VR Zoom Limitations in DCS

Bingo41

People have unrealistic expectations about how easy it is to see objects in real life. As an air traffic controller, I see first hand what it's like to see aircraft and vehicles out the tower windows and I know how far they are from me. You'd be surprised how close things have to be to be seen...the VR is dead on. You would have a hard time seeing an F-18 flying at 10k feet...that's 2 miles away! Think about that!

This , I’ve tested this theory myself many times as a professional pilot. I regularly have traffic pointed out to me by ATC and the best I’ve been able to do is pick up an airliner at 5nm. Anymore then that and they are just to small against a huge sky. That’s a large airliner, anything smaller has to be even closer. I had the joy of watching two military jets do BFM, at around a 5-7nm range. I could see the contrails of both aircraft but could never see the actual planes. So yes, I agree VR has it pretty spot on from my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

IPD in DCS is not at all what the acronym means, they just renamed the old "world size" setting.

The lowest you set it, the larger the world seems in your field of view.

Zip - VEAF :pilotfly:

If you want to learn, talk and fly with french-speaking friends, the Virtual European Air Force is here for you ! Meet us on our Discord and our forum

If you're a mission creator, you may want to check the VEAF Mission Creation Tools (and its GitHub repository) a set of open-source scripts and tools that make creating a dynamic mission a breeze !

if you want to check what it does it's really easy :

- start a mission where you're safely sitting somewhere, e.g. on the runway

- open the options dialog, replace the IPD value with a very low value like 5

- check outside and mentally note the size of the cockpit (without closing the options dialog, the changes are instant)

- type a zero after the single digit, making it e.g. 50

- check outside and immediately notice the size difference

If you want to learn, talk and fly with french-speaking friends, the Virtual European Air Force is here for you ! Meet us on our Discord and our forum

If you're a mission creator, you may want to check the VEAF Mission Creation Tools (and its GitHub repository) a set of open-source scripts and tools that make creating a dynamic mission a breeze !

• 4 weeks later...

However, in multi-player, parity is what we should have between monitor and VR users for their zoom level. Right now, VR users get a very basic zoom, which I assume is probably x2. Monitor users seem to have something like x32. The difference is just ridiculous.

Completely agree. VR users have a big disadvantage.

Also, I want to suggest that maybe VR zoom level can be put onto an axis, so for example I could put it on the slider on my throttle.

As it is right now you have to press and wait a bit and then wait a bit again for it to zoom out.

Agreed ; it should be made possible (either via modding or, better, as an option) to have an instant zoom function that can either be mapped to an axis (axis value → zoom value) or with a fixed value to buttons.

• 1 year later...

What is the latest on zooming with VR please? I have tried to get it work without success. Would really need it at least for the consoles if not outside, but preferably obviously there also as players without VR can use it.

What is the latest on zooming with VR please? I have tried to get it work without success. Would really need it at least for the consoles if not outside, but preferably obviously there also as players without VR can use it.

So VR zoom keybind in UI Layer doesn't work for you?

Yes that is the way to go, also you have two zoom levels can bind to HOTAS.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

• 2 weeks later...

I don’t have an option in the VR tab for zooming. Might there be another setting that is needed to enable this?

6700K@4.6 48Gb - 1080Ti Hybrid - Warthog - RIFT

check the list of planes ... go all the way to the end, and you will find "UI Layer"

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

I don’t have an option in the VR tab for zooming. Might there be another setting that is needed to enable this?

Not in the VR tab of the settings.

Controls tab. Choose UI layer from the left drop down. Or search for:

toggle VR Spyglass Zoom

toggle VR Zoom

Not in the VR tab of the settings.

Controls tab. Choose UI layer from the left drop down. Or search for:

toggle VR Spyglass Zoom

toggle VR Zoom

Thanks. That worked.

6700K@4.6 48Gb - 1080Ti Hybrid - Warthog - RIFT