Command to initiate Cat shot

bkthunder

Right now, the cat shot starts shortly after you hit MIL power.

This is not really nice IMO, since you don't have time to do things realistically:

- Check controls (ailerons, rudders etc.)

- give the salute signal to the yellow shirt on the deck

- grab the "virtual" towel hanger in the cockpit :P

It would be much better if there was a simple key bind to say that you are "ready to launch" and then after a second you takeoff.

I hope this can be implemented instead of the current system.

Windows 10 - Intel i7 7700K 4.2 Ghz (no OC) - Asus Strix GTX 1080 8Gb - 16GB DDR4 (3000 MHz) - SSD 500GB + WD Black FZEX 1TB 6Gb/s

Right now, the cat shot starts shortly after you hit MIL power.

This is not really nice IMO, since you don't have time to do things realistically:

- Check controls (ailerons, rudders etc.)

- give the salute signal to the yellow shirt on the deck

- grab the "virtual" towel hanger in the cockpit :P

It would be much better if there was a simple key bind to say that you are "ready to launch" and then after a second you takeoff.

I hope this can be implemented instead of the current system.

I thought you did all those things prior to advancing the throttle for launch?? As in the controls check?

AMD Ryzen 9 7845HX with Radeon Graphics           3.00 GHz

32 GB RAM

2 TB SSD

RTX 4070 8GB

Windows 11 64 bit

I thought you did all those things prior to advancing the throttle for launch?? As in the controls check?

According to the many videos on youtube, this check is done with engines at MIL (or even A/B), just before launch.

Windows 10 - Intel i7 7700K 4.2 Ghz (no OC) - Asus Strix GTX 1080 8Gb - 16GB DDR4 (3000 MHz) - SSD 500GB + WD Black FZEX 1TB 6Gb/s

+1

We should have a bindable command, such as "salute" for cat shot. An extra thing which would be cool would be an animated salute from the pilot. At night the command would be turning on the lights. They don't salute in night ops.

I think the way they have it now if fine. No need to do those checks at MIL or AB.

Some of us want to do those checks. I mean why not? It's a simulator, so let the people simulate things.

For the OP, you trigger the cat at MAX, not at MIL. I use the afterburner detent on the HOTAS Warthog and a curvature of 6 to be exactly at MIL. After that I can do my checks, advance to MAX and take off.

But yeah, a command would be cool. :)

Greetings

-K

Modules: Well... all of 'em

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VIII Hero | CPU: i7-6700K @ 4.6GHz | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengance LPX DDR4 | GPU: GTX TITAN X (Maxwell) | SSD1: 256GB NVMe SSD System | SSD2: 250GB Games | HDD 4TB WD Red

Some of us want to do those checks. I mean why not? It's a simulator, so let the people simulate things.

For the OP, you trigger the cat at MAX, not at MIL. I use the afterburner detent on the HOTAS Warthog and a curvature of 6 to be exactly at MIL. After that I can do my checks, advance to MAX and take off.

But yeah, a command would be cool. :)

Greetings

-K

How do you simulate the final salute though, when there's

A: No Cat Launch team visible (needs more 3d models, and animations_

B: No 3D pilot animations to go with it?

:D

AMD Ryzen 9 7845HX with Radeon Graphics           3.00 GHz

32 GB RAM

2 TB SSD

RTX 4070 8GB

Windows 11 64 bit

I want a salute! :-)

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

I salute my cat as he's sleeping on his blanket on the table next to me. Does that count?

yes

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

+1

We should have a bindable command, such as "salute" for cat shot. An extra thing which would be cool would be an animated salute from the pilot. At night the command would be turning on the lights. They don't salute in night ops.

Always the answer to "how to do that?" in a simulator is almost always from how they do that in reality.

Salute (or its nighttime equivalent) is the control mechanism, just as mechanical and important as any switch made of metal. The landing gear doesn't go down without the lever moved. The catapult does not operate without the salute signal.

The salute command should be accessible through the communications menu with a shortcut for direct access as so many communications menu items are. At night a manual flick of the lights would be recognized instead.

Always the answer to "how to do that?" in a simulator is almost always from how they do that in reality.

Salute (or its nighttime equivalent) is the control mechanism, just as mechanical and important as any switch made of metal. The landing gear doesn't go down without the lever moved. The catapult does not operate without the salute signal.

The salute command should be accessible through the communications menu with a shortcut for direct access as so many communications menu items are. At night a manual flick of the lights would be recognized instead.

Bingo, my friend.