Windows Mixed Reality Discussion

NineLine

6 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

I have often reflected that in the PC eco  system it is a complete surprise that actually anything works at all, the total number of variables are staggering ...even just at the hardware level.

Yep.  Only reason I own a windows PC today is DCS 🙂  Nothing else on it. Got tired long ago of constant tweaking / updating /reinstalling / rebooting cycle

i9 14900K / 64GB / RTX 4090 / Varjo Aero / Winwing Orion2 + F15EX / Virpil Wrbrd + Alpha Stick + ACE pedals

I think you might have misunderstood what i meant; but its ok in general i have to tweak windows very little, on my  configuration, the problem in diagnosing problems however, is increasingly complex, as even if you had some one with exactly the same hardware, comparatively small changes in say firmware can make it impossible to diagnose 

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

1 hour ago, speed-of-heat said:

I think you might have misunderstood what i meant; but its ok in general i have to tweak windows very little, on my  configuration, the problem in diagnosing problems however, is increasingly complex, as even if you had some one with exactly the same hardware, comparatively small changes in say firmware can make it impossible to diagnose 

Well my point is there is always problems because everything seems to interfere with everything.  I recently discovered that Citrix workspace was preventing reshade activation...even when citrix is closed down to the last visible process 😞.  Every update of a driver or software seems to come with its own unintended collateral damage... too many interfering variables. 

i9 14900K / 64GB / RTX 4090 / Varjo Aero / Winwing Orion2 + F15EX / Virpil Wrbrd + Alpha Stick + ACE pedals

3 hours ago, dburne said:

Steam VR still crashes for me if I use the Beta of WMR for Steam VR. No Steam VR crashes if I opt out of that WMR beta.

same

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

Crash if I use any Beta.

No crash if I use stable.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

_____________Semper paratus, In hoc signo vinces________________

PC: Intel i7-8700K (4.9 GHz), Aorus Ultra Gaming Z370 MB, Gigabyte RTX 3080, 32 GB DDR3 (3,2 GHz), Samsung EVO 860 M.2 500 GB SSD + Samsung 960 M.2 250 GB SSD Gaming: Virpil T-50 CM2, TM WH Throttle, Crosswind pedals, HP Reverb

Ok, stupid question time: Are the motion smoothing settings found in WMR/Graphics via the SteamVR console (while in VR) tied to or affect the SteamVR/Video/Per Application motion smoothing settings?

What is the PREFERED method for using these 2 to enabled (force) motion smoothing for DCS?

I swear I get a different result at random game starts. 

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

--Arthur C Clark

To anyone getting blue screens or disconnects with the G2, have you disabled the "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" option in Device Manager?

I was having issues with my MFD's occassionally disconnecting/reconnecting, and that causing joystick gremlin to go inactive until i alt-tabbed out and reactivated it. I found threads about unchecking that power saving box for all the usb controllers in device manager.

Did that, and haven't had any more MFD disconnect issues since (yet).. but still had G2 blue screen every day or so, and noticed that power management option was also present for the G2 under the Mixed Reality Devices group in Device Manager. Unchecked that, and I haven't had a blue screen the past few days.. hopefully I didn't just jinx it and I'll get one later.. but for anyone having blue screens or other issues.. worth a shot?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sr. said:

Ok, stupid question time: Are the motion smoothing settings found in WMR/Graphics via the SteamVR console (while in VR) tied to or affect the SteamVR/Video/Per Application motion smoothing settings?

What is the PREFERED method for using these 2 to enabled (force) motion smoothing for DCS?

I swear I get a different result at random game starts. 

set it to SteamVR managed in wmr and then in steamvr video settings per application set it to forced

• Like 1

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

30 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

set it to SteamVR managed in wmr and then in steamvr video settings per application set it to forced

gracias

--Arthur C Clark

9 minutes ago, Werewolf_fs said:

AUTO is better option

I disagree. Forced is best option as Stuart said.  Best to have a rock solid 45fps than something jumping around at 45 or 90.  If we were close to getting a solid 90, fine, but atm, I would say forced.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

13 hours ago, speed-of-heat said:

With regards the SteamVR per application setting, do you think there's a performance difference between setting motion smoothing as "Enabled" vs "Forced" ?

Granted there is supposedly a stutter when if flips between 90 to 45, but personally I've never noticed one.

I used to set forced but since 2.7 and adopting your revised 2.7 settings I seem to be getting a lot more 90 FPS time so I'm set to enabled now. That said, I can't tell the difference between 45 FPS and 90 FPS anyway so, apart from the bragging rights, I'm not sure I see the point of setting it to enabled over forced ?

So I guess what I'm asking is, if I'm flying a mission where the terrain and activity means I can only hope for a fixed 45 FPS, am I better of setting enabled or forced, or doesn't it make any difference ?

RYZEN 5900X | 32GB | ASUS Strix RTX3090 | 500GB NVMe OS 1000GB NVMe DCS | Warthog HOTAS | HP Reverb G2 | VA & ViacomPRO

My DCS Apps:    Radio KAOS for DCS      KB Quick - Quick and Easy Kneeboards

so i would say it is circumstantial , if you are using MSAA forced is  much better because it provides a consistent solid frame rate, if you arent using MSAA and you can reach 90 then you need to determine if its can stand the way it changes between the two.

hace 45 minutos, imacken dijo:

I disagree. Forced is best option as Stuart said.  Best to have a rock solid 45fps than something jumping around at 45 or 90.  If we were close to getting a solid 90, fine, but atm, I would say forced.

Forcing reproyection generates big fps problems when changing slot and slot selection menus in MP server or enter in new server. 
It seems like a DCS problem with reprojection, it also happened to me with the Oculus (CV1 and Rift S), but in these you have the advantage
 of being able to turn it on and off with a shortcut and keys (ctrl+keypad1, 2, 3 and 4), not so in WMR, you would have to open the menu from WMR
 to steamVR and you have to turn it off and on, to solve it if the app does not crash.
 Only in AUTO it does not give me these problems in MP.

P.D: I am use now reverb G1 and G2

Edited by Werewolf_fs

dont get caught up in fps ... think frametimes, i should add this is in a WMR context, never used Rift

Edited by speed-of-heat

that was legacy reprojection it never had any effect on wmr headsets

eating my hat no you are right !

3 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

that was legacy reprojection it never had any effect on wmr headsets

Have not touched it in a while so might be confused but would swear on per application setting there was the auto/forced option... can't see it anymore

just updated my comment, Motion Smoothing also got removed (or moved somewhere else) , the meant to remove legacy reprojection 

and yes it breaks in DCS as a result, or it leaves it rather on whatever was the last setting ?

Edited by speed-of-heat

@BIGNEWYworth being aware of as there will be people complaining that it got broke

• Like 1

Hmm, this is weird.  Motion Smoothing is still in the WMR tab, but there is no sign of 'forced' reprojection anywhere that I can see!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

this is the part of the problem WMR talks about Motion Reprojection Mode, the options there are

- Steam App

- Auto

- Motion vector 

- Disabled

In Steam the same thing is Motion Smoothing:

- Enabled

- Forced

- Disabled 

(from memory) because Steam Devs seem to have cocked up.

Auto = Enabled

Motion Vector = Forced

Disabled = Disabled

at the moment there are no options for Motion Smoothing in the Steam UI for WMR users, nor I suspect Oculus users, because they decided to remove Legacy Reprojection mode as it was not functional for those users

Edited by speed-of-heat

22 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

just updated my comment, Motion Smoothing also got removed (or moved somewhere else) , the meant to remove legacy reprojection 

and yes it breaks in DCS as a result, or it leaves it rather on whatever was the last setting ?

Haven't had a chance to look yet, but could it be because you are opted out of WMR for SteamVR Beta ?

Presumably you can revert to the stable SteamVR to get the setting back ?

RYZEN 5900X | 32GB | ASUS Strix RTX3090 | 500GB NVMe OS 1000GB NVMe DCS | Warthog HOTAS | HP Reverb G2 | VA & ViacomPRO

My DCS Apps:    Radio KAOS for DCS      KB Quick - Quick and Easy Kneeboards

nope tried that too, tried opting in to the WMR for Steam VR beta, i will try rolling back to SteamVR stable and see what it does

yep rolling back to the SteamVR stable release (1.16.10) gives you back the motion smoothing options

bug report here:

Motion Smoothing UI for WMR :: SteamVR General Discussions (steamcommunity.com)

Edited by speed-of-heat
  • Like 1

@speed-of-heat Can concur, NO options in SteamVR relating to Motion Smoothing. Beta on both SVR and WMR for SVR

Not tried launching DCS to see what happens yet.

image.png

Edited by zildac
  • Thanks 1

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero