How do I set up on cat?

Hi I am enjoying the FA-18 and if I start a mission from the "runway" I am on the catapult and ready to go. I throttle up and the catapult launches me. But I want to start cold on the ramp and taxi on the the catapult and then launch.

Every time I try this the catapult won't launch me. I just throttle up and slowly roll off the front of the boat.... after doing a cold start. How do I get the catapult to launch from a ramp start.

Also how do I see the tacan of the carrier? or the ATC channel of it? When I click on an air field I see all the information such as TACAN but when I click on the F10 of the carrier I see none of that.

So I can't ask for permission to take off. Maybe that is the problem?

get the launch bar over the cat & press "U" to be connected. Then T/O trim, request take-off and push the throttle forward.

TACAN is set in the ME as an advance option, but I think it's 1X by default.

Cheers.

get the launch bar over the cat & press "U" to be connected. Then T/O trim, request take-off and push the throttle forward.

TACAN is set in the ME as an advance option, but I think it's 1X by default.

Reemember "Finger Lifts" + Throttle forward inorder to set Aferburners.

i7-10700K 3.8-5.1Ghz, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 12GB, 1 x 1 TB SSD, 2 x 2TB SSD2 TB,  1 x 2 TBHDD 7200 RPM, Win10 Home 64bit, Meta Quest 3.

Thanks for the replies and corrections. I just flew a mission over Iran, shot down enemy choppers and destroyed ground targets, returned to the fleet and landed on third attempt...

I have rearmed and refueled and I'm sitting here thinking I don't wanna fall in the water now. So I thought I'd alt tab and check if anyone answered the thread.

This is a feature. As mentioned already, use the finger lifts. Hold 9 and 0 (not the ones on the keypad) simultaneously while pushing the throttle forward.

ehmm? what kind of feature is this supposed to be ? during normal "on land" takeoffs the afterburner light up without any troubles..

why should this be any different on the carrier ?

Pls someone explain this "feature" ? :huh:

Intel I7 - 10700 K @ 3,80GHz / 64 GB DDR3 / RTX 3090 / Win 10 Home 64 bit / Logitech X56 HOTAS / HP Reverb G2  

Running DCS on latest OB version 

How do I set up on cat?

ehmm? what kind of feature is this supposed to be ? during normal "on land" takeoffs the afterburner light up without any troubles..

why should this be any different on the carrier ?

Pls someone explain this "feature" ? :huh:

Read the NATOPS manual. It’s a “feature” of the real life jet you’re flying in the sim...

With weight on wheels and launch bar or tail hook down, the detent is raised for AB and you have to use the finger lifts to get over it, or use 32 lbs of force to push through.

You would obviously have neither of the above on a field takeoff, so the function isn’t engaged by the jet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

I hope there's some logical work-around to the finger lifts for those of us who have a HOTAS without them. Pressing 9 and 0 on the keyboard requires hands off the stick, and the X52 doesn't play too nicely when pressing two buttons simultaneously.

I hope there's some logical work-around to the finger lifts for those of us who have a HOTAS without them. Pressing 9 and 0 on the keyboard requires hands off the stick, and the X52 doesn't play too nicely when pressing two buttons simultaneously.

Hmm, shouldn´t the hands be off at least the stick during cat launch? :)

Hmm, shouldn´t the hands be off at least the stick during cat launch? :)

That is what I do, move throttles to full on my Warthog throttle and take my hand off of the stick.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

If I remember correctly, there are three different keybinds available for finger lifts (left, right and both). Just remap "both" to one button.

i7-6850K | GTX1080 | 32GB DDR4 | Windows 10 Pro

You don't have to put in any controls on the stick. Even after leaving the deck.

Also you have to press 9 and 0 on the keyboard only for the moment when you push the throttle forward to go into AB.

Even if you have to grab the stick, there would be enough time until the Cat launches

I understood that immediately after the wheels leave the deck you turn away to get out of the path of the carrier, should you go for a swim.

So, the 9/0 keys are just an on/off switch, and don't need to be held the whole time?

I just push full throttle, and after a few moments off I go - never really any problem getting off the carrier.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I would say that it's kind of a shift key. You hold it, push the throttle forward and than you can let go of the keys. Afterburner is still active and will stay active.

Why should you immediately turn away from the carrier after takeoff?