temps on the wings isnt going to make it stand out any more than it already does, especially when its not even really measurable.

DCS doesnt do ECM environments very well ATM.  No growlers, no prowlers, no spark vaarks, no B-52 with jammers installed...but there is a mod that allows you to skin your hornet like an E/F/G. Doesnt really do anything other than change the look.

Thanks maybe one day...

1 hour ago, shaneduce said:

Did you not read my post? I all said as much they could take a guess and call it a day. They all ready guess at the jammer's in the airframes. Why not a jamming plane just turned to 11?

Well ED's not really the type of people who'll make guesses at classified tech like that.