Windows Mixed Reality Discussion

NineLine

On 12/4/2020 at 10:19 AM, eUK Nibbler said:

Hi guys, just got my first vr with g2. Looks great on all other games but for some reason dcs is a shimmering mess and anything at distance is blurry, chances of spotting enemy at distance is zero! 

I have both wmr and steam vr set as close to native as possible but can't seem to get an even vaguely monitor quality picture. 

Surely it's not this crap in vr? 

It's like playing pilot wings on super nintendo ffs. 

Can get it to a steady 45fps (I guess reprojection) but why can we get a solid non shimmering pic? 

Puttingy face close to dials and they look amazing but sit back and its jagged and shimmery. 

What am I missing? 

4k per eye but not even 1080p quality?! 

Hey round your message and wanted to know if you have a solution. I just bought the g2 and have exactly same problem. My rig i9900k and 2070super. I am so frustrated that game is unplayable.

thank you for your help

51 minutes ago, Tony86 said:

Hey round your message and wanted to know if you have a solution. I just bought the g2 and have exactly same problem. My rig i9900k and 2070super. I am so frustrated that game is unplayable.

thank you for your help

Start here:  

He also has a link for 1080ti (what I used to run). My brother has a 2070S and his looks great on a Vive Cosmos Elite (with lens mods even better)

• Thanks 1

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

2 hours ago, Sr. said:

Start here:  

He also has a link for 1080ti (what I used to run). My brother has a 2070S and his looks great on a Vive Cosmos Elite (with lens mods even better)

Ok thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there!

I hope this is the right forums for my questions. I bought the Reverb G2 two days ago and I'm just not sure whether it is the correct vr set for me or if I have configured it correctly.

My system consists of a Ryzen 7 3700X, RTX 2070 super and 16 GB RAM. My IPD seems to be 58/59mm. Resolution in SteamVR is 54 % as in Bignewy's guide, motion smoothing off. DCS settings are as mentioned in the guides, basically just high terrain textures.

1. The cockpit text and also the mouse cursor overlay of the F14 are mostly unreadable, except when it seems to focus on sth, which it only really does for the "UFC".

2. The terrain is blurry as hell and shimmers (as others mentioned before).

3. I hope my 58mm IPD is not the issue for this.

I don't want to use the G2 for too long and then send it back, so my question is: are these issues due to misconfiguration and are solvable or do I have too weak of a PC or is this inherent for VR and unsolvable at the moment? 

2 hours ago, MrFlatfoot said:

Hi there!

I hope this is the right forums for my questions. I bought the Reverb G2 two days ago and I'm just not sure whether it is the correct vr set for me or if I have configured it correctly.

My system consists of a Ryzen 7 3700X, RTX 2070 super and 16 GB RAM. My IPD seems to be 58/59mm. Resolution in SteamVR is 54 % as in Bignewy's guide, motion smoothing off. DCS settings are as mentioned in the guides, basically just high terrain textures.

1. The cockpit text and also the mouse cursor overlay of the F14 are mostly unreadable, except when it seems to focus on sth, which it only really does for the "UFC".

2. The terrain is blurry as hell and shimmers (as others mentioned before).

3. I hope my 58mm IPD is not the issue for this.

I don't want to use the G2 for too long and then send it back, so my question is: are these issues due to misconfiguration and are solvable or do I have too weak of a PC or is this inherent for VR and unsolvable at the moment? 

What is PD set to under the VR tab on your end? best to start at 1.0

Also, don't confuse DCS "IPD" with actual IPD.

In DCS it refers to "world scale" (cockpit size). IPD (inner pupillary distance) is controlled via the button/slider on the G2. 

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

--Arthur C Clark

vor 11 Minuten schrieb Sr.:

What is PD set to under the VR tab on your end? best to start at 1.0

Also, don't confuse DCS "IPD" with actual IPD.

In DCS it refers to "world scale" (cockpit size). IPD (inner pupillary distance) is controlled via the button/slider on the G2. 

Thanks for the reply!

PD is at 1.0, the force IPD option in the VR tab is off, slider on the G2 is set to 60 mm.

I want to try to disable bloom and activate MSAA, maybe it gets better. If it is solvable by tweaking it's fine. I just don't want do spend weeks on that only to find out that it is just the way VR works and doesn't get any better.

Edited by MrFlatfoot

1 hour ago, MrFlatfoot said:

Thanks for the reply!

PD is at 1.0, the force IPD option in the VR tab is off, slider on the G2 is set to 60 mm.

I want to try to disable bloom and activate MSAA, maybe it gets better. If it is solvable by tweaking it's fine. I just don't want do spend weeks on that only to find out that it is just the way VR works and doesn't get any better.

See my post above referring to Speed of Heat's guide. I have applied his 1080ti to my brother's system (also running a 2070) with great results. He's running a Vive Cosmos Elite, so yours should do well with the G2. You might however consider an additional 16GB of RAM.

You can get there, it will require some tweaking, shader mods etc. The "blur" you're seeing is likely EDs way of reducing shimmer.

This is a great mod for increasing the clarity. Especially great for systems using reduced SS.

My current settings:
SteamVR SS 80% DCS PD 1.0

Screen_210707_071519.png

Edited by Sr.

--Arthur C Clark

vor 5 Stunden schrieb Sr.:

See my post above referring to Speed of Heat's guide. I have applied his 1080ti to my brother's system (also running a 2070) with great results. He's running a Vive Cosmos Elite, so yours should do well with the G2. You might however consider an additional 16GB of RAM.

You can get there, it will require some tweaking, shader mods etc. The "blur" you're seeing is likely EDs way of reducing shimmer.

This is a great mod for increasing the clarity. Especially great for systems using reduced SS.

My current settings:
SteamVR SS 80% DCS PD 1.0

Screen_210707_071519.png

Thanks again, I will try the shader mod and see if it improves.

If the IPD of the G2 was too "big" (since it can't go lower than 60), I wouldn't be able to see anything sharp, correct? Sorry for asking again, but I just want to rule that out. I have googled this and up to 4 mm difference seems to be OK, but since I have no comparison how it should look like with correct lens adjustment I'm wondering if that's a problem.

Edited by MrFlatfoot

Thanks again, I will try the shader mod and see if it improves.

If the IPD of the G2 was too "big" (since it can't go lower than 60), I wouldn't be able to see anything sharp, correct? Sorry for asking again, but I just want to rule that out. I have googled this and up to 4 mm difference seems to be OK, but since I have no comparison how it should look like with correct lens adjustment I'm wondering if that's a problem.

The PD slider will align the "sweetspot" to you eyes, but staring from a 60 PD myself, I usually slide mine about 61-62 and it's fine. I stop when the 2 centers start to converge. I bet you can get by with 60.

--Arthur C Clark

Out of interest in the Steamvr internal WMR settings what do you have set for repojection? 

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

vor 33 Minuten schrieb Krupi:

Out of interest in the Steamvr internal WMR settings what do you have set for repojection? 

If you mean me, I haven't changed anything there, so it should be the default value. I'm checking again tonight.

I ask because last night I started having issues and it was due to the WMR Settings for Repojection, Enabled was overriding steamvr ignoring my steamvr settings and then when I switched it to auto in the WMR settings a day later I suddenly started getting stutters and steamvr crashes. I have now set it to use steamvr and everything feels much smoother again. 

Worth a try. 

For clarification I am talking about these settings within steamvr...

SteamVR-HMD-Menu-Graphics-b.png?ssl=1

Edited by Krupi

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

For reference your system should run faster than mine (specs in sig) and I am using 70% SS and getting ~45 fps. 

That said however I do have 32GB RAM and if you are loading a large mission then the extra ram is highly recommended. 

Which mission are you running, I will check out how it runs on my end. 

Edited by Krupi

Project IX Cockpit

6 hours ago, Krupi said:

I force if off via the Mixed Reality UI (or via the default.vrsettings file), but enabled via the SteamVR per app (DCS) video settings.

--Arthur C Clark

vor 8 Stunden schrieb Krupi:

I ask because last night I started having issues and it was due to the WMR Settings for Repojection, Enabled was overriding steamvr ignoring my steamvr settings and then when I switched it to auto in the WMR settings a day later I suddenly started getting stutters and steamvr crashes. I have now set it to use steamvr and everything feels much smoother again. 

Worth a try. 

For clarification I am talking about these settings within steamvr...

SteamVR-HMD-Menu-Graphics-b.png?ssl=1

I checked and changed the setting to "steamVR per app-setting.

What confuses the hell out of me is the fact that even in the steamVR "room" the text is blurry/not sharp, as if I'd need glasses. There must be something big I'm messing up here...

17 minutes ago, MrFlatfoot said:

I checked and changed the setting to "steamVR per app-setting.

What confuses the hell out of me is the fact that even in the steamVR "room" the text is blurry/not sharp, as if I'd need glasses. There must be something big I'm messing up here...

I would start with the SteamVR UI/Video and click reset page to defaults, global and per app pages. Also check the entries under the WMR settings pages. 

WMR portal.PNG

--Arthur C Clark

vor einer Stunde schrieb Sr.:

I would start with the SteamVR UI/Video and click reset page to defaults, global and per app pages. Also check the entries under the WMR settings pages. 

WMR portal.PNG

After some more google and reading discussions about the G2 I guess what I did wrong was using my eyes to look around, even a little bit. That's what was bothering me...apparently you "can" only look straight ahead and this area is sharp, the rest isn't because the sweetspot for the G2 seems to be reaaally small (I've read it before buying but obviously didn't really know what it means - I do now).

The blurryness in the distance and poor fps are a question of adjustment; I didn't yet have the time to install the shader mod e.g. So the issue comes down to either live with the sweetspot and get used to it, buy another VR-set with a bigger sweetspot or don't use VR at all.

In any case, thank you very much for your help!

After some more google and reading discussions about the G2 I guess what I did wrong was using my eyes to look around, even a little bit. That's what was bothering me...apparently you "can" only look straight ahead and this area is sharp, the rest isn't because the sweetspot for the G2 seems to be reaaally small (I've read it before buying but obviously didn't really know what it means - I do now).

The blurryness in the distance and poor fps are a question of adjustment; I didn't yet have the time to install the shader mod e.g. So the issue comes down to either live with the sweetspot and get used to it, buy another VR-set with a bigger sweetspot or don't use VR at all.

In any case, thank you very much for your help!

Yeah the sweetspot is rather small, but with some use you will find the "just right" spot and position on your own face. Wearing it too tight for example can make it harder to align properly.

--Arthur C Clark

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry... again a problem. I have tried the index headset and found the G2 in comparison better. So I bought one again.

I cleared all USB devices in steamVR before plugging in the G2. But the WMR setup did not work (diamont not responding). Also I randomly see a sound symbol and 50 or 100 (sound level) without changing anything. Sound is cut in the setup and not working anywhere else. Even after reinstalling everything (steamVR, wmr), still no luck.

I bought both g2 via Amazon marketplace and I recognized, that the first one had a different USB-c to -a adapter than my current one. Since it is recognized in wmr, this cannot be a problem, can it?

Any idea how fix the problem?

you have made sure that the cable is properly plugged in to the headset and you do have the  light on on the power brick? 

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

vor 16 Minuten schrieb speed-of-heat:

you have made sure that the cable is properly plugged in to the headset and you do have the  light on on the power brick? 

Since the light on the headset itself is lit and the headset works I think so. But the setup says to look at the diamond. I point the dot on it, sometimes hear a short tone, but nothing else happens. I kind of suspect a driver/software issue.

I will double check tomorrow.

Might check and see if yours could use a firmware update.

--Arthur C Clark

vor 15 Stunden schrieb Sr.:

Might check and see if yours could use a firmware update.

Firmware is up to date. The dot in wmr is on the diamond. It just does not respond. With the former g2 there was an animation on the diamond and a sound and the "intro"  continued. Just not here. It does nothing, even though the dot is on top of the diamond and sometimes the sound effect chimes for a fraction of a second.

I'm talking about this diamond:

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.tenforums.com%2Fattachments%2Ftutorials%2F211129d1541283803-set-up-windows-mixed-reality-headset-windows-10-a-learn_mixed_reality_start.jpg&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.tenforums.com%2Ftutorials%2F120992-set-up-windows-mixed-reality-headset-windows-10-a.html&docid=WQlUuKH0iRMkVM&tbnid=NNgYDd2y2ygrTM&vet=1&source=sh%2Fx%2Fim

Edited by MrFlatfoot

are you getting that through the lens or is it the mirror you are seeing it through?

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

vor 8 Minuten schrieb speed-of-heat:

are you getting that through the lens or is it the mirror you are seeing it through?

Both, I tried to align the dot with the diamond only through mirror image with no luck. That's why I assume it's a software/driver issue. But un- and reinstalling or clearing the caches of wmr and Steamvr (USB device) didn't bring any luck.

Google just brought a result where one had connection issues which I don't have. The headset is detected and works (minus the issues I named).