Cold War 1947 - 1991

Alpenwolf

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

All of the aircraft above were developed and served during the years of the so called "Cold War" conflict. Just because we are not getting specific variants that were active in specific conflicts, such as the above mentioned Rolling Thunder timeframe, doesn't mean that they weren't in active service until 1991. Most "cold war gone hot" scenarios are fictional anyway, so while yeah I agree you wouldn't be able to say simulate Rolling Thunder (let's forget for a moment that we don't even have a Vietnam map) there are still a multitude of theoretical fictional scenarios you could design and populate with those modules. 

But this goes back to the point that both aplenwolf and I are trying to make, DCS is not remotely trying to create a world or scenario where things fit within their respected place give or take a year.

I think many people get it twisted in by thinking that because all ‘Cold War gone hot’ scenarios are fictional that it means the systems and weapons within can be anachronistic. For example currently for the 80’s we have only the F-5, 37 and FC3. Everything else does not fit within the timeframe. 

I mean we currently don’t even have a map that is pre 2008, the Falklands map is my most anticipated map because it’s truly going to give us somewhere set within a timeframe that supports 80’s Cold War. 

Edited by Gunslinger22
  • Like 2

"I'm just a dude, playing a dude, disguised as another dude."

11 hours ago, rogorogo said:

Short bug report:
"Mountain Peaks" mission. Status message of target showed Blue Coms towers active that were destroyed (tower and most surrounding assets, some AA still up that was NOT relevant accordng to briefing), so maybe a trigger failed or some other lua bug.

I can't see anything wrong with triggers nor the lua script. Nevertheless, changed the line into something else that will still force the same action, so maybe this works better.

Thanks for reporting!

2 hours ago, TheLongShanks said:

Hello, I am fairly new to this server.

I like to fly the Hind. How do I know when Hind missions are available? It doesn't seem to always be a slot.  Also, are there multiple servers? Is there a guide where I can see the differences between them all in one place?

Welcome to the Cold War server, mate! Yes, server and not servers.

When you're viewing the servers' list before double clicking on any server to join, click once on the Cold War 1947 - 1991 server (or any other server you want) and you'd be able to see what modules are included as they are listed just below the server's list. Now, specifically for the Cold War server, you also get to see the mission's time shown under the servers' list, but further to the left under Server Description and Mission Description. It includes something like this:

*** The mission lasts for 4 hours ***   or   *** The mission lasts for 6 hours, unless the objective is completed ***

And by having a look a the Elapsed Time next to the Server Name and Mission Name, you can determine the maximum amount of time left until the mission ends. So if the Hind is not included in the current mission, you'd know (more or less) when the mission's going to be over, before the next one (hopefully with the module you want) goes online.

The main post of this thread includes a list of all missions, and also right below that a list of the currently online missions and in what order they run. This helps you determine what mission is coming up next, and if you check out the second post of this thread (Missions' Briefings) you could find out what modules are included in any mission by viewing the objectives quickly.

Safe flying!

• Like 3

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Cold War 1947 - 1991                                       Discord
Helicopters Tournaments
Combined Arms Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

Server News:

As many of you already know, the server is funded partially by me and partially by your donations. Thanks for all the donations so far! However, I'm forced to tell you that it's been rather a bit dry on your side as of late 😉

I understand how difficult it is for many these days to afford things that used to be affordable. Tough times, I know. So, if you can spare a bit for the server, then please, donate via PayPal to the following address:

hokumyounis@yahoo.com

Thank you all in advance and God bless!

• Like 4

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

Any chance to bring back US carriers ? I understand that search and destroy was probably not the most popular mission, but maybe include carrier based Tomcats in other missions (e.g. Battle for Sukhumi)?

Edited by sLYFa

i5-8600k @4.9Ghz, 2080ti , 32GB@2666Mhz, 512GB SSD

30 minutes ago, sLYFa said:

Any chance to bring back US carriers ? I understand that search and destroy was probably not the most popular mission, but maybe include carrier based Tomcats in other missions (e.g. Battle for Sukhumi)?

I'll see what I can do. And I never though Search & Destroy to be unpopular. Really? I think Jahrom Town being big and difficult for Red to capture and hold is what made it for Red a bit frustrating, if that's what you meant. The mission is on the to-do list, especially Jahrom Town.

As for now, operation Allied Assault kicks off this Friday if you're interested.

Thanks for the donation. Very helpful!

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

6 hours ago, LoneS said:

Sure Alpy. You do more than enough bro. Money is on the way!!!!!

+1 really enjoying this server 🤑

• Thanks 1

Asus Prime X570-P * Ryzen 5800X3D + Scythe Fuma cooler * RTX 4080 Super * Corsair 64GB DDR4 3600MHz * Samsung 980 pro 1Tb + 2Tb nvme * Samsung 850 EVO 512Gb SSD * Corsair RM850x V2/2018 * HP Reverb G2 * CH Fighterstick/Pedals/Throttle * Win11

Thanks for keeping the server up! I personally liked S&D not only for carrier ops, but my impression from casual SRS chatter was that folks didnt like it all too much, but again, thats very subjective. 

The friday missions sounds great, I'll try to be there. 

Btw if you need any info on RL carriers ops and battlegroup formations send me a DM, we've got plenty of knowledge on that in our squadron. 

• Like 1

i5-8600k @4.9Ghz, 2080ti , 32GB@2666Mhz, 512GB SSD

18 hours ago, Alpenwolf said:

I can't see anything wrong with triggers nor the lua script. Nevertheless, changed the line into something else that will still force the same action, so maybe this works better.

Thanks for reporting!

Welcome to the Cold War server, mate! Yes, server and not servers.

When you're viewing the servers' list before double clicking on any server to join, click once on the Cold War 1947 - 1991 server (or any other server you want) and you'd be able to see what modules are included as they are listed just below the server's list. Now, specifically for the Cold War server, you also get to see the mission's time shown under the servers' list, but further to the left under Server Description and Mission Description. It includes something like this:

*** The mission lasts for 4 hours ***   or   *** The mission lasts for 6 hours, unless the objective is completed ***

And by having a look a the Elapsed Time next to the Server Name and Mission Name, you can determine the maximum amount of time left until the mission ends. So if the Hind is not included in the current mission, you'd know (more or less) when the mission's going to be over, before the next one (hopefully with the module you want) goes online.

The main post of this thread includes a list of all missions, and also right below that a list of the currently online missions and in what order they run. This helps you determine what mission is coming up next, and if you check out the second post of this thread (Missions' Briefings) you could find out what modules are included in any mission by viewing the objectives quickly.

Safe flying!

Ok, thanks very much!

Server News:

- Work on a new mission has started.

- The new mission features the Persian Gulf map.

- Nuke bombs included (maybe 1 or 2 bombs max and only if a certain objective is completed and not everyone will have access to the bombs!)

- Scud launchers included - Blue MUST take 'em out!

- Possible ship and an anti-ship scenario.

- Not sure if this is going to be a limited edition for the Cold War server, or just another regular mission. It'll come to me while designing the mission.

- Possible B-52 strike missions (if certain objectives are completed by Blue) and/or F-117's, obviously AI.

• Like 3

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

On 8/3/2021 at 6:47 PM, rogorogo said:

It is, look at the WIP pictures - any of those it "is" Mk-wise and "could represent" loadout-wise would fit nicely to pad out the earlier Cold War era.

That the full fidelity Mig-29 will be most likely an "A" is also good news (another "pilot's plane" that flies for that era instead of a Sega-Nintendo-clicky-frame).

As much as I'm happy about the Mig-29A being made full fidelity, I personally don't see anyone getting excited as in modern servers this thing is beyond superseded by more advanced Bluefor planes although it may play out much better for cold war scenarios but still not exactly fit in any of them. Now if they did make a 29S or any other slightly more advanced version in the Fulcrum family I can certainly see it playing out much better for them. Maybe if they managed to make the 29M it might truly be the best option but then again lets see.

EDIT: I also think I saw someone in the Russian forums say (and please don't quote me on this as I'm not entirely sure) they're still deciding on which Fulcrum variant to make but it's most likely an A model

Edited by carss
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Planes: FC3, P-51, F-86, F-5E, Mirage 2000, F/A-18, F-14, F-16, Mig-19P :joystick:

ED pls gib A-4 and F-4 :cry:

On 8/4/2021 at 4:09 PM, Gunslinger22 said:

Funnily enough though, all the aircraft you have mention apart from the MiG's will be their late in production and service life variants, so in part we will always get the latest of an aircraft in DCS, rather than what they were in initial production or early in their service lives. The A-6E, A-7E and F-8J which realistically are all out of the Rolling Thunder timeframe, with both the 6E/7E being out of Vietnam completely. So no, we still don't have a realistic complete set of aircraft for any timeframe. Heck even our current F-14A doesn't fit within any coldwar scenario. 

For what it's worth, 21bis was the final Soviet production variant. Anything since (other than J-7 and its million permutations) has been an upgraded MF or bis. 23MLA was the penultimate variant, MLD does indeed modernise it further, but not as significant a jump as M/MF -> MLA. There are very, very few aircraft in DCS which represent an 'early' variant or config, except maybe the Fw 190A-8 and the Spit LF IX.

A-6E (pre-TRAM, but even post-TRAM would still kinda work), A-7E, and particularly F-8J would all fit in smoothly with our 1972 MiG-21bis or our mid/late 70s MiG-23MLA.

On 8/3/2021 at 10:17 PM, rossmum said:

It won't, as the A-4 guys have made it clear that they intend to keep it as a free, community-led project without signing anything over to ED or any other official party. IIRC one of the team passed away during development and so the already decided-upon position became basically set in stone to honour their wishes. It's unfortunate for us multiplayer creatures, but it is what it is.

I know that, I'm talking about just an AI asset, so by doing that its not an official module nor is it paid for in any way, it's just an asset that we could all use in various missions, and then there is always the mod to download it which is free

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Planes: FC3, P-51, F-86, F-5E, Mirage 2000, F/A-18, F-14, F-16, Mig-19P :joystick:

ED pls gib A-4 and F-4 :cry:

This may be an unpopular opinion but I am just going to come out and say  it but having the ability to completely blind a side because EWR can be destroyed really just kills the vibe on the server. If this game had decent spotting it *may* be viable but this game probably has the worst spotting out of all the flight sims on the market. 

The only answer to it is to fly lower so you can silhouette planes up against the sky but then that leads to just silly gameplay. People fly higher in Battlefield 2 than they do on this server sometimes. 

This server generally has population for a few hours during US East Prime Time and right now red is completely blind while blue has EWR. So the people who were playing before did not defend the EWRs. They were destroyed and now everyone who decides to join are left with an essentially burnt server. 

Alpen have you ever considered adding some sort of thing to help complement the EWR system. Maybe what TTE has where it gives you a text readout of a bogey picture (its unique to each player and doesn't jam comms)? If people are cheesing it then the only solution I see is to give each player an all seeing eye. That way there is no benefit from flying low.  It's a shame because sneak attacks are going to be void with this but there are just too many people abusing it. 

Edited by Enigma89

46 minutes ago, Enigma89 said:

This may be an unpopular opinion but I am just going to come out and say  it but having the ability to completely blind a side because EWR can be destroyed really just kills the vibe on the server. If this game had decent spotting it *may* be viable but this game probably has the worst spotting out of all the flight sims on the market. 

The only answer to it is to fly lower so you can silhouette planes up against the sky but then that leads to just silly gameplay. People fly higher in Battlefield 2 than they do on this server sometimes. 

This server generally has population for a few hours during US East Prime Time and right now red is completely blind while blue has EWR. So the people who were playing before did not defend the EWRs. They were destroyed and now everyone who decides to join are left with an essentially burnt server. 

Alpen have you ever considered adding some sort of thing to help complement the EWR system. Maybe what TTE has where it gives you a text readout of a bogey picture (its unique to each player and doesn't jam comms)? If people are cheesing it then the only solution I see is to give each player an all seeing eye. That way there is no benefit from flying low.  It's a shame because sneak attacks are going to be void with this but there are just too many people abusing it. 

I was on the server just now and left for the Mission Editor for exactly that reason! Operation Phone Booth is very old, and although I did rework some things in it, in time small issues here and there show up; Like the EWR.

In some mission a replacement EWR spawns after a certain a mount of time (minutes only) so the problem there is minimal. I just noticed that operation Phone Booth doesn't have that, so I just added it. Besides, Mi-8's and UH-1's can always deploy EWR's, but you don't always have someone flying them.

The TTE thing would ruin things a bit as you said it yourself.

Players always fly low on the server. Maybe when the MiG-23 arrives and flies mainly at higher altitudes than the rest (I know, I will), F-5's will be forced to fly higher a bit to counter that. I even fly the MiG-21 at altitudes between 3000 and 5000 m sometimes, hoping for some F-5 to take the bait and tastes some R3R missiles. It's always up to the players and what they do with their modules. Check this out: I once took the Ka-50 in the mission Two Towns (now removed from the mission - Mi-24P' added instead) and flew at 3000+ m, while being partially obscured by the clouds. It was fun hunting tanks from up above! I even made it back to the FARP with lots of kills, despite all the bandit callouts from players and the GCI throughout the whole time I was up there. It was like I was doing my own thing while listening to stressed out pilots dogfighting the enemy nonstop 🙂

Try and have it your own way rather than having the game (or players actually) push you around its (their) way. Doesn't work all the time, but quite enough.

• Like 2

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

2 hours ago, Alpenwolf said:

I was on the server just now and left for the Mission Editor for exactly that reason! Operation Phone Booth is very old, and although I did rework some things in it, in time small issues here and there show up; Like the EWR.

In some mission a replacement EWR spawns after a certain a mount of time (minutes only) so the problem there is minimal. I just noticed that operation Phone Booth doesn't have that, so I just added it. Besides, Mi-8's and UH-1's can always deploy EWR's, but you don't always have someone flying them.

The TTE thing would ruin things a bit as you said it yourself.

Players always fly low on the server. Maybe when the MiG-23 arrives and flies mainly at higher altitudes than the rest (I know, I will), F-5's will be forced to fly higher a bit to counter that. I even fly the MiG-21 at altitudes between 3000 and 5000 m sometimes, hoping for some F-5 to take the bait and tastes some R3R missiles. It's always up to the players and what they do with their modules. Check this out: I once took the Ka-50 in the mission Two Towns (now removed from the mission - Mi-24P' added instead) and flew at 3000+ m, while being partially obscured by the clouds. It was fun hunting tanks from up above! I even made it back to the FARP with lots of kills, despite all the bandit callouts from players and the GCI throughout the whole time I was up there. It was like I was doing my own thing while listening to stressed out pilots dogfighting the enemy nonstop 🙂

Try and have it your own way rather than having the game (or players actually) push you around its (their) way. Doesn't work all the time, but quite enough.

Thanks for adding it. I personally also fly around 3-5k to try to bait some people up higher but most of the time I end up having to go lower, just one of those things about having to have two to tango. 

Thanks again for changing the mission.

Edited by Enigma89

vor 7 Stunden schrieb Alpenwolf:

I was on the server just now and left for the Mission Editor for exactly that reason! Operation Phone Booth is very old, and although I did rework some things in it, in time small issues here and there show up; 

bug report (again only potential bug): PHONE BOOTH

I was on Phone Booth either mid or late-stage yesterday (or rather.. today) around Midnight/0000 Zulu/GMT .
At this point the RED FARP did not offer FUEL with the "sorry, we do not have this item in stock" textline if a Crocodile managed to return or tried to add fuel on spawning.
REARMING on a turnaround was started with the usual "copy" message and finished with the "Rearming complete" textmessage but the actual screen showed random pylons empty (but weapons fired and were present only on the pylons not shown as emtpy.
While I would judge the latter as a module bug (thus disregard) I do not know if the fuel-situation on the FARP was intendend (has run out, got destroyed, no ressupply by Hip aso aso) or a bug, but since it was mentioned that the mission file needed attention elsewhere, I thought I should maybe just make aware of this.

For the bug - trackfile (did not check if it was desynced or not):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1O0Nmf7QD8XAuCpLTh9aLrnQSZl9lmH1z/view?usp=sharing

Question (entirely unrelated):
Are some missions at some point intended to make use of the transport capability (for something like a Manpad Squad, AT or anything feasible, fidelic, sensible for the mission context) at some point (when available, when working, in near future, far future, does not matter, just in general).
This is just a question out of interest, fully aware that the not even the slingload properly works on the module yet, and internal transports have not yet any inner or outer rendering model (which are planned according to Eagle) or the inner render model of the compartment/benches (already present on the outer render model.

7 hours ago, Zachrix said:

This video's footage was filmed today on Phone Booth with no EWR, you'd be surprised how much you could see 😉

Good flying! And I though I'm the only MiG-21 who takes to the sky in a merge rather than a turn 😉 Good to see others do that too. Because that's how it's supposed to be in the MiG-21!

... just like the Dora.

2 hours ago, rogorogo said:

bug report (again only potential bug): PHONE BOOTH

I was on Phone Booth either mid or late-stage yesterday (or rather.. today) around Midnight/0000 Zulu/GMT .
At this point the RED FARP did not offer FUEL with the "sorry, we do not have this item in stock" textline if a Crocodile managed to return or tried to add fuel on spawning.
REARMING on a turnaround was started with the usual "copy" message and finished with the "Rearming complete" textmessage but the actual screen showed random pylons empty (but weapons fired and were present only on the pylons not shown as emtpy.
While I would judge the latter as a module bug (thus disregard) I do not know if the fuel-situation on the FARP was intendend (has run out, got destroyed, no ressupply by Hip aso aso) or a bug, but since it was mentioned that the mission file needed attention elsewhere, I thought I should maybe just make aware of this.

For the bug - trackfile (did not check if it was desynced or not):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1O0Nmf7QD8XAuCpLTh9aLrnQSZl9lmH1z/view?usp=sharing

Question (entirely unrelated):
Are some missions at some point intended to make use of the transport capability (for something like a Manpad Squad, AT or anything feasible, fidelic, sensible for the mission context) at some point (when available, when working, in near future, far future, does not matter, just in general).
This is just a question out of interest, fully aware that the not even the slingload properly works on the module yet, and internal transports have not yet any inner or outer rendering model (which are planned according to Eagle) or the inner render model of the compartment/benches (already present on the outer render model.

I've never ever had any issues with the fuel in any mission in all the years. Must be on your side, mate.

Sometimes the rearming doesn't work, but only if the FARP structures and trucks are destroyed.

I'd love nothing more than having Mi-8's, UH-1's and also Mi-24's and SA342's transport nothing but infantries (EWR's and ammo trucks might still be the exception). The problem is, infantries in DCS are way too rubbish to have them completing any task. We'll have to wait.

• Like 1

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

vor einer Stunde schrieb Alpenwolf:

I've never ever had any issues with the fuel in any mission in all the years. Must be on your side, mate.

good to know - it is an EA-module.. by Eagle themselves.. so Zen is required and present. 
So for the occasional and potential glancer-in-passing:
WORKAROUND: if refuel bug manifests -> return, land, repair, role to spectators, select role, respawn

Transporting, yep, thank you for the info, all good. But even later, DCS is what is this, so any transport capability is an addition to help the on-mission involvement of everyone.

Edited by rogorogo
can I not have the weirdest typos - just for once...
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, rogorogo said:

good to know - it is an EA-module.. by Eagle themselves.. so Zen is required and present. 
So for the occasional and potential glancer-in-passing:
WORKAROUND: if refule bug manifests -> return, land, repair, role to spectators, select role, respawn

Transporting, yep, thank you for the info, all good. But even later, DCS is what is this, so any transport capability is an addition to help the on-mission involvement of everyone.

... and Mi-8's and UH-1's are quite often the decisive factor in winning a mission. They transport vital assets constantly.

• Like 1

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments